Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unusual..

Poster: A snowHead
but an effective way of paying off those end-of-season overdrafts...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1302&item=5174559535&rd=1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I didn't think you could transfer season passes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Completely illegal as the passes are non-transferable of course!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What else can they think of to sell on Ebay??? Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
illegal, yes, but do you think he's going to advertise that?

It makes you wonder *why* t's illegal - after all only one person can use a si pas at any onetime

then you reliase it's so tour ops don't buy one pass per bed, instead they have to buy a pass per occupant, which brings in muchmore cash

I remember checking out lift pass prices for canada last year andyou *could* buy a trasferable season pass, aimed primarily at businessesso they could treat clients - but the price was about 3 times that of a regular season pass!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, for 3 years I had a season pass for Winter Park, because it was cheaper than buying 2x 1 week passes. (they did a "Buddy pass" - if 4 people bought season passes together, it worked out cheaper)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
someone came up to me trying to sell a Mürren lift pass a couple of weeks ago, bizarrely for more than the face value Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, now that really is bizarre Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, clearly from the ebay generation Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A middle-aged Dutch woman actually.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Be careful, the PDS hands free system is provided by Team Axess. As is typical your photo is encoded onto the liftpass and flashes up on monitors along with your face as you pass through PdS lifts. The penalities are large if you are caught, I think around 1000 quid plus a year's ban from skiing in France.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Illegal? I doubt it. A civil matter, I'm sure. Mind you, it is France, so you might find the gendarmes breathing down your neck. My guess is that the worst penalty would be loss of the pass.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excuse, may be I am missing something here.

Do we not expect a forum of this kind to have nothing to do with illegal activities? What the members do in private is strictly for themselves. But in the open and in the Internet should be publicly condone something which clearly against the law?

I expect our moderator to jump in by now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we're neither condoning nor opposing - merely voicing our opinnions, which shouldn't be a problem at all. too muchof this "what if someone objects" mentality around these days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I certainly don't condone illegal activity. snowHeads have pointed out that this is illegal and that the penalties for transgression are high.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 18-03-05 10:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
richmond, I think you will find that it is illegal, something to do with fraud, you would be passing yourself off as someone else
ski holidays
> Illegal? I doubt it.

"L'absence de titre de transport ou l'usage d'un titre non conforme ou falsifié, constaté par un agent assermenté de l'exploitant est passible d'une amende forfaitaire dont le montant est fixé à cinq fois la valeur du titre, conformément à la législation en vigueur."

And that's just if you get stopped in France. You don't want to know what the Swiss will do to you.
snow report
When they introduced the electronic card system in St Anton , Ski bums used to share one Pass . One would get on the lift then drop his pass down at as the Lift leaves the station so the next Ski Bum could use it Very Happy

Needless to say, the lift company adjusted the s/w so theres a time limit on your card ie; once through the control gate it wont open another gate for 5-10 minutes ( the time your on the lift ) .
snow report
The vendor of this pass is obviously a lune - ebay are undoubtedly obliged to pass on his identity to the authorities (Inspector Knacker of the Yard, if we're to believe Private Eye magazine) if asked to do so.
snow report
D G Orf, well, selling the pass on Ebay may or maynot be illegal. There's "technically" no harm in actually selling the pass and for someone to purchase it, so long as the transaction isn't intended to result in the purchaser then running off and using it (for example the purchaser might just be a bit potty and likes collecting Morzine season lift passes).

But the wording of the seller at least implies that, at once the pass has been sold on, some dodgy dealings are expected to occur, and I'm surprised Ebay hasn't knocked this on the head already.

The seller certainly indicates that she expects the purchaser to use the pass and that she knows that in order for the purchaser to do so they would have to be involved in what's loosely termed identity fraud, so she's actually advertising purchase of the pass for id fraud purposes. Involvement in Id fraud is illegal in any country.

Although I haven't seen the lift pass operators T&Cs, they're most likely to have specific terms limiting transfer of season lift passes. The lift co will certainly impose their own penalties if they find id fraud is going on. Resorts I've been to with electronic pocket passes often randomly ask you pull it out for inspection to confirm that the face on the card matches the face of the carrier.

One can only hope that Ebay chuck this loon off soon and/or, if someone buys the pass and uses it, that they get picked up by the lift co & fined massively. Toofy Grin
snow report
The penalities are large if you are caught, I think around 1000 quid plus a year's ban from skiing in France.

Hello all, I am a new member. just checking that my username works primerily Very Happy

Just a quick question... Is it possible to receive a ban from a whole countries ski resorts?Do they have the infrastructure to follow this through?
snow report
ginger winger, not sure but they can ban you from a country, they just check your passport when you try to get in, welcome to snowheads by the way
snow conditions
ginger winger, welcome to Snowheads!

Hmmm. dunno for sure, myself. I would expect there's infrastructure in France to do it, but I don't think they do. Something makes me think your question has been raised on this forum before and that the general consensus was that even within the same local area inside a country most resorts don't particularly like sharing customer information....
ski holidays
Am I not right that in some resorts although your pass is hands-free, an image of the user is linked and pops up in the pisteurs cabin display?
snow report
Quote:

Am I not right that in some resorts although your pass is hands-free, an image of the user is linked and pops up in the pisteurs cabin display?

Have been to Soll and Sestriere where they use the electronic "handsfree" passes but I never saw any indication that such systems were in place there. Obviously can't speak for other resorts.
ski holidays
Nick L wrote:

erm... see post above where I explained how Axess system which PdS uses works.
ski holidays
I think it depends on the system. I have a Snowpass Swatch and download my pass for Serre Che on the internet. Obviuosly theres no photo, so it can't therefore be illegal for anyone else to use it. BUt it would depend on the Ts and Cs I suppose. I think SC use SKiData, which is used by quite a few Austrian resorts too.
latest report
Yes, this is the interesting thing. As you say, Ski Data's system - widely used - seems not to care tuppence if you hand your pass to someone else during the day etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How the hell could they use your photo for id when you are usually wrapped up with goggles, hat, collar up etc? hehehe Cool
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
richmond, I think you will find that it is illegal, something to do with fraud, you would be passing yourself off as someone else

Oh yeah, you're probably right.
latest report
Have you seen the quality of photographs you get on a season pass. I can not recognise myself from the photo (although I vaguely remember it being taken).

And how many folk pass through the gates per hour at some of these lifts? Can't this be as much as 2400 per hour? 1.5 seconds per photo displayed on the screen is not much time to make a decision is it?
snow conditions
OK, so the issue comes down to honesty.The ski lift companiies sells season passes relatively cheaply I presume on the basis of the average amount a season holder would actually use their pass.If lots of people started transferring/selling/sharing their pass then lift pass prices would have to go up for the ordinary punter,I suspect if you wanted to buy a half used pass you'd get away with it,but most people are too honest to do that.
snow conditions
Soooo , , , what’s being sold?
Is it access to the lift system or is it a license for a single individual to use the lift system.
The rules seem to be arbitrary and subject to the whims of the lift companies as David at Traxvax will confirm. This year he had to add additional business responsibilities to his local status just to get season passes for himself and his staff. The purchase of his local lift infrastructure by another company changed the rules for everyone in La Roz. and changed the pricing structure.

I’m not persuaded that selling on the remains of a season pass is immoral, technically illegal perhaps, but immoral?

However I don’t accede to abusing the system where more than one person uses the same pass, that’s just plain theft.
ski holidays
I think the economics will go round a circle. If the lift companies can't make the season pass stick, can't control it and suffer financially they could withdraw the season pass or go bust.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy