Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

365 day ski insurance?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any experience of an annual World wide unlimited ski time policy? And one that covers people over 45.
I've had a couple of 'interesting' Shocked (scared poopless) quotes.
All the usual suspects have a 31 day individual trip limit and I need a 365 day policy (getting a new life).
Any advice apreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't forget that 366th day (leap day, sometimes people take it literally).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that the one where you can ask Jef to marry you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, Just to be absolutely specific! It is full year cover you require, rather than a European season, i.e. 6 months. The only reason for my asking is that I do know several people who stay in St-Foy-Tarentaise for the season and purchase seasonal insurance from a broker. We have had many interesting, varied and emotional discussions on insurance providers over several smoothies!! If it's of any use I can try to get the brokers details for you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque,
Last season I used Fogg who provided 5 months full cover for a not unreasonable fee (can't remember how much but it was very fair). It wasn't a standard policy but rather was negotiated over the phone. This provided cover for the Alps for the period concerned. Considering I was living in a motorhome the whole time, I was quite impressed with the level of cover they could provide.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque. Insureandgo.co.uk just offered me £415.35 if I were 45yrs old and wanted 365days worldwide ski insurance so I assume that's what you mean by "scared poopless" ??? wink Their "backpacker" policy is cheaper, but doesn't cover snowsports ...

Snowcard.co.uk just offered me £479.00 for 12 months worldwide "longstay" insurance so long as I'm not older than 45yrs, but "This policy covers activities providing you are not doing any single activity for more than 31 days at a time or for more than 50% of the whole time away. This policy will cover a maximum of 31 days of skiing or snowboarding in total."

Jeez. Is this similar to what you found? Shocked You have my sincere sympathies. I shall keep my ear to the ground for you tho (am still in my 30s, but I can see myself going off on gap years every so often - I'm keen to know the insurance position might be later on in life).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stay away from UK based insurance company's. They look for any excuse not to payout and have in-exhaustable amount of clauses.

Over here in Holland you have to be insured for everthing if you want to get by. We spend fortunes on ovelrall insurance & a little on each cover ie medical,dental,travel,car, unemployment, house but when you make a claim no questions are asked. Insurance company's here are huge , they run schools, hospitals,nursing homes etc.

Ski insurance ecan also be got a lot cheaper & probably way more comprhenisive in Germany & France .

I would look further a field than the UK.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, for a number of reasons it needs to be full year ski/board, I will be covered by additional insurance while training and working, but while I’m traveling I’ll need a good policy for those periods between.
The prob I’m hitting is age (51) and injury history (while most are not skiing related and very old [25+ years] with few if any lasting effects), I’m getting a flat no even if I’m happy to take a fitness/medical test and not have cover for a re-injury to an old wound.
Two quotes so far are £1200 and £980

So If someone’s got a broker contact, I’d be delighted to discuss my options.
Up to around £500 I’d call reasonable particularly if they’d agree to an abeyance clause if or whilst I’m covered by another policy.

Thanks for your help guys.

Update: Fogg don't cover NZ or S'America and their policy is for 3 months max. (230squids) but you can have multiple consecutive policies as long as you return to the UK between them . . . oh well keep looking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, Try this site;

http://insurance-broker-directory.com/uk-travel-insurance/

Go to - "Cheaper travel insurance
Compare Rates"

If you enter details such as 'Worldwide Inc USA', duration 365 days, it brings up a few policies with varying degrees of cover, after getting initial quotes you must "Continue" to add on ski cover. See if anything fits!

The concept of obtaining cover outside the UK is interestingstanton, do you have any links to, or details of Insurance Companies offering Winter sports cover?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque,
my insuance for the season is with The British Mountaineering Council. The standard policy is limited to 90 days per trip on the anual policy, but you can pay a bit more to have this limit removed (like I did). The cover is very comprehensive, pretty much the only thing not covered is accents of Everest and the like (though for a bit more you can have that covered too!!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once had to organise insurance at very short notice as I had forgot to get anything and was in resort (albeit only for a weekend off season). Had AMEX card at the time and got 12 months insurance (incl winter sports) through them for £99. Was about 5 years ago so am sure it has now gone up in price.

No longer hold AMEX as I don't agree with the yearly (very large) membership fee, but that is another matter completely!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bernard Condon wrote:

The concept of obtaining cover outside the UK is interestingstanton, do you have any links to, or details of Insurance Companies offering Winter sports cover?

I can't see that working at all, it's dirt cheap for the insurance here or Germany. The reason is we all carry statutory insurance for everything.

My Carte de sauvetage is 30chf a year only, it only needs to get me off the mountain then my normal insurance kicks in. You'd be perfectly able to get the a Carte de sauvetage as well, but I guess they'll dump you at the side of the road or the hospital will send a big bill.

Insurance for missing your plane isn't readily available here whatever the reason short of medical emergency.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have our normal holiday insurance and then we buy Carte Neige when we arrive in France each winter. It costs about 47 euros per annum each and gives excellent cover throughout Europe,including repatriation to UK. We are both in our 60's and have never had any problem re.age. It covers all the obvious expenses - accidents on and off piste,helicopter rescue,hospital and medical,etc. They have their own web-site(in French) at http://www.ffs.fr/carteneige/index.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jamie, fingers crossed, I'll be in NZ July-Sept, Then S'America till Xmas, then Colorado till March and finishing off in Austria, so a carte Neige is a bit unnecessary.
So far 90 days is the limit but some kind snowheads have given me some leads that I’ll follow up tomorrow.

edit: I didn't realise the the CN was worldwide, I thought EU only, but the link's dead to check.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 17-03-05 18:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, does the Carte Neige not cover you for a whole year? I believe it gives worldwide cover.
snow report
ise, I wondered why you can't see it working? I am getting pretty fed up with insurance companies here generally. The time spent trolling through policy definitions each year is an absolute pain!

I have been with the same company for many years until last year when I found out that quite a few clauses had been modified and consequently restricted cover. You have guessed - no reduction in premium. I switched to the policy offered by the Ski Club of Great Britain this season, purely on all the recommendations from the piste (Or more exactly the apres-piste). I rushed that and subsequently found out about a week after the statutory cooling-off period, that their cover had also been modified and reduced. My own fault!

Like the difference between Package trips and independent travel, I am seriously looking at perhaps having two policies. Something like Carte Neige for the mountain and a decent standard travel policy for the rest after being 'Dumped at the side of the road'! Does anyone have any experience of the practicalities of this route???Is your Carte de Sauvetage specific to Switzerland?

stuarth, What definitions apply to the off-piste skiing section of your British Mountaineering Council policy. Are you covered for skiing alone off-piste? I will ask Jeeves, to locate them, but if you have their contact details, please post them here.

Jamie, You have taken the insurance route that I am now considering. Have you had any difficulties at all over time with this method of insuring? It seems pretty good to me!
(I was unable to access Carte Neige site on your link - would you check it please?)

PS Hold that last request! I found it here;
http://www.ffs.fr/carteneige/index.asp
ski holidays
Just downloaded the application PDF . . . now to sit and translate the dam thing.

Umm first read through (my french is abysmal to the point of offensive) leads me to think that although the CN is 365/24/7, any single trip is limited to 31 days.
ski holidays
Bernard Condon wrote:
ise, I wondered why you can't see it working? I am getting pretty fed up with insurance companies here generally. The time spent trolling through policy definitions each year is an absolute pain!

A European wide market for insurance might well work, I doubt that as well actually.

However, the point I'm making is that the products available here are geared to people who live here. We have to have statutory health cover, for me at least my employer pays. I only need the modest bridge from that to the rescue cover. My Carte de Sauvetage covers me outside Switzerland, whether non residents could buy I don't actually know for sure. Probably not.

Your suggestion of using, say, the Carte/Carre Neige, looks good. But I'll bet the insurers have got you tied in in clauses in the general policy that it doesn't include ski type accidents. Those clauses don't exist here. As part of a corporate deal we have even restrictions about pre-existing conditions are waived in fact.

But the market's different. We're Swiss, you miss the plane, you've missed the plane, whining it's not your fault and expecting someone else to take responsibility isn't done. As a result of not covering those sort of claims our premiums are bound to be lower.
snow report
ise, Yes I understand your point regarding, ".......clauses in the general policy that it doesn't include ski type accidents." To make this work Carre/Carte Neige would need to be used in conjunction with a policy which covered skiing in the first place, and by association, the rules regarding off-piste skiing would no doubt apply as well.

I realise that I am taking this off topic, so will bring this particular issue up elsewhere when I have a little more research done.
ski holidays
Bernard,I have definitely not had any problems with Carte Neige since we started using it about 4 years ago. I have just checked the small print on my plastic membership card, and it is definitely for ONE YEAR, not 31 days.
Helen,you are right, the cover is WORLDWIDE. I have just checked the small print.I remember when we first took out the policy, we applied for an English translation of the policy which was very helpful.
ski holidays
Jamie, yes it's 365/24/7 cover and Worldwide but I need an authorised translation and will contact them tomorrow, but . . .

From the CN application/claim form:

EXCLUSIONS GÉNÉRALES
Les accidents qui sont le fait volontaire du bénéficiaire du contrat et ceux qui résultent
de tentatives de suicide ou de mutilation volontaire, le suicide conscient ou
inconscient, les blessures provenant de paris, courses et matchs comportant l’utilisation
de véhicule à moteur, les accidents occasionnés par guerre civile ou étrangère,
insurrection, émeute, complot, mouvement populaire, la participation de l’assuré
à des rixes sauf cas de légitime défense.
Outre les exclusions précitées, ne sont pas couvertes les disciplines suivantes: sport
motorisé, sport aérien (sauf parapente si pratiqué dans le cadre d’une association ou
d’un groupement affilié à la FFS et encadré par un moniteur qualifié parapente), le
delta-plane, le polo, le skeleton, le bobsleigh, le hockey sur glace, la plongée sousmarine,
la spéléologie, le saut à l’élastique.
Les sports pratiqués en tant que professionnel.

et:

EXCLUSIONS PROPRES À L’ASSISTANCE
Sous réserve des autres exclusions citées au contrat, ne sont pas garanties les disciplines suivantes :
• sport motorisé, sport aérien (sauf parapente pratiqué dans le cadre d’une association ou d’un groupement
affilié à la FFS et encadré par des moniteurs qualifiés parapente), le delta-plane, le polo, le skeleton,
le bobsleigh, le hockey sur glace, la plongée sous-marine, la spéléologie, le saut à l’élastique, les
sports pratiqués à titre professionnel;
• le remboursement des frais de restaurant, d’hôtel, de garage, de péage et d’essence;
• le remboursement des locations d’appartement et de skis;
• les services d’assistance relatifs aux affections ou lésions traumatiques bénignes qui peuvent être traitées
sur place et qui n’empêchent pas le patient de continuer son séjour;
• la prise en charge directe des frais médicaux.
• le rapatriement des non-résidents en France métropolitaine, séjournant en station plus de 31 jours, est
exclu.

That last line ?
ski holidays
that last line is clause excluding the repatriatiion of non-residents who are stayingina resort for more than 31 days, I think
ski holidays
The Corsicans seem to be in the same boat!

Masque, Will you post the contact details here tomorrow - I want to check it out to use for the season December 2005 - April 2006 and would be interested to know if one can 'buy' an extension to the 31 days Or else we will have to limit ourselves to one accident per annum!
ski holidays
Have you looked at the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) insurance, http://www.thebmc.co.uk ?

I think their annual policies put a normal trip length limit, but I think it's more like 3 months, and I'm pretty sure you can pay a bit more to override that limit
snow report
Bernard Condon,
Yep, covered for off-piste on my own. Pretty important here in Whistler where going "off-piste" is far less unusual, and I have a pretty good idea where I'm at so spend lots of time there . Pretty much covers everything you could think of - one exception is jumping from helicopters (though heli-skiing is covered) Shocked snowHead

The website is http://www.thebmc.co.uk/
latest report
ise,

Switzerland is outside the EU & does has different rules for nationals & foreigners.
I doubt any European Citizen is exempt from obtaining,shopping for insurance from any EU member state.

Here in Holland we also have compulsory medical & public liability insurance. We only have to top up on rescue & repatriation. Quite ofter when you drive on the Autobahn in Austria & Germany you see Dutch Ambulances that have come to collect patients.

In St Anton they sell a Rescue card, many brits buy this when it not necessary as your "tourist,package holiday" policy would cover rescue of the mountain.
There rescue card is primarily aimed for Germans,Austrians who need that top-up(rescue) on there statutory insurance.
ski holidays
Masque, I reckon it's your injury history that has them scared poopless, given your past record they probably figure that they will be paying out at least once and maybe more in the year, insurance is basically betting after all and you always get worse odds for the favorite Shocked
snow report
D G Orf, Actually my claims history is probably much better than most SlushNuts. Unless I’m rendered incapable, and that’s only happened once while skiing, I tend to self-diagnose and medicate. That has backfired on a couple of occasions, but only through secondary infections after the fact and after I’ve returned home. Plus most of my injuries were sustained in my early youth while climbing and competing in gymnastics/trampolining. If I say so myself (apart from a general upper body weakness that’s being addressed and improving) I’m in better condition than most my age or for that matter 15 years my junior, even with only one lung. The prob’s been finding a policy for single trips longer than 31 days. I’ve got some links now and will be following up over the next couple of days. Thanks guys, I'll post info as I get it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, if you haven't already then try asking at http://www.natives.co.uk/
snow report
stuarth, Thanks very much for that link. Your British Mountaineering Council policy looks pretty good. I have downloaded the Pdf file of the policy and will study same at my leisure!

Masque, It may be worthwhile checking this policy out on Stuarth's link above. Policy appears to come with 93 days standard but an extension can be purchased. My quote with extended cover and increased baggage value was £392.00
ski holidays
Wow. The bmc cover looks very attractive. Not many (if any) weasle words. I shall look a that next year. Good luck with your project, masque.
snow conditions
OK the info’s coming thick and fast:

The BMC is very good at getting your carcass off the mountain into medical care and home. but their cover for equipment and other normal skiing variable is very limited and I’d need to cover all that separately (max total equipment and personal effects cover is 350£)
But the premium’s 329.00 + 27.50 membership. And not worried about any injury older than 12 months . . . woohooo Little Angel (checking extended houshold cover now for my kit and kaboodle)

The Carte N might be better value but not with that 31 day non-French resident repatriation limit which to my mind makes it useless for seasonaires . . . anyone tested it?

SkiInsurance .co.uk will cover with a much better general policy for 599.00£ (90 odd £ TAX Evil or Very Mad )

Dogtag: quotes 1139.00£ and I’m waiting for a call to confirm cover limits as it’s a bit unclear in the fine print.
ski holidays
I've used the BMC in the past a few seasons ago when I was doing 4wks skiing per year including lots of off-piste without guides, ski touring, mountaineering, the lot. I wouldn't worry too much about the equipment cover, most policies have so many exclusions on this that they're a waste of time - we had a thread about it a while ago - like no cover if your skis are stolen from outside mountain restaurants etc!
ski holidays
i would imagine any insurance company would take a dim view of the insuree leaving the items they have insured, unattended and unlocked for an hour.. regardless of what it was..would you leave your nice new shiny mountain bike in the high st while you popped in to a cafe for lunch without locking it?
snow conditions
Masque, you're probably better clued about it than me, but I would be very wary of taking insurance from a non-British insurer - language difficulties, requisite knowlege of the appropriate reciprocal international medi-care arrangements between Britian and the rest of the world, whether the insurer even appreciates the fact that their customer is British...and then I realised I'd just assumed you're British.... maybe not?

Anyway, the same would apply to any national of any country - when it comes to travel/ski insurance wouldn't it be somewhat risky to rely on a foreign insurer to able to be in a suitable position to provide adequate service? (ok, so multinational companies and professional sports people take insurance from whereever/whomever can offer best price/service, but we're not talking about them, we're talking about a somewhat normal individual wink and bog standard (if somewhat extended) personal travel and activity insurance.)
latest report
Masque, BMC policy - I upgraded to £3,000 worth of equipment in obtaining my quote of £392.00. I have downloaded the policy now and will study the finer print!
latest report
Bernard Condon, Been throught the same process and got the same price and I'm reading the policy PDF. So far it seems to be the best and (almost only) real option for me. A big thank you to all.
I'm a bit concerned that some seasonaires may not have the cover they think they have, but then many will be covered by their employers insurance but this whole area's a minefield for the longer term traveller.

I’ve just emailed my full itinerary to BMC with an equipment list and med history and I’ll se what their written quote will be. Laughing
snow report
stanton wrote:
ise,

Switzerland is outside the EU & does has different rules for nationals & foreigners.
I doubt any European Citizen is exempt from obtaining,shopping for insurance from any EU member state.

Here in Holland we also have compulsory medical & public liability insurance. We only have to top up on rescue & repatriation. Quite ofter when you drive on the Autobahn in Austria & Germany you see Dutch Ambulances that have come to collect patients.

In St Anton they sell a Rescue card, many brits buy this when it not necessary as your "tourist,package holiday" policy would cover rescue of the mountain.
There rescue card is primarily aimed for Germans,Austrians who need that top-up(rescue) on there statutory insurance.

I lived in Germany for five years so I've a passing familarity with how it works in the Fatherland. And then you go on to make exactly the point I was making, we only need top ups for insurance because of the statutory insurances we have. The Brit's don't have these which is the point I was making.

No insurer is obliged to provide you with cover just because you're a EU national, that's nonsense. They're just doing business and the products will be geared at the market they're operating in.
snow report
Masque, Please post when you have gotten a reply.

PS - You should remind the insurers, that with one lung you should really qualify for a discount!
latest report
Bernard Condon, The quote stands up with my itinerary and med history. I've a couple pieces of kit that'll have to be covered by a sep. professional use insurance, but I'm happy and will be going with them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy