Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA cabin crew strike ballot - outcome due today

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman wrote:
richjp wrote:
As for a pilot with years of experience is concerned, I think there is a possible case for stating that a pilot with five years experience is safer than with one with twenty years, as the pilot with twenty years will have been doing the same old thing for so long that he might be less likely to be quick thinking on the rare occasion that an emergency does arise.

The vet who landed the airbus on the Hudson, after bird strikes took out both engines, did a bloody good job.

He certainly did, however if you look up his biography he is an exceptional individual. He spent ten years in the US Air Force in his early career during which time he spent five years flying F14s operationally.

I would suggest therefore that he has far more experience of genuinely flying and manouvering aircraft, as well as being instantly reactive than most commercial pilots, much of whose work is automated in this day and age. He was certainly the right man in the right place when the accident occurred.

I did deliberately say they there was a "possible" case for saying that a pilot with lesser years might be the better person in an emergency to try and illustrate, maybe not very well, that total flying years might not be the only factor in assessing who would be the better individual in an emergency.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Barshaker - it was a 777 not a 767 that crash landed at Heathrow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, too right - loads of envy Laughing but calling some one scum because they are trying to safeguard their position (they are not trying to get better conditions or more, just trying to hang on to what they have) is a bit harsh, especially as there may not even be a strike and if there is a strike it may not impinge on specific long haul flights.

Susieski suggests she has more of a conscience than the cabin crew because she can not risk a few days disruption (maybe) that may let her clients down, yet is able to take eight weeks off each winter to head to the States without undue disruption; to be honest I found it mildly amusing juxtaposing the disruption of a few days delay with an 8 week sabatical, and cabin crew trying to maintain their working conditions Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richjp,

Of course it isn't, and some youngsters will be exceptional pilots and perform better than some other older polits but that is down to individuals. Overall the more experience the better, and I'd rather have an experienced pilot in charge in the cockpit in an emergency rather than a rookie.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler, this is an interesting point as the RAF's metalwork is flown predominately by quite young men and women. If you are over 36 you can't even join and you wont get a front seat job if you are joining more than a year or two after leaving uni. Pilots must join before they are 26.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker, OTOH, I'm sure I've read that 35 is the peak for a modern fighter pilot, and IIRC that the top ace in the Falklands war was about that age. Of course, that's entirely consistent with having to start training at a young age.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker,
Quote:

this is an interesting point as the RAF's metalwork is flown predominately by quite young men and women. If you are over 36 you can't even join and you wont get a front seat job if you are joining more than a year or two after leaving uni. Pilots must join before they are 26.

Can't say I know anything about flying but I imagine the skills required of a fighter pilot where combat situations against other pilots and ground forces require razor sharp reactions which are pracitsed must be a different skill to those required in commercial aviation where the practised avoidance of danger is paramount and lightning fast reations are likely to be less important than the avoidance of dangerous situations.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
surely commercial pilots use the auto pilot most of the time anyway, so this experience thing is bit of a red hearring unless you are flying in to Innsbruck or somehwere difficult?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember being gobsmacked at an airshow last year, to hear that the Typhoon was being flown by a 27yr old pilot. He is one of the best we have, apparently. Nice job!!

T Bar, that makes perfect sense.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:
Kruisler, this is an interesting point as the RAF's metalwork is flown predominately by quite young men and women. If you are over 36 you can't even join and you wont get a front seat job if you are joining more than a year or two after leaving uni. Pilots must join before they are 26.

?????????

What has an air force recruitment policy got to do with the question of whether a roookie or experienced pilot will perform best in an emergency? Secondly, "experience" rather than age was the actual issue even if they are obviously linked

The RAF and pretty much any other air force recruit the way they do because their pilots are going to cost an awful lot of money to train (The US put the cost at $9M per pilot 10 yrs ago) and then be subjected to physical strain that means that passed a certain age they won't be able to take it.
So they train you young so that they get maximum return on their investment.

All services have to have an age limit. I doubt the army would keenly recruit a 36yr old to train him/her even as a private.. Non-combat role at a push...

The same point I made earlier still applies though. Given the choice, if I was in a military aircraft and things started to go tits up, then I'd rather have a pilot with 4000h on his log rather than one with 50. That's not to say that a newly qualified pilot will not handle the emergency admirably, it's just that the more experienced pilot will have more knowledge to draw from so he'd be my choice all other considerations aside.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-02-10 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops wrote:
surely commercial pilots use the auto pilot most of the time anyway, so this experience thing is bit of a red hearring unless you are flying in to Innsbruck or somehwere difficult?

Experience is unimportant when everything goes according to plan and the auto-pilot does its job. When it matters when the $h!t hits the fan..
It's a bit like insurances or TO...you only really see their worth when things go bad.. wink

Plus these days, an older/more experienced pilot is more likely to have known the times were things weren't as computer assisted in the cockpit and therefore maybe more likely to know how to handle his aircraft "on his own"..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kruisler, the older pilot is more likely to be going senile too wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops,

for your information I am self employed.

I have no job security and no pension.

I work for minimum wage and take no holidays apart from skiing.

I save all year and go without things most people take for granted. For example, I have no car or television and never eat out. I earn less than £15000 before tax.
I need to get back home not only honor a commitment but to save my job.

and, as for being just a few days delay? If the strike started on the 8th for 12 days plus backlog then it`s more than a few days.

The problem is no one knows IF , WHEN, or HOW LONG. So, maximum stress caused to passengers even without any industrial action announced.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aviation is one of my things so sorry for the overload of posts..

laundryman wrote:
bar shaker, OTOH, I'm sure I've read that 35 is the peak for a modern fighter pilot, and IIRC that the top ace in the Falklands war was about that age. Of course, that's entirely consistent with having to start training at a young age.

And most test pilots, military or civilian, also tend to be older and with quite an extensive flight log.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
susieski, well that is telling me Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Kruisler, the older pilot is more likely to be going senile too wink

Right you are, and next time you see a 70yr old in the cockpit maybe you wait for the next flight... Very Happy

On a serious note, yes past a certain point then you need to be careful... There is some debate as to what the retiring age for pilots should be.. Not sure there is an exact/correct answer..

Last time I attended the RIAT, I talked to French fighter pilot.... 19 yr old..just finished his training. By the time he is 39 he'll have 20+ years of experience at flying..yet will be hardly old so thta's my point: while age may end up being an issue, experience can only be a plus...
snow report
Kruisler wrote:

Plus these days, an older/more experienced pilot is more likely to have known the times were things weren't as computer assisted in the cockpit and therefore maybe more likely to know how to handle his aircraft "on his own"..

LOL, but you'd come up with some good points until then.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
ski holidays
IF , WHEN, or HOW LONG.

Just got up (nights) and cant find if any decision on dates has been made yet? Any ideas on announcement of the decision/dates or should I just continue to chew fingernails and keep Googling other flights rolling eyes
ski holidays
Lots of things I would like to say here! (As always Laughing ) But I will try and stick to the point.

Firstly, to deal with the fact that the thread seems to have gone off on a 'safety' tangent. One thing I will say about the merits of different airlines is that it is not how experienced the pilots are (and remember there are at least 2 on every flight, with the captain usually - but not always - a good deal more experienced than the co-pilot,) but rather what the airline chooses to do with the valuable resource that is a fully trained pilot. The 'fully trained' bit is important, because there are UK airlines out there that allow pilots fresh out of flying school to fly their passenger jets around for a large fee - yes, some airlines are allowing work experience pilots to build up their hours with their paying guests. Other lo-costs would not stoop to this level. There is a lot of exploitation going on out there. Going back to the bit where I said it depends what the airline chooses to do with it's pilots - the industry is a complex one, far too complex to go into succinctly here - it is often misunderstood and grossly misrepresented in the press. But some airlines take short cuts, or ask it's pilots to carry out exhausting shift patterns. Or ask it's pilots to work close to the limits of what is legal or indeed sensible. All the experience in the world is not going to help a stressed, tired pilot flying an aircraft with multiple small and allowable defects when the poo hits the fan. As another poster said, I would fly with EZY. I would not touch Ryanair with a bargepole, but a lot of people like them.

I will state that I am incredibly lucky to work for BA (even though I am never in a million years going to earn £200k+. It took me AGES to pick myself up off the floor laughing after reading that!) I have a lot to loose here, as do my flying colleagues. BA pays a good salary (but not £200k+. Ho ho ho - *wiping tears away from eyes.* Why do you think I booked with Ski Beat and not somewhere more luxurious?) but in return it locks you into a seniority system, which determines what aircraft you fly, what routes you get, what days you fly, which holidays you get, who gets the upgrade on staff travel - everything. It is all seniority based, the idea being that you have either passed your sim check every 6 months to BA standard (which is higher, incidently, than the CAA standard,) or you have no job! Many other airlines, such as Virgin, operate the same seniority system. So if I (a senior first officer with 6000+ hrs experience, which would make me a not-inexperienced captain in some lo-costs) left BA and went to Virgin, I would start back at the bottom, on the entry rate salary - which is lower than the salary the fire services were going to strike over their new officers earning a few years ago.

So there we go - a quick dissertation on why BA pilots have a vested interest in the company NOT going bust, and why not all experienced pilots are equal.

Back to the strike,though. There are no dates announced, so I can't give any heads up there. But this is going to be huge in the company, and a bit messy. Many workers - not just pilots - are preparing to attempt to provide a seamless coverage of as many flights as possible should a strike go ahead. The striking cabin crew will be walloped first, and allowed an appeal later, once normality is resumed. We have many flights which are duplicated, eg we fly to Dubai 3 times a day - this woulde be condensed into 2 flights a day. We currently fly with more than the minimum cabin crew on each flight, so we would be able to take off with fewer crew members without problem. Many cabin crew are NOT going to strike. There are a lot of actions which will be implemented to try and keep as much of the airline running as normally as possible.

I cannot tell you what is going to happen. And I really wouldn't blame anyone who booked elsewhere. All I can say is that we have a lot more than a few days in the life of the company at stake here. I think that once the dust has settled BA will be a very different place to work. Hopefully a better place, but we will have to wait and see.

So there we go. I thought I kept that quite short, for me wink Laughing
ski holidays
pandora, the problem is, if you HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time or can't afford the significant cost of re-booking at the last minute, passengers can't run the risk of "wait and see if BA manage to run my flight". For example I'm booked onto a Friday night HK - LHR flight in April. Even if a strike is announced 7 days in advance, i doubt that cancellations will be announced until the last minute, and by that time the equivalent Cathay flight will be full or prohibitively expensive. However, i can't get my money back unless the BA flight is cancelled, and changing it to another date is useless to me as i have to be in Europe for a specific reason in April.

Which leaves me two options:

- Wait and see, but have a lot of stress worrying about it in the meantime
- Book a back up Cathay flight that I can cancel - yes, Cathay let you cancel basic economy tickets, unlike BA!! It would still cost me about £100 to do this, so I have the choice of stress or being out of pocket.

And that's before we even get on to the LHR - Munich part of my trip - with those i think i really will have to leave it to the last minute.

Ay surprise I'm p#d off with the cabin crew (and BA by default)?
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
BB that reads like some pilots barely pass a minimum standard and are dangerous. This isn't the case.

We would have to agree to disagree here.

bar shaker wrote:

You can't fly with an airline, into or out of the UK that has pilots who are anything less than the world's best.

That's quite a profound statement and one that again, I'd have to disagree with.

bar shaker wrote:

It is worth noting that there is an extensive EASA list of airlines that are banned from EU airspace because their maintenance and or training regimes are not up to scratch.

You're quite right - EASA does recommend a list of banned airlines which are not permitted by the EC to fly in Europe - there are many more that I wouldn't fly with who are not on the list.

bar shaker wrote:

LPC is a training/refresher exercise as much as a proficiency check.

Again, we'll have to disagree on this. The main objective of the proficiency check is for the applicant to demonstrate their skill under test conditions, anything that is not completed to standard is either repeated after a quick verbal debrief or retrained and retested. There are a couple of items stipulated in FCL 1158 which are "trained" these are the complex and difficult system failures that lend themselves to in depth analysis. However, recall/time sensitive items from the abnormal checklist (for example stall recovery) should not require any training input and the ability to follow a non normal checklist should never be in doubt.

bar shaker wrote:

Some of the scenarios that are thrown at pilots would be near impossible to survive but trainers/examiners are looking at how the pilot functions under intense stress, as much as they are looking at their flying skills.

Yes examiners/trainers are looking at the CRM displayed by the crew but they should never be presented with an impossible scenario - this is against the guidelines and counter productive.

bar shaker wrote:

The case of the 767 that crashed short at Heathrow was only the miracle it was because the pilot retracted the flaps and extended the glide. This would have been a technical fail in an LPC.

The crew would not be presented with a total engine failure on an LPC, perhaps on an Line Orientated Flight Training Exercise or Line Orientated Evaluation and they cannot be failed on something that was impossible to prevent.

bar shaker wrote:

The cabin crew in this dispute are being very naive. The world has changed since the days of the miners, the dockers and grave diggers holding the country to ransom and BA is no longer a state industry which will be bailed out, no matter how uncompetitive it becomes. There is an old cartoon of two groups of people sitting in a boat. At one end, there is a smoking cannon. The caption says "excellent shot, water is pouring in at the capitalists' end of the boat".

Hear! Hear! Absolutely spot on - amazing that some of the Cabin Crew have stated that they would rather take BA down than give an inch - they'd rather have no job and see a company employing 50,000 people go bust for the sake of working a little harder with their pay protected.

Lets hope that Unite/BASSA see sense - somehow I doubt it. The turkeys are meeting up later on today to vote on the timing for Christmas rolling eyes
ski holidays
BA should introduce a new regulation. All cabin crew to wear a badge displaying whether they voted for or against industrial action. This must be worn at all times while in view of passengers.
Non compliance resulting in termination of employment.
snow conditions
Rag+Stick, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

What passengers? If they go on strike there wont be any BA.
snow report
BB my info was second hand and not current so thanks for correcting it. GA is enough for me!

I really hope commonsense prevails in this but agree that it's likely to get messy bfore this happens. I also worry about the long term damage it will do. Alitalia is perfect example of an airline run by unions.
ski holidays
Strike dates put on hold. Almost worse than being told a firm date, really. No one can book certain there will be no strike
snow report
Beanie1 - if your flights as in April then I don't think they will be affected.... the strike must start within 4 weeks of the ballot (so by 22nd March) so they would need to reballot in order to strike in April - and they have said that they won't strike over Easter...
snow report
katedenhaag wrote:
Beanie1 - if your flights as in April then I don't think they will be affected.... the strike must start within 4 weeks of the ballot (so by 22nd March) so they would need to reballot in order to strike in April - and they have said that they won't strike over Easter...

No, they would only have to reballot for the strikes to start in April.

Once they have started, they can carry on for as long as they like, so long as they don't leave too long a gap between strike days.
snow conditions
alex_heney, absolutely.

So p'd off, think i have no option but to book a back up flight to London. Once I@m in London I'm hoping there'd be more last minute options to Munich on an April Saturday - what do people think?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't find the article again to link to it, but they don't even need to reballot for the strikes to continue into April. So long as action has "commenced" within 28 days of the ballot, even if it is just a half day walk out, then they are within the 28 day ruling and can continue to set further strikes dates in the future.

That Channel 4 articles gets my goat. What dross reporting.
"Fears British Airways cabin crew would announce strike dates today have been allayed with confirmation that talks to avert industral action will continue."

Fears haven't been allayed at all - what tosh, it just means the fear of the strike is still there but the dates are still unknown which just creates more uncertainty. The reporter seems to have overlooked the fact that the union is delaying to cause more disruption to put more pressure on BA (the longer it goes on the more BA lose, as who in their right mind is going to buy a BA ticket at present ?) and give it self more time to negotiate.

They could have announced dates (so people already booked would at least know and could alternative arrangements) and still continued to negotiate with BA, but they have deliberately chosen to keep everyone in the dark. It is this sort of behavoir I find derisory.

They can continue to faff about and do this until 15th March which is the last date they must announce strike dates to meet the 28 day ruling whilst still giving the required 7 days notice.
latest report
Gazzza wrote:
the union is delaying to cause more disruption to put more pressure on BA (the longer it goes on the more BA lose, as who in their right mind is going to buy a BA ticket at present ?) and give it self more time to negotiate.

Quite.
snow report
I can only believe that the BA staff are hoping for redundancy, with very little redundancy pay, they are killing the airline by their actions, how totally pointless.

My hope is that my son's school trip gets to Heavenly but then gets stuck in San Francisco for a few days on the way back if they strike Laughing
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
alex_heney, absolutely.

So p'd off, think i have no option but to book a back up flight to London. Once I@m in London I'm hoping there'd be more last minute options to Munich on an April Saturday - what do people think?

be a bit careful, because if you do not take your outward flight it normally renders the return flight null and void
latest report
Simon Calder's take in the Independent

Quote:
Between 21 September and 2 October, the conciliation service worked energetically – not to bridge the management-union divide, but to try to persuade the warring Unite factions to sit in the same room. But ancient internecine acrinomy prevailed. "There was no meeting between the Union and BA," laments a deadpan Sir Christopher. "The old allegiances have held sway."

I hadn't realised that there was a play within a play going on here - one of internal union discord.
ski holidays
rayscoops, my return flight to HK is actually a single with Cathay anyway! Yes it may be the position that say the strike is over the outbound part of my flight i have to make alternative arrangements LHR - Munich. If this were to happen, given the circumstances I'd hope BA would honour the return leg!!
ski holidays
Latest talks between BA management and cabin crew union has broken down. Looks like strike dates will be announced in the next day or two. Apparently they won't strike over Easter, but dates in March seem likely.
snow conditions
Yep, it's looming ever closer to my flight to Denver on 23rd March, which if they strike now looks almost certainly to be in the strike period, unless by some miraculous feat the union/crew see a bit of common sense and stand down.
latest report
STRIKE DATES ANNOUNCED (click)

Lets hope the rest of BA keep the aircraft flying.
ski holidays
could this break the firm this time. Maybe the extra ballot will stop the strike?
ski holidays
Baaaad news for BA and us poor passengers. This from Travelmole:

British Airways cabin crew are to strike over seven days this month - but a last ditch offer from the airline could see the walk-out being postponed.

The Unite union today confirmed industrial action will take place for three days from March 20 and four days from March 27.

Crucially, this means the union has stuck to its pledge not to dispute Easter peak holiday flights.

But the seven days of action is bound to cause massive disruption despite the airline stressing that it will make all efforts to keep aircraft flying.

The strike dates were outlined today after lengthy talks between union leaders and the airline broke down ealrier this week.

The union will also ballot members on a new offer from BA aimed at preventing strike action.

Unite is not recommending BA's offer to its members. The ballot on the offer will take place straight away and if cabin crew vote to accept the airline's offer, the strike action will be called off, the union said.
Unite had until Monday to announce the dates of any industrial action in the row over pay and work conditions.

BA has said it is determined to keep the airline flying by using volunteer cabin crew and chartering in aircraft.

Unite assistant general secretary and lead negotiator with BA Len McCluskey said: “The talks we have been conducting with British Airways over the entire course of this year reached a conclusion this week.

“Regrettably, management turned down a remarkable offer from the union which would have given the company everything it said it wanted while also meeting our members’ concerns.

“However, despite spurning this proposal, British Airways management finally submitted a formal offer of its own to Unite yesterday. It is welcome that the company acknowledges that negotiated agreement, not imposition, is the only way to conduct mature industrial relations at BA.

“It is right that cabin crew should be given the opportunity to consider this offer, although it falls short of what we believe is needed to address the legitimate concerns they have about crew complement and service delivery.

“Unite will therefore hold a consultative ballot of our cabin crew members to ascertain their view on the offer. We would anticipate getting the result of this consultation by the middle of next week.

“However, we are unable to recommend the offer, and are therefore also setting strike dates in accordance with the mandate the union has twice overwhelmingly secured from our members.

“Strikes are planned for March 20, 21 and 22 and further on March 27, 28, 29 and 30. There will be no strikes over the Easter period, as we already promised, but further industrial action will be called to take place after April 14 if the dispute has not been resolved.

“The consultative ballot we are holding will be concluded before the first day of industrial action is scheduled to take place.

"Should that ballot show a majority in favour of the company’s offer, then all the strike action announced today will of course be cancelled."

He added: “Should our members accept the company offer, Unite stands willing to work with British Airways to restore its industrial relations, its image and its prospects, provided we have a willing partner on the management side.

“Should they turn the proposal down then, in the absence of a better offer from the company before the dates I have announced for strike action, Unite will stand four square behind our cabin crew members in their struggle against industrial dictatorship, and we will call on the whole of the labour movement at home and abroad to stand with us.”
latest report
Our flight schedule plans for proposed strike dates

The tables below give details of our anticipated operations for the proposed strike period.

Franchise, codeshare and alliance

All flights operated by our franchise, codeshare and alliance partners will operate normally, and are subject to our general conditions of carriage. This includes flights operated by :-

Franchise, codeshare and alliance flights operating normally

Carrier
Flight number range

Loganair
BA 4000 to BA 4199

LAN Airlines
BA 4300 to BA 4309

Malev
BA 4450 to BA 4499

BA CityFlyer
BA 4500 to BA 4549

Cathay Pacific
BA 4550 to BA 4599

Japan Airlines
BA 4600 to BA 4649

American Airlines
BA 5000 to BA 5699

Aer Lingus
BA 5700 to BA 5999

Finnair
BA 6000 to BA 6099

Flybe
BA 6100 to BA 6199

Comair
BA 6200 to BA 6449

OpenSkies
BA 7000 to BA 7039

Meridiana Fly
BA 7040 to BA 7049

Iberia
BA 7050 to BA 7299

Qantas
BA 7300 to BA 7499

Various
BA 7500 to BA 7599

Sun-Air of Scandinavia A/S
BA 8200 to BA 8299

BACityFlyer
BA 8450 to BA 8769

To / from London City

Routes
Flight number range
Status

Between London City and New York (JFK)
BA 0001 to BA 0004
These flights will operate normally and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules

Various
BA 8450 to BA 8497
BA 8700 to BA 8769
BA CityFlyer flights will operate normally

To / from London Heathrow (Terminals 3 and 5)

Routes
Flight number range
Status

Between London Heathrow and Outside Europe
BA 0005 to BA 0299
Some flights will operate normally.

Some flights will operate using British Airways aircraft providing a different style of onboard service.

More details Other flights will be cancelled.

Between London Heathrow and the UK and Europe
BA 0300 – BA 0999
BA 1300 – BA 1499

Some flights will operate using BA approved chartered aircraft providing a different style of onboard service.

More details Other flights will be cancelled.

Flights operated by our franchise, codeshare or alliance partners are unaffected. See top table. Exact details of our flying schedule during the strike period are liable to change at short notice

To / from London Gatwick

Routes
Flight number range
Status

Between London Gatwick and outside Europe
BA 2000 to BA 2299
All flights will operate normally and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules.

Between London Gatwick and the UK and Europe
BA 2300 to BA 2999
BA 7950 to BA 8199

Other flights will be cancelled.

Flights operated by our franchise, codeshare or alliance partners are unaffected. See top table. Exact details of our flying schedule during the strike period are liable to change at short notice.

Rebooking and refund options for strike dates

Flights from London City to and from New York (JFK) and all longhaul flights to and from London Gatwick will continue to operate normally and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules.

For all other flights, until we finalise our flying schedule, if you are booked to travel between 19 and 31 March 2010, you have the choice of rebooking or cancelling and obtaining a refund.

Until we finalise our flying schedule, if you are booked to travel between 19 and 31 March 2010 and wish to change your travel plans you can:

· Rebook to travel on another BA flight on the same route up to 355 days in the future at no extra charge, subject to availability.

OR

· Cancel your booking and obtain a refund to the original form of payment.

n.b. If your booking includes a BA flight outside of these dates, or includes a flight from London City to and from New York (JFK) or all longhaul flights operating to and from London Gatwick or one operated by our franchise, codeshare or alliance partners you will be able to change these flights at the same time.

Please note

If you claim a full refund and subsequently discover that your original flight is going to operate normally and you want to rebook on to your original flight then you will be treated as a new customer and can only purchase a new ticket at the prices available at the time.

If you rebook onto a flight outside of the strike period and subsequently discover that your original flight is going to operate then you will be allowed to rebook back onto the original flight at no extra cost, subject to availability.

Your options once we announce which flights we intend to operate

If your flight is still operating

Flights from London City to and from New York (JFK) and all longhaul flights to and from London Gatwick will continue to operate normally and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules.

For all other flights operating during 19 and 31 March 2010 if you wish to change your travel plans you will be able to:

· Rebook to travel on another BA flight on the same route up to 355 days in the future at no extra charge, subject to availability.

· Refunds will not be allowed unless the fare rules allow.

If your flight is cancelled due to strike action you will be able to:

· Rebook onto another British Airways flight within 355 days of the original date of travel at no extra charge, subject to availability.

OR

· Rebook onto another British Airways flight to/from the nearest alternative airport (for example, if booked to/from Boston you could rebook to/from Philadelphia or New York) at no extra charge, subject to availability. Any additional costs to get to/from the alternative airport is at your own expense.

OR

· Cancel your booking and obtain a refund to the original form of payment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy