Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things you dread in a shared chalet

Poster: A snowHead
Upon meeting fellow guests for the first time, my heart sinks when I see a stupid jesters hat (or similar) or *shudder* an acoustic guitar

Any more?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone called Pandora
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
People who sneer at my gimp mask and drum kit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Internet posters who ask 'Are you Frosty the Snowman?'
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have never stayed in a shared chalet. probably for all the reasons above.

(well except the gimp mask bit). Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
people you avoided 20 years ago because of their dodgy one piece only to find they are still wearing it rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, I'll add Arabella to that, trouble is they are usually the chalet host.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Children & Guitars must be the worst two.

Mind you, any group looking at their Blackberries and loudly discussing how Japanese house price stats will affect the £/yen rate tomorrow... is also to be avoided.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never stayed in a shared chalet. Presumably they're really cheap due to having to bunk up with total strangers, are they? Like staying in a dormitory room at a cheap Amsterdam hotel. Normally I stay in small self-catered places for about a £15 or £20 pppn. How much could I save by staying in one of these horrible-sounding 'communes'?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some youghurt-munching sandal-wearing leftie who inevitably wants to lecture you about the benefits of making your own compost or something, uses blades, and insists in your apres-ing absence that the host cooks EVERYONE the vegetarian option...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

sandal-wearing
The biggest crime of all. With socks = paedophile, Without socks = time to go out and eat elsewhere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the chalet host. Both times I've stayed in a chalet they were useless.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just remembered, a few years ago one particular complete tool walked in for dinner wearing a t-shirt saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but snow and ice excite me". I burned his room to the ground the very same night.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know many people love them, but I can think of nothing worse than sharing a chalet with people I don't know.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But if it's as cheap as I imagine it probably is then it's probably the only way some people can afford a ski holiday.
snow report
Shared chalet at half term for a family of 4 probably about £3-4000. Hardly cheap.
ski holidays
However bad the general public are, they can't be as bad as my mates.

Personally, it's kids. I just can't do it, watching my language all the time, not making any noise after 8pm when they go to bed, mothers breastfeeding in the lounge (way too interesting to be able to chat about skiing) and the inevitable tantrums.

I don't know why it is, but usually when somebody books on these trips alone they turn out to be a complete and unadulterated weirdo. That's probably the reason nobody they know wants to go on holiday with them.

Oh, and groups of 18 year old blokes with snowboards, who think that everything they say is the funniest thing that anybody has ever said. It's not. We've heard your crap jokes before. Have a wash and grow up, and don't wake me up when you get home at 3am telling the same bloody jokes.

God, I am one miserable bug. Luckily when I do chalets it's normally with a big group sole occupancy so everybody knows everybody already.
ski holidays
To even consider staying in a house with a bunch of strangers I'd want it to be about £9 pppn, at the absolute maximum. Otherwise I'd happily pay the extra tenner a night for the sake of my privacy.
ski holidays
Quote:

Personally, it's kids. I just can't do it, watching my language all the time, not making any noise after 8pm when they go to bed, and the inevitable tantrums.

Monium, tell me about - EVERY time I go skiing I seem to end up with 3 kids in my apartment rolling eyes wink
snow report
the following phrases..

"shall i be mum and pour the wine"
"where are we going skiing tomorrow"
"can i get a few tips on how to ski"
"oh god i got so pissed last night, you should have heard/seen/..... "

people who wear beanies 24 hours a day
anyone who wants to talk about off piste risks and avalanches
snow conditions
Kids with High School Musical DVDs Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Ghost Dog, I generally pay only about £1000 for 8 people at half term, and that's without having to share with a load of dodgy strangers. You should demand your money back!
latest report
A bloke from the Office of National Statistics, boring barsteward and his delinquent son, a total cock.

Children

Chalet host that can't cook
latest report
>20's that still say mummy
snow conditions
Spyderman, my favorite was a man who, when asked what he did for work announced "I'm one of the original IP network gurus". I nearly chocked on my lamb-shank.
snow report
Ooh, and another thing.....

People who sit and preach about how much better it is to go self catering, it's so much cheaper, and of course we drove, it only took 14 hours, and we get to fill the car up with reblochon on the way home. The Eurostar was 'free' with our Tesco vouchers, and we avoided the roadworks on the E17 by detouring through a little village de blah blah and taking Jemima out of school is so easy because her Headmistress is lovely, and we bought our helmets as christmas present to each other, and we got our snow tyres off ebay and the chains were so easy to fit with the money we saved on tolls by purchasing our vignette online and those new fangled skis are really awesome and we found hot chocolate on the mountain for only 3 euros and we took sandwiches and ate them on the lift and of course we normally head to a quaint little resort near the Swiss border, you would never have heard of it, there are no English there, only locals and it is only 5 euros a day for a family pass and we got 34 mpg by leaving the windows up and coasting down hill and watch out for speed cameras and aren't boarders wacky sitting in the middle of the slope on the blindside of the rollers but we won't get on the chairlift with them because they knock us over when we dismount, but it is not as bad as the drag lift to Italy in La Rosiere, have you ever been there? and the local ski school are so much better than the ESF, who Jemima didn't get on with last year because they didn't speak fluent English with a Leicestershire accent they were recommended by a complete stranger on an internet forum we use have you heard of it and would you mind awfully not smoking outside the chalet because of little Jemimas cough and the passive smoke is much worse for her than sitting in front of a roaring fire driving us all mad with the constant pinging from her Nintendo DS and and and......I could go on

Shut. The. Hell. Up. And. Learn. To. Use. a. Chairlift. Before. Opening. Your. Stupid. Fat. Mouth. Moron.
snow conditions
I like kids - just usually not their parents. One holiday was blighted by the insistence of one couple that their sprogs watched Barney the Dinosaur on the video every breakfast.

They must die.
latest report
Quote:

I've never stayed in a shared chalet. Presumably they're really cheap due to having to bunk up with total strangers, are they? Like staying in a dormitory room at a cheap Amsterdam hotel. Normally I stay in small self-catered places for about a £15 or £20 pppn. How much could I save by staying in one of these horrible-sounding 'communes'?

good one.

Having read through this list of observations has super confirmed I will NEVER EVER go for a chalet holiday. All I'd ever been bothered about was the drunken sorts/posh tw@ts you may have to endure. I really have been stupid as I completely overlooked there might be the c word there, and that you may have to BEHAVE ABNORMALLY...

Thank you for this thread. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, and another thing....

Excuse us, does anyone mind if we have breakfast at 7:00, because we always get the first lift, and ski until dark, because we are really gnarly and cool, and like to get off piste and explore the back country blah blah blah....

Errm, no, go diddle with your nubbin, breakfast is between 8:00 and 9:00, and the amount of time you spend faffing in the boot room trying to work out which buckle to do up first and contemplating whether your footbeds are in the wrong boot before dropping your ski's outside the front door as your slip on your extensive rear end suggest that your are about as gnarly as jelly. And skiing 2 feet to the left/right of piste markers is not strictly back country, nor is stopping for hot chocolate at the same stop (you know, the one where it is only 3euros and someone told you about on the internet) every 40 minutes to warm up because it dropped below -5'c, whilst you are snow ploughing and side slipping down the same blue groomer to 'practise your carving' just so that you can rush back to ski school in case Jemima causes another international diplomatic incident due to her inability to ride a chair lift without screaming for Childline beacuse 'the funny man put the bar down'.....
snow report
I would consider staying in a larger chalet-hotel type of accommodation - the chances of them ALL being weirdos are reduced! The only chalet we've stayed in was a small one for 8 in Les Arcs - definitely wouldn't stay in one that size again!
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
One holiday was blighted by the insistence of one couple that their sprogs watched Barney the Dinosaur on the video every breakfast.

When they had a real life Dinosaur sitting at the table ? Twisted Evil Toofy Grin I know, people in glass houses etc. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
the chances of them ALL being weirdos are reduced!

Have you been on a Snowheads bash ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Cathy - you've obviously never stayed at the Morris in Val D.
ski holidays
MarjMJ wrote:
I will NEVER EVER go for a chalet holiday. All I'd ever been bothered about was the drunken sorts/posh tw@ts you may have to endure.

Of course, you never ever find any drunken sorts/posh tw@ts in a hotel.....

Having stayed in all sorts of accommodation ranging from shared bunkhouse to 5-star hotel, I've not noticed any correlation between the standard of the accommodation and the stupidity/intelligence/boringness/interestingness/etc of the guests.
snow report
The Voice of Reason, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Dr John, we had an american hippee looking couple once who raved about Watney's Beer. Once I'd put them straight, I asked them what they did for a living, they said they'd taken a break from work, so I asked what they used to do. He said he'd led the team that developed Interferon, she said she led the team that cloned it. Brilliant people with no taste in beer.
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
cathy wrote:
the chances of them ALL being weirdos are reduced!

Have you been on a Snowheads bash ? Toofy Grin

Laughing Ah, you're talking about a self-selecting group of definite weirdos there! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've only ever stayed in a chalet once when I went skiing with my friend and hmmm, I don't think I'd do it again actually thinking about it. The other times I've stayed in a chalet-hotel or in a chalet have been when I've been on a course so all of the guests pretty much have been on the course too so fine to be with on the whole because we'd all travelled with the same company, and the odd one or two that were there just on holiday there because there was some room left were ok too I think.

The time I shared a chalet with my friend with some random people, well a couple of them were ok (they were in a group so it was them and us two) but there were a couple of right knobheads as well, they thought they were it/full of own self importance/probably thought they were better than everyone else and to be honest they didn't make very nice company which was a shame.

It wouldn't stop me staying in a big chalet hotel though another time when just on holiday, like cathy says, there's enough people to blend out any unpleasant or tedious people. I wouldn't opt for a smaller chalet though sharing with randoms as the wrong sorts can put a bit of a downer on an otherwise great trip. I think people who moan/whinge/complain all the time have got to be about the worst types to end up with, those that talk a good game but are actually pants Laughing , people that make assumptions about you based on certain things Laughing and hmmm, probably another thing is people who have naughty kids who don't behave and the parents can't/won't control them, so again I don't think I'd ever share a chalet with a family on holiday just in case, on the other hand not everyone is like that but it's a risk you take.

Think I'd probably accept a chalet if it was for say 10 people and our own group was taking up say 8 of the spaces leaving 2 left for a couple travelling independently, think that would end up being alright. Other than that it's a hotel or apartment for me these days Very Happy
ski holidays
cathy, Fair point. Toofy Grin
latest report
RobW, spot on sir. Having done the same and finally snapped after being offered a rabbit hutch for a room/apartment for the 3rd year in a row I took the plunge and went chalet. You dont' have to spend any more time with other people as you would at a hotel (breakfast and dinner), but you generally get more room and better lounge/balcony arrangement at chalets that gives you an extra option for apres/chilling (prepares to be shot down in flames). Encountered plenty of tw@ts in all forms for accommodation, but never let them spoil my holiday* and they give you a few amusing stories to tell.

*although if I find myself in the same chalet as that twunt with the guitar again he'll be wearing it for a hat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy