Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Take your bl00dy backpacks off in the cable car please

Poster: A snowHead
On going up the col des Gentianes today...

The cable car is designed for a certain number of people. WITHOUT BACKPACKS.

Please take them off. Or use chairs. It wil be much more comfortable for everyone, yourself, grudgingly included.

Ideally, use chairs, don't remove them and fall to a lingering demise.

Evolution, where is it when you need it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shan't; but glad you said please. The potential in a crowded cable car for the sack to get trodden on (damaging buckles and content) or even stolen is too great. I am intrigued, however, to see that you are a gondola design specifier, and so know the how a specification is arrived at.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name,

On the basis that you are arguing to make more space, where on earth are you going to find a chair/seat in a packed cable car Puzzled ???????
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have paid for my lift pass and will wear my backpack if I want, so there NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, in some places this seems the etiquette, in others I have been on cable cars with guides still wearing their packs. Boarders or skiers leaning their edges on my clothing pees me off way more.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

On going up the col des Gentianes today...

You were on the wrong lift.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, well hold it off the floor.

sev112, uh?? I meant use chairlifts. Doh!

rayscoops, do not be surprised, then, when you are rudely ejected just as the doors close...you've paid for a lift pass, not for an additional space for your pack.

stoatsbrother, I don't mind if it's not busy, I do if it is.

Swirly, why?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name I can see your point but complaining about bag wearing in a lift that mainly feeds uncontrolled terrain is kind of pointless. I'd be a little more worried about people skiing there without appropriate gear.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, I generally don't carry one so can be super smug. Skis are getting fatter, their owners are getting fatter, their calorific requirements are bigger (so bigger back pack with "Look who nicked the breakfast buffet" embroidered on it) and they all need extra elbow room to remove iPhone and start interacting with the office. The ONLY upside is that people smell better these days thanks to bans on smoking.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can confirm that Swiller is good at dodging avalanches (so far), but is less good at avoiding mountain restaurants. Therefore he does not carry a shovel, probe, airbag or packed lunch.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, spot on, an on the ball liftie will make sure that the selfish stick to the rules. Worse still are climbers with unprotected ice axe picks in lifts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, and unprotected crampons strapped, spikes out, to the back of their packs Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can never work out what on earth people find it ncessary to carry about with them everywhere they go. What have you all got in there anyway. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whether the pack is on my back or not make no difference to the space I'll need, so one of us will have to deal with it. IME that person is you.
snow report
under a new name, agreed. Some lifts seem always too small for the demand - Grands Montets and Midi in particular. But on the other hand the Saulire and Vanoise Express lifts last week never seemed to be even close to 20% loaded, so no need to remove backpacks. gorilla, no issue with having the backpacks with you, but just with being sufficiently selfish to keep wearing them where there's clearly insufficient space at shulder height. At least with the attitude shown by achilles and rayscoops there should be fewer pricks on the slopes served by those lifts - I'll happily wave to them as they remain at the base station having been ejected by the lifties.
snow conditions
Was it really that busy that you needed to call them 'bloody' back packs?

The mountains are a much better place when they are free of whinging pensioners.
ski holidays
Lizzard - the essentials for off-piste skiing: shovel, probe, water, extra warm layer of clothing, spare gloves, first-aid kit, emergency ski repair kit, and on occasion a rope.
latest report
To be honest I kind of agree with the sentiment, just not the way it was put across. Did you say anything at the time or just wait to get home and act butthurt on the internet?

Quote:

Swirly, why?

Depends really, you like moguls, I like untracked couloirs. So IMO there were better places to be.
snow report
GrahamN, what arfe you doing in the lifts then? Get out and walk like a real man! NehNeh
ski holidays
Lizzard, OK, fair cop. My only defence is that I'm an aging, barely fit, lazy git. But having met a few Beagles at the weekend, I think that's probably a good thing Wink .
snow conditions
if you are feeling like making under a new name's life better but don't want you pack to be trodden on etc you can hang it off the toe piece of one of your bindings
ski holidays
I'll take my rucksack off when all of the 6ft+ take the bindings off their skis and stop poking me in eth face with them Evil or Very Mad
latest report
bar shaker, I didn't. I called them bl00dy.

Retard.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
achilles, well hold it off the floor.

What bit of 'Shan't did you not understand? Puzzled
snow report
GrahamN, what do you take as an emergency ski repair kit ?

( I'm guessing my usual lump hammer, cable ties, WD40 and duck tape combo isn't going to cut it Toofy Grin )
snow report
under a new name, get a grip, life is too short ! If it bothers you man up and ask people to take off their packs instead of moaning about it on a ski forum.
latest report
I don't mind if people keep their backpacks on, but it's more problematic if they turn round in a hurry as, at my height, I'm likely to get biffed in the face. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
under a new name, get a grip, life is too short ! If it bothers you man up and ask people to take off their packs instead of moaning about it on a ski forum.

Mind you, the answer will still be 'Shan't' Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
achilles, wink
snow conditions
under a new name, Actually I agree with you, but then you and I are both short. I find a number of peeps with backpacks turn round in the Jandri Express and whack me in the face. However I do say something (usually unprintable) when they do it, and I have asked them to be careful on many occasions. The point is though, in chamonix I would think they were necessary, here most wear them as some sort of fashion statement.

Swirly, Now, you know he likes bumps! rolling eyes
ski holidays
under a new name, The only place I've see signs to remove back packs is on Chair lifts, never seen it requested for other lift types. As for Cable cars, the pack is safest on my back, I have enough difficulty keeping hold of my poles and skis , so to add a bag into the mix would probably create more chaos. When the lift is busy space is indeed a premium, but I think having a pack on or near the floor will cause other problems. No problem you having an opinion, just don't expect everyone to agree.
latest report
easiski, I think the issue is more to do with peeps turning around or moving with a back pack on (or even without a back pack) in the lift, which I find quite rude. Lifts rarely get filled to capacity because the 'groups' insist on forming a circle in the middle of the lift or near the doors rather than just filling up the lift, so a bit of lost capacity due to the odd back packs is not such a big issue really.
snow conditions
I really must make my posts louder.
latest report
Swirly, hmmm, I did say at the time, in English and French (in response to mutterings from our group in both languages) rather loudly that it would be much easier for everyone if they took their packs off. I got a number of embarrassed glances but by then it was rather too late.

I do like bumps. I also like untracked couloirs. However the chums we were skiing with ski were with (as they sort of have to, they're theirs) 7 and 9 year old girls who, while they adore couloirs, find untracked snow a little heavy. They prefer straightlining Tortin. It's quite funny to watch their parents (both ESS qualified) yelling "put in some turns" as they tuck their way down one of Europe's "renowned" bumps runs.

BOD, no it's signposted in the Grands Montets & Aiguille du Midi to do so and also to be careful with ice axes and crampons. Only polite really.

hyweljenkins, a back pack on back almost double the space you need to occupy. At your feet it takes up almost no required space. No brainer really...

bar shaker, YES, YES, hook line and sinker.

Anyway "whinging pensioner"? What are you talking about? Can you ski?
snow conditions
under a new name, a backpack comes nowhere near doubling the space one needs. In fact, I reckon that with my pack on I still take less space than a 15st fatty who#s the same height as me.
ski holidays
under a new name, get a life.
ski holidays
It definately takes up more room when people leave rucksacks on their backs and I do get a little wound up be inconsiderate people who don't seem to care about people behind or next to them...won't ruin my day though!

achilles wrote:
The potential in a crowded cable car for the sack to get trodden on (damaging buckles and content) or even stolen is too great.

I have often looked at the pack that is 2cm from my nose and thought 'I could easily lift that carabiner off this bloke and he would't have a clue'! If you think it's safer on your back than inbetween your legs you must have a lot of action going on down there 'cause I'm sure I'd notice someone fiddling between my legs (which by the way is where I put my bag)! A sorry and false argument!
ski holidays
fair points, all , but i seriously worry about what you would all be like on the m25 in rush hour, if you are worried about your personal space being constrained for 10 mins in a cable car

(sharp pointy bits excepted Smile)
snow conditions
under a new name, catch yourself on buddy...i take my backpack off for no man...i am 5'11" and weigh 80kg...what about the fat ba$tard who weighs 130kg...what are you gonna tell him.. to leave his fat fucI<ing a$$ behind...

okbye
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy