Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski selection advice from seasoned skiers please.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all my last set or Rossignol bandit b1's are finally coming to an end,(109/70/99 in 176cm) these are the last set of 3 that I purchased about 6 years ago after sking about 10 different skis and sizes (as all of you seasoned skiers know the proof is clearly in the pudding,don't believe the hype!!).I now find myself needing to start thinking about some new ones and having been happy with the Rossis find myself completely out of touch with the latest offerings.I am in Meribel next weekend would like to start demoing some new ones.I have been sking for 35 years,5ft11 86kg I will ski the whole mountain in control (well apart from when I fall on my back bottom that is)have completed basi instructor training and ski to a very good standard.A little more flotation than the b1s in off piste would be nice,as would a little more grip on ice,however my main priority is the ski MUST be fast edge to edge (which is why I favoured the original b1s from the b2s) I have been recomended to try Rossi zenith z9.5 and Atomic Nomads (so many models not sure which one,so from the specs am guessing the narrow waisted 76mm smoke ti will be a good starting point)Does anybody else want to pitch in with your thoughts?thanks for any advice in advance,hope somebody may be able to help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stockli Stormrider XXL. Does all that you've asked for.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Spyderman the "hype" looks promising,thy are on the list,anymore for anymore?many thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
steveburles, I ski on the Stormrider XL, it's an amazing ski. The XXL wasn't available when I got mine, but it would be my choice now.

The XL has amazing edge grip and is super fast. It's 75mm underfoot, so will go most places. but the extra width of the XXL would be better off-piste.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my prefered method of attack is 100 turns per second straight down the fall line,any good?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
steveburles wrote:
my prefered method of attack is 100 turns per second straight down the fall line,any good?

Get a slalom ski if that's what you like. Much more likely to have fun that way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
had 8 years on 2m special slalom skis in the days when Eddie the eagle ruled the hill (i've still got two sets in the loft if anybody is after some budget firewood!!) need something more all mountain,but still want that edge too edge speed when needed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
steveburles wrote:
... need something more all mountain,but still want that edge too edge speed when needed.

Ah, the challenge of getting the compromises right!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And the price, as every time I buy new un's i normally buy 2-3 sets so I don't have to go through this every couple of years!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
steveburles wrote:
And the price, as every time I buy new un's i normally buy 2-3 sets so I don't have to go through this every couple of years!!!

Why not go for one pair which is piste-focused and one pair which is offpiste-focused?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bullseye!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
steveburles, a serious question - how much skiing do you do to get through 3 pairs in 6 years?

If you're skiing that much, you really should have different skis to avoid the compromises of one pair and you should be skiing on something a little more challenging/rewarding I would think.

I reckon you should get 120 days out of a pair of skis, there or thereabouts. So in 6 years you should have skied 360 days (at least). I am impressed!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
I am impressed!!

I am jealous!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes and I am generally broke! Am trying to avoid the 2 set scenario if possible,generally I drive but find myself flying a lot more often now and could do with avoiding the extra carrage charges if possible.Anymore for anymore?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
steveburles, so... seriously, how many days a year do you ski? If less than 120, what are you doing to go through skis so quickly?

Reasons not to buy 2-3 identical pairs at once:

1. skis are changing rapidly so you may miss out on interesting developments (I think we're about to hit a whole new set of "rules")

2. presumably your skiing is changing so what works now won't work in 6 years time

If you really, really just want one ski, with the requirements above (and given that you liked Rossis) check out either Rossi Radical Oversize 9X (GS-ey, 80 mm underfoot so should add a little off piste list, ought to be quick enough edge to edge although I haven't skied any recent pairs so can't guarantee) or 9S (SL-ey, softer, wider tips and tails helping off piste, and I can't imagine not quick enough edge to edge).

If you ski as well as you claim I'd suspect the Zeniths a little too soft.
ski holidays
I must admit that 120 days a year is a bit of a stretch these days what with a couple of ankle biters in tow.The odd trip on the old b1's accross a cleared car park really doesn't do them much good either (failing that after getting wrecked in the bar I normally ski back to the chalet down the road screaming abuse at the French,just to liven there afternoon up of course you understand) delete/believe any of the above as you see fit.I normally ski anywhere from 6-8 weeks a year and sell them after somewhere around 8 weeks whilst they still have some resale value,of course this depends on how much French baiting/car park action I have got in!I have added your sugestions to the list anymore gentlemen please.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 5-02-10 16:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I bought a pair of Nomad Crimsons last year, they have 86mm under foot and I still can't beleave how quick they are from edge to edge on piste. The really are a great all round ski. Might be a bit soft for you but you could always try the TI version. Got them cheap from www.sport-conrad.com and last time I looked they still had some for 300 euro + p&p about £20

PS I don't work for them
snow conditions
Volkl AC series?

For more true (ie fully 50:50 on/offpiste) check the Dynastar Sultan 85's. At 85mm it has good float offpiste but is still quick edge to edge, with good grip. Shapely sidecut rocks 15m radius carves, nice and stiff. Basically a fatter gs cheater ski, that excels when the snow gets tricky.
snow conditions
Ok boys unless anybody else can throw a blinder into the mix i think I now have enough to keep me busy for a week or so.Thank you all for your help,it's been emotional!
snow report
Elan Magfire Ti 78 or 82 are supposed to be quite good - might be worth casting an eye over their write up. I'm no where near the skier that you are, but having now got a pair (to grow into rolling eyes ) I've spent a lot of time looking at their specs and reviews on the net. Normally, I wouldn't presume to suggest a ski to an experienced skier, but your requirements do seem to fit with what I've read about them and the reviews by other more experienced skiers and they might be worth considering.
snow conditions
If you really want fast edge to edge you can't be doing with anything much over 75mm underfoot, ie pretty much a piste ski, and if you only want something with a bit more float off piste than a 70mm B1 then that width limit is no problem.
snow report
slikedges, That might be the case, I just read this review which would seem to suggest that something like the Magfire is an exception to that general rule:

http://www.ski-mag.com/en/ski/clanak.php?id=19488

An excert from that write up:

"According to their reputation, Magfire models should perform equally well both on and off-piste. Magfire 78 Ti is no exception, but it is more intended for groomers. Its 4 mm narrower waist, when compared to 82 Ti model, is responsible for its easier rolling onto edges, which will be a real blessing for skiers who are into on-piste carving. The ski is very fast on such surface and it reveals a glimpse of a race class, especially during giant slalom turns. It performs on groomers almost as good as Speedwave models, which are intended particularly for such conditions. This ski is very navigable and responsive; it simply "takes" you into a turn"

As I said I don't ski mine well enough to know or to recommend them due to these properties to an experienced skier, but I just recalled the write up and then read the OP's requirements and they seemed to match.
ski holidays
steveburles, other then the stormrider as already suggested, going on the narrow side then head supershape magnum, on the wider side atomic nomad savage Ti

Megamum, without wanting to be harsh, please read the title of the thread, regurgitated reviews are not really what was asked for
Little Angel
ski holidays
slikedges, good point, although I imagine the 9XO may be OK at 80mm.

As you know I prefer something a little slimmer...
ski holidays
Megamum, it's physically* impossible for a 78mm ski to be quick edge to edge in the way a ski 5-10mm narrower might be. I know you have a pair but that's just one review from one guy. Who may well be sponsored by Elan. And with a name that sounds like he may even be Slovenian. Now let me see if I can remember where Elan are from...

*physically as in physics

under a new name, I'm partial to slim too (though fatter can be fun as long as your friends don't see you) Toofy Grin
latest report
The width debate is looking promising!at the begining of the thread hors piste made the comment that buying 2 or 3 sets of skis and then effectively ignoring the market for 2-3 years is foolish which I think is a valid point and in the past 5 years or so I haven't stepped on another pair of skis appart the b1s.In my mind I have determined that the fast edge to edge performance that I require is mostly attributed to waist width (but haven't hinted at this in my posts as technology progresses and clearly i'm 6 years out of touch with this).It seems to me that average ski width in on the increase year on year, and as slikedges notes with the associated physical restraints.I've had the magfires mentioned to be by 2 or 3 other sources and if possible to get a go on some would like to give them a go,but think that a ski with a more narrow waist should be more suitable.I'm starting to get the feeling that i'm turning myself into one old big ski experiment!!!
snow report
steveburles, sounds like you are coming round to the idea that buying ski kit is fun, not a chore wink

suggest you find somewhere with a good selection and try lots of things out, even things you think you won't like
latest report
CEM wrote:
Megamum, without wanting to be harsh, please read the title of the thread, regurgitated reviews are not really what was asked for
Little Angel
CEM Laughing you get up from the wrong side of the bed? wink
"For all new Snowheads... Welcome to a Ski forum where 'any' opinion is appreciated....." Laughing
As this must be an expert thread for expert skiers........ Laughing I'll leave the posting to cool and groovies then...... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMF_Skier, no not at all, but with all due respect
snow report
steveburles wrote:
I've had the magfires mentioned to be by 2 or 3 other sources and if possible to get a go on some would like to give them a go,but think that a ski with a more narrow waist should be more suitable.

I've got a pair of Elan Magfire 12 from a few seasons ago which I think are similar to the current 78 TI. It's a good ski, one that I use more often than any other pair I've got as I think it's a good compromise. But it really can't be said to be quick from edge to edge. If I want a ski which is quick from edge to edge and has some life in it I'll use a pair of slalom skis (Elan SLX or Vist SL). Even the Head Supershape Magnums I recently bought are much more lively that the Magfire 12, and presumably the 78 TI. But if I was going to be skiing a mix of on piste and off-piste variable snow I'd opt for the Magfires every time.
snow report
steveburles, As I now appear to have been granted permission to post to the thread by CEM.... wink

The Elan Magfire 78Ti's referred to above would, i believe fit, your requirements as a good all round ski. Having skied these they are firm, solid, excellent on piste and, on the few (very few) occassion the deep stuffs has been encountered, the 78mm width does the job. I'm sure they are not nimble racing or SL skis but I believe they should be able to give you a good all round performance. I first used these in April 2008 at the EOSB, and if I hadn't won them in the raffle Very Happy I was going to buy a set.

BTW, slikedges I'm not Slovenian nor an employee of Elan.
ski holidays
CEM, The OP requested advice from seasoned skiers - Hand held up - I am not a seasoned skier, a point I did make. However, with all the different skis out there I doubt anyone could bring to mind all those that it might be worth finding out about. The point of a thread like this seems to be to get suggestions as to what could be worth looking at. The opening post doesn't ask for personal experience of the skis, it mearly asks for suggestions as to models that might be worth considering. I guess most people automatically consider the big manufacturers, possibly even know the well known model names and what sort of ski they are. Smaller manufacturers, like Elan, may not enjoy similar familiarity.

Leaving aside the fact that I am undoubtedly 'overskied' at the moment I HAVE done extensive research on what I own (something I always make a point of doing - I wonder how many others do the same?). Everything I have read and found about suggests that the Magfire Ti range would be suitable on piste, and would give some performance off piste (something the OP also asks for). There is not a review out there - written or video that I've found, that suggests otherwise. OK, some of the reviews might be advertising hype, but even on a forum it could well be the case that the Bloggs and Co ski being recommended by poster 'JoeXXXL' isn't actually being recommended by the MD of Bloggs & Co. Also, any ski being recommended or rejected on the basis of someones experience is probably limited to their skiing ability, something I know only too well.

Given the above I can see no reason at all not to plant an idea in someones mind on the basis of 'pure research' of something that they may not have considered. I have not even presumed to base that recommendation on my own experience - I am not qualified yet to do this IMV. Rather I have gone with the balance of evidence from other review sites. Something that SH's is just another one of IMV- I guess on the basis of the current argument all of these are biased with no genuine unbiased reviews, also that none of them have been written or presented by 'seasoned' skiers (I promise I won't tell them!) - it just seems strange that they all present a consistent comment on the skis that appears to meet the requirements of the OP* Puzzled .....................

*(I won't quote them all as that is clearly not required, but I am right in what I say about their content).

N.B. under a new name, I've actually skied the Rossignol Radical 9X Oversize for 2 or 3 days. However, despite thinking it I am clearly not qualified to comment that I found it a great on-piste ski too, so just ignore the comment folks.

B.t.w. What is a 'seasoned skier' and does salt and pepper come into it?

Anyhow, I tug my forelock to the 'seasoned skiers' here and humbly beg forgiveness for daring to venture into a realm I am clearly barred from. I hope eveyone gets out of the right side of bed tomorrow. Little Angel
ski holidays
Megamum, not getting at you. Just pointing out that at the current level of technology 78mm can't/won't be quick edge-to-edge regardless of anyone's subjective opinion and tongue in cheek that the guy who wrote the article might just lack a little credibility (though to be fair to him, he certainly didn't put it as strongly as you did).

BMF_Skier, are you sponsored by them or do you own shares then? Are you married to a Slovenian? Toofy Grin wink

I skied some Magnums today - quick edge-to-edge, but not quick like my Elan slalom skis. I also own the Peak 78, Head's equiv of the 78mm Magfires. It's currently my daily jack of all-mountain ski of choice, but it doesn't ski like a piste ski (nor like a powder one!).
ski holidays
slikedges, your Elan SLX are wallowing pigs edge to edge compared to my 45mm Elan Predators.

NehNeh Razz wink

(and, for the puzzled readers out there, I reckon ski waist IS an important first-order factor in edge to edge quickness.

Not the final word, though, because most piste skis are not reverse cambered. This means that the outer edge at the tips WILL engage the snow, meaningfully, before the full edge angulation is achieved. Therefore there is a good chance that slikedges (65mm? waist) SLX are actually faster edge to edge than my 45mm waist predators, because the SLX have 120mm+ wide tips and stiff flex vs. the Predators 87mm tips and ultrasoft flex).
snow conditions
comprex, yep, there are hypothetical innovations that can influence this hence you, I know, will have noticed my caveat 'current level of technology' Very Happy
latest report
slikedges, hmmm, I am off to measure my old 9XOs.
snow report
under a new name, on most skis it's printed on the topsheet... Toofy Grin wink
snow report
steveburles, I had some Nomad Crimsons and found them a bit too floppy for me and far from quick edge to edge.

I'm currently on some Rossi 9X oversizes, which are 80mm underfoot and very, very fast in all respects. Ok, they're not slalom ski fast edge to edge, but work very well for an all mountain ski. They're a bit brutal off-piste though and a bit like an ex-girlfriend of mine in that they offer absolutely no forgiveness if you mess up Toofy Grin

Worth a look I'd suggest and very easy to rent. Rossi also do a 8X, which has one less layer of titanium.
snow conditions
Megamum, I call that an extremely spirited defence! Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, thankyou very much! Very Happy Very Happy

As I said I did actually get to ski the Rossi RX Oversize in an 160, and absolutely loved it, even though I've now got the Magfires which I will now keep until they wear out I still covert the Rossis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy