Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Helmets on school trips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
laundryman, I see you have got the point, at one time of course people didn't need to wear seat belts or crash helmets on the road, times change
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just had a reread of the Hagel study, the first time I read it I didn't find the statistics convincing for some reason, now when I reread it I find it better constructed and analysed than I originally thought.

PG, you are right, the evidence supporting the reduction in head injuries, and serious head injuries, is stronger than the evidence for the increase in neck injuries. As far as I know there are no other relevant trials on this exact subject.

Based on this rethink, I would change my position to say that wearing a helmet probably does protect you from head injuries, with an unknown risk of an increase in neck injuries.

I'm still not quite sure what my position on the issue of public safety versus personal freedom is. As a member of the BMA I should be in favour of banning boxing, and I agree that that would be the healthy thing to do, but on a personal level, I still admire the bravery and spectacle of a professional fight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer wrote:
Based on this rethink, I would change my position to say that wearing a helmet probably does protect you from head injuries, with an unknown risk of an increase in neck injuries.

I'm still not quite sure what my position on the issue of public safety versus personal freedom is. As a member of the BMA I should be in favour of banning boxing, and I agree that that would be the healthy thing to do, but on a personal level, I still admire the bravery and spectacle of a professional fight.

Good stuff, I'll keep wearing mine.

I have no doubt that wearing a helmet should be voluntary for adult skiers. Apart from anything else, we shouldn't mess with Darwinian selection. Kids, 'though, should certainly be encouraged if not obliged to wear them, and I'm surprised that schools don't make them compulsory.

Boxing, too, should be voluntary; I see no good reason to force people to fight each other except that it would provide great entertainment.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 8-03-05 16:59; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not appeal to a wish to be different ...not the same as the beginners?
You mentioned she was an experienced skier ...unlike her friends. Justifying the helmet to her...and her friends ...because she is so much better and able to ski the really difficult slopes at a decent speed is a more positive reason for wearing a helmet . It has worked with my kids ...they see the helmet as an indication that they are realy good skiers ( and yes we do encourage them to watch ski sunday and what they wear!) Position it as when the others get good they will be able to graduate to a helmet too!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richmond, I agree about children. I think the question of whether it should be compulsory for adolescents is a far more difficult one. I guess that it comes down to the point at which we decided that it is ok for our kids (theoretical ones in my case), to make their own decisions based on risk assessments.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, when you're not paying for their skiing hols and their medical insurance, ferrying them to hospitals and having your house turned into a casualty ward, presumably. In practice, I think that kids who have grown up with helmets will continue to wear them into adulthood, especially if they've turned into enthusiastic skiers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, I guess that in most cases, theoretical children will always be easier to bring up than the real ones.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having had the pleasure Puzzled of instructing several school groups in Europe over the last couple of years I am amazed that helmets are not compulsary. Minor head injuries are quite common, bumps or cuts, although I have not seen any serious head injuries and would not wish to. As yet I have only seen one pupil wear a helmet and that was at the insistence of their parents. Only when the insurance industry insists upon the school groups to ensure that the pupils have helmets, will the situation change.
On a personal level I do not wear an helmet, but when skiing with friends and relatives children insist that they wear them.
A question for all.
Should an instuctor wear a helmet, as an example to their pupils?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Should an instuctor wear a helmet, as an example to their pupils?

Yes when dealing with young kids travelling at speed, not so vital on the nursery slope where hearing might be more important than head protection
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Should an instructor wear a helmet, as an example to their pupils?

Yes,lead by example.Sorry DGO,cant really go along with the 'hearing' thing.Myself,and two of the kids,wear full helmets.Never noticed any communication problems.Wife wears a Giro,we can always hear her screaming Shocked wink Whilst it may be OK(for the instructor)on the nursery slopes,do you not think this may send out the wrong message? i.e.You only need a helmet 'some of the time'?On the increasingly crowded pistes,I believe you need one all the time.I've never lived in fear of a fall;but I do fear the loonies around me(and the kids)A helmet is one of the very few practical means of gaining some protection.As PG very recently put it,"better a scratch on a 75euro helmet,than my head".
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowskisnow, actually no I don't think it sends the wrong message but perhaps it depends on the nursery slopes, let me give an example, in Wengen the youngest kids learn to ski on an almost flat area that is away from the main slope, on this slope wearing a helmet provides no significant protection as any possible impacts will be at very very low speeds, however on the main nursery slope where there are a mix of people I'd say a helmet should be worn as speeds are higher and thefore potential accidents will be more serious, it's a close call however and would very much depend on the situation, however I can see your point that an instructor not wearing a helmet at all times encorages the kids to do the same
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure of the benefit of children wearing rental/hand me downs/borrowed helmets if the sights I saw (mainly in Contina) last week was anything to go by.

Helmets:
that did not fit correctly (too big),
were worn incorrectly (so high on the forehead that chinstraps could almost be clewed),
that were dropped and/or kicked.

I am convinced of the benefits of children wearing helmets whist skiing or boarding, I am also convinced (like Kramer) that I should wear one when I'm sking hard & fast.

But the helmet should be a known 'good one', eg you should know it's history.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scud wrote:

Helmets:
that did not fit correctly (too big),
were worn incorrectly (so high on the forehead that chinstraps could almost be clewed),
that were dropped and/or kicked.

Know what you mean.The reality is that,whilst we do what we can for ourselves & our kids,there's not much we can do to help total strangers.Any advise given is,often,not welcome Confused I think we all know,only too well,the disregard some parents have for their offspring's wellbeing.The fact that 'they' are on a skiing holiday will do little to alter the mindset.Sad but,unfortunately,true.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy