Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Training for the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone who, like me, goes for 2-3 weeks per year actually bother with ski/boarding specific training other than the occasional trip to the gym when they can't find anyone to go to the pub with? Does it make that much difference to the recreational skier?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-01-10 2:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John, I found that I was the last person standing this year after running regularly for a year. My legs hardly ever ached/ burned and I could have carried on if the lifts hadnt closed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John, I ski 3-4 weeks a year. I was running into major fitness limitations 4 years ago - and one of the first things I asked for advice on snowHeads (under a different username) was precisely this issue.

I now MTB 2-3 x a week, rowing Machine and Skier's edge when I can be bothered. It has made a huge difference to what I can do off-piste,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee, I was the same last year, I'd done lots of running training particularly in the months leading up to skiing and found it to be an enormous benefit.

Also, a small group of us did a few classes of "Khai Bo" at our gym; its basically a combination of aerobics and kick boxing techniques. Really, really good for strengthening the thighs and quads, that was a great help too. As a consequence we were on first lifts in the morning and stayed on the slopes almost through to last lifts, which I'd never felt able to do before. Same training regime is underway for this year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A lot of cycling will make for far better stamina and strength on those thigh burn moments. Also, swimming helps keep the upper body in shape.

If there's something you enjoy doing then it's probably worth ramping it up towards a trip away.

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the returns to exercise depend on how inactive you are to start with. If you rarely do anything, then just 15 - 20 minutes each day doing squats and lunges will make a difference. For 4 - 6 weeks before you go. Obviously cycling etc will be even better. No need to go to the gym, really.

If you get thigh burn a lot you are probably sitting back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I am a big fan of the Indo Board - I snowboard - and use it most days in the gym, its fun and definitely helps your balance and posture as it helps you center on the board, makes your core work and keep your shoulders back. You can do lots of crazy stuff on it.
http://youtube.com/v/pMqxHMLDYOE I like throwing kettle bells whilst on it or or doing squats with a bar - advanced - I've been working on the indo for a year or so now most days.

Walking (deep) lunges are unbelievably great - carry some weights in your hands (or a weights vest if your gym has one) and again, keep the shoulders back. You'll be thankful when you have to hike with a pack carrying your skis or board. Keep upping the weights. Better than competing with your mates on who can squat the most weight - walking you do every day and its builds stability. I rekon with my board on my back and heavy pack of high mountain gear, food, water and so on - I also use an ABS on some days and man they are heavy)- easily adds 15-20K and 20K is a LOT at altitude. Its a lot in the local gym too.

Those strange Power Plate things are not just for ladies bottoms, jump on and off them facing them and sideways into and out of a deep squat (you can also use the Indo Board on them for squats too but get help when you get on the board). Jumping generally s great, jump on and off anything that will destabilize you - BOSUs are good, get two with the round side up and jump from one to another, perhaps with a box in the way to make you jump higher and jump properly. A weights vest again can take you to a higher level of exertion - remember all your gear weights a lot. Simply getting a ribbon and placing it on the ground a 1m in front of you and jumping over it, into a deep squat and then gradually moving the ribbon further forward is good as it builds strength and stability.

Stand on one leg. Do one legged squats. Sit on a char and stand up onto one leg keeping the other off the ground and sit down again. Repeat. Lots.

Destabilization and good posture is a key to make your core stronger and to get it to naturally turn on. Pumping iron on a stable ground can build muscle but for skiing and boarding you want to be stable on unstable ground whilst exerting your muscles and don't need big weights. I recently saw a skiier use one of those long foam back/muscle rollers you can also get pre-cut in 1/2 - i.e. all the way down the middle so you are left with two long semi circular "tubes". Stand on them like skis with the flat side up and drop into skier "squats" and build up your stamina. Use a vest or hold some weights. Imagine you're skiing down a steep fall line with lovely pow and get a rhythm up...

You'll find a awful lot of stuff on youtube, look at crossfit training vids for ideas (and of course Indo boards wink be creative. join a gym, get a PT, walk more, cycle, run - all will help of course.

If all else fails, check the weather forecast and if its looking good for the next day, don't get lashed before a big day, you ride so much better!

Colin.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 22-01-10 7:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colincrist, blimey, I feel exhausted just reading that lot.
Welcome to snowHeads.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
colincrist, does switching to wine for the 4 weeks prior count?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
colincrist, does switching to wine for the 4 weeks prior count?

No, you need a constant background level of wine all year round.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Sit on a char and stand up onto one leg keeping the other off the ground and sit down again. Repeat. Lots.

colincrist, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You must have an unusually quiescent char. I find that these days you just can't get that class of servant.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been using a Swissball as my chair at my desk at home. It's really good fun bouncing up and down, and when I have a quiet moment I can practice my balance sitting, by lifting my feet off the floor. It does wonders for my lower back, keeping everything toned and mobile.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Normally start about training about 4 weeks beforehand with the addition of croissants for breakfast, a shot of genepe with my morning coffee, I add chips and a pint to my lunch, got the boss to agree to me slipping out about 4pm everyday for a pint and in the evening no less than a bottle of wine. Being doing this consistently every year for 4 weeks before skiing and find it works.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
core exercises are good and there are many you can do at home if the gym isnt your thing. even elevating your heart rate for 20mins a day will see a big difference in your fitness and stamina levels. going up and down the staircase is good, or using the bottom step. you could also try, whilst sitting at your desk, back straight and tensing and releasing your stomach muscles; this will help your core.

try doing the plank, and some squat exercises at home which will strengthen your core and your legs. Even worth doing some push ups and tricep exercises to help with the long drag lifts and the flats where you have to use your poles a bit more

sounds daft too, but the more exercise you do, the more energised you feel too, so getting up at the crack of dawn becomes easier too....ish!

oh and dont forget to get in training for the drinking part of the holiday - if you cant drink until the early hours and still get up and ski, you havent done enough training!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I cycle to work everyday and play netball twice a week and I faired a bit better than everyone else who was complaining of sore legs.
latest report
i've said it before and i'll say it again....get down to the gym, squat till you puke (and i mean hips to at least parallel with the patella...anything less is a partial squat and therefore useless).....then get up and squat some more......why spend thousands of pounds on ski trips and not have yourself in prime condition to get the most out of it...i.e. stronger legs = more time on the slopes running at 100% and quicker recovery time....INRS.....

okbye
snow conditions
colincrist, nice first post! I like it Very Happy

I already do a bit of what you mention - but there are quite a few exercises in there that I intend on stealing!

I also agree 100% that destabilisation is critical to getting the most out of our training. I'm a recent convert to all those funny shaped training aids (Bosu balls, etc.) - but I've noticed a considerable difference - not just for skiing, but when windsurfing/mountain biking too.
ski holidays
Dr John, Do ski lessons before you go. The better you are technically the less effort you need to apply.

Other than that I find hill walking & indoor climbing does the trick for me.
ski holidays
I was looking for this last night, some useful stuff in here.

http://messageforge.org/colin/GBSnowWorkout.doc
ski holidays
Good lord, some people do take this very seriously.

snowpatrol, it's a holiday mate, not the fecking olympics or a "Who's got the hairiest chest" competition.

david@mediacopy, thanks for that, in 20 years of skiing it had never occurred to me...

thefatcontroller, sounds like you and me will be in tip top race condition.
latest report
guess everyone wants different things out of a ski holiday! probably the most important thing to realise about skiing is that it IS a sport and going from doing nothing for 51 weeks of the year to spending 1 week of physical exertion will not only make you ache but is very likely to end in an injury of some sort.

A little bit of preparation goes a long way
snow report
Dr John,.... Laughing..... you asked the question $h!t for brains.......and its only a holiday between lifts closing and lifts opening....but your response is typically british...that is why 99% of brit skiers are an embarrassment.....

okbye
snow conditions
Quote:

A little bit of preparation goes a long way

yes it does, and the older you are the more important it is. Some posters above are evidently super fit and do strenuous hiking, carrying snowboards, etc etc. Most of us aren't, and don't, but I've had several friends come here to stay who've been really hampered by their complete lack of both fitness and leg strength. It's meant they've not been able to ski a whole day - or sometimes even half a day, and when you've spent a lot of money, that's a bit of a waste. they all really regret it, and decide to do a bit of preparation next year, and then...... Puzzled

(truth to tell, some of them have been overweight too, though I'm sure the OP isn't!)
ski holidays
snowpatrol, oh dear, is that as far as your debating skill extend? If everyone doesn't completely agree with your line of thinking you start swearing? What are you, 12?

Lighten up, read the other posts to judge the tone. It's a great little thread with some extremely useful advice and some good banter. Then you join in...
snow conditions
Laughing ....i don't see any swearing amigo..... and like i said.....you asked the question..... which incidentally, is pretty retarded.....anyone who has to ask if training will make any difference to the recreational skier must be a retard....

okbye
snow conditions
pam w, you are right. there would be nothing worse than not being able to ski for the whole week due to an injury which could have been avoided. By no means do you need to be superfit to ski but it does help. At 28 i have no excuse but to be able to ski all day and party all night but doing both is getting harder! Also, the better you get at skiing, the more challenging runs you are likely to go on and so the level of fitness required to be able to sustain hard and fast reds or steep blacks with mogul fields becomes greater

snowpatrol, im not sure i agree with your sentiment that british skiiers are an embarrasment because they dont appreciate the fitness required to ski - skiing is as much about enjoying oneslelf as it is hammering every piste and people have different priorities. I am sure there are just as many other nationalities who dont train prior to skiing!

30mins a day of general cardio / stretches for the next few weeks should be fine
snow report
Dr John wrote:
david@mediacopy, thanks for that, in 20 years of skiing it had never occurred to me...

Glad to help. That will be £50 please NehNeh
snow conditions
papillion_rouge, you are correct...i did not mean to say the brits are $h!t skiers purely because of lack of fitness....there are many many reasons for this......

okbye
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowpatrol, seriously mate, step away from the keyboard and run along home now, it's time for your tea.
snow report
snowpatrol, very amusing! whilst i cannot defend the skiing prowess of the brits, if you ever fancy a REAL challenge, intrinsic to any good ski holiday but one which most europeans seem to be truly abysmal at, give me a yell and id be happy to show you how to drink PROPERLY wink
snow conditions
Dr John, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

papillion_rouge,i'm irish....i'll take that challenge ANYTIME!!!!

okbye
snow conditions
quality snowpatrol, im welsh so it would be interesting!! Very Happy
snow report
snowpatrol said "i've said it before and i'll say it again....get down to the gym, squat till you puke (and i mean hips to at least parallel with the patella...anything less is a partial squat and therefore useless).....then get up and squat some more......why spend thousands of pounds on ski trips and not have yourself in prime condition to get the most out of it...i.e. stronger legs = more time on the slopes running at 100% and quicker recovery time....INRS....."

There are quite a lot of conflicting reports re. safety of the loaded squat kicking about. my personal experience is that i was warned off squatting( loaded ) beyond ninety degrees.
By an excellent sports physio (he worked for a former premiership football club as well as the NHS ).when asked why he said "ye'll fook yer knees up even more laddie".
He was a scots chap and a bit fierce!!
Any how be a touch circumspect about this exercise if your knees are not 100%, and if you've never been shown how to do it correctly get someone qualified to teach you.
P.S, just as an aside i believe that this particular exercise has been banned in the U,S, Army for some years due to their belief that it's inherently unsafe.
P.P.S if you are talking about unloaded squats then i apologise in advance for my cheek.

Geoff
snow report
Quote:

anything less is a partial squat and therefore useless

Disagree massively!! When training for skiing you want the training to be as specific as possible. Deep (>90 deg) squats are not done very often when skiing, whereas when skiing you do loads of partial squats (half squat to just short of fully extended), on an unstable platform with different loading on each leg. Therefore, your training should replicate this, so 1 leg squats, lateral squats and lunges using BOSUs and wobble boards as appropriate are IMHO better for skiing than heavy loaded deep squats.
[quote]
As I understand it, the deep part of the squat hits the hams & glutes more than the quads - which are important for sure, but these can be targeted using another ski-specific exercise, 1 leg romanian deadlifts, with more tie in to skiing and less risk to your knees
snow conditions
geoffkay,no i am not talking about unloaded squats...my mates and i squat (full squat i.e. hips to parallel or more) 2-2.5 times bodyweight regularly...this is along with 2.5-3 x bodyweight deadlifts...and this is with a patella which was cracked wide open in a rugby game and which has been wired together (this is not a boast..i am merely stating that my knees are not affected adversely through squatting)...one of the guys we train with is in the irish olympic lifting team and he instructs us so i am in the hands of an expert......i have heard this bs many many times before....it is unqualified and unknowlegeable trainers who are the problem, not the actual exercise...just to put you in the picture...you can become a qualified personal trainer after completing a two week course, so this might put it into perspective...with so many muppets about, it is no wonder there are injuries in the gym...this is a sore point with me and i dont want to get carried away and start ranting, so i'd like to refer you to a guy called mark rippetoe...google him and you will be inundated with a plethora of expert advice on the squat, deadlift, snatch and clean....the only exercises worth doing....

okbye
snow conditions
I'd suggest activities that promote core stability, for example, Pilates or Yoga as well as straight cardio-vascular exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga
snow report
gra,i understand your thinking... but nonetheless... you are talking bull$hit....for leg strength, partial squats are useless......for full contraction and stretching of the hamstrings..for engagement of the adductors and stabilisers and for maximum contraction and extension of the quads the full range of motion exercise must be performed...i.e. full squats...next time you do your girlie partials, see what effect they are having on your knees...when you do a partial squat your patella is not being held in place as efficiently as with the full squat...too much stress is being placed on the knee, leading to injury...i bet you wear gloves in the gym too? i hope they match your purse...and you do arm curls as well i bet...fag...

okbye
latest report
This is all interesting - but seriously for the people who just cruise pisted runs all day its irrelevant surely?

After all my mum was doing this a few weeks back - she's 73 and has just had both knees replaced and had no issues.

Let's not forget many people are happy just doing that and why shouldn't they be - its their holiday.

For anything a bit more serious then yes I would agree that some form of excercise is required.
snow conditions
Boris, I'd rather be drinking wine that squatting till I puked. You with me?
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, I think we can combine some deep squats and thrusting with wine drinking Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy