Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA cabin crew strike ballot - outcome due today

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I can't be the only one waiting with with baited breath....

Unite were due to announce the result at 2pm though now it supposed to be released at 5pm, but reports in papers suggest two thirds polled said they had voted yes to strike.

Suggestions floating around that they could strike as early as early March (I've read some places referring to 1 Mar, others talking about 4 March) which either way could scupper a great number of peoples plans and hard earned holidays.

I'm rather selfilhsly hoping it doesn't screw up my long standing holiday plans.

Fingers crossed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Bated' breath

Yet another airline thread in The Piste. rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it may yet prevent me, and others, reaching said piste.

Now get back to your Shakespearean dictionary.
wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We fly for long weekend to Morzine with BA this Wednesday and are due fly back with BA on March 1st. Hope we do get back Sad As we are flying out again on Sunday 14th but with Swiss Air snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gazzza, so would bad halitrosis if the check-in staff rejected your boarding as a consequence; but it has zip to dowith skiing, really.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was about to book a flight - with BA - to Vancouver yesterday - but then thought better of it in the light of the company`s recent (and not so recent) shennanigans. Decided to go with Air Canada instead. I wonder how many others have gone through similar thought processes. Can`t help feeling that BA (or certain BA staff) have a death wish.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well it does as it's a skiing holiday I am going on. And I'm sure plenty of other snowheads are booked with BA who will find it very relevent if the strike goes ahead.

Perhaps you don't have to travel to a ski resort and you have one in you're back garden.
But if like me you have to catch a flight to go skiing then you might find a strike with our national carrier of relevence.

If you don't find it relevent, move on.

Oh, and while you are being anal about spelling, I think you are referring to "halitosis"?
NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gazzza, that is telling you Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not looking too good rolling eyes
I have flights booked for 14th with BA to Italy but I wonder/hope (sorry for those booked at easter) if they will do Easter time to cause as much trauma/disruption as possible? I have Swiss booked for weekend after Easter tri Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BBC are reporting "strong backing" for a strike. I've switched from BA to Swiss for my flights for the rest of the season. Partly because Swiss don't charge for ski carriage so were cheaper overall, and partly because I don't want to get caught up in a strike which might potentially wreck a long weekend trip to the Alps.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gazzza, almost one to you. Typo as opposed to ignorance, though. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

BA cabin crew voted 81% in favour of industrial action over pay and conditions, says Unite union
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like they have voted in favour and strikes are quite likely. Loads of hits appearing on google news now, take your pick:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8527100.stm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/BA-Cabin-Crew-Vote-In-Favour-Of-Strikes-Result-Of-Ballot-On-Action-Announced/Article/201002415556464?lpos=Business_First_Buisness_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15556464_BA_Cabin_Crew_Vote_In_Favour_Of_Strikes%3A_Result_Of_Ballot_On_Action_Announced

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/feb/22/ba-cabin-crew-vote-strike

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ba-cabin-crew-vote-to-strike-1906994.html

Linds, I read earlier that they had agreed not to strike over easter, after the furore caused when they threatened to strike over christmas. The reports tending to be point to March sometime.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds, no it's not looking good Sad I am booked for 5 March. Not quite so worried about getting back though Toofy Grin This is the fourth year of an annual weekend trip with friends and the third time BA have caused concern before our trip. I think another carrier will get our business next year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
Gazzza, almost one to you. Typo as opposed to ignorance, though. Laughing

haha yes, although ignorance only sofar as modern commonplace misconception if that article you linked to is correct Very Happy

Of course you could've picked up on the shocking grammar in my last couple of posts and it'd be 2-1 to you
Embarassed
latest report
They have confirmed they will not strike over easter and in fact have no dates planned.............they want to talk to BA to resolve the dispute.............looks like its over to the management. They have to give 7 days notice for strike action.
snow report
Quite incredible.

Bye bye BA.
snow conditions
The cabin crew union is not well-regarded in BA at the best of times, and tens of thousands of non-cabin staff are behind Willy Walsh's plan to break BASSA over this. We are fed up with them. Many staff from other departments have been trained up as temporary cabin crew to step into the gaps left by the strikers. This includes pilots, who, to the distress of the cabin crew union, only took 3 days to train up to full BA cabin crew spec.

Many of us are proud to work for BA and have no desire to see this strike cripple BA, and will do what it takes to keep the airline running. We hope, while you may notice a difference in the service, that the vast majority of passengers will actually be on an aircraft to experience a service, getting to where they want to go to, when they want to. Be assured that the rest of BA that are not BASSA (and remember this includes thousands of other cabin crew too) will be trying our hardest for you.

I can't say any more than that.
snow conditions
pandora, the difficulty is there is no certainty that flights will run to schedule during the strike period, so many people, myself included, will decide not to risk it and fly with another carrier.

The fear of industrial action and the fact that the imposition of ski carriage has now priced BA out of the market means that they've lost me as a regular customer. In recent years I've taken 10 or 12 flights to GVA with BA each season. This season it will be 1.
snow report
pandora, thank you for that but as rob@rar says, the fear of strike action will mean that people will go elsewhere. BASSA's action will bring ensure that the baby goes down with the bathwater so to speak.
ski holidays
Smokin Joe wrote:
They have confirmed they will not strike over easter and in fact have no dates planned.............they want to talk to BA to resolve the dispute.............looks like its over to the management. They have to give 7 days notice for strike action.

10 days for me then, not the sort of countdown I enjoy.
snow report
Lou, and rob@rar, we are all very aware of that. But regardless the rest of us will fight tooth and nail to keep our company and our jobs. We can't just roll over every time the cabin crew mutter that they don't like something.
snow conditions
pandora, good luck with it. And hopefully this winter's revenue on the ski routes will indicate to BA's management that they need to be more competitive with other carriers if they want a slice of the ski market.
ski holidays
pandora, I must admit I have a little chuckle when I think of the expressions that might be on cabin crew faces when non-cabin crew turn up for duty Laughing I know one of my work colleagues has two BA pilot sons who have been 'converted' should the need arise.
snow report
This is why I always drive wink

Deliberate trolling attempt - just in case anyone is about to fly off the handle Laughing

EDIT - oops shouldn't have said FLY of the handle Laughing
snow conditions
The turkeys vote for Christmas.
snow report
Boris wrote:
This is why I always drive wink

hear hear Wink

when I become prime minister, I will make all unions/strikers legally liable for all consequential costs incurred by the innocent 3rd parties (eg BA, Royal Mail, etc. customers would be entitled to full compensation funded by the unions and the strikers pay packets)
snow conditions
BA had a good reputation and can have one again. I still want to use BA skiing or otherwise. But like several others whereas last season I used BA all the time, I've looked and used other carriers more this season. A strike makes it easier for me to look beyond BA. The company is on the edge. So pandora I'm with you and your colleagues!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Utterly selfish F**** is all I have to say about them. Maybe in an economic boom there might be some sympathies for employees being treated reasonably (in terms of the market!!!!) if not quite as well as before, but not now when 10s of 1000s have been made redundant and these selfish idiots mess up people's travel plans.

I have flights booked with BA in April and now wondering what I should do. There's no way I can wait until they announce the strike (7 days before) as Cathay's Friday night flights back to London book up much further in advance than that - and I can't afford last minute flight costs.

I'm very glad BA have said they're going to take away all strikers travel perks.
snow report
Lets look forward a bit.
The strike goes ahead, and (despite the drivers being re trained as waiters) British Airways goes the same way as British Steel and British Leyland.
What next?
Branson picks off the best bits EZ and Ryan get the profitable bits they want and there is one airline less.

Does anyone seriously miss British Leyland theses days?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I wonder if, with a General Election looming, the union is banking on the government not permitting BA to go bust.
snow report
achilles, Realistically with the election on May 5th (?) BA will not go 'bust' until a while afterwards and then Cameron can blame the union and further prove his Conservative credentials and ensure the market prevails.

The general public will feel little sympathy for the staff when the inflated salaries and allowances become public again, what was it £80k a year for a waitress because she did lots of long haul and received stopover allowances and £200k plus for Senior pilots in the same situation.
When compared to Easy Jet cabin crew who don't even get paid if their flight is cancelled, I think I know which airline will succeed.
snow conditions
Just a quickie so to speak Laughing

If (and I really, really hope not) they strike and you cant fly what happens with insurance will they refund only price of flight initially purchased or the cost to repalce a flight?
If my flight return flight (£98 ) with BA was cancelled it would cost me approx £305 for similar date, times and destination with Easyjet Shocked
snow report
Linds, yip, you will be reimbursed what you paid. Insuance ?
snow conditions
pandora, it will be interesting to see how well BA deal with the delays and disruption wink
snow report
pandora, it is interesting to see the other BA staff pulling together with a view to stepping in for potentially absent cabin crew staff. Good luck to you.

If it means my flight doesn't get cancelled I won't mind in the slightest if the service quality is reduced or slower because its being covered by other staff. I'll be more than grateful if it means I get to the slopes as scheduled. Be quite amusing having my re-heated foil wrapped slop served up by a pilot Smile

That said I think I read there are some 12,000 cabin crew, whilst BA have signed up in the region of some 3500 staff for coverage. I assume as these have other day jobs in BA they can't work full time, so I further assume if said strike does go ahead there will still be a significant number of cancellations.

One of the problems is I'm not sure how much notice BA can/will give for which flights are going to be cancelled, so it leave people in a quandris about whether to re-book. Do you have any idea how this normally works or am I likely to be waiting till the day before to find out if my flight is one of the cancelled ones ?

Are they more likely to cull the short or long haul flights, or is it anyones guess ?
snow report
Quote:

my re-heated foil wrapped slop served up by a pilot

Who presumably is only available becuase the fight he was supposed to be flying was cacelled?????
Or have BA lots and lots of spare piloyts??
snow report
pandora, Hope you dont end up having to come out of your cockpit Smile
I would be more than happy to take a large coffee/drink on the aircraft with me for just a short haul flight. I bet most folks wouldnt be bothered about no trolley on the short haul service as long as the flights are safe and get us to our destination.
ski holidays
Linds wrote:
Just a quickie so to speak Laughing

If (and I really, really hope not) they strike and you cant fly what happens with insurance will they refund only price of flight initially purchased or the cost to repalce a flight?
If my flight return flight (£98 ) with BA was cancelled it would cost me approx £305 for similar date, times and destination with Easyjet Shocked

Linds,

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/strike-ballot/public/en_gb?refevent=home_urgent_centre

So if the strike goes ahead BA will allow you to rebook for any other available date in the next 355 days.

If the strike goes ahead and your flight definately gets cancelled you can get a refund, but yes only for the price you paid.

Insurance wise it's murky and depends on your policy wording. Some exclude strike action so you'd get nothing.
Others might cover you for making alternative travel arrangements to get to your destination if your flight gets cancelled or might cover you for cancellation or abandonment.
Most will not cover if the conditions were reasonably known about at the time you made your booking or took out your policy (which might screw up people on annual insruance polcies who's policies have just, or are imminently, coming up for annual renewal.
snow report
Gazzza, I thought that would be the case rolling eyes
Unfortunatly that would mean a £200+ extra on the holiday cost but if it were to happen at least I booked flight/hotel etc last May so I dont think BA cabin crew were thinking about it then Laughing
Time will tell, not a lot I can do about it now just wait and see rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy