Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really stupid question?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
As you may have seen from my other thread we are off to La Rosiere next weekend. We will be going over to La Thuile - do we need a passport to access Italy over the mountain?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morrissey, Thanks, I didn't think so - but just wanted to check! Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes

you also need

1) receipts for any new looking ski equipment
2) A helmet
3) To fill in a customs clearance form
4) 20 euros to give to the liftie who loads you on the way back
5) A phrasebook
6) Details of your blood group and next of kin.

or maybe not

Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or maybe just a smile and a desire to have a good time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, I think you do actually have to carry your passport with you when crossing borders whilst skiing - although it's (almost) unheard of to be checked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, I don't think you do when both countries are part of the Schengen agreement.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aren't you technically supposed to carry your passport or similar ID all the time in many European countries though? Not that I do, or have ever needed it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, yes. Years ago, when I was I living in Belgium, I was reprimanded by a policeman (who happened to be strolling about in my neighbourhood) for not carrying my identity card or passport when, on a Sunday morning, I had nipped out to post a letter in the box which was about 15 paces from my front door. rolling eyes I don't carry my passport when I'm skiing, it's just one more thing to lose, but keep a copy of the main page in my wallet. That'll have to do! Mind you, if I were crossing borders on skis, I think I would carry my passport.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes if there is a border patrol office manned by the police but there isn't one in La Rosiere/La Thuile or Zermatt/Cervina or Ischgl/Samnaun or Avoriaz/Champery or Claviere/Mongenerve.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You'll be fine, though make sure you have some form of ID and insurance (as always). Though a few things stoatsbrother, points out might be useful as well, tough i'd up the lifty charge to 400 E i reckon, i reckon they'll be fairly demanding over the next few weeks given half term and the exchange rate.

On second thoughts, you my need a compass. Easy to get lost between italy and france.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Friend of mine teaching in Zermatt regularly took clients over to Cervinia. Once her group were stopped by border police at the cable car - without their passports. She got quite a lecture and never forgot to remind her clients to take their passports after that.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You need official ID, not specifically a passport to travel between EU countries, though in practice it's rarely checked at land borders. We don't (yet Wink) have national ID cards like many do, our "ID card" is our passport.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carry a phot ID, i.e. your driving license
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee wrote:
...Zermatt/Cervina, Ischgl/Samnaun....

Switzerland (but not Liechtenstein) is also part of the Schengen area too now, so no controls. Handy if you get stuck on the wrong side of the border on a PdS loop and need a taxi! (nearly managed that once).

BUT they are still allowed to stop you if they have some reason of suspicion. So if you're doing a dodgy tax run at Ischgl then be prepared to be apprehended.

Not sure about actually carrying passports. I don't. Only time I need mine is entering/exiting UK or at hotel check-in. Can go from Portugal to Estonia through every country in between and leave your passport at home, but go to Calais port and you have to prove you have a right to re-enter your own native country rolling eyes
latest report
andy, yes that's true, as the UK hasn't entered the Schengen area agreement.

I recently moved near the French border in Switzerland, and it took a leap of faith to not bother carrying my passport around for when I cross the border, but I don't any more. However as others have said, it is worthwhile carrying some form of official id around in case I'm ever stopped to make sure I'm not smuggling more than 500g per person of meat I'm allowed across the border (or any other tax avoidance of course!).
latest report
Skiing and borders is irrelevant. Most EU countries (& Switzerland) require you to carry some form of photo ID at all times. Similarly you need to carry documents in your car proving ownership & insurance. You are very unlikely to be asked to show them, but in the case of an accident it could be very helpful and at the very least save a lot of time & hassle. I now always carry my passport skiing (but not under my helmet!).
snow report
You should carry your passport (or ID card if you are a foreigner) with you at all times. A photo driving licence is not sufficient as it is not an ID card, merely photographic evidence of your permission to drive a motor car.
snow report
James the Last, I agree that it is not an ID card but a photo driving licence actually provides photographic evidence of your name, address and date and country of birth. Pretty much all a passport does really.
snow conditions
Tiger2, that's what I do too. Passports get a bit soggy.
latest report
saikee wrote:
Yes if there is a border patrol office manned by the police but there isn't one in La Rosiere/La Thuile or Zermatt/Cervina or Ischgl/Samnaun or Avoriaz/Champery or Claviere/Mongenerve.....

The Samnaun/Ischgl border IS patrolled (but not every day). I was stopped there and fined €100 for being over the limit on cigarettes in my backpack. (It's a long story, involving disappearing teenagers, and I don't even smoke).

I was asked to produce my passport which fortunately I had with me.
snow report
If all the above is true, why did my friend get hassle in the Cervinia / Zermatt cable car? Have the rules changed? This was about 8 / 9 years ago.
snow report
Switzerland land borders opened in December 2008 iirc, with airport borders in March 2009. Since Switzerland is neither EU nor EEA they have an "exemption" which allows them to stop anyone for customs/tax purposes.

Pretty much every single mainland EU country is Schengen though, so no Border control and no Customs checks. Except when they suspend Schengen specially for George Bush to visit, etc.
ski holidays
Also, make sure any bananas in your pack up are of the requisite curvature
ski holidays
If you're going to La Thuile it is MANDATORY that you have lunch at Le Rascard (best pizza and pasta for miles) wink
snow conditions
WiRED wrote:
If you're going to La Thuile it is MANDATORY that you have lunch at Le Rascard (best pizza and pasta for miles) wink

Agreed. Yummmmmmmm
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
If all the above is true, why did my friend get hassle in the Cervinia / Zermatt cable car? Have the rules changed? This was about 8 / 9 years ago.

No sight of any border controls in Zermatt/Cervinia last week.

Did see Italian Polizei skiing on the slopes, how cool a job is that? Cool
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
You should carry your passport (or ID card if you are a foreigner) with you at all times. A photo driving licence is not sufficient as it is not an ID card, merely photographic evidence of your permission to drive a motor car.

Although I had my passport in my bag just in case, when in the Channel Islands 2 years ago, I found I was permitted to take inter-island flights on just my driving licence photocard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Tiger2, stoatsbrother, Butterfly, I don't have a photocard driving licence. Toofy Grin I'm fairly sure that, for most purposes ie intra-nationally as well as internationally, it's a proper ID card or a passport that the letter of the law requires. At least that's what the strolling Belgian policeman told me. That said, I still don't propose to carry more than a photocopy of my passport while I'm skiing, unless the intention is to cross a border.
latest report
Quote:

I don't have a photocard driving licence.

neither do I...
snow report
The passport thing was our classic wind up for newbies when we were students - that and telling them their skis were on the wrong feet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks for all the replies and the lunch recommendation Very Happy
snow report
Lucylou wrote:
The passport thing was our classic wind up for newbies when we were students - that and telling them their skis were on the wrong feet Toofy Grin

Yes, somebody was trying to wind us up that way talking about the Steinplatte area in Austria earlier this year.

If you take the long run down to the base of the gondola on the Reit-am-Winkel side, you do actually cross into Germany, and they were trying to tell us we would need a passport before they would allow us on the gondola if we did that Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy