Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers abilities %'s

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

frank4short, ignore the numerical and analytical philistines who have polluted your otherwise excellent thread.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with your %ages, but I like the idea. In fact, you could extend it by applying some confidence intervals e.g. "From the observations taken on [insert name of favourite black run] between [Time1] and [Time2] we can be 95% confident that the proportion of skiers who can tackle a black run with good style is between 25% and 35%".

We could also use a variant of monetary unit sampling to weight the results by the value of ski kit worn, or the weight of the skier. I think you've merely scratched the surface of the analytical possibilities here!

Laughing Laughing Laughing !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PinoP, rolling eyes Yep it's so sad.

Mate - you posted a statement full of errors, adding nothing to the thread except your snide superiority to the people who post here.

or perhaps would you actually like to say something about the topic ?

whatever. who cares
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PinoP wrote:
Then the whole thing descends into a chat site.

Was it something else before it "descended" into a chat site Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well i have fun skiing and i dont care if i look like a plonker...the jazz hands dont come out too much anymore as i dont panic anymore ...i miss them Crying or Very sad well i have fun safely which i think everyone else seems to of forgotten atleast for me skiing is about fun not how impressive i can be.....even though i may try my hand at the snowdome sickbag night now that looks like fun .....throwing yourself off a big jump onto an airbag on ski's yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PinoP,
Quote:

Oh no, this is why people laugh at sites like this.
On the one hand people can't dress themselves for the mountains without an endorsement from internet dweebs, with regard to what helmet, gloves, googles or whatever they should have.

That says more about them than about this site.

[quote[The other side is that subjects get done to death and so people with anything decent to say get bored and do something useful with their time rather than post here. Then the whole thing descends into a chat site.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that

Quote:
I can see why most of the top 10 posters have gone.

The good stoatsbrother, has filled that one full of lead too Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PinoP,
Quote:

And what sort of t***t

And there are only four letters in t**t Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just calculated that I am in the top 1% of modest skiers.

45% claim some sort of level based on numbering

25% say to have done black runs and better.

8% claim to be intermediate

6% tell us they have won races

5% name the runs they have been on

4% claim they can tell if one run is better than another

2.5% tell us they ski off piste

1.75% claim they ski off piste better than other people

1.25% go on about being happy with the way they ski, whatever

Which leaves a select group.

(Numbers are estimatd from available data and are subject to verification by governing bodies in readers' own jusrisdiction, your mileage may vary, not valid within the states of California and Maryland, Alabhama residents add 5% sales tax, void where prohibited by law).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PinoP wrote:
Oh no, this is why people laugh at sites like this.
On the one hand people can't dress themselves for the mountains without an endorsement from internet dweebs, with regard to what helmet, gloves, googles or whatever they should have. The other side is that subjects get done to death and so people with anything decent to say get bored and do something useful with their time rather than post here. Then the whole thing descends into a chat site.
I can see why most of the top 10 posters have gone.

You make me feel like dancin', wanna dance the night away...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't understand the vicious negativity from some people here to frank4short's original post. Certainly his percentages were overestimates but he never seemed to be attacking anybody or coming across as superior. I would guess the marketeers from the major resorts and ski manufacturers would have an incentive to collect such data. It makes a change from the "unless you wear a helmet you are a moron" and "will there be snow in resort X next month" type threads which range from offensive to idiotic in the main.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
Is there a point to this other than to make frank4short feel superior? After all, made-up statistics don't really mean anything.

Very true, they do say 72.8793% of all statistics are made up.............. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plake, It related to some comments i made in another thread. If truth be told the initial posts were quite arrogant but i did persist with it trolling just to see what would come out in the wash. However in saying that this thread was meant to be a serious one but apparently that doesn't matter.

As to my %'s being excessively high. Possibly a little but I don't really they're way out like some have indicated. Most people here I suspect are comparing them to the average they see on the piste. However they're forgetting the fact that most places you go there are large very able local populations that are only at best able to get out sporadically.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plake wrote:
Can't understand the vicious negativity from some people here to frank4short's original post. Certainly his percentages were overestimates but he never seemed to be attacking anybody or coming across as superior.

I'm not negative, just extracting the urine a little. Similar thing happened on Epicski a few years back when one guy said he was better than 97% of the skiers - he didn't meet his claims though. If you are British and ski the sort of terrain Frank4short posted you don't need to boast or be arrogant about it. Phil Ingle isn't and he gets a lot of respect on the forums. Respect if F4S really can ski 50+deg offpiste - most I've done is around 47 deg. Arrogance while still being likeable is a difficult thing to pull off and only very few sports people have achieved it (e.g. Ali). As long as you're having fun who gives a monkeys how good you are? Frank will probably always be Mr 99% now maybe he should change his login to Frank99%. Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my experience most people who say they are an expert at something have generally over estimated their ability and whilst they are quite good they are not quite as good as they think, and those that play down their ability tend to be sh:t hot Very Happy The best 'experts' are those that others call experts, not those that call themselves experts wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Very, true. I am brilliant! No, I seriously mean it!! Those that think I am an average level skier are just plain wrong! I have seen good skiers and I am every bit as good as the OP!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops,
Quote:

those that play down their ability tend to be sh:t hot
I have been told that I play down my ability sometimes. I only wish that this meant I was sh:t hot. Sad Sad
snow report
Eeek! Shocked I always say I am a bit rubbish (because I am) but now everyone will expect great things. rayscoops, please take that back!
snow report
Hurtle, maggi, I am talking about those who are obviously very good skiers who play up their ability rather than play down it, but the same goes for recreational skiers who say something like 'I am ok but not too good' and then are quite happy to ski everything a resort can throw at them Very Happy We have all been on a ski holiday with some one new who has talked a good game but when you get out on the slopes with them it is abvious they have over egged the custard Blush

I am a good intermediate and always will be Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops,
Quote:

then are quite happy to ski everything a resort can throw at them
In my case, that would depend on what you meant by "ski".
snow report
frank4short wrote:
Possibly a little but I don't really they're way out like some have indicated. Most people here I suspect are comparing them to the average they see on the piste. However they're forgetting the fact that most places you go there are large very able local populations that are only at best able to get out sporadically.

Hmm. You're forgetting that most places you go in the UK there are large very incapable local populations that are only at best able to get out for a week, one year in five. Those years they do get out, they spend the time drinking hot chocolate/vin chaud/in a bar/in bed, hungover.

I think a very telling statistic comes from the number of skiers on the slopes when there's a powder day when it's still snowing. 60-70% down on a nice sunny day.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
In my experience most people who say they are an expert at something have generally over estimated their ability

someone said the same thing to me yesterday about confidence... with people who have more expertise generally displaying less confidence in a situation because they understand the problem better.

It had a particular resonance for me because I'm currently working on a complex IT project. I have about 25 yrs professional experience. Honestly the project had already been ballsed up by the time I became involved by a bunch of testosterone charged newbies. I gave my opinion - it was a complex project, with lots of dependencies and would take 12-18 months to complete. I was shouted down by the "consultants" who said I was talking nonsense, was a washed up old timer who didn't have the right attitude, they were 100% confident to deliver in 3-4 months. The client prefered this story. I'm now completing my 12th month on the project and the current delivery date is in 3 months time.

Of course the client is bitching to me all the time about the delays but as I told them last week "you are like a guy who visits a whore and complains about getting the clap, take some responsibility for your own choices".

Erm this isn't a critique of Frank at all, I take what he says here at face value and respect his skiing abilities.
snow conditions
Heard a story about an American guy who chatted up a girl at Apres ski. He played up his talents and said he was mustard on the piste (probably top 1% or better). They made a date to go skiing the next day and she turned up in her official issue American ski team jacket.
snow conditions
davidof,
Quote:

people who have more expertise generally displaying less confidence in a situation because they understand the problem better.
Also - and this is something of which I became progressively (and a bit debilitatingly) more conscious in my own professional life - the more you get to learn, the more you realise that there is a whole lot of stuff out there that you haven't yet learned.

DB, brilliant!
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Also - and this is something of which I became progressively (and a bit debilitatingly) more conscious in my own professional life - the more you get to learn, the more you realise that there is a whole lot of stuff out there that you haven't yet learned.

Exactly. The better I get at skiing the worse I know I am.
snow report
Hurtle, but with time one learns to fake it a bit wink
snow report
davidof wrote:

Of course the client is bitching to me all the time about the delays but as I told them last week "you are like a guy who visits a whore and complains about getting the clap, take some responsibility for your own choices".

erm, yes, must remember that one for my next client meeting, no doubt it will help smoothe things over a treat Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Hurtle, but with time one learns to fake it a bit wink
I prefer not to fake. It went one of two ways: 1) I don't know the answer to that, but I shall find out and come back to you asap; or 2) sorry, I goofed, but that's why I have professional indemnity insurance. 2) was a bit more difficult sometimes, on account of the dangers of admitting liability. Not sure that it's ever a good idea to fake, either in my profession or yours.

That probably comes over more po-faced than I intend. Bottom line is that I'm hopeless at lying. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Bottom line is that I'm hopeless at lying. Toofy Grin

Well, you know what they say, "Practice makes perfect!" Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

Exactly. The better I get at skiing the worse I know I am.

All too true!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman wrote:
davidof wrote:

erm, yes, must remember that one for my next client meeting, no doubt it will help smoothe things over a treatjavascript:emoticon('Confused') Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing

Well maybe not for the client meetings Confused try something like this: Timeo Consultus et dona ferentes

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 18-02-10 20:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
halfhand wrote:
PinoP,
Quote:

And what sort of t***t

And there are only four letters in t**t Laughing

I assume he meant twunt (oops Embarassed )
latest report
Axsman & davidof, it's all about context. If said client visits an reputable house of ill repute (as it were) that charges top $ then he would be quite within his rights to complain about coming away with a dose. If he picked up a scag-ridden old hag from a street corner then it's very much caveat emptor. Slightly off-topic I know but still worth mentioning, probably.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
a scag-ridden old hag from a street corner .

You've used the services of my company before then? Laughing
snow report
First served...first come wink
ski holidays
I think I've said this before - being accurate or frank about your abilities is for some strange reason unacceptable to the British - false modesty and understatement are de rigeur, anything else is automatically boasting and in need of taking down a peg or two. IME this isn't the case with most other peoples.
ski holidays
slikedges, For the record I'm Irish Laughing
ski holidays
slikedges,
Quote:

super-snowHead
Location: foothills of HemelI think I've said this before - being accurate or frank about your abilities is for some strange reason unacceptable to the British - false modesty and understatement are de rigeur, anything else is automatically boasting and in need of taking down a peg or two. IME this isn't the case with most other peoples.

The thing is 90% of Brits overstate their skiing ability through sheer ignorance of what actual skiing ability is.
ski holidays
davidof, Quite right. A consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time, then keeps your watch. I wouldn't trust them whatever they were bearing Laughing

Dr John, Good point, well made. But more importantly how much personal research did you undertake to arrive at this conclusion? Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
frank4short, so you've intimated before, but which nevertheless is why you're in so much cow do right now Laughing

clarky999, I think that's a myth, though I admit most skiers I know are either enthusiasts, instructors, coaches etc so maybe you are right Confused
ski holidays
Axsman, extensive, but only as far as the analogy as applied to consultants, honest.
ski holidays
what is windslab. sounds like my mums cooking
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy