Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR : Skiing in Scotland with Groundskeeper Willie.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Scottish skiing is rubbish wink

The lifts are old, its cheaper to get to the alps, there will be no snow, there is only 40km of piste, it is always wet and windy, there are no steep slopes, Glencoe and Glenshee both got closed down years ago, there is no decent chalet accomdation. Plus everyone still skis on 2 metre long straight skis! Move along - there is nothing to see here...

Currently on the sidelines with a knee injury - so got a little time to write a little trip & photo report of the winter so far.

Soundtrack - Peatbog Faeries.

http://youtube.com/v/cTFX2szsA3I

The winter started in late Nov. By early December there was enough snow for a 17km long ski tour to Ben Macdui (Scotlands 2nd highest mountain)

Grigor got all the way to the summit of Ben Macdui with out taking his skis off!

Since the huge dump on xmas eve there has been ski anywhere cover on Cairngorm

Rooting into Aladians Cool-war on boxing day

A well tracked Aladians - job done Very Happy

Jacobs Ladder - probably as steep and challenging as anything I have ever skied in the alps wink

Opening it up under the moon light after exiting Jacobs Ladder into Coire Sneachda

Glencoe had its earliest opening day since 1996

You dont always see this view - but we never get bored of it.
Rannoch Moor, Ben Nevis and Buchaille Etive Mor

Some interesting Glencoe terrain...
Shame they dont groom more often here Cool

This is what they call a marked piste at Glencoe.

A quiet mid week day. Competition for fresh tracks was insane!

Ben Thorburn (www.freeskiing.co.uk) takes an interesting line into the backs at Nevis Range

It doesn't get much better than this anywhere in the world.
Spikes Gully - Aonach Mor.

Visiting Swedish photographer Fredrik Schenholm gets snap happy.
Maybe next year the Swedish invasion will move from Andermatt to Fort William ?

Photo from Fredriks blog - http://www.schenholm.se/
These guys really hit the Scottish powder jackpot big time.

Scandi telemark extremo Per Jonson drops into Easy Gully on Aonach Mor.
Watched by Jeff from the nevis range ski patrol.

Ben Thorburn opts for the back door into Easy Gully

Coire An Lochain - a huge off piste ampitheatre.

Back to Glencoe. Some morning alpen glow on the Bucahaille.

Doug Paton finds the white room

Sometimes you have to hike and put in the effort

After the hike we were rewarded with this.
Graham McGrath opens up Sron Na Cresie - Glencoe

Graham Pinkerton takes a sporting line near the flypaper.

The most snow since 1994 we reckon ?

Look at this trick guys - I can lick my own balls Razz

And finally a nice advert for whitedot skis - the new uk ski company.

Should be another 2 months of the Scottish season still to go yet Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 13-03-10 20:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fantastic pics.... its such a great place to ski especially when conditions are as good as they have been this season. I cant wait for my next trip, hopefully this year
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
great stuff, doug
sorry sorry to hear you're crocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one Doug. Hopefully you should still have some late spring/summer turns in you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic set of photos, thanks for sharing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Achhhhh, nice one Douglas. Who needs overpriced lift tickets and bump runs?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice one Doug, some great photos there, hope you're out and about again soon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
great collection of TRs....are there any Scottish guides who could take people who don't know the routes into such places?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff. I've got to try the Glencoe off-piste - I've stuck to Nevis so far. Mind you, I'll have to find where it is first.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap,
Great stuff.
Are you the white dot skier that I saw two weeks ago in Glencoe doing a couple of wee drops by the spring run?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ Nope - Not me. Ally (Paton) recently bought a pair of white dot skis, so I guess it may have been him.

The snow 'up north' should last awhile - so plenty opportunity left in this season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap, sensational pics!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yup, brilliant season even if i've only managed to get out at the weekend. 8 days touring and 4 lift served, its like getting 2 extra weeks in the alps Very Happy

I did the macdui trip just after yours, what a great way to kick things off!

http://www.prog99.com/Winter%20Sports/Ben%20Macdui%20-%20December%202009/index.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sensational pics Haggis_Trap, Been sidelined myself (could only manage xscape on Sat Sad ) Cant wait to get to glencoe again (hopefully this weekend).

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh yes, UK reprezent Cool
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, most of these lines aren't that difficult to find and I really must get round to skiing some of them! They'll be coming into great springtime condition in the next few weeks as well I would think. Easy Gully/Coire an Lochain and then Spikes/Summit are progressively skiers' right of Chancer/Coire Dubh from the summit at Nevis. Jacob's Ladder (maybe not for me Confused ) and Aladdin's are in Coire an t-Sneachda, the corrie immediately west of Coire Cas. "Competition for Fresh Tracks" is frontside at Glencoe, coming out onto the Flypaper I think. Creise is the mountain directly behind Meall a Bhuiridh at Glencoe.

Haggis_Trap, great pics. Hope recovery is going well for you and scottishskier.
snow report
cheers brian, I was a bit worried about skiing those kind of lines on my own for the very first time, so I stuck to Chancer rather than go off and do Spikes....

Sron Na Cresie at Glencoe looks my kind of line....
snow conditions
Hoping to make it up mid/late april if conditions are still good..Really would like to hit one of the Gullies on Ben Nevis Cool
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, fantastic piccies and fascinating to read about the Swedish 'invasion' - wow, this is a guy who has been up Everest!

Hope the knee is getting better, heard about the 'incident' and was relieved to hear the injuries were relatively minor but didn't want to add to the posts at the time, I'm sure you had enough of people commenting!

Get well soon and here's to some great spring (and maybe summer) sliding snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy