Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads Scotland get togethers (proposal)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

Seems like a lot of us are going to the various Scottish sites all the time just now. And some like imull and me are going for a day "on their Todd".

Some threads are getting a buit old including one that I started so I thought I'd start a new one for folk to meet up and say hello.

The meetups could include a ski together or simply a burger/hallo at lunchtime etc etc etc.

A good subject would be eg

Scotland, Feb, Glencoe/Nevis (since they are close) [I'll start this one]
Then
Scotland, Mar, Glencoe/Nevis

Scotland, Feb, Glenshee

Scotland, Feb, Cairngorm/Lecht (since they are close)

Write in what date your going up

Where is the best place to post them Snow reports?
Resorts?
Solo/groups of sjkiers?

THe rules are.
1) be pleasant
2) If someone drops a himty like "im off to the other slope" then done say Ohhh I'll come along. IE dont hogg someoenes freedom.
3) Erm !!! Cant think of anything else Puzzled

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sounds good.

I will be going again after a cracking day today Toofy Grin Would be nicer to ski with a few others for a bit of banter.

Rule 3 - Be honest about your ability. I perdsonally dont mind skiing with people less confidant than me, but like to know what to expect...

Sandy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Sandy/imull,

Glad you had a good day.
Did you o to Glencoe or Nevis?

cheers
Bob
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nevis in the end.

Its a lot different to skiing in the Alps. Definitely showed me the weaknesses in my technique Embarassed Will put up a bit of a report thingy on the thread in the resorts forums
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
glasgowcyclops, pretty sure snowball has organised a Scotland ski event in the past.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
3. No snowbladers ? or was that a given Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sounds like a great idea
imull - was the snow / busyness ok? i havent been at weekends, usually use some of my toil midweek for some peace, but maybe its not as bad as scare stories make out?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll be at Xscape mit Familien this Wednesday around 4.30 for a wee slide. Off to St Anton with boys at end of Feb, so doubt I could get away with a wee jaunt up north before then. Midweek up north at some could possibly suit me - a I work for myself

does sound like a good idea though and I am up for it

Otherwise an apres ski session could do wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bitoffluff wrote:
sounds like a great idea
imull - was the snow / busyness ok? i havent been at weekends, usually use some of my toil midweek for some peace, but maybe its not as bad as scare stories make out?

fuller bit of verbal diarrhoea here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61158

In short, snow from the base of Goose T-bar level upwards was fine, below was quite slusky but still skiable. Just need to be a bit wary of the skis sticking in it. There was 'considerable' avalanche risk in the back corries so I didn't venture over there as was on my own with no avalanche gear. On the runs, the snow was pretty good. bit lumpy with a few rocks sticking out but no major problems.

Wasn't too busy, though it did seem to bottleneck at the Summit button lift but again no major problems. 2 minute wait so all ok.

Next two weeks are Scottish and English half terms i believe (certainly English w/b 15th Feb). They were saying in the hire room that they expect it to be pretty busy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or if you want to do some xc come to the Clash. I'm afraid I'm off to some small resort called Val Thoren at the end of next week. Hope they have as much snow as us Wink. I may make it to Cairngorm again soon (to make use of my season ticket), but I keep finding excuses to ski locally or at the Clash.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a belly helps where gravity is involved. suspect that you would be dialling 999 pretty quick if i came cross country skiing Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
glasgowcyclops, Hopefully will get a half day in Glencoe on Monday afternoon. Is next week (W/B 7 Feb) Scottish half-term and is it likely, therefore, to be busy?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand, nope. There is not a proper week half term holiday in Scotland, it's a long weekend (number of days off varies across the country). Local schools are off Thurs 11th, Fri12th, Mon 15th, Tues 16th and Wed 17th. I think most English schools start half term at close on Friday 12th.

Thursday and Friday next week will be busier than normal but probably not excessively so, but most half termers will arrive on Saturday. The busiest days will thus be Sun 14th to Tues 16th which clashes with many Scottish Schools long weekend (don't think most areas have scored Wednesday off like Highland).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geeo,
Quote:

3. No snowbladers ? or was that a given

Best be carefull that may be taken as Homophobia Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As Winterhighland said, there's a random array of dates for half term (Spring mid-term) holidays across Scotland ... http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/01/SchoolHolidays

I'd definitely be up for a meet though (favouring Glencoe of course Very Happy ).
ski holidays
Okay I'm off to start a Gelncoe feb thread in the piste section.

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
im looking into a scotland weekend trip in march hopefully, but it will be a fairly last minute thing. Is there anyone else from manchester of surrounding area that would be interested in shairing petrol and costs etc??? i will be heading up the m6 so that will be my route. I would like to ski nevis or cairngorm. i tried to ski cairngorm 2 years ago anf got evacuated!!! not good!!! anyone interested then let me know, cheers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
weekend trip in march hopefully, but it will be a fairly last minute thing. Is there anyone else from manchester of s

Yes indeed. Would be up for a trip to wherever the freshest snow is. Or Glen Coe as it is simply amazing. What weekend are you thinking of, and what time would you leave Manc?

cheers

Alex
snow conditions
I was in Glencoe at the weekend and ther is a deal in the Crianlarich hotel for £20 B&B and a free lift to Gelncoe ski centre (25 mins).

I'm not affiliated to them in any way but they seem to be getting great reviews on tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551934-d1211903-Reviews-The_Crianlarich_Hotel-Crianlarich_Loch_Lomond_and_The_Trossachs_National_Park_Scotland.html

cheers
bob
latest report
sorry for the long wait for reply alex. It depends on how you want to do it, personally, i would prefer to finish work as early as possible on Friday, probs 4pm for me, then head straight up there. Arrive at wherever we are heading for at around 9-10pm, b&b then ski all day saturday, and until about 3pm on sunday, then drive back. Not got any date in mind yet, just wait and see for the best weekend and best conditions, and we shall head wherever the snow takes us!!! What do you recon. how old etc are you??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
glasgowcyclops wrote:
I was in Glencoe at the weekend and ther is a deal in the Crianlarich hotel for £20 B&B and a free lift to Gelncoe ski centre (25 mins).

I'm not affiliated to them in any way but they seem to be getting great reviews on tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551934-d1211903-Reviews-The_Crianlarich_Hotel-Crianlarich_Loch_Lomond_and_The_Trossachs_National_Park_Scotland.html

cheers
bob

great linl, looks brilliant aswell, "roaring fire with a big hall" sounds great after a day on the slopes!!!
snow report
I have my own boots but i would need to hire skis and poles, can you do this at Glencoe???
ski holidays
Yep Skis and poles are available
http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=65

£25 full day and £20 1/2 day.

probably better hireing since it can be a wee bit rocky. My new rossi Zenith 10's got a bit of a battering the other week. Mind you thats what they are there for. Happy

cheers
bob
snow report
Thanks glasgowcyclops, i have just emailed the hotel to ask then to put us a package together. It looks brilliant. Manchester to the hotel is 4hr 30m, i should get that down to 4 hours though so not to bad really. if you had to guess at what the snow would be like mid march what would you say??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
PS you can go from Mancheter to Glasgow central, then walk (4 minutes) and ge the train to Crianlarich.

Now her eis top tip I found on a recent trip to Arisaig from Glasgoe.

THrough ticketing.

Glasgow to Arisaig for 2 is minimum £95 but if you go from Dumbarton it is £52. Now you can also get a ticket from Glasgow to Dumbarton for £11 for 2 people.

Bizarrely, in the same ticket office (glasgow) you buy one ticket to Dumbarton then get one from Dumbarton to Arisaig and save £32. Same train but 2 tickets. Weird.

Cheers
Bob
snow report
i have just checked out the train myself but i will be working on the friday and wont finish in time for the train, and i want to ski on sunday aswell but the train leaves at like 6pm and doesnt get bk until monday AM when im back in work!!! ao i think i will be driving. i just hope there is still snow there in march, im not booking anything until the last minute though!
snow report
I have just had 8 days in soll and that wasn't enough! I am thinking of a weekend trip from London soon, probally feb 19 or feb 26 depending on the last minute weather forecast.
I have done this quite a few times before and leave on Friday pm and drive to Fort william to arrive early sat am and get some breakfast and then up to nevis range for the day. B&B in F W and then normally i go to Glencoe for the Sunday as it gives me a quicker getaway for the long drive to London. Knackering but good fun.
I will decide nearer the time but if I go might have room for one or two others en route.
snow conditions
keep me informed daveqpr, we should sort something out. u fancy a trip in march thought???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am certainly up for meeting folk when I am skiing, I do usually decide to go at fairly short notice depending on other commitments. Saturday, I didn't really finalise the idea untill Sat morning. But if there is a thread where peole post when they ae going away I will post on it when I am going if on my tod.
snow report
Hi T Bar, You mean like this one... Happy
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61389&highlight=
snow report
glasgowcyclops, Fair enough.
But I actually meant more like one which is generic to any time/ place. So the thread is open and one posts or checks it when one goes.
latest report
Anyone going to Glencoe on Sat (tomorrow)?

My Gear is

Sundown goggles (big letters on goggle strrap
Black Demon Helmet
Chocolate Brown Moah Snowboard type jacket
Black Columbia Titanium trousers
Red Lange boots
Rossignol Zenith 10's http://www.theskistop.com/perfect-ride/equipment/z10.html
Say hello
Cheers
Bob Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi chaps/chapesses sorry but I feel really guilty now. I made it to Glencoe on Monday but kept it to myself. In mitigation I didn't decide to go until Sunday evening and even then was prepared to turn away if it was crappy weather or if I felt too tired after a 5hr drive so didn't want to arrange to meet if I didn't get there. Had a very pleasant few hours on the slopes though, well worth the effort. Smile
snow conditions
glasgowcyclops, snow is fantastic up there! Check out the photos in the 'Trip Reports' sections. If you are taking the wife the plateau run is looking very good.
ski holidays
Wife still sore chest with cold etc

Going tomorrow myself. Sad

Anyone going? Happy
snow report
glasgowcyclops,
Off to Austria, Very Happy my bit is the only bit that does not seem to have much fresh. Crying or Very sad
Still have a great time in glencoe. snowHead
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops, I'll be at Glencoe tomorrow. Yellow jacket, yellow lid, black bottoms, either K2 Apache Recons (mostly off white) or Dynastar Legend 8800's (mostly very orange). Say hello if you spot me, as I won't remember all your colours. Toofy Grin
snow report
if i get out of bed I'll also be at glencoe...

Orange jacket, brown trousers and white bobble hat thingy
latest report
Plateau caffe at 1pm
eating burger and can of fanta.

ccheers
bob
snow conditions
the snow over the next week looks great uo there. 39xm forecast for the lecht!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy