Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers abilities %'s

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from some abuse i've received on another thread based on some statements i've made. I had it in mind to start another thread for discussion based upon ability levels from the elite to the masses. So here's my take on it, from my perspective as an off piste/ski mountaineering/freeride skier -

100% of skiers can put a pair of skis on & fall over
95% of skiers can get down the average green slope in any style
90% of skiers can get down the average blue slope in any style
75-80% of skiers can get down the average red slope in any style
75% of skiers can can get down the average blue slope in good style, perfect parallel skiing able to deal with & get around any difficulties they encounter
65-70% of skiers can get down the average black in any style
65% of skiers can can get down the average red in good style, perfect parallel skiing, able to deal with & get around any difficulties they encounter
50-60% of skiers can carve perfectly on reds & blues
50% of skiers can get down the average black in good style, etc., etc.
50% of skiers can can hack up off piste skiing to the steepness of the average red specifically powder or crud whilst periodically falling over & generally getting down but not having any style whilst doing so.
30-35% of skiers can ski in perfect powder up to the steepness of the average red without grace but getting down without falling over
25% of skiers can can ski powder, crud & windslab of the steepness of the average red at speed in perfect control without usually falling over.
20% of skiers can ski steeper (35-40 degree) off piste slopes without a lot of grace falling over occasionally
10-15% of skiers can ski steeper (35-40 degree) off piste slopes with good style & grace
10% of skiers can ski 45 degree slopes in perfect conditions without a lot of grace & falling over occasionally
5-7% of skiers can can ski 45 degree slopes with sustained constrictions eg. couloirs in perfect conditions
5% of skiers can ski 45 degree slopes in good style in most conditions
3% of skiers can ski 45 degree slopes with sustained constrictions in good style in most conditions
2% of skiers can ski slopes with prolonged sections of between 45 & 50 degrees in good conditions (just to note from around this point onwards conditions are assumed to be good as it's virtually impossible to ski in poor conditions if conditions aren't good).
1% of skiers can ski slopes with relatively short sections 50-100m of between 50 and 52/53 degrees (Once above about 50 degrees every degree of steepness makes a massive. Ignore the 5 degree jumps you here about in reports the difference between 50 & 55 degrees is enormous)
0.5% of skiers can can ski slopes that are sustained at 50-52 degrees, with very short periods, less than 30m of up to about 55 degrees
0.1% of skiers can ski slopes sustained at 55 degrees
0.05% of skiers can ski slopes sustained at 55 degrees that require extreme precision skiing & extensive mountaineering experience (think the Mallory Porter directly under the lift on the aiguille du midi)
0.01% of skiers can ski stuff harder than this

To put all of this into context in resort terms & i'm making a few assumptions here. An average resort say Tignes in high season will have say 15,000 skiers on the mountain in any given day. So -

50% - 7,500 people
10% - 1,500 people
5% - 750 people
1% - 150 people

Anyway you get the gist. These are just my thoughts based upon my time on the hills i'm open to others suggestions or interpretations of what they think this should be.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting categorisation - and very much tilted towards the kind of skiing you (and I - though nowhere near your standard) like to do. Where does running gates/moguls/trees fit in?

But for the most part that is a holding-your-finger-in-the-air-and-think-of-a-number jobbie - isn't it?

And I bet you that way fewer than 25% of skiers can ski windslab on red steepness in perfect contrrol without falling over.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
99% of skiers couldn't give a XXXX NehNeh
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother, I did say that my percentages are based upon my own experience/gut feeling & weighted in the direction/area of skiing i like to ski. Running gates is an area that i've never practised or had any experience of so amn't in a position to comment on, same a applies for pure freestyle. However i don't believe skiing moguls or trees make a massive difference to what i've stated. Say drop about 5-10% off of the figures for a given condition as i've quoted them. Oh & yes you're probably right about the windslab thing but i think in terms of possible skiing conditions windslab is an anomaly as it's pretty much the hardest condition of skiing to ski in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few people on the disabled forum might disagree.

For that matter, it's taken a couple of years for my stepson to learn to put his skis on and yet he seems unable to fall over.

Stoatsbrother

stick some gates on it and I'll have a go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Like the logic
Numbers a bit skewed - 70% can get down black slopes is nowhere near right - i would say (based on 15 years of group skiing , big chalets, friends who are saisonaires etc etc ) that probably only 25 to 33% can ski down blacks.

i Play golf off a 10 handicap - that apparently puts me in the top 10% of golfers. Which means the average golfer is a pretty "average" standard = i think the same is the case with skiers.

If you make Mean=Median (big assumption) then your veiw is taht teh average skier can carve perfectly ????? and ski down blacks. Teh average skier really skids on blues and reds

Still - i like the logic
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there a point to this other than to make frank4short feel superior? After all, made-up statistics don't really mean anything.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frank4short, I think your percentages are overestimates, by and large.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, No not at all. Think of it as like a cloud computing exercise. You put an idea out there & then come up with an answer upon the consensus that comes back. I am open to & interested in the ideas that people come back with as it gives a good idea what people think of it. Whereas you as far as i can tell tend to put down anything that falls outside of your red & blue sun shining perfect ski ideal whether that be steep off piste or equipment that's at the more expensive end of the spectrum.

sev112, I'd actually say that about 70% of skiers probably could get down a black without a lot/any style. It's just that a smaller % than this chose to actually bother as most that are on the threshold have more sense than to bother trying.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
50-60% of skiers can carve perfectly on reds & blues

If this is true I guess 90% of those must just not bother actually doing it Smile

Either that or they're busy doing 5.4s

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 15-02-10 23:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Indeed Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frank4short, I don't 'put it down', I simply state that these things aren't for me. I know my limitations. Each to their own. In fairness I don't even understand a lot of your terminology, which is why it feels a little like you are out to impress, but of course that might be average coffee break banter for you! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
thirded (or whatever the number is by now.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
0.000000001% of Snowheads start boring threads that don't mean crap.

2% of Snowheads are only here because the SkiBeat thread ground to an inevitable halt.

0.000000000000001% of Snowheads are here because his wife is back from training and is watching the Raymond Blanc chocolate thing off sky+
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You seem to assume people perfect their on-piste skills then move off-piste. Skiing off-piste a slope the average steepness of a red in perfect powder is much easier than skiing a black in perfect control in bad conditions. And proper carving on a red isn't that easy either. I can carve parts of turns on a red but not pure carved arc to arc turns but could definately ski a perfect powder filled red with grace and style, I've also skied down plenty of slopes with crud, windslab and even breakable crust. The largest picture on this page http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/ is part of a blue run at Glencoe, about a month ago you skied through the gully which ended in an uphill slope then totally dropped off to about a 45 degree slope for about 2m, I was quite pleased when I managed to get down that blue Twisted Evil what percentage does this all put me in, my maths doesn't seem to be quite up to the task.
snow report
Tosh and ego-w@nk.
snow report
Quote:

0.000000001% of Snowheads start interesting threads that mean crap.

Corrected for you
ski holidays
frank4short, did you mean windcrust or breakable crust ? Windcrust is a hard layer caused by wind and often not well bonded to layers below, so implicated in a large proportion of fatal avalanches. Windcrust is not necessarily, or even usually, breakable by the skier. Breakable crust can also be formed by the sun and is usually used to mean a crust which sometimes supports the skier and sometimes does not, depending on the force exerted (though I've noticed some people also use it to refer to a thin crust the skier breaks through all the time).
latest report
snowball, No definitely windcrust the type comes with satstrugi dips & troughs & all the loveliness that they bring to skiing off piste.

If you look here http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/graphs.html there are a series of graphs based on climbs users have added to their logbooks. What the statistics show is that the % of users that climb above E4 is less than 1%. Now in the climbing world, E4 whilst being really good is a very long way from being anything near the ultimate. If you take that UKclimbing.com is the worlds most popular/heavily used climbing website, it to my mind gives a good indication that at the higher end of the ability spectrum, & i believe this to be the case with pretty much all pursuits, that there are a lot less people at that level than is commonly believed.
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Tosh and ego-w@nk.
is that some kind of half pipe trick?
latest report
it is threads like this that makes me glad I am a boarder Laughing
snow report
andyph wrote:
Tosh and ego-w@nk.

very difficult to argue against that Toofy Grin

But on the other hand - how can you progress technically if you do not compare yourself to other skiers or try and copy some of their style?
snow conditions
Attributing percentages to this is, well, I guess it's like counting how many times you fall over really. Who gives a toss if you're having fun?

My question to you: what percentage of skiers cloud the simple joys of being in the mountains, be it snowploughing down a nursery slope, destroying some pillows or simply or simply having a beer on the terrace and getting burned on the terrace by being concerned about what % they are?

Either way, I'm now glad I've got an S1- I'll look forward to taking time out of my next great powder pitch to check what slope I'm sustaining. I'll start a thread to let y'all know.

I like this place by the way guys, y'all are pretty entertaining. Some in different ways to others.
snow conditions
davelebus, I like your thinking.

Everyone else having a pop at poor old Frank - just what the hell type of threads do you expect on here after 6 years? It is a ski forum after all, adn we have really, really done the vast majority.

Now, there's a new question: just how many snow related topics are there to argue about? helmets/saftey, tyres, travel, weather, TOs, resorts, kids, and, yup, relative ability... is there anything else? Celebs maybe?

Just a thought - can we see from the Mods the % makeup of threads by subject area, so we can make sure we aren't missing any vital areas of disagreement?

PS I don't think it sounded like one of the "I'm better than you so bleah" threads I've complained about elsewhere... sure it's been done, it's kinda dull, it's nothing that hasn't been seen here before ( albeit I will concede it is a diffferent slant on an age-old snowHead question how do you rank skiers? And again, I personally, would counter with " why do you rank skiers?") but overall, I don't think frank should get a hard time for it.

Meanwhile... back to TO bashing...

EDIT: On the other hand, just seen other topics around - some of Frank's other posts do tend to the "aren't I better than you" end of the spectrum... naughty naughty
snow conditions
wow.... I think I am ranked off the scale at 0.001% and I suspect there could be a couple others on here too that fit the % too

0.001% of skiers that can enjoy happy hour beers followed by a bucket of chalet wine then talk rubbish into the small hours and stagger onto the first lift and then remember how to turn. Laughing
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:
You seem to assume people perfect their on-piste skills then move off-piste. Skiing off-piste a slope the average steepness of a red in perfect powder is much easier than skiing a black in perfect control in bad conditions. And proper carving on a red isn't that easy either. I can carve parts of turns on a red but not pure carved arc to arc turns but could definately ski a perfect powder filled red with grace and style, I've also skied down plenty of slopes with crud, windslab and even breakable crust. The largest picture on this page http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/ is part of a blue run at Glencoe, about a month ago you skied through the gully which ended in an uphill slope then totally dropped off to about a 45 degree slope for about 2m, I was quite pleased when I managed to get down that blue Twisted Evil what percentage does this all put me in, my maths doesn't seem to be quite up to the task.

You're in the 1%, though not the "top" 1%. You're just the 1% exception to "Frank's rule" Wink

(btw, I think you're right on. This whole business of numeric "excellance" is totally meaningless)
ski holidays
Problem with the upper end of this system of ability levels is that 98.3% of skiers don't carry a protractor, 97.4% of those who do keep stabbing themselves with the accompanying compass and the 1.081% who knew it was an inclinometer they really wanted couldn't give a cr@p.
snow report
On any given day in Tignes, with say 15,000 skiers on it, NO WAY are there 149 other people who can ski as well as me. I post on an internet forum. OK?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So based on this, you are in top 150 skiers. I'm impressed, even though classification is "a bit" weird, but still... pronouncing yourself as top 150 skiers is pretty cool thing... especially for someone who "had the luxury of learning to ski doing a season in Cham"... a whole one season. What would it be, if you would be skiing for 2 season... we could all pack our gear and burn it. rolling eyes
snow report
primoz, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
slikedges, Sounds like you need an iPhone with a couple of simple apps Laughing
andyph, seconded
rayscoops, This just the reason I'm learning Twisted Evil
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:
Think of it as like a cloud computing exercise.

I think you mean Crowd Sourcing.

62.5% of skiers overestimate slope steepness by between 5.2 and 10.7%
ski holidays
What foolish nonsense. Next it will be a thread "mine is bigger than yours". Who gives a poo-poo!
snow conditions
Wow it changed my comment to poo poo! I promise I did not say that I SAID SHIIII!
ski holidays
davidof, they don't if they have a school maths kit with them. Oh, hang on...

frank4short, by your calculations, how many people on the mountain at any one time will be carrying off-piste avalanche kit?
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:

You haven't been to the Mooserwirt (St Anton) at chucking out time have you?
latest report
Roy Hockley,
Quote:

What foolish nonsense. Next it will be a thread "mine is bigger than yours". Who gives a poo-poo!

But my poo-poo is bigger than yours wink
snow report
Gadge, My god, what did YOU eat!! wink
ski holidays
DB wrote:
frank4short wrote:

You haven't been to the Mooserwirt (St Anton) at chucking out time have you?

You are not drunk as long as you can lie on the snow without holding on to anything.
latest report
Roy Hockley,
Quote:

Gadge, My god, what did YOU eat!!

I'm in the top 1% of eaters!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy