Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

smoking ban austria

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone with current knowledge on the smoking ban in Austria. Have experienced the partial ban a couple of years ago, but it seemed ineffectual. Any progress??

Liz and Ian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In general smoking in restaurants is bannned, but there are exceptions. If the Restaurant has a more than one room then one of the rooms can be used as a smoking room, or if the restaurant is smaller than 50 sq. m then the owner can decide for himself whether he wants his bar to be a non smoking area or not. Why 50 sq m Puzzled

Quote from the German wikipedia:

In Betrieben mit mehreren der Bewirtung der Gäste dienenden Räumen dürfen Räume eingerichtet werden, in denen das Rauchen gestattet werden darf („Raucherzimmer“). Dieser Raucherbereich darf maximal 50 % der für den Genuss von Speisen oder Getränken bestimmten Plätze umfassen, es darf sich dabei nicht um den „Hauptraum“ des für die Konsumation der Gäste vorgesehenen Bereichs handeln, und der Inhaber hat durch technische und organisatorische Maßnahmen sicherzustellen, dass der Tabakrauch nicht in die übrigen, mit Rauchverbot belegten Räume dringt. Eine Verpflichtung, das Rauchen in seinem Betrieb zu gestatten besteht für den Gastwirt nicht.
In Lokalen, in denen nur ein Gastraum zur Verfügung steht dessen Grundfläche weniger als 50 m² beträgt kann der Inhaber selbst entscheiden, ob das Rauchen gestattet wird, oder nicht. Diese Widmung ist mit einem Aufkleber im Eingangsbereich deutlich sichtbar zu machen. Die 50-m²-Grenze erhöht sich auf 80 m² wenn bauliche Maßnahmen zur Raumteilung aus rechtlichen Gründen (z. B. baurechtlichen, feuerpolizeilichen, denkmalschutzrechtlichen) unzulässig sind.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steilhang wrote:
In general smoking in restaurants is bannned, but there are exceptions. If the Restaurant has a more than one room then one of the rooms can be used as a smoking room, or if the restaurant is smaller than 50 sq. m then the owner can decide for himself whether he wants his bar to be a non smoking area or not. Why 50 sq m Puzzled

So what happens in practice? the year the ban was introduced in Italy I was in Cervinia as was quite surprised to see the Italians queuing up outside the bars to smoke their fags.. Nothing I hated more on my St. Anton trip to be setting in the rendl beach cafe and to have a noxious blast of smoke coming my way.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in Solden last month and can only comment on the Hotel I stayed in, and bars in general, as I did not visit any restaurants as such. From what I could see there seemed to be no restrictions on smoking other than in the Hotel dining room. I'm a smoker, and 9 times out of 10, I went outside for my fix.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
season ski, if you are used to having no smoking areas, then you will notice that in some bars and restaurants there is some smoking. I'm not 100% sure of the regulations in Austria, but what I have noticed is a marked DECREASE in the amount of smoking taking place inside restaurants and bars. Lots of smokers seem to leave and smoke outside.

Friends have told me that the rules are being gradually changed and that enforcement is incremental, with stricter rules being introduced later this year. It is a compromise situation, but certainly seems to be less controversial than blanket restrictions. I spent New Year's Eve in a mountain hut-type restaurant, certainly less than 50 sq.metres in size and was not aware of having a heavy smoky atmosphere. When my neighbour at the next table lit up, I looked around to see if any others were smoking, before asking her to please at least wait until I had finished eating. She was the only person smoking at the tables in a packed restaurant, a few were smoking at the bar, most seemed to be popping out for their fix!

Compared to a couple of years ago it is really noticeable how much the number of people smoking in public places has decreased. I was with Timberwolf, in Sölden last month and can confirm, that although in a bar where smoking was allowed, there was not much going on. I noticed it though as I am a non-smoker (call it the fanaticism of the converted if you like rolling eyes ) I suppose if you are used to places where smokers are treated as criminals though, then it may be a bit more excessive. wink In the bar of the hotel (Am Hof) though it was excessive and for me, unpleasant. But the smokers were mostly Danes (very very drunk) and locals, who were obviously regulars.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a slight change, a few more places which have opted for the ban, but by and large it is still one of the last bastions of smoking.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your responses, much appreciated. I guess it will be phased in gradually, I do enjoy going out and not smelling of smoke. I makes me feel a whole lot happier. Sorry smokers I know you have to brave the cold.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't say I noticed any difference in Hintertux at the beginning of December but a difference can't come soon enough as far as I am concerned. The whole magical ambience of skiing in Austria is spoiled as soon as you enter a bar/restaurant and get a faceful of cigarette smoke.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spannagelhaus at Hintertux is pretty much non smoking! Nice old hut too, 100 years old in 2008 and good food Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
just back from Ischgl and smoking seemed compulsorary in all bars and restauarants
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from Bad Hofgastein, apart from being the resort now being full of Russians, the Smoking situation is not a welcome addition to the skiing experience. Yes, if the venue is under 50m2, then its down to the operators discretion. Its about time the UK Ski operators started to put pressure on Austria Ski to get this situation in line with the rest of Europe. Alternatively, walk with your euro and take our collective business to a non smoking Ski country. If the French and Italiens can ban it, then anyone can!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think red27 is right, if you don't I think you risk having your lift pass confiscated
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is no outright Smoking Ban Austria.

There is an option for Bars.

For Restaurants , they have to provide a non smoking area.

Alot of restaurants have refurbished & now do not allow it . Mountain Huts apply there own rules

Basically if it effects business then they will allow smoking.

However, This is all set to change to next season ......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
While restaurants have to provide a non-smoking area, my experience last week was that there is often no full barrier between the smoking and non-smoking areas, so you quite often have smoke and smells drifting into the supposedly non-smoking area.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just got back from schladming town from a few beers and I stink of smoke! The half arsed smoking ban is nonsense. There are a few more restaurants and mountain huts with partial non smoking than previous years but generally it's still bloody smokey. Personally think the argument that banning smoking affects the business is wrong as I for one would spend more time and money in bars / restaurants if I could breathe for longer. At least it snowed a bit today.
latest report
All the mountain huts are smokey - can hardly see the other side of the hut its that thick! They love to smoke over here!
ski holidays
alex_heney, I noticed last year in Passo Tonale that there were signs of the smoking ban breaking down. In a couple of hotels, smoking rooms had appeared right next to the bar or restaurant and without proper ventilation the smoke was just drifting across whenever the door was opened.

As the T.O.'s used one of these hotels as a meeting\focal point, if enough folks complained I'm sure pressure could be brought to the hotelier to buck his ideas up.
snow conditions
Back from Zell am Ziller and every bar that we went in was so bad that they had a visible layer of smoke hanging at head height. Seemed like we were the only people not smoking in there. Can't comment on the restaurants as we ate in the Hotel.

The Hotel restaurant was no smoking but the bar area. All of the mountain huts that we went in were chock full of smokers.

They really love to smoke and I really hate smelling of smoke - not a good combo!
snow conditions
Clive wrote:
alex_heney, I noticed last year in Passo Tonale that there were signs of the smoking ban breaking down. In a couple of hotels, smoking rooms had appeared right next to the bar or restaurant and without proper ventilation the smoke was just drifting across whenever the door was opened.

Yes a bit like having a "peeing area" in a public swimming bath.
snow conditions
I know this is not Austria however of interest

Bavaria (Germany) voted yesterday for NO SMOKING

Smoking will be banned in all pubs, restaurants and beer tents (Oktoberfest), without exception.

The Ban will start On August 1st !!!

This is now likely to set a precedent for the whole country where some states have been using certain loopholes to continue smoking.

http://www.focus.de/panorama/vermischtes/rauchverbot-in-bayern-hoffen-und-bangen-um-ein-bundesweites-rauchverbot_aid_527057.html

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20100705-28293.html

There already has been a knock on effect in Austria for a Referendum on a complete ban.

http://kurier.at/nachrichten/2014190.php
snow report
stanton, don't be so certain just yet as the "Nein" group (No to a strict total ban) who lost the referendum have indicated that they MAY appeal the result, although a resounding 61% voted in favour of a total ban the actual number polling in total was only 37%. Whether they actually do or get anywhere once they decide to appeal is questionable to say the least, but some very powerful lobbying pro-smoking/freedom by vested interests has been going on in the run up to the referendum.

Me, I'm looking forward to not having to hang my Oktoberfest clothing outside for a week before I dare to bring it into the flat! This year's Oktoberfest will be total non-smoking in the Beer Tents but allowed outside in the beer gardens. There will be no fines or penalties this year but next year they will be strictly enforced, unless the Bavarian government crumble again under pressure from the Weisenwirte! rolling eyes
snow report
Samerberg Sue, To all intents and purpose it is a done vote & the ban will come into effect.

The turnout was probably low because they were still recovering from beating the Argentinians Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 6-07-10 15:46; edited 2 times in total
latest report
stanton, sorry but I think what you meant to write was "TO all intents and purpose" If you are going to use English idiom, try and get it right. rolling eyes

I'm not so sure as the lobbying weight HERE in Bavaria of the hotel and restaurant owners is extremely powerful. The people who run the Oktoberfest tents were able to exert enough power to get themselves excluded from the original all-encompassing ban for the first 2 years and by then the combined power of the lobby groups for tobacco and hoteliers/bar owners had managed to make the CSU so unsure of their position that they weakened what was originally an extremely simple but strong rule. This is why we had a petition action last year in November to force the Bavarian state government to either re-instate the old rules in full or to ask the populace what they wanted. The Bavarian government actually bottled and left it "for the people of the Free State of Bavaria" to decide.

The vote was last Sunday and it was fairly well promoted with the voting available from 09:00 to 17:00. I think even the most hungover fan would have had the chance to vote by then had they wanted to.

As for it being a done deal - hmmmmmmm I think I'll wait on that one. I've seen a number of laws supposedly ground breaking in their intent fop in Bavaria when the powers that be realise that the knock on effects may just hit their wallets harder than they think! Remember this is the bastion of conservative catholic landowners who like to keep their pennies well hidden (preferably in Switzerland or Liechtenstein Toofy Grin ).

but then again i may be being too cynical for my own good! I will enjoy the smoke free environments while I can though! Like I did last time!! Laughing
snow conditions
Having been to Austria in April/May there didn't appear to be any smoking ban............the bar in the hotel was very smokey!!!!
snow conditions
alexchapman, the first step in the Austrian legislation came into force either 1st June or 1st July, I can't quite remember which. It comes down to the size of the establishment - over a certain size distinct and separate areas have to be available. Under a certain size then they only have to provide a suitable form of ventilation. It is then up to the punters as to whether they wish to remain a client or not!

All the new builds I used last year had been designed with this legislation and the future steps along the road in mind. What they are trying to avoid is a draconian imposition that results in either the setting up of private smoking clubs (as happened here in Bavaria) or total closure of village bars and Gasthofs due to a dramatic loss of clientèle over the whole year.

Believe it or not the amount of public smoking has reduced considerably in both Germany and Austria.

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The details of what Samerberg Sue explains are that establishments of over 50 sq. metres must provide separate smoking room(s) (exceptions can be allowed for buildings which cannot be changed, for example because changes might damage a historical structure). The legislation came into force on 1st July.
latest report
I went to the Altenmarkt Sommer fest at the weekend....
Massive Oktoberfest styled tents... smoking was allowed...

IMO they won't bother enforcing anything out here...
snow report
The new law in complex. Already there are calls for a referendum (although not binding in Austria) in the Autumn.

http://www.wienerzeitung.at/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5299&Alias=Dossiers&cob=505786

Facebook Campaign for referendum

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=207474724730#!/group.php?gid=207474724730&v=info
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, espri, The Wiesenwirte have just announced (yesterday) that this year's Octoberfest will be the first one where NO smoking will be allowed inside the Beer Tents. They had an exception given to them for this year, but they have decided to introduce it a year early.

My local Fest (Rosenheimer Herbstfest) is going to be a non-smoking event i.e. no smoking inside the tents. The beer gardens around the tents will have dedicated smoker areas and I assume this is what will happen to the Munich tents.

The Wiesenwirte are saying that if you smoke inside the tents you will not be able to drink, which rather defeats the purpose of being in there! The problem is for them how do they cope with managing numbers inside the tents - on popular days the tents operate a "lock-in" which means if you leave your place to go for a smoke, currently you cannot get back in!

The new non-smoking legislation has a transition period when no draconian measures are taken against the licensees, but will as of a certain date.

The referendum we had here in Bavaria is legally binding, not the same in Austria although the strength of opinion will go a long way to showing the politicians which way the "wind is blowing" Laughing
latest report
I think it will be enforced when everyone know the pirameters. Its still wishy washy even though it came in on 1st July. The fines are 10,000e for the owner of the establishment and 1000e for the smoker. Good revenue !!!!!
ski holidays
Was out in a Viennese bar last night, a bar which is normally filled with smoke. It was great to sit there without people puffing away. Some smokers were obviously feeling the strain as they had unlit cigarettes in their hands. Cool
snow report
DB wrote:
Some smokers were obviously feeling the strain as they had unlit cigarettes in their hands. Cool

Just shows how ill they really are Sad
snow report
DB wrote:
Was out in a Viennese bar last night, a bar which is normally filled with smoke. It was great to sit there without people puffing away. Some smokers were obviously feeling the strain as they had unlit cigarettes in their hands. Cool

Snap!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 2-08-10 20:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The strict rules came into power yesterday in Bavaria - smoke-free in the local pub last night! There are the usual reports of some poor bar owners already going to the wall (must have been pre-smoking ban problems then! A lot of talk about revolts and counter claims about restriction to trade etc., but this time I don't think there will be any changes or modifications. That's what happened before and ended up with the Referendum forcing the strict rules back in.

Apparently many of the provincial governments in Austria are looking with interest at how it pans out here with a view to tightening up the somewhat vaguer rules on their side of the fence!

I'm looking forward to drinking in my hotel bar tonight as it was previously a real smoker's den. I neither ate nor drank there before as it was just so uncomfortable and stank.
snow conditions
For the sake of accuracy, I should correct the statement I made in an earlier posting: in Austria it is pubs/restaurants over 80 sq. metres that have to provide (if wished) a smoking room separated from the non-smoking area.
snow report
any news on the smoking in austria. has it reduced the smoking? .
ski holidays
I was in Zell am See in April, and unless the legislation has changed since then people are still smoking in bars/clubs.
snow conditions
Leeds_Skier, do read the thread - the law came into effect on July 1st 2010. Toofy Grin

I was in a very small mountain restaurant with Espri and some of our friends last night and whilst people did smoke, the number smoking was very small indeed. My sister, along with some of the others opted to go outside to smoke. I think although the law is not as draconian as some, it has heightened awareness amongst smokers and those intelligent enough to realise the fact that there smoke spoils the meals of others now opt either to wait or to go outside. There is also the feeling that unless a degree of compromise comes into their behaviour, that they will find themselves forced outside.

Having enjoyed a summer of smoke-free restaurants, bars and Gasthofs, even my German friends were "super-sensitive" to the smoke which made me laugh quietly to myself. They used to mock me (in a friendly way) about my "super-sensitivity" to tobacco smoke in the beerkellers, etc! Schadenfreude is sometimes a very sweet thing Laughing
snow conditions
Law only came in to stop smoking in restaurants and not bars/clubs some places are following some are, i find quite amazing that only two years ago you could still smoke in pubs and clubs in the UK, yet brits never stop complaining about it as if it had never happened in their own country.
ski holidays
Richiavo, here here! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy