Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To the Skiboard Haters

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

oh and for the record calling all skiboards blades is like saying all hair products are l'oreal

No it's not, it's like calling all vacuum cleaners hoovers, and oh, wait, we do that...

Like it or not, everyone apart from 'skiboarders' will call them blades, it's the commonly accepted name for them.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, I think the pro-skiboarders have not really said they are at an advantage in anything except for having a bit of fun, but it is interesting to read on here people who who take (for example) three sets of skis away with them for their week in the alps. I have heared it said on many occassions that you can ski powder in any ski, so might I suggest those who have different skis for different conditions do so because they are not good enough or too lazy to master the conditions with a single set of skis ? Is that not a bit like how skiers perceive skiboarders, not good enough or too lazy to learn to use proper skis ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, because different skis offer an advantage in different places. It is completely possible to ski everything on one pair of skis, and if I were going for a week I would only take one (although you can fit two pairs in most ski bags). Different skis do offer advantages though - it is easier to ski harder lines offpiste, on steep and deep slopes, on bigger skis. It is possible on skinny skis, but harder and not as fun, you don't get quite the same 'surfy' feel. If you're in the mountains for a longer period of time then you will almost certainly ski in a wide variety of conditions - why wouldn't you give yourself every advantage? I wouldn't have thought it would much different on a snowboard?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, it's not about specific advantage. It's about *flavor*. I like the *flavor* of boot-top pow on 75mm skis.

Chinese food and Italian food and Mexican food all offer complete nutritional profiles. I like to eat meat. Of those, Italian cuisine offers the most range of choices in eating meat. Does that mean that I should straightjacket myself into eating at only Italian restaurants? Heck no.

"Fat skis for powder and skinny skis for piste" is just as brain-dead as "Italian for meat and Chinese for veg".
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, yes it is you can not call two companies the same if the products they offer differ! just like you can not call a wax and a moulding paste the same thing , a wax will have a shiney,soft, almost greasy appearnace to it with a medium hold (holds may vary just like shine) whereas a moulding paste is matte, its a thick almost solid consistency , it will have no shine , it will not go greasy and so on

you can not say things that do a similar job (styling and holding hair ) but are not the same can be called the same , i also just educated you about two of the most popular styling products men use Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
harriet wrote:
oh and for the record calling all skiboards blades is like saying all hair products are l'oreal Laughing

Or calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers. Not accurate, but many, many people do it, and nobody gets confused when it does happen. Blades, skiboards; potato, potato Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, actually no, (with the exception of the park, which I do not do) I would ride the same board everywhere. You can get bigger boards that will work better in powder or get boards with 'magna' edges for better carving, and now the reverse camber technology etc., (edit - different flavours wink ) but good technique would suffice in all conditions imho if you are on the correct board for you feet size/weight/height etc. I am surprised that it is not the same for skiing and that it is preferable to have different skis for different conditions; it sounds like the emphasis on 'one trick pony' carving skis is detracting from good technique in other conditions for the average punter Little Angel is it really a necessity to have a quiver of skis really, or is it just a lazy convenience or fashion statement wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-02-10 17:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
inline skates rollerblades, eggplant aubergine, zucchini courgette?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, why ride the same board everywhere? Why go to the same Chinese restaurant day and night after night?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
harriet, it is entirely legitimate to call all vacuum cleaners hoovers (but not Hoovers). The point being that the word 'snowblade' indicates to us a short and vaguely ski-like thing ridden by a maniac regardless of which company manufactures it. And as far as I'm concerned shampoo is shampoo - I don't care who makes that either.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex wrote:
rayscoops, why ride the same board everywhere? Why go to the same Chinese restaurant day and night after night?

i dont , for the majority of the week i have just come back from my ski's were 1 cm's taller than me Laughing then for 2 days i had 64cm big foot's i like them both but i like the fact planks so small are easy to carry around just put them under your arm instead of me hugging the skis like arghhhh my arms hurt so much!

i guess i go for extremes super big or super small no inbetween snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, because I can and have taken the time to learn how to do so - a bit like walking in to a food hall or a buffet where they have Italian, Chinese and French food and you can take your pick of a bit of everything, rather than being stuck in one ropey restaurant and then notice some nice tucker elsewhere but you have already made your order and it is too late to change wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
harriet wrote:
but i like the fact planks so small are easy to carry around just put them under your arm instead of me hugging the skis like arghhhh my arms hurt so much!

Ooooh Christ, please puut them on your shoulder with the fronts pointing down and the tails pointing up in the air where they can't hit anyone else in the face.

Quote:
it's not about specific advantage. It's about *flavor*. I like the *flavor* of boot-top pow on 75mm skis. "Fat skis for powder and skinny skis for piste" is just as brain-dead as "Italian for meat and Chinese for veg".

That's not what I said though is it? But if you're in waist deep pow (and yes, we do get that oin Europe too), fat skis make it noticeably easier, faster and more fun, but if you want to ski skinny skis that's fine.

Quote:
I am surprised that it is not the same for skiing and that it is preferable to have different skis for different conditions; it sounds like the emphasis on 'one trick pony' carving skis is detracting from good technique in other conditions for the average punter is it really a necessity to have a quiver of skis really, or is it just a lazy convenience or fashion statement

Having the right skis enhances good technique though, rather than replacing it. For instance, if you take the world's best skier offpiste on fat skis, he/she would outperform him/herself in the same place on skinny skis.

A VERY VERY simplistic example could be race car for the track, 4X4 for offroad. It's nowhere near as clearcut with skis, but it is kindof similar.

A quiver isn't neccessary, for your one week a year skier it's pretty pointless, however for the rest of us it means we can pick the right tool for the job, given the conditions on the day. Plus then you might want some with different bindings, for touring... And you can never have too many shiny new toys Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops,
Quote:
because I can and have taken the time to learn how to do so
- so you're a pretty good Chinese chef and that's what you self-cater when on holiday.

Excellent, wonderful, you're already a step above the folks who slikedges insists can't boil pasta without burning it and therefore shouldn't go near a wok. You're also beyond the latest version of 316's message "these people eating nothing but wontons are having fun eating".

I still think, being a cosmopolitan pretty good Chinese chef and all, you're going to be tempted to bake a cake while on holiday in the Alps.

wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
harriet wrote:
but i like the fact planks so small are easy to carry around just put them under your arm instead of me hugging the skis like arghhhh my arms hurt so much!

Ooooh Christ, please puut them on your shoulder with the fronts pointing down and the tails pointing up in the air where they can't hit anyone else in the face.

yep that hurts too , its the only part i dislike about skiing! half the time my boyfriend carries both pairs of skis and i carry the poles ..... hes so sweet Blush
snow report
Put them so the topsheet is flat on your shoulder, binding just behind your shoulder, arm resting on the front to balance them.
latest report
clarky999, so when you say skiboards are crap at all things (except for messing around with the kids maybe), then evidently skinnies/fats are crap at certain things too, so a similar if not watered down argument likewise exists wink

comprex, I look upon my board as a Starship Enterprise replicator - it gives me all the culinary delights I need because I know how to programme it properly wink
snow report
rayscoops, he is just saying that as he cant actually use them, its his technique not the boards Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

clarky999, so when you say skiboards are crap at all things (except for messing around with the kids maybe), then evidently skinnies/fats are crap at certain things too, so a similar if not watered down argument likewise exists

Crap's a stronger word than I would use, but in essence, yeah! Apart from they both have things they're actually good at too!
ski holidays
rayscoops, Voyager had a cook.

And neither the replicator nor the cook ever had anybody wontonning, so wontonning must be different from eating.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Apart from they both have things they're actually good at too!

Absolutely.

The odd thing is, no matter how much "skiboarders" insist that "skiboarding" is different from skiing, I have yet to see *one* skating-specific move (frex) described.

Where is the intentional scissoring? Where are the mohawks? Spin stops? Where are the lunge turns (that make really good ILE training)? Where is the falling stride (that makes really good OLE training)? Where is the one-footed gliding, inside and outside edge?

I must therefore conclude that "skiboarders" are actually worse at skating than they are at skiing.
latest report
graeme wrote:
rayscoops, he is just saying that as he cant actually use them, its his technique not the boards Laughing

And how have you worked that one out? Not that I am particularly good, but you've had soooooo many opportunities to describe or show how and when blades are better than skis, yet you never take them up, just resort to getting personal. What a good way to win a debate rolling eyes

I can use blades, I have used blades - I've even had fun on blades, they seem to release my inner idiot and make me want to do something stupid, like 360 off the most inopportune ledge. But if I want to ski something 'proper,' where pissing around isn't the best idea, or conditions are too goo too waste time, there is no way in hell I'd be on blades.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

kayaking, tennis ... mostly summer sports.

Ha come to the UK if you think kayaking is a summer sport - last weekend I was out in minus 7 on the North Esk, cracking run with a couple of funky drops.

That's nuts and too much for me. I want at least 65 degree F outdoor temps .... no drysuit for me ... just a
5/7 mill wetsuit.

I have two more months before I'm even going to be thinking about getting out on a river.

I have a friend that's hardcore like you and goes out all winter and spring. I think he's mental.
latest report
rambotion wrote:
skiboard316, haven't you just proved with your last post that, as people have stated before, skiboards (really they're just blades and you know it) are just for people who can't ski properly. I promise you if you'd got past the point where the poles felt like they were in your way, but rather allowed you to keep a nice steady rhythm you'd never have felt the need to ride childs skis and then this whole thread need never have started.

No ... not at all. As I've already mentioned, I've ridden with guys who are expert skiers and both ski and skiboard. They like both ... or have made the transition from skiing to skiboarding because they enjoy skiboarding more. It's not that they can't ski - they can ski very, very well. They just have more fun on skiboards.

For me ... I just enjoy skiboarding more than skiing also. I never felt a "need to ride child's skis". I'll admit, "I" never got really good at skiing. The reason for that is I never spent enough time doing it because I did not enjoy it. However, I could comfortably get down blues and most blacks without any problem. Skiboarding is more fun for me so now I'm hooked. Too much real estate with long skis and too much equipment. I'm a minimalist like many other skiboarders. When I backpack, I go light with as little gear as possible. I like simple, uncomplicated equipment. I don't use GPS, prefer topo map and compass. I don't take cookware. I prefer single speed cycles to gazillion speed machines that just have more moving parts that can fail.

Skiboards fit in with this minimalist mentality and give me much more freedom. I don't have to ride them "just right" to have fun or naviagte variable terrain. It's just liberating and a much funner ride.

Many people are the same way with snowboarding. They tried skiing, didn't like it, went to snowboarding, love it, and will never snap into skis again. Not all snowboarders are incapable of riding skis well.

You speak in a generality that has no basis in reality.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 24-02-10 21:02; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Eddd wrote:

-I could only get down blacks/steep ice by going sideways
-I couldn't turn/control my speed/stop very reliably at high speed
-They're very unstable in the air
-They are pants in powder. Whatever anyone says to the contrary, they are only easy in steep powder because they're so inherently rubbish and slow that they control your speed for you. Then, as soon as the powder gets less steep, you sink.

Conclusion: Skiboards are very good fun for people who aren't very good at skiing. Once you get decent, they're very limiting.

(I accept that this may not apply in the park. Not being a park chap myself I can't really comment)

1. I don't skid sideways down steeps or icy hardpack at all anymore. I can make clean carves on 101 cm KTPs and 110 cm Condors.

2. My average speeds are probably around the 20-25 mph range and that suits me just fine so your second point doesn't really create a problem for me. 30 mph or so is probably about all I'll ever be interested in.

3. They are not pants in powder if you have the right skiboards. My Condors handle powder very well. They are 110 cm long, 13.7 cm wide at the waist, 16.5 cm wide at the tips and tails and are very flexible. They float very well and I'm a relatively heavier rider at 185 -190 lbs. I have been on narrower boards in pow and at my weight ... you are right ... lots of sinkage.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
graeme wrote:
rob@rar, surely its a good thing to promote all snow sliding sports. it certainly was when i went through BASI, is it still the same?

Indeed it is. As I have said many times, I really don't have a problem with skiboards. My only concern is with people who slide around the mountain with too little control. That concern applies equally to skiers (on planks of any length, fixed heel or not), boarders and anything else that could be invented. In my experience a far higher proportion of people who use blades/skiboards have too little control when compared to people who ski or snowboard. That doesn't mean that everyone who rides a skiboard is out of control, so please don't take that as personal criticism.

My bet is that most of the reason for the higher percentage of ding dongs on skiboards that you see is because of riders getting on cheap Salomon snowblades or other inferior equipment and/or thinking they can ride them like skis. Having a much shorter effective edge necessitates a different approach so as not to be spinning out, sliding out, etc, etc.
snow report
skiboard316, well if you do indeed manage to ride the things without hurtling around the mountain like an out of control ICBM then it's nice to see you're having fun. My personal objection to blades is the irresponsible maniac factor - can't be bothered with anal discussions about perfect technique or infantile attitudes regarding 'coolness', frankly.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
rob@rar,
Now, where can I get a wide midget board ? maybe Thomas from Austria can knock me up a RAK version of it Very Happy
Very Happy

This is the fattest shortboard out there that I am aware of. No super-quick edge to edge carving on these things.

They are my faves and very capable of all-mountain riding:

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rvl8condor10&Category_Code=skiboards&Product_Count=1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiboard316 wrote:
My bet is that most of the reason for the higher percentage of ding dongs on skiboards that you see is because of riders getting on cheap Salomon snowblades or other inferior equipment and/or thinking they can ride them like skis.

It's nothing to do with kit, in my opinion. They just haven't got a clue what they're doing, probably because when they first started they didn't bother learning any kind of technique and just strapped these things to their feet and headed up the nearest lift with their mates. If they used the same technique that they use on blades/skiboards on a pair of full length skis they'd be just as out of control although probably travelling a bit faster.
snow conditions
Quote:

they first started they didn't bother learning any kind of technique and just strapped these things to their feet and headed up the nearest lift with their mates.

Lots of them still doing just that. I'd refuse to sell them lift tickets, but I suspect I'd get into trouble.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
harriet wrote:
oh and for the record calling all skiboards blades is like saying all hair products are l'oreal Laughing

Or calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers. Not accurate, but many, many people do it, and nobody gets confused when it does happen. Blades, skiboards; potato, potato Wink

Just as long as you don't call a Land Rover a Jeep. Laughing
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Apart from they both have things they're actually good at too!

Absolutely.

The odd thing is, no matter how much "skiboarders" insist that "skiboarding" is different from skiing, I have yet to see *one* skating-specific move (frex) described.

Where is the intentional scissoring? Where are the mohawks? Spin stops? Where are the lunge turns (that make really good ILE training)? Where is the falling stride (that makes really good OLE training)? Where is the one-footed gliding, inside and outside edge?

I must therefore conclude that "skiboarders" are actually worse at skating than they are at skiing.

I almost hate to post these because one of you is sure to say "That's just horrible skating technique ... those guys are morons who can't use real skates. " rolling eyes Who cares? What fun to be had.

But here goes .... just some of the fun that can be had on very short skiboards:

http://youtube.com/v/pvQKB_HHcxU

http://youtube.com/v/kfOg2qEaYoU

http://youtube.com/v/-YzW3Qce02Y

http://youtube.com/v/H39a6ImLlk4

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-02-10 21:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
skiboard316, some degree of competence going on there, indeed. But those titchy things are blatantly what you'd call snow skates and nothing like the longer skiboards/blades that you see being misused all over the place. Clearly great for low speed tricks though, if that's your thing.
snow report
I absolutley love the fact that the commentator in the 1st video referred, several times, to snowblades and snowblading. And it still looks lame compared to skiing or snowboarding. And as Lizzard pointed out they're not even doing what you claim to do. The shortest you've quoted a skiboard as being is 75cm, might have been 70cm, but these guys are on 47cm skates.
latest report
skiboard316 wrote:
I almost hate to post these because one of you is sure to say "That's just horrible skating technique ... those guys are mornons who can't use real skates. "

This

not skating technique at all.

This is semi-decent cone-skater technique:

http://youtube.com/v/kfOg2qEaYoU

Of, course, he's on something half the size and half the width of anything we've called a "skiboard" in this thread up until now. (It also shows only one of the moves I asked for).

Quote:

But here goes .... just some of the fun that can be had on very short skiboards:

So... you admit that a Gauer Blade ski-dance ski from 1995 is actually a skiboard and that there is no categorical difference between skis and skiboards? Thank you.

(And you are absolutely right. That
is CRAP skating technique because those are ski-dance skis with reverse sidecut (fatter in the middle) and bases with a bump in the middle. That do not have proper edges except for about 4" of screwed-in metal. And those are all ballet ski moves from the 1970s.

Here is a picture of one of my pairs:

Here is a contour drawing:

)
[/quote]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 24-02-10 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
skiboard316, some degree of competence going on there, indeed. But those titchy things are blatantly what you'd call snow skates and nothing like the longer skiboards/blades that you see being misused all over the place. Clearly great for low speed tricks though, if that's your thing.

Sort of. I've seen guys pull similar ground tricks on 75 cm to 99 cm boards. I've also seen clips of guys on the inline ski doing deep, higher speed hand dragging carves like what you see many doing on longer skiboards.

And according to the logic used by other posters in this thread, skiboards are to inline skis what short skis are to skiboards.
snow report
skiboard316, I am trying to get you to understand that every one of these categories and rankings and this-to-that-to-the-other is a false sectioning of *one* continuum.
latest report
rambotion wrote:
I absolutley love the fact that the commentator in the 1st video referred, several times, to snowblades and snowblading. And it still looks lame compared to skiing or snowboarding. And as Lizzard pointed out they're not even doing what you claim to do. The shortest you've quoted a skiboard as being is 75cm, might have been 70cm, but these guys are on 47cm skates.

You look at it and see "lame". I look at it and see the potential for tons of fun. To each his own.

The first vid clip I linked looks to be 60-75 cm. If you can do what he's doing on 170 cm shape skis, good for you ... but I doubt it.
snow conditions
skiboard316 wrote:

You look at it and see "lame". I look at it and see the potential for tons of fun. To each his own.

The first vid clip I linked looks to be 60-75 cm.

They are 90 cm.

They are also reverse cambered, reverse sidecut, and manufactured with deliberately un-flat bases.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 24-02-10 22:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skiboard316, you seem keen to challenge other people in this thread to post video of their skiing, suggesting if they're not very good themselves they're not really worthy of having an opinion. Wouldyou care to lead by example and post some video of you skiing or skiboarding? It's not important to me to see you ski, but it might give you a bit more credibility when you challenge other people's abilities.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy