Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Training for the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Boris, I think it unlikely that snowpatrol has much interest in your 73 year old mum.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris, Laughing It's a plan. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boris, good points well presented....

Shimmy Alcott, as long as i have a face...you'll have somewhere to squat....

okbye
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, you'd be surprised..my mum hasn't skied in 2 years but is skiing with us next xmas when she'll be 68....

okbye
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowpatrol, and she follows your exercise regime? Shocked

PS She must be very proud of having raised such a charming and well-spoken boy, btw.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowpatrol, I think you're right, at least in part, about including a some decent, old-fashioned, strength work (I don't know about the comparative benefits of full vs. partial squats ... but what I do know if if you ask ten different 'experts', you'll probably get ten different answers).

However, I'm pretty convinced that this isn't enough in itself. What about some endurance, power/plyometric/core-stability work?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, Laughing she is a retired pe teacher but no, her squatting days are over wink Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowpatrol, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj, yep you are right...10 people = 10 different answers...full squats are an unbelievably ballsy, sawdust on the floor, grit your teeth, old skool, make my legs huuuge exercise, but it does much much more than that..it is also probably the best core exercise you can perform (when a decent amount of weight is used)...of course cardio helps too..i do some running, mostly 5k x 3 times a week in summer 1 x per week in winter..but i do think the most important exercise by far (to improve your sking) is the squat...as for exercises that increase your explosive power, the clean, clean and jerk (stop sniggering at the back) and the snatch (i said no sniggering) are without doubt THE best exercises to perform...

okbye
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
papillion_rouge, ireland v wales....march 20th...croke park...i'll meet you in dury's after we've whipped your ar$e$ on the pitch, then i'll whip you where it counts....in the bar wink

okbye
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
colincrist, you do crossfit?......

okbye
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An article I came across a couple of years back featuring some of Bodie Miller's pre-season exersises:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0511/sports/bode_miller.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abj, i like that wheel barrow exercise....if you are into hardcore, old skool training, google "the 300 training regime"....it shows you the day by day training routines the cast for the 300 film went through....gerard butler is a monster trainer BTW...very interesting stuff....

okbye
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowpatrol, I had a mate you gave the 300-regime a go. From what I heard about it, it sounds pretty brutal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...brutal is the word mate....you've got me thinkin with that nat geo feature...i'll try and suss out some of the other top skiers regimes...svindal, walchoffer etc etc...some big lads there...could make interesting reading....

okbye
ski holidays
snowpatrol, you cut your running down to 1 x 5k in the winter? You just lost all respect.
latest report
I'll keep an eye out for it. Very Happy
latest report
Here's some more suggestions:

http://youtube.com/v/RkIagSiJv7o

http://youtube.com/v/JCpIdS3teJQ
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Boris, leg thrusts to clamber up the steps to the sun deck. Arm stretches attracting the waitresses attention. Olfactory exercises in identifying if the pinot noir was grown on east or west facing slopes. It's exhausting, this skiing malarky
latest report
Tim Sawyer, lean out in summer...bulk up in winter wink....

okbye
ski holidays
dear mr snowpatrol. i'm well in the picture so to speak ta. squat on son and i'll follow the advice of a proffesional paid to look after ridiculously
expensive soccer players. Btw lets not get into a my mates an expert and yours aint scenario, cos your mates an expert weight lifter and mines an expert sports physio.
goodluck in the gym, and be careful with your knees

geoff
snow report
Rowing is probably the best single exercise, as it gives you legs like Alain Baxter's and the arm endurance to "pole" along for miles.

Cycling is probably better than running (marginally) but running is still very good.

A swimming (arms and core) / running combo regime would be handy as well.

Obviously though, the ability to navigate low door frames and a tiny bedroom whilst p*ssed is far more important, so I always nail a few lengths of "2 by 4" across my doors at around 5'6'' off the ground and drink to excess in the weeks leading up to departure. It's very hard to simulate a tiny bedroom, but avoiding smacking your head on exposed timber whilst p*ssed can easily be worked on.
latest report
Quote:

my mum was doing this a few weeks back - she's 73 and has just had both knees replaced and had no issues

Boris, respect to your Mum! Did she work hard on rehab after the knees? How long before the skiing were they done? A great example to us all. Did you give her some time off from babysitting?
snow report
The Flying Snowplough, I am old and not particularly fit, but I do row quite a lot and reckon that's what enabled me to ski 0915 to 1630 (with not more than an hour off for lunch) on six consecutive days last week, without much problem. Being on the rower is my favourite time in the gym, I really enjoy it. HOWEVER, nice as Alain Baxter's legs look on him, they are not quite what I aspire to. Shocked
snow report
geoffkay, hey geoff, don't be like that....anyhow, premiership footballers are p00fs...haven't you seen them rolling about on the ground like faries....you dont expect me to take you seriously when you refer me to football players and a football sports physio...and while we're at it...why don't you look up the term "physio" and see what you come up with...i think you're confusing your mate i.e."physio" who couldn't possibly know squat about squats, with my mate i.e." national olympic lifting athlete and coach" who trains athletes at a national level in the technique and art of squatting...so...thanx for your concern, but my knees are in good hands, so to speak...

okbye
ski holidays
Hurtle, I was a committed rower when skiing regularly before having kids. I'd given up - due to a ruptured disk - prior to our first family trip, and whilst fit from running, I missed the "poling power" I'd had previously. I even had to do that confounded skating thing to make progress on the flat. Sad
snow report
snowpatrol, Premiership football players collectively are a bunch of awesome athletes. Most athletically gifted lads play football, and with the chance of £100k a week in their early 20s, the Premiership clubs attract a lot of great athletes. It's a major problem for a lot of sports in the UK as by the time most are rejected as footy players, it's too late for them to develop fully in other sports.

They do roll around too much, though. Smile
snow conditions
snowpatrol wrote:
colincrist, you do crossfit?......

Not really although I do a lot of the same functional stuff but don't follow the crossfit regime. Still do traditional power and strength work too but I don't believe in pumping lots of iron. Each to his own. There are a couple of crossfit gyms near me (Hackney) and although interested, I'm already paying enough at my own gym...

Had fun today with a couple of people at my gym, one on an indo board, one on a BOSU and the other on a voodoo board "playing catch" with a medicine ball, double handed, single handed and bouncing the ball between us then switching between the equipment. Good way to end a session. Its good to do exercise that works the brain as well as the muscles.

Was in La Grave a few weeks back riding some nice steep pow for the first time in a while and for sure I felt my balance as much better than last season.

Balance boards, esp. Indo, have definitely helped by riding and they're easy to use at home. Just put them away when the booze comes out and your friends are around wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colincrist, i try and fit some crossfit in between olympic lifting sessions...mostly in summer though...next time you're on their website, check out "fran"... its their benchmark exercise... (21-15-9 reps for time of 95lb thrusters / pull ups)...its a Fcuking killer......

okbye
ski holidays
I guess you mean this bad boy
http://youtube.com/v/IVBgKB4Gnsw - push pull hell.

You're evil. I never want to train with you wink
snow report
colincrist, oh yes....thats the one....i only do it 3 times in the year...once in spring, once in summer, once in autumn....my alltime favourite is "linda" aka "the 3 bars of death" .....10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps for time of the triplet: 1.5 x bodyweight deadlifts/1 x bw bench press/0.75 x bw squat cleans....wow...just fcuking wow....try that one mate....but make sure you haven't planned to train for a few days afterwards...it will kill you Skullie ....
snow conditions
That's just not natural Shocked I'll stick with my tried and trusted method of wrestling with the sofa
snow report
i walked up and down the stairs a few tiems today

i'll work up to wight training tomorrow by carrying the packed bags down teh stairs

then a bit of wight lifting putting them into the car

followed by a warm down followed by another session of lifting onto the trolley Smile
ski holidays
I've created a monster.

colincrist,

Quote:

Its good to do exercise that works the brain as well as the muscles.

Did you hear a whooshing sound over your head as you typed that sentence?

And a fitness video to the tune of Jolene by Dolly Parton. Really? Are you even half aware? I haven't laughed so much in ages. Thank you.
ski holidays
Blimey, I'm exhausted just reading some of this. Of course getting fit makes a difference and of course it depends on what you want to achieve.

I go to the gym regularly to do a bit of cadio. I am fortunate that it's a place which caters for everyone, from the retired grandma using a rower to help her retain some flexibility to the guys in the corner trying to outdo each other on the weights. I'm a lot fitter than I was when I started skiing and can ski all day on piste without being exhausted at the end of it. That's enough for me right now. Although I probably ought to work a bit more on upper body (reminder to self - start using the rowers more, thanks Hurtle).

If I get into back-country skiing I appreciate I'd need to be a lot fitter to start hiking up mountains carrying my kit.
snow conditions
dear Mr snowpatrol,
i know soccer players chuck themselves around the ground like great jessies, but they ARE athletes and because of their worth to their clubs need someone with the highest credentials and experience levels to tend to their every whim. sooner or later you'll have to accept that sportsmen other than rugby players may be "real athletes". i'm allowed to speak this heresy because (this is purely to establish my none poof credentials ) i have played representative rugby union at county level, i'm also qualified athletics coach and have been involved in athletics for most of my life. believe me athletes generally make soccer players look like real hardmen the slightest twinge or sniffle and they are buggered.
any way enough waffle from me.
geoff
snow report
Dr John, hey doc....i know your problem...its obvious you are completely intimidated by exercise and have a dislike for those who take the time and make the effort to try and get themselves in as good condition as they can...not to look good, although this enhances self confidence, but to be able to enjoy life and do things the ordinary sucker cant do..also to help prolong their existence on this planet and set a good example to siblings, kids etc etc...i used to go to school with people like you..always forgetting their shorts, having their mummies write excusal notes, complaining of having to play rugby on frozen ground and getting training cancelled because of their whinging... and as a consequence, getting the $h!t knocked out of them in the changing room...they'd never learn though, and would keep complaining and moaning and whinging like faries...i could never understand why they would take a beating as opposed to getting their fat lazy faggot ar$es out on the pitch...you were one of those faggots weren't you doc?......

okbye
ski holidays
snowpatrol, now, now play nicely with the other boys
snow conditions
snowpatrol, I think all your reasons for doing the exercise you do are good ones, save for prolonging your existence on the planet. How much longer do you think you're buying yourself and do you think those extra years - at the end of your life, by definition, when (to use your own great phrase) your squatting days will be over wink - will be worth any sacrifices you are making? Are you in fact making any conscious sacrifices? Are there any other things you might, perhaps more profitably, be doing with your time, if you weren't doing all that exercising?

I'm not criticising you, you understand - your choices are perfectly valid - just interested.
snow report
Hurtle, i want 5 more years in the old peoples home pi$$ing my pants...

okbye
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy