Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski selection advice from seasoned skiers please.

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, spirited defence it may be - but I suspect the original poster may not be aware of just how very very early you are in your skiing career, and just why BMF_Skier skier might be loyally jumping into defend you.

Rather than getting touchy - perhaps you should accept the valid point CEM made. There is a danger useful personal experience from good skiers like FlyingStantoni, Arno, slikedges and under a new name, can get lost otherwise.

If a thread on goat maintenance or honey manufacture comes up, I promise not to post advice wink

steveburles, I did like the Nomad Crimsons - but have shed them now, but they are definitely more of an off-piste beast than a instructor-turns machine. I liked them but had "quiver overlap" Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stoatsbrother, Who's being touchy now? So it is a experienced skier only thread??? Will anyone else be permitted to water down the 'quality' of the advice of the select few? Laughing Laughing Laughing

For those that dont know, Megamum (Julia) is my girlfriend but I always leave her to defend herself. No help needed there. Toofy Grin I was just responding to heavy handed comments, I'm surprsed no one has yet asked "use the search function" wink

BTW, to clarify matters, I'm not a ski company rep, employee of Elan or Rossignol so no axe to grind other than offering some well meaning advice. Oh yes and I've been skiing since 1978, if that's any guage of whether i'm worthy enough to post my comments. Must go, skis to edge and wax... but finally....

steveburles Back to the question in hand
FlyingStantoni wrote:
steveburles, ........I'm currently on some Rossi 9X oversizes, which are 80mm underfoot and very, very fast in all respects. OK, they're not slalom ski fast edge to edge, but work very well for an all mountain ski. ......
My current ski of choice is the the same model Rossi 9X oversize 170cm, and I concur with these comments. If you want a more nimble ski you could try the 9S version? We used both the 9X and 9S in VT in Dec 2008 and they were excellent.
If Megamum decides to give up skiing and go back her goats i'd be more than happy to take on the Magfires! Laughing

TTFN
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMF_Skier, Hear hear

I was just composing a comment on stoatsbrother's rather patronising post when your post arrived so I will say no more.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

I suspect the original poster may not be aware of just how very very early you are in your skiing career,
Since a) her comments were expressly based on what she'd read, not what she'd skied and b) her implication that she wasn't an experienced skier was also very clear, the OP would have to be fairly dim to misunderstand the position. CEM's point is an entirely different one, and perhaps a valid one, though it seems to me that the OP could, without anyone else's advice on the matter, simply have discounted Megamum's sources of information, had he wished to do so. I would also suggest that the experienced skiers on here, with strong views on equipment, have no difficulty in getting their voices heard above other babble.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother, I suggest you re-read exactly what I have written - at no point did I disguise my early level of skiing and make any claims that what I was posting was on the back of my own experience, which it clearly was not. In point of fact it is my purogative as a member of SH's to post anything I like (within the terms and conditions of site content).

The day I start making false claims and giving advice I clearly can't support Is the day you might all have reason to take issue with me, but whilst I state clearly why I have said something and the reasons for a viewpoint or suggestion - in this case from what I have read elsewhere, then I still feel it is a valid contribution.

What makes me or anyone else incapable of being able to suggest a ski that someone might like to look at on the basis of research - there is loads of information out there?

Everyone has their own favourite skis and these might well not suit the skiing style of the poster asking the question - at least research based on a number of different sources has the advantage of taking into account the opinions of several different sources and that makes for better science than a single opinion of someone talking about their own personally favoured ski. N.B. That is generally accepted scientific principle rather than my own opinion. In fact those people talking recommending their own personally favoured ski could be argued as providing as biased advice on their preference as was claimed for the article I linked to.

This is a free forum - if I wanted to pretend to be a topclass bootfitter no-one could stop me. However, I won't do that as that could cause real problems which is more than a few posts here have done - esp. as I have said nothing in relation to a recommendation that I've claimed on the back of my own experience.rolling eyes

B.t.w. far from suggesting that I am getting 'touchy' I respectfully suggest that the high and mighty 'experienced' skiers on here that have taken issue with my contribution might well be accused of the same. Rather than take issue with me if you don't want less experienced skiers posting where you feel they shouldn't then I suggest you petition Admin for an 'experts only by invitation den' to keep us riff raff out. Until then I will continue to post if I think I’ve something useful to add.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, for the sake of fairness, while I agree with what you've said, CEM's complaint was, very specifically, that you hadn't complied with the request in the thread title. Which, so far as it goes, is true. But it's not as though you will have been the first to go off topic, nor that you didn't make your position clear from your first post - you did.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF_Skier,
Quote:

I've been skiing since 1978, if that's any guage of whether i'm worthy enough to post my comments.
The sad thing is that I've been skiing a bit longer than that and am perfectly certain that I'm not worthy to offer any advice whatsoever on skiing technique or equipment. Ho hum. Some of us are very slow learners (even more so when previous bad habits have to be unlearned.) Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, you should not have posted at all. Just read the topic name.

This section of the forum becomes useless if information is offered by people who don't have the experience to back it up. The OP can use Google himself to find reviews of skis.

Only a few weeks ago you were offering odd advice on pole length despite having admitted you didn't use your poles properly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what i know is that for the time being i won't bother to offer any further advice on this site... there you go, happy, another poster by the way side
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
BMF_Skier,
Quote:

I've been skiing since 1978, if that's any guage of whether i'm worthy enough to post my comments.
The sad thing is that I've been skiing a bit longer than that and am perfectly certain that I'm not worthy to offer any advice whatsoever on skiing technique or equipment. Ho hum. Some of us are very slow learners (even more so when previous bad habits have to be unlearned.) Sad Sad Sad
Shocked I'm certain our lack of 'skilled' and 'qualified' experience will rule us both out from posting....... ;-)As stoatsbrother stated:-

Quote:
There is a danger useful personal experience from good skiers like FlyingStantoni, Arno, slikedges and under a new name, can get lost otherwise.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 7-02-10 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMF_Skier, you will notice I did not criticise you offering an opinion on skis. But your response to CEM was silly.

CEM, sorry to hear that. I value your contributions hugely and you did the right thing on this thread.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, Heavens! Shocked so this section of the site is worthwhile if only experts publish their views - its getting as bad as BZK Shocked So the rest of us rabble should be limited to The Piste and Apres - well at least I now know where I stand - I must write to Admin and ask him to post a sticky advising the majority of posters of these changes - only experts must post on technical threads.

stoatsbrother, wrote:

Quote:
The OP can use Google himself to find reviews of skis.

But only if they know of their possible existence in the first place - True chicken and egg is Google - you won't go looking for something if you don't know its there in the first place. All I did was to suggest a name that might not readily come to mind that might have been worth a look - cardinal sin that it seems - give me strength!!

I think the 'experts' on here ought to go skiing and ease off some of their frustrations. rolling eyes Relax folks - its only an internet forum!! Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 7-02-10 16:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother wrote:
Megamum, you should not have posted at all. Just read the topic name.
This section of the forum becomes useless if information is offered by people who don't have the experience to back it up. The OP can use Google himself to find reviews of skis.
Only a few weeks ago you were offering odd advice on pole length despite having admitted you didn't use your poles properly.
You a moderator now, Stoatsbrother? I think not!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
what i know is that for the time being i won't bother to offer any further advice on this site... there you go, happy, another poster by the way side
That's a shame. I don't question the validity of what you posted, just thought it was a bit harsh, since Megamum's post wasn't actually misleading, only O/T. Seems a bit unnecessary to flounceo off, in the circumstances. It's not as though you don't garner, on a constant basis, heaps and heaps of well-deserved praise.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum,
Quote:

I think the 'experts' on here ought to go skiing and ease off some of their frustrations. Relax folks - its only an internet forum!!

I was skiing today and was frustration free until I read this chain. I thought that you made it abundantly clear in your original post that you thought you weren't at the level of the OPer but I understood that you felt you had something to add to the chain having recently done all the research and selected skis yourself.

It's my view that the posters on here are bang out of order in haranging you for having something to say.

CEM, perhaps all those smelly feet you have to suffer are starting to get to you. As megamum says - relax!
snow report
BMF_Skier, no I am not a moderator. But that doesn't mean I cannot point out when your GF is posting irrelevant stuff on the basis of no personal valid experience - although I have managed to restrain myself from doing this many times before. This is one area of the forum where - for it to be useful - people should actually bother to read the question. I don't think you do your GF any favours by coming to her defence, and I only responded when you and others criticised CEM. Well done there... rolling eyes
latest report
stoatsbrother, IMO you are out of order, but there you go, you think the same about me so I doubt that means anything to you.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, I have defended no one in particular, just anyone's right to post here (including mine) without being berated in very personalised responses.
snow conditions
If anyone was worried about the thread being cocked up in the first instance it has definitely become a shit show now.
snow conditions
would some one who is seasoned care to define "seasoned" please as i am very confused by all this, is it age or time spent on slopes or time spent buying skis or ability or what Puzzled
snow conditions
Neilski, Not far from nail on head I think. Its really one of those red rag to a bull terms I think. Personally I think its got something to do with salt and pepper wink

arv, too true Laughing It's the OP I feel sorry for - one innocent and self explantory posting from me and the place became a bomb site. I offer my apologies to the OP, but I don't think its entirely my fault Puzzled
snow report
arv, agreed. But the useful info in this section of the site can be diluted by well-meaning piffle.

Megamum, if someone requested an opinion from a "seasoned goat-breeder" and I posted "I know nothing about goats but I can use a search engine..." you would be right to criticise me. I only entered this thread because I was annoyed at seeing your BF have a go at CEM - a real expert - for rightly taking you to task.

Neilski, in megamum's case - it is total time spent on the internet, I suspect. Confused
latest report
What a crazy thread. A 'seasoned' skier could mean so many things. Surely advice from all sources is no bad thing. If the OP is fully 'seasoned' he or she will be able to tell without a problem which advice is the most pertinent.

Some people need to ditch the high horses for a moderately sized pony I believe.
latest report
stoatsbrother, Taking me 'to task', boy! what a comment rolling eyes To be honest I couldn't care two hoots about being 'taken to task'. I exercised my right to post what I wanted on a PUBLIC forum. I did it politely with explanation and no harm (physical or psychological) could be caused by what I put - certain people could learn from this. Many thanks to those that are posting that agree Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
queen bodecia, the trouble is the really useful contributors get put off. And I think it is pretty clear to anyone but a complete twit that the OP did not want the experience of people who were neither good skiers nor had tried the skis he mentioned.

Again - seen the same with people asking for medical advice - specifically from medics - and megamum chips in her halfpenny worth.

The bottom line is her BF's response has alienated one of the most useful contributors to this area of the forum.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, well ain't I just a thorn in your side? Tough luck mate - I ain't about to throw my dummy out of the pram like some - like it or lump it I'm here to stay.
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Neilski wrote:
would some one who is seasoned care to define "seasoned" please as i am very confused by all this, is it age or time spent on slopes or time spent buying skis or ability or what Puzzled
Funnily enough, I was wondering that. What made me think of it was realising that BMF Skier and I have been skiing for a similar number of years, but I suspect him of a being a good skier, whilst I ain't.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

like it or lump it I'm here to stay

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
Neilski wrote:
Funnily enough, I was wondering that. What made me think of it was realising that BMF Skier and I have been skiing for a similar number of years, but I suspect him of a being a good skier, whilst I ain't.
I wish I was a good skier. Smile Too many bad habits to be considered that!
ski holidays
It seems to me that this is what internet forums are all about. No matter what the OP says, all posters are able to post whatever they want and whoever they may be.
There are no rules that can be enforced to change this. And it is then up to anyone reading the forum to decide which posts are worth reading and which aren't.
I for one always scan the left side of the posts to see if any experts are posting, and will pay much more attention to them than to any others. CEM is at the top of my list of who to pay attention to, and I hope he re-thinks his decision to keep his expertise from those of us who value it and use Snowheads to find it.
Having said that, non-experts can offer valuable advice from time to time too. Even me!
snow report
The OP is a big boy - he can sort the wheat from the chaff as he sees fit.
snow conditions
For what it's worth, I agree with CEM and stoatsbrother. The OP specifically asked for info from seasoned skiers. I was surprised to see that Megamum had posted, in view of her level. I appreciate that the post alluded to her status, but I still think that if an OP requests info from a specific area of expertise, that is where the responses should come from.

Maybe in this case, the response that Megamum received is harsh, but as was mentioned above, this isn't the first time 'advice' has been given by her on a subject that is way above level.
ski holidays
Jumper, Interesting point - are you using post count as a guide?
latest report
Another classic corner of the internet takes shape Laughing
snow conditions
The SH police strike again
latest report
How very funny. Whether or not appropriate in this thread, I often appreciate Megamum's posts as they reflect opinions (and more importantly, questions) from someone who's very interested in the subject, thoughtful and is at a relatively early stage in her ski learning.

Which is very important to me as I am afraid that I've pretty much forgotten what it's like to learn to ski.

Well done her.
snow report
For the record, whilst acknowledging the OPs request, I have no objection to Megamum giving us her thoughts on the subject.
latest report
before anyone makes comment, i said
Quote:

i won't bother to offer any further advice on this site.

i didn't say i would not post.... well, looking at the camps for and against, this thread is a perfect example why so many people in the ski industry come on here, stay for a while, giving useful advice then leave, , and normally don't have a good word to say about the place

Yes it is a public forum, but was there not talk of achiving this stuff somewhere as a resource?????, if someone asks a specific question then why the white noise, answer the question as asked, if the question is a general "i'm thinking of new skis what has everyone else used?" then great, get the opinions flowing
ski holidays
Apparently if someone mentions hitler the thread comes to an end.......................Hitler, Gas Chamber, Nazis.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy