Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When did tour operators start charging extra for the transfer to the resort ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
richmond, I think Ryanair got hit for advertising flight prices only - with no mention of taxes, booking fees, credit card charges and whatever else they hit you with. Not sure insurance was involved ? The implication of the ads being the fares were the total cost when in fact they were often only a fraction of it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a slight difference. You can go on the package holiday, but arrange your own transfer, whereas if you don't pay the taxes then you don't fly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise, I'm afraid you are wrong. Package is defined in the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 as
"package" means the pre-arranged combination of at least two of the following components when sold or offered for sale at an inclusive price and when the service covers a period of more than twenty-four hours or includes overnight accommodation:—
(a) transport;
(b) accommodation;
(c) other tourist services not ancillary to transport or accommodation and accounting for a significant proportion of the package,
and
(i) the submission of separate accounts for different components shall not cause the arrangements to be other than a package;
(ii) the fact that a combination is arranged at the request of the consumer and in accordance with his specific instructions (whether modified or not) shall not of itself cause it to be treated as other than pre-arranged;

Latchigo, Perhaps you should contact the Trading Standards Department who are 'Home Authority' for Neilsons. I believe it is Brighton and Hove Council on 01273 292522.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian, yes, you're quite right; I meant to write taxes, not insurance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, indeed, but it's not that different. The question (I think) is 'Would the reasonable person consider the brochure misleading?'. I know what my answer to that would be (I haven't seen the brochure, but I don't want my mind to clouded by facts, obviously).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
John Scott wrote:

(i) the submission of separate accounts for different components shall not cause the arrangements to be other than a package;
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise, that doesn't seem to address the question of whether or not the brochure amounts to misleading advertising.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most tour operators are fully aware of all the regulations and abide by them. They have VERY punitive systems in place via ABTA and ATOL. I mostly book direct. That is my choice. If you want the service you pay for it. As I said before it is probably the travel agent that is ripping out the transfers. Find me a tour op that does not offer transfers in their brochure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michael B, Nielsons, according to Latchigo. Their website prices appear to include transfers (unless they're being really misleading)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I should clarify my original post and say that the price quoted was from the internet.

A company called 'ski deals' knocks out holidays for various companies. http://www.skideals.com

I have not seen Neilsons brochure, but I assumed the extras were Neilson's idea rather than skideals. The text seems to indicate this is the case.

Here is the small print extras :-

Prices are usually basic prices. These are subject to additional charges:
Ticket on departure charge - £0-£13
Security/Aviation fee - £0-£9
Fuel supplement - £0-£12
Credit Card fee of 1.99%
Booking fee - £0-£9
There may also be additional charges made by the tour operator for:
Accommodation under occupancy
Resort transfers (approximately £15 per person)
In-flight meals (approximately £10 per person)
Pre-bookable seats
The full costing will be confirmed at the time of booking.

Someone mentioned the lift pass scam. I had come across that before. They basically con you on exchange rates and make it look as though they are doing you a favour by saving you a walk to the ticket office.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latchigo, we nearly got conned by the lift pass scam in Banff. The kids just failed to qualify for the ski free under 12 offer, so for the multi-resort pass had to pay adult prices. As it included the ski bus, and we had a car we asked if we could do it cheaper. NO said the rep. They insisted it was the only way, however, I was not so certain, and said I would buy a pass the next day. We paid in dollars, so no exchange rate problem, and got them youth tickets for each mountain , Sunshine 5 daysout of 7 , and then when we went to Louise, 4 days from 5 . Perhaps a little less convenient, but it paid for a few good meals. They tried the same on the ski hire, and slated the shop we'd booked with, saying they gave out dangerous and sub-standard equipment. It was actually the shop the hotel had recommended while we were waiting for the rep to arrive. (She was late because the coach didn't arrive for 3/4hr after our car)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, in fairness to the tour op (why?), we've spent hours trying to calculate the cheapest way for us (family of 4) to get what we needed in the way of lift passes in Banff/LL; it's complicated. The best deal was a late season family pass, which lasted for a couple of months (unfortunately we were there for only a fortnight), but I believe that is now restricted to Alberta resdents (or something).

We've never used the tour op for lift tix or hire and have found better deals every time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy