Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To the Skiboard Haters

Poster: A snowHead
It is not what you think. They are great fun and there are plenty of high quality, safe options that allow you to ski any conditions: deep pow, moguls, trees, chop, double-black, back-country, etc.

Take a look and see for yourself. Despite what many believe, skiboards can be ridden well with great control in a variety of terrain.

http://youtube.com/v/XEY8LQ0ByBA

http://youtube.com/user/leptisuisse#p/a/u/1/7OZEFhmYltA

http://youtube.com/v/89h9u5Lc2IA

http://youtube.com/v/70zYYhKM9fc

http://youtube.com/v/C5HrUfghq7c

http://youtube.com/v/VmgTsH24xHM

http://youtube.com/v/hVF2H_jPn38

http://youtube.com/v/GiygF30f_3E&feature=related
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
-sigh-
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiboard316 wrote:
Despite what many believe, skiboards can be ridden well with great control in a variety of terrain.

It's such a shame that so few are.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiboard316, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I only looked at the first video - and I really know very little when it comes to technique - but even to my very untrained eye the technique looks shocking. He's swinging his shoulders round to try and turn his feet? Is this really a fine example of a skiboarder in action? Confused Perhaps the other clips were better....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, Laughing Well spotted! I didn't bother to look at the video, and you're quite right. That first one is just embarrassingly poor if it's being presented as "great control" rolling eyes Confirms everything that I see with bladers/skiboarders.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Watch the videos. In the first clip, he is riding in very deep powder on very short boards. He's doing what fits his style for the equipment he is on and in the conditions he is in. Let's see you do better on 110 cm sticks in soft, deep powder.

Watch the rest of the clips and you'll see other riders with different styles in different types of terrain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
.... including some huge air, tree riding, on-piste riding, steeps, moguls, etc ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've looked through the other videos now. Two are OK skiing, the rest are pants. I'm afraid that's just not good examples of skiboards being ridden well with great control.

skiboard316, apologies if this seems like a less than friendly welcome. It's not meant to be, but there's a bit of a discussion going on tonight on the forum about blades/skiboards so you've sort of fallen in to the middle of it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rob@rar: You say "Two are OK skiing". They are not skiing ... they are skiboarding. It's a totally different ride, much shorter turning radius, center mount, different feel, no poles.

I encourage you to watch all the clips all the way through. I am not posting these up as examples of perfect technique. They are examples of different riders of different skill levels in different terrain ... some riding similar to how you would skis and in one clip in particluar ... riding much differently ... getting into deep, laid over, dragging your hands in the snow aggressive carves.

In many ways, much of the riding can be more similar to inline skating than skiing. That does not make it out of control, bad or wrong. It's just different. If you want to compare skiboarders to perfect skiing technique, of course you'll find flaw in it. It's not skiing. Though some riders often do ride their skiboards like they would skis. Those are most often the people who spent a long time as skilled skiers before making the transition to skiboarding. I can tell you for a fact that at least two of the riders in those clips were expert skiers before making the switch to skiboards. I'm sure either of them could get right back on a pair of skis if they chose and ride any kind of terrain you wanted to throw at them with great skiing form. However, they have more fun on skiboards and neither no longer rides long sticks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skiboard316, I have watched them all the way through and I don't see different ways of sliding down the slopes, I mostly see bad habits. If one of the characteristics of skiboards is that because of their short length most turns are quickly pivoted there really should be a speed limit on these things, because a quickly pivoted turn is inherently unstable at speed. That's what I see just about all of the time: bladers/skiboarders travelling too quickly for the style of turn they are making. And that's what I see a lot of in those videos: pivoted transitions, poor edge hold, upper body swinging. I'm sure there are many people who can make a better job of showcasing aspirational riding on skiboards, but I think you've mostly chosen the wrong videos.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiboard316, for a better video have a look at the first link in this post. Skiboards being ridden with skill.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiboard316, welcome to the board
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You might be seeing bad habits for skiing ... whatever ... it works great for skiboarding. You can quickly pivot a turn on skiboards because they are so short and the turning radius can be very tight due to the tight sidecut radius. It is not unstable at all ... I do it all the time and I do not have a problem with edge hold. I don't end up sliding into people, I don't lose directional control, I do just fine on hardpack, ice, chop, powder, trees, moguls ... I rarely fall and have never been injured skiboarding.

You can think whatever you want to think from watching and being an armchair judge. I actually do it and thus, I know better than you what the ride is like. Dig the edges in harder and deeper when you want and you can carve cleanly. Soft edge a bit and you can skid a little to scrub speed if you want. You don't carry as much speed on skiboards as you do on long planks anyway. Until you've tried it and done it, don't bag on it.

The 6th clip is a great example of deep carving ... great edge hold at speed. The third clip is smooth transitional carving ... completely in control, well balanced, etc. The second clip is again ... a deeper carve and a different kind of ride.

And who cares if a rider has their upper body swinging a bit? This is not a poser style contest and again ... IT'S NOT SKIING !!!!

There are no poles, no pole plants and the ride can be like inline skating. Once you stop comparing it to skiing, you'll have less of a problem with what you perceive as a lack of control, poor posture and form, etc.

Better yet ... get out for a day on a good set of boards with someone who has been riding them for a while. Until then, you are unqualified to pass judgement.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes ... I've seen this one. There are dozens and dozens of others. But even with all the videos available ... there is nothing like actually going out and riding on them. As well ... not everyone rides the same way or at the same level. The point is that regardless of skill level, skiboards work and just as with anything else ... with the right amount of skill ... can be ridden well in just about any type of terrain.

rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316, for a better video have a look at the first link in this post. Skiboards being ridden with skill.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks.

graeme wrote:
skiboard316, welcome to the board
snow report
skiboard316, i have been saying this for a couple years on here. people just dont wanna listen, unless its a long plank they become blinkered. its either got to be end form perfect ski technique or its nothing. glad to see another knuckle dragger here though.
snow report
skiboard316, the third clip just isn't carving. Almost every one of those turns starts with a pivot. It just isn't carving! The second clip has some pivoted entries to the turn and on a couple of occasions at least the ski breaks off its edge hold. The 6th clip doesn't look too bad, although it's difficult to see closely because there's a lot of snow being kicked up and the video isn't very close to the skier. The 'mogul' skiing is just embarrassing, and the steep powder was neither steep, nor powder, nor was it ridden well (despite the whooping and the hollering at the end of the clip). I'm not saying it is impossible to do those things on skiboards, and to do them well. But you haven't chosen video clips which illustrate those skills being employed on skiboards.

There are plenty of reasons why swinging shoulders are bad, and they apply equally to short skis as to long ones. It disturbs balance. It can set up rotational forces which cause the skis to lose grip when you want them to bite, it's slower than rotating your feet (especially on short skis!) and it is much less controllable than steering with your feet. All of those factors apply equally to short skis as well as to long ones.

I have skied on short skis, and I don't buy "it's skiboarding not skiing" for one moment. There's only one difference between short skis and long skis that is useful: the potential for very short carved turns; and one difference that most people on short skis seem to employ, unfortunately: rotational speed. And I am qualified to comment.
snow conditions
FWIW, rotating the shoulders to turn is /bad/ inline skating, too.
snow report
graeme wrote:
its either got to be end form perfect ski technique or its nothing.

OK, to prove that I'm not blinkered, can you describe the in what ways the technique for riding skiboards is different to the technique for skiing skis? Maybe in the context of deep powder, hard pack piste, moguls and chopped up variable snow? I'm genuinely keen to learn what the differences in technique are.
snow conditions
Actually, you just demonstrated that you don't actually know what you are talking about and are not qualified to comment.

There are more differences than what you claim.

#1. Short skis are assymetrical and are not center mounted. Thus, not the same as skiboards. That alone makes the ride very different.

#2. Skiboards typically have much wider waists than short skis. This has a significant affect on riding characteristics.

#3. High quality skiboards have much higher tips and tails than short skis

#4. The difference in sidecut depth between skiboards and short skis is significant. Short skis may be upwards of 12 meter turning radius. Skiboards are typically between 5 and 7 meter turning radius.

You can "not buy it" all you want. The fact is, you admit you haven't done it but yet you want to claim you are qualified to comment because you've been on short skis. If they were the same thing, I'd concede ... but they are not.

And if you are capable of doing better on 100, 110 or 120 cm skiboards on the steeps and deeps at Squaw Valley ... outstanding ... you are far more skilled than I am. Come on out and ride with us and treach us something. Or, at the very least, post us up some vids of your riding on 100, 110 and 120 cm symmetrical center mounted skiboards so we can all see that you've at least given it a go before ripping on skiboarding so much.

Riding short skis doesn't count. Sorry.

rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316,
I have skied on short skis, and I don't buy "it's skiboarding not skiing" for one moment. There's only one difference between short skis and long skis that is useful: the potential for very short carved turns; and one difference that most people on short skis seem to employ, unfortunately: rotational speed. And I am qualified to comment.
latest report
skiboard316, so please explain what the differences in technique are between riding skiboards and skiing on skis. None of what you've just listed has makes any significant difference.
snow conditions
skiboard316 wrote:
... before ripping on skiboarding so much.

I am not ripping on skiboarding, and it's a shame you can't see that. I'm simply pointing out that the videos you posted mostly suck, and I described why I reached that conclusion. There might be videos out there which show awesome skiboarding, in fact I'm sure there are, but you haven't linked to them. Given that you wanted to throw a bit of a challenge to us "skiboard haters" ( rolling eyes ) I think you've made a poor job of showcasing your chosen discipline.
snow report
I'm not remotely qualified to talk about the technical differences but I have to agree (having ridden both, and indeed owning both) that skiboards are indeed completely different from short skis.
latest report
#1. You do not have to lean forward and drive skiboards like you do skis. Being center mounted on a short symmetrical platform allows you to be more upright. On groomed runs, this means you can spin, rotate, pivot to your heart's content ... or you can turn, carve, "ski" however you want. You have much more freedom of ways to move and turn and navigate the run. Because of the shorter length, you certainly don't have as much edge hold on icy hardpack as you would have with a long ski. Thus, you have to make some adjustments in those conditions to keep from skidding out all the time. You might have to superweight your downhill board rather than employ a balanced two-foot carve.

#2. You don't have poles to plant and unweight on your turns. Thus, if you are in some deep stuff or chop and do need to unweight to make a transition, you may have to bound up and down a bit and swing the shoulders at times to get things going the other way. Sometimes, the boards may be riding somewhat "in the powder" rather than on top of it. I've been in soft deep powder with all but the tips of my boards under the surface of the snow ... just the tips poking up out of the fluff. It's a very different feel.

#3. On very short boards with smaller surface area, you may have to sit back on the tails to keep the tips floating in soft, deep powder.

#4. With the significantly shorter length, you do not have as much fore/aft stability. It can be more challenging to balance and to keep from pitching around in variable conditions and chop. This may mean that you take a lower stance, deeper knee bend to keep from getting jostled about or pitching forward.

The biggest differences are a result of not having poles and being center mounted on a symmetrical short board. Put those elements together and you are forced to find different ways of moving about than you would employ on traditional skis.

rob@rar wrote:
graeme wrote:

OK, to prove that I'm not blinkered, can you describe the in what ways the technique for riding skiboards is different to the technique for skiing skis? Maybe in the context of deep powder, hard pack piste, moguls and chopped up variable snow? I'm genuinely keen to learn what the differences in technique are.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
that skiboards are indeed completely different from short skis.

What I'm really interested to learn about is the difference in technique between skiboards and regular skis. IMO there's no significant difference in technique between short skis and long skis. Some minor adjustments that you would do subconsciously perhaps, but no major technical changes. So maybe there is a difference in technique between skiboards and skis?
latest report
skiboard316 wrote:
#1. You do not have to lean forward and drive skiboards like you do skis. Being center mounted on a short symmetrical platform allows you to be more upright. On groomed runs, this means you can spin, rotate, pivot to your heart's content ... or you can turn, carve, "ski" however you want. You have much more freedom of ways to move and turn and navigate the run. Because of the shorter length, you certainly don't have as much edge hold on icy hardpack as you would have with a long ski. Thus, you have to make some adjustments in those conditions to keep from skidding out all the time. You might have to superweight your downhill board rather than employ a balanced two-foot carve.

#2. You don't have poles to plant and unweight on your turns. Thus, if you are in some deep stuff or chop and do need to unweight to make a transition, you may have to bound up and down a bit and swing the shoulders at times to get things going the other way. Sometimes, the boards may be riding somewhat "in the powder" rather than on top of it. I've been in soft deep powder with all but the tips of my boards under the surface of the snow ... just the tips poking up out of the fluff. It's a very different feel.

#3. On very short boards with smaller surface area, you may have to sit back on the tails to keep the tips floating in soft, deep powder.

#4. With the significantly shorter length, you do not have as much fore/aft stability. It can be more challenging to balance and to keep from pitching around in variable conditions and chop. This may mean that you take a lower stance, deeper knee bend to keep from getting jostled about or pitching forward.

The biggest differences are a result of not having poles and being center mounted on a symmetrical short board. Put those elements together and you are forced to find different ways of moving about than you would employ on traditional skis.

rob@rar wrote:
graeme wrote:

OK, thanks for that. So the only significant difference to the technique you can employ is that the shortness of skiboards (and their inherent rotationalness, if there's such as word) means that it is easier to steer them rotationally, especially if you stay centred on them (which is a skill equally useful in skiing, in fact I was teaching that this morning). So that's all the more reason to use that skillfully, hence my criticism of the swinging shoulders. Everything else is pretty much the same other than having to make adjustments to manage their smaller surface area than long skis (and I didn't criticise the need to make those adjustments in the videos you linked to) and the opportunity to employ very tight carved turns (but I did criticise the clip which purported to show this, but actually wasn't). A big pole plant and pop to unweight turns with skis is somewhat old-fashioned, especially on piste so there are no significant differences there.

You haven't convinced me that there are any significant differences in technique that should be used to ride skiboards well compared to skiing long skis well.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
... I'm simply pointing out that the videos you posted mostly suck.. .

This is a very relative statement. Every single one of the riders in those clips I posted are different types of riders at different skill levels in different terrain. If you want to compare them to world class skiers, you are right, they suck. So do we all. You included ... I'm sure. That is unless you have prior world class experience in which case, my apologies. The point is, it all depends on your standard and point of reference.

If you want to compare the riders in the links to the majority of recreational riders all over the world, they are far ahead of the game. As well, some of the riders posted are better than 90% or more of the recreational skiers all over the world.

After all ... not that I'm trying to speak for anyone else here ... but most of the people on this forum are probably recreational riders - not pros and not hardcore freeskiers. Many people don't do park or jumps ... stick to the blues and maybe some blacks ... few venture into the backcountry or off-piste.

It's like watching a guy goofing off and having fun at the swimming pool ... perfectly comfortable and in no danger of drowning ... motoring around efficiently and swimming well ... and yet, you see the person, compare his technique to a high level competitive swimmer or diver and say, "Man, that guy sucks".

Give me a break.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 23-02-10 18:46; edited 2 times in total
latest report
skiboard316, the only problem with that is you posted those links as a way of saying "hey, skiboard haters, look at how great skiboards are. It's not as bad as you all make out." Then you post some videos which show pretty poor skiing/riding/call it what you want to if your aim was to illustrate how good skiboarding can be. I really don't think that is a relative statement to say that most of those videos suck when you look at the context they were posted in. To say that some of those riders are better than 90% of recreational skiers is well wide of the mark in my experience. If you had linked to videos showing genuinely good skiboard riding I don't think we would be having this discussion, but some of the stuff you showed was fundamentally flawed. Even the best of those clips wasn't particularly impressive, certainly nowhere near world class. Then you tried to defend it by saying I didn't know what I was talking about because the technique between skiing and skiboarding was so different.

I agree it would be unfair to criticise somebody for goofing around in a pool just because he wasn't employing the technique of a competitive swimmer. But what would you say if someone came along and said to a swim coach "hey, look at this guy isn't he brilliant?" ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And why are we going on and on about technique.

Are the riders in those clips getting down the mountain effectively and in control? Yes.

Are they having fun? Yes.

Are some of them carving smoothly or aggressively? Yes

Are they at different skill levels doing different things? Yes

Are they blasting through trees, navigating relatively steep runs, hucking jumps, grinding rails?

Yes, yes, yes

Are they eating it and tripping all over themselves? No.

Are they getting tips crossed? No

Are they taking out other riders because they are out of control? No

Are they going faster than they or their equipment can handle? No

Are they booting out and having their tails spin around on them? No

What's the problem and why do you care so much?

If you don't want to try it and don't want to do it, then don't.

But don't discourage others by being overly critical of something you've never tried.... or overly critical of riders who may not have the technical skiiing ability you think they should have.
ski holidays
Quote:

IMO there's no significant difference in technique between short skis and long skis.

Yes, I agree - even from the point of view of an unskilled skier, short skis feel very much like long skis, though less stable at higher speeds, fairly obviously, and easier to turn in moguls. Whereas snowblades (I haven't ridden any of the higher tech new ones) feel completely different. I can't really do the technical comparison at all but one of the most obvious differences when you put them on is that they shake all over the place. You soon learn that the way to stop them doing that is to get them on their edges - which I suppose is exactly why a ski instructor on a course I did once (Dave Peek, you probably know him) put us all on blades for a morning.

There's certainly a technique difference off piste. I didn't ride blades off piste but my kids did, and they got around pretty well, but the only way to do it was with a rather weird yomping technique to keep the tips up. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job, which more standard ski technique wouldn't have. I suspect that if a moderately skilled off piste skier put on snowblades and tried his usual techniques, he'd be in a hole in a twinkling of an eye.

You also seem to have to do different things with your arms, to counter the rotation (as with skates). Arm technique certainly feels different to me (though you also have to do similar kind of countering with arms if you skate on long skis without poles). But the poles - or lack of them - do make a difference there and as you tend to use more "skating" moves on blades (to keep moving) I think that may be a significant difference. The other big difference, emphasised to us on the course with Dave Peek, was that movements are much faster on blades - you can just skip about much more readily. He had us doing very quick tight turns, but warned us that when we got back on the skis in the afternoon, after the lesson, we should take it very easy for a while as employing the same technique on long skis would get us into big trouble. To me, long skis feel ponderous, but very restful, after some hours on blades. They're also far less hard on the knees, which is one reason why I don't use blades any more. wink
latest report
skiboard316 wrote:

For one very simple reason. You opened this thread with
Quote:
Despite what many believe, skiboards can be ridden well with great control in a variety of terrain.
then went on to provide links which showed skiboards mostly being ridden badly. If you've said
Quote:
look at these guys having fun on skiboards
I wouldn't have contributed in the way that I did. And your constant assertion that I can't skiboard because I've never tried one is just plain silly. There is no fundamental difference in technique between riding a skiboard and skiing on skis of any length. I can ski well enough to ride a skiboard pretty well, and I have the qualifications to teach skiboarding should anyone want a lesson.
snow report
pam w, I agree there's a set of minor adjustments you need to make. But that's the same sort of thing you do when swapping between different categories of ski. I don't ski my slalom skis in the same way as I ski mid-fats, for example. But I don't believe there are fundamental differences.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316, the only problem with that is you posted those links as a way of saying "hey, skiboard haters, look at how great skiboards are. It's not as bad as you all make out." Then you post some videos which show pretty poor skiing/riding/call it what you want to if your aim was to illustrate how good skiboarding can be...

You are making more of my initial post than you should be. I never claimed the clips were examples of world class riding. I never claimed they were demonstrating stellar technique. However, they are almost all doing things most recreational riders don't or can't do.

I said skiboards are a lot of fun and can be ridden well with great control. Re-read my initial post.

None of the riders in the links were out of control. By anyone's standards, they are riding well ("well" .. not perfect, not exceptional ski technique) ... demonstrating they are perfectly capable of handling varried terrain without getting hurt.

None of these guys are going to be holding up the traffic on any blue run. They are not going to be kicking off their boards and doing the walk of shame on a tough, steep ungroomed black or double-black.

Some of the riders are ripping aerials off big jumps and stomping the landings on planks less than half the length of traditional skis. Can you do that? I know I can't.

Thus, to me those guys are riding pretty damn well. I cannot navigate a mogul field on 100 cm boards as well as the guys in the clips. I cannot bust 40+ mph carves or pull 720s off jumps either.

Perhaps my standards are much lower than yours, but when I view those clips I see a bunch of riders having a great time, riding well, and in some instances successfully navigating some very difficult terrain that is made even more challenging by the shorter planks they are on.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 23-02-10 18:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pam w wrote:
You also seem to have to do different things with your arms, to counter the rotation (as with skates).

Skate or skiboard, a -need- to use arm moves is a sign of incomplete balance transfer at the hips.
snow conditions
skiboard316 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316, the only problem with that is you posted those links as a way of saying "hey, skiboard haters, look at how great skiboards are. It's not as bad as you all make out." Then you post some videos which show pretty poor skiing/riding/call it what you want to if your aim was to illustrate how good skiboarding can be...

You are making more of my initial post than you should be. I never claimed the clips were examples of world class riding.

I'm not sure how I could read it any other way, but if you say you're making no such claims that's absolutely fine. I don't disagree that skiboards/blades can be great fun and ridden well; when I see examples like that it's a joy to watch, although I'm sorry to say good examples are far outweighed by bad examples where I ski (far more so than skiers or snowboarders).

As for the clips themselves, the freestyle guys were decent riders and the extreme carver was OK but by no means exceptional. The rest looked pretty average to me, just the same as the majority of recreational skiers I see around the mountain, including some of the same fundamental flaws. The guy in the 'moguls' was the worst of the lot, and as a friendly piece of advice I really urge you not to aspire to his technique Smile
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
pam w wrote:
You also seem to have to do different things with your arms, to counter the rotation (as with skates).

Skate or skiboard, a -need- to use arm moves is a sign of incomplete balance transfer at the hips.

Exactly. A failure to separate properly the lower body's and the upper body's movements, leading to excessive rotational movement and insufficient lateral movement.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316 wrote:

For one very simple reason. You opened this thread with
Quote:
then went on to provide links which showed skiboards mostly being ridden badly. If you've said
Quote:
look at these guys having fun on skiboards
I wouldn't have contributed in the way that I did. And your constant assertion that I can't skiboard because I've never tried one is just plain silly. There is no fundamental difference in technique between riding a skiboard and skiing on skis of any length. I can ski well enough to ride a skiboard pretty well, and I have the qualifications to teach skiboarding should anyone want a lesson.

Once again ... you are making more of this than you should.

I did not open the thread with: "Look, skiboarders demonstrating awesome technique."

I said "riding well with great control in a variety of terrain". I showed powder, park, moguls, steeps, and groomers. Short boards handling it all ... no one eating it, no one frantically fighting for balance or frantically trying to slow down and stop or check speed because they just can't handle things.

As well, I never said you couldn't skiboard. In fact, I keep encouraging you to try try it. And if you can do better, post up some clips of yourself doing all those same things with significantly better technique and I'll applaud you. Throw some corks and some 720s off some good sized jumps and stomp the landings on 100 cm boards better than the riders in the Revel8 video and I'll concede that you are the man.

You are the one who made the assertion that there is no difference between skiboards and short skis. You made that assertion admittedly without ever having been on a pair of high quality skiboards.
snow report
skiboard316, oh well, I tried to meet you half way but you don't seem to want to find agreement. I've already answered all of those points, so it seems repetitive and foolish to go through it again. Happy skiboarding.
snow conditions
Damm, and I'd just gone and got the popcorn Toofy Grin
ski holidays
[quote="rob@rar"][quote="skiboard316"]
rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316, The guy in the 'moguls' was the worst of the lot, and as a friendly piece of advice I really urge you not to aspire to his technique Smile

And why not?

If I can get down a steep mogul field on 100 cm boards without eating it, without getting injured and have a good time doing it ... why do I care what my technique is? The answer is: I don't.

Why should I care?

Why should you care?

If I'm: 1. Not getting hurt.
2. Not hurting anyone else
3. In control
4. Enjoying myself

.... all is well in the world and I don't care one bit how poor someone thinks my form is.

I'm not going to be competing in mogul events. I'm not going to be trying to bomb down them as fast as I can so I can spend more time on the chairlift than I spend on the snow. I'm not out on the mountain trying to be precise and technically superior. I'm out to have fun.

The rap in skiboarding is: They're dangerous, they're for people who can't ride "real" skis, etc ,etc

It's all garbage from people who don't really know what they are talking about.

I have far more control on skiboards than I ever had on skis. I use release bindings and with the shorter length there is far less torque on my joints than with longer skis when I do biff it. I can ride real skis just fine down blues and blacks but I never enjoyed skis. I like the lighter weight, greater maneuverability and faster learning curve and progression of skiboards and will never go back to regular skis.

If it's not your thing, it's not your thing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy