Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urgent quick question - Ski boots on Easyjet???

Poster: A snowHead
Can you take ski boots as hand luggage on the flight and do they have to be in a "ski bag" aswell or do they have to go in the case??? tried to find the answer on there website but i cant find it, neither can i find a phone number Mad Mad Mad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last year we flew on Sleazyjet Luton to Grenoble, they made passengers take ski boots out of hand luggage and put in the hold

And at Grenoble there are signs saying they must not be in your hand luggage
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bo***ks Sad Sad Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But there's absoultely no consistency to this cos I went on a Manc to Munich flight on Nov 26th 2009 and two of the four of us carried ski boots in what were obviously boot bags onto the flight without any problem..... and did the same coming back 4 days later

You can definitely fit one boot in your hand luggage regardless of what they say, then put the other in hold luggage.... that significantly reduces hold luggage weight....

BTW Ricklovesthepowder, ..... you should know there's no such thing as a "quick question" on snowheads..... this thread could go on for months wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowGod wrote:
But there's absoultely no consistency to this cos I went on a Manc to Munich flight on Nov 26th 2009 and two of the four of us carried ski boots in what were obviously boot bags onto the flight without any problem..... and did the same coming back 4 days later

You can definitely fit one boot in your hand luggage regardless of what they say, then put the other in hold luggage.... that significantly reduces hold luggage weight....

BTW Ricklovesthepowder, ..... you should know there's no such thing as a "quick question" on snowheads..... this thread could go on for months wink

i will just leave them in the case, sod all the hastle and agro when i get to liverpool as they can be a jobsworth at the best of times. That airport seriously needs a kick up the backside!!! also on easyjet there is 2 of us with a 20kg allowance so as long as the combined weight is 40kg between the 2 bags, so 25kg in 1 and 15kg in another is that ok??? got a number for easyjet and it just rings and rings, no answer Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure about easyjet but BMI Baby and Ryanair state you can't share the weight between people so if your bag was 20.1Kg and your mates 1.5Kg you'd still cop an excess charge!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are flying EasyJet LGW-Toulouse on Thurs and am struggling to fit salopettes, change of clothes, helmets, ski boots, gloves, toiletries into one carry on bag per passenger. We are going to take a hold bag to solve this issue.

Is the ski-boot question driven by fear of loss? I am not keen for them to loose my new boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Again Sleazyjet are inconsistent on sharring baggage allowances.... I've got through doing so before and got pulled up for it as well. To be on the safe side I'd put 20 in each case...

AndrewBailey, I think the ski boot question is driven by weight rather than fear of loss
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i hadnt eveb thought of loss if im being honest, with all the problems at geneva over the past few weeks just another thing to be worrying about!!! I have now been on the phone to Easyjey for 47 minutes and still no answer - a disgrace really, says they are open until 8pm. we cant really put 20 and 20 in each case as 1 is a small one and the other is a big case. I just know when i turn up at 5am to check in, there will be some issue as there always is at Liverpool Airport.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I just know when i turn up at 5am to check in, there will be some issue as there always is at Liverpool Airport.

Please don't say that.... I'm flying to Innsbruck from Liverpool with easyjet on Sunday morning!!!! Shocked wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, I'd like to believe you're not a troll rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No consistency at all. We have flown from Liverpool to Geneva and return, with Easyjet, for the past three winters. We have had at least one boot bag with us as hand luggage and it has never been questioned at either end. We are flying again on Saturday, same route and carrier, and have yet to decide whether to try to fit the two pairs we are taking, into the hold luggage, or just take the boot bag again. Much will depend on how few clothes two adults and two children can get away with packing and how heavy the cases are.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thats the problem with them all..... the inconsistency.... I've seen people stopped at the gate with marginal sized habd luggage when others have walked through to the same flight past the same ground staff with huge hand luggage bags... rules are rules but u get away with what u can!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi its not down to the airline as whether you can carry on your boots, its the airport, as an example any airline that flies out of Grenoble has to abide by the airport rules, which are that no boots or helmets are taken on as hand luggage.

SnowGod, don't disagree as you see the person in front of you with their wheelie suitcase and briefcase, which in terms of size is really another suitcase and then when you get on the plane there is no where for you to put your one bag Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Hi its not down to the airline as whether you can carry on your boots, its the airport, as an example any airline that flies out of Grenoble has to abide by the airport rules, which are that no boots or helmets are taken on as hand luggage.

Many airports don't have this rule but its convenient how all the low cost airlines seem to have a max hand luggage size which a just slighlty larger than a boot bag with a pair of ski boots in it!
snow report
According to their website:

Quote:
Ski boots will have to be checked in as normal hold baggage subject to hold baggage fees and cannot be carried as hand baggage due to security reasons.
snow conditions
If your case is over 20 kg you will be liable for excess
snow report
Quote:

If your case is over 20 kg you will be liable for excess

.... and if you put weight on whilst on holiday they also reserve the right to charge you on the difference on the return flight Laughing
ski holidays
snowsteve, And I emailed Salzburg and got an instant response, no problem with boots in hand luggage as long as there are no sharp projections - Manchester airport, no email address, tried going through lost luggage link, no response, but have taken them through with no problem in the past. As SnowGod, says, it's security at the airport that sets the rules, and that seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing that day!
snow conditions
There's two issues.... some airports seem to have a no boots policy possibly for security reasons..... airlines have to abide by that come what may.

BUT there are airlines that have the policy which they employ on all their flights regardless of the airport policy. Most of the budget airlines seem to have a ridiculously small size allowance for hand luggage which means you simply can't fit boots in the rack. The cynical view might be that they want the extra weight in your hold luggage so they can sting you for excess baggage..... I can't think of any reason other than the cynical view wink

The incosistency comes when u see people walking through to your flight with boot bags then you get pulled up for it and charged for an extra bag plus the extra weight..... this genuinely does seem to depend on which way the wind is blowing.... but beware.... the wind can change direction very quickly at airport gates so keep and eye on the windsock on the tarmac Laughing
latest report
SnowGod, Easyjet don't have a carry on weight limit. The Irish mob do though.... The Irish mob also have a miniscule bag size that is 5cm smaller on the smallest dimension than EJ, BA et al. From 25 to 20cm is quite a change. We managed our trip to Norway with 5 carry on bags with two pairs of boots and five helmets but packing was not fun....

rayscoops, We are flying with Easyjet on Thurs - Gatwick - Toulouse and have booked a hold bag. It says on the terms we can carry 32kg in the bag. That would seem plenty for a ski weekend!
latest report
AndrewBailey, 32 kg is the health and safety allowance for lifting a bag by one person so they will allow a bag to weigh no more than that, you pay for 20 kg but you can fill up your bag to 32 kg for an excess baggage charge per kg ...... unless you have paid for ski carriage which gives you an extra 12 kg

just in case
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58745&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59462&highlight=
snow report
Quote:

We managed our trip to Norway with 5 carry on bags with two pairs of boots and five helmets but packing was not fun....

AndrewBailey, what the hell did you do??? take it all down to the local scrap yard and stick in in the crusher then just pick it all apart again on arrival??? Hey I could take my Lexus RX n hand luggage that way and save some dosh on the transfer too wink
snow report
rayscoops, You are right but it says "32 kg total hold weight" on the receipt but in the T&Cs it says "20kg allowance" so it looks like a documentation issue. The T&Cs will win. As we are skiing at least my beloved wife won't be taking five pairs of shoes and outfits so we will be under 20kg anyway.

SnowGod, Four bags exactly the max size and one smaller. Not much apres-ski clothing as we went with our kids so pretty much the trousers we stood up in and salopettes. Packing for the trip home wasn't fun I must admit.... Incidentally I measured the Ryanair cages and they were 56x45x24 so I suppose that is why they introduced the cardboard boxes of exactly the correct 56x45x20 size.
snow report
Plenty of boots in boot bacgs in the cabin on last nights 1800 flight from Geneva to Luton
snow report
Related to this thread - I think - What's the score with taking 2 pairs of skis in the same ski bag - do you get stung for 2 x skis charges or do you get away with it? (Easyjet)
snow report
Brookside, it's down to weight of bag now, not wot's in it.
ski holidays
AndrewBailey wrote:
rayscoops, You are right but it says "32 kg total hold weight" on the receipt but in the T&Cs it says "20kg allowance" so it looks like a documentation issue.

20 kg is the allowance. You can pay excess up to 32kg. Paying for skis gives you extra weight.

I now normally take a double ski bag which allows room for a boot at each end, as well as the skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Brookside, it's down to weight of bag now, not wot's in it

Mosha Marc, I don't think I've ever had my ski bag weighed with any airline???? Can't recall so anyway.... where in the process do they weight it?
latest report
SnowGod, I have always had my snowboard bag weighed, they ask me to put it on the scales as if a normal check-in bag so they can 'tag' it, and it gets weighed then
snow report
rayscoops, They rarel (if ever) do that with ski bags IME.

I usually just prop the ski bag against the counter, and they will reach over and put the label on it without asking me to move it at all.
latest report
alex_heney, wow, I have always had mine weighed by Easyjet Puzzled , maybe it is because I rarely pay for any other checked baggage Little Angel
ski holidays
Our ski bag has been weighed, we use a board bag with 2 sets of ski's and 2 helmets.
snow conditions
They've always just leaned over and tagged mine too, the I've taken it to oversized baggage and slung it on the conveyor once I've shown my boarding card....

maybe because a snowboard bag is designed to be the only old bag u take... ie it has all your other gear in it too???? whereas a ski bag should ( wink ) just contain one set of ski's and poles....
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
alex_heney, wow, I have always had mine weighed by Easyjet Puzzled , maybe it is because I rarely pay for any other checked baggage Little Angel

That could explain it.

Possibly also the fact that a snowboard bag is a different shape to a ski bag, and is both easier to fit on the scales, and harder to reach over the counter when propped up.
ski holidays
SnowGod wrote:
I don't think I've ever had my ski bag weighed with any airline???? Can't recall so anyway.... where in the process do they weight it?

At the desk, Jet2 for the last two years at least.
snow report
i flew back to bristol from geneva on monday and was in the boarding queue behind a guy wearing his ski boots!!!
latest report
SnowGod, Easyjet at Gatwick normally weigh mine but it rarely happens at Innsbruck on the way back, which is a good thing given the amount of stuff I sometimes buy in the end of ski season sales Smile
ski holidays
I'll have to be careful in future... I never weigh mine before I leave home and I've never had them weighed by an airline.... could be a recipe for future disaster...
latest report
Quote:

we cant really put 20 and 20 in each case as 1 is a small one and the other is a big case.

Shaking head smiley wink you put all the heavy stuff like shoes, toiletries etc in the little case and the light stuff in the big case snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy