Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yea!

Poster: A snowHead
Just wanted to share my celebration with my snowHead friends: I passed my level II teaching exam yesterday, so will have my silver pin as soon as I document a silver NASTAR medal and get that to PSIA-RM. I'm excited; I feel like it is a great accomplishment for me, especially given that I've only been a (very parttime) "pro" instructor since last December!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ssh, Congratulations! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead Level II is a great accomplishment!

Hopefully one day I'll be in the same position - I started as an instructor at Squaw last Thursday, and sent in my PSIA - W membership yesterday. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pollittcl, congrats to you, too! Will you be taking your Level I this spring? Let me know if I can help with any of it! I'd suggest spending a fair amount of time over at EpicSki to learn a lot of the PSIA stuff (and ask questions of some great instructors, including examiners).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, Congratulations to you both! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Are you going to do a European training tour? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh, congratulations. What did you have to do for the exam?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ssh, & pollittcl, well done, both of you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most excellent, Well done!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssh & pollittcl - congrats to both of you!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson, that's being talked about!

Well done pollittcl!
ssh, I don't want to discuss my part in you getting your exams, but just remember, you ARE a good skier! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh, Hopefully I'll take Level I in early April - it's going to be a bit of a rush!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssh, pollittcl, Great stuff - well done.

While you're all talking about instructor exams I wondered if any of you have any advice about getting your 70hrs BASI teaching experience!! I did my 'Foundation Course' in Tigne in November for Telemark and now need to get 70 hours 'shadowing' before doing the Tech & Teching courses to get the 'Instructor Ticket' (I guess equive of Grade III Alpine). Anyone any advise, or know of any BASI instructors who would take someone for shadowing around the Chamonix / Megeve area?

I know that some people have had some hastle with the French Authoraties doing just this (In Megeve in fact!) as the rules in France are rather, shall we say restrictive wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well done, both of you! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Congrats ssh - I practised the short turn exercises you suggested, and along with some lessons, the short turns are pretty damn good wink
Actually, I did a little off-piste - in the very soft snow. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh,

Well done a real achievement considering what(who) you had to work with. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssh, Very well done Cool Cool Cool & pollittcl, Go for it. Very Happy

telemarkZero, Only one firm has problems in Megeve! What about trying the local ESF? They're bound to have telemark instructors and I'd imagine that in Chamonix they have quite a lot of work. I don't know how this would go with the shadowing, but I should imagine it would be acceptable. (Better check with BASI) . You can get signed on with the local ESF without any bother if you don't want paying, and could learn a lot. that way you wouldn't have any issues with them.
snow report
ssh, pollittcl, I'll join in the chorus of congratulations!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Only one firm has problems in Megeve!

Yes! Didn't want to name names! Certainly don't want to get mixed up in it - I have to live here! I was about to contact them when I found out about their problems

Trying the ESF is a great idea and it would help my French also Very Happy
I'll have to see if BASI and EFS will go for that!

Interestingly Puzzled it looks like BASI are starting to pull out of France a bit with their instructor training - particularly for snowboard and Telemark, and moving to switzerland (Zermat) as France doesn't recognise those as seperate disciplines (Is that right?).
snow conditions
telemarkZero, BASI are going to Zermmat for the spring course. Stated reason is it's cheaper.
ski holidays
ssh,

Congratulations
snow report
telemarkZero, I think there's also an element of Tignes being the armpit of the world, although good ski-ing - what a disgusting place! The French are still very behind about having separate exams for the different disciplines. I can see that there could be an argument for being an Alpine National for the Telemark, but the snowboard stuff is ridiculous. I have a friend who's a trainer for ENSA (snowboard) and his sister (who's in the French World Cup snowboard team) cannot become an instructor because she can't ski well enough, and doesn't actually want to! He's spitting, she's spitting, everyone is furious, but ENSA won't budge at the moment. they'll have to change eventually, but they'll be late and behind the rest of the world. I have another friend who ceremoniously threw his skis in the poubelle the day he passed his Examen Finale, as he's only interested in teaching snowboarding!

However, having said that; I've always found the French (including the ESF) to be very helpful if they think you're serious and willing to play the game. If BASI will accept hours with the ESF, I'm sure the ESF would be only too willing to have you - after all they may then get an native English speaking telemark instructor who they would only pay as a stagiare .............. wink wink wink
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
ssh, I don't want to discuss my part in you getting your exams, but just remember, you ARE a good skier! snowHead
So everyone here can follow this rather obtuse statement, our own Mr. Fox Hat was my "student" for the adult part of the exam. Now, apart from the questionable placement of him as an adult, it was pretty interesting doing movement analysis and creating a lesson plan for someone that I actually know and with whom I had spent a week skiing! Of course, this was a WTFH circa 2003, so he really was a different skier.

I have to admit that when I saw, "Skier 2, Stewart" come up on the video screen I thought, "Oh, no way!" But, there he was, chatting away in that lovely brogue of his... snowHead
snow report
Quote:
But, there he was, chatting away in that lovely brogue of his...

ssh, I hope you told the fox man to get more suitable footware.
snow report
alan empty wrote:
ssh, congratulations. What did you have to do for the exam?
The level II PSIA-Rocky Mountain division exam comprises four parts for 2004/05:

1. Skiing (subdivided into demonstration maneuvers and application)
  2. Written (150 or so questions on skiing, ranging from technical to practical)
  3. Racing (demonstrate a basic level of competence in the course: I raced NASTAR)
  4. Teaching

I had passed the written and skiing last year. I needed to pass the teaching and racing this year (didn't know I had to do the racing until after I had passed the teaching; a bit of an anticlimax at the exam as a result!).

The teaching exam for PSIA-RM comprises viewing video of two "students" per candidate (one adult, one child). The video includes both an interview with the student and video of them skiing. By listening and watching, each candidate builds a lesson plan to identify and then address the students' motivation, understanding, and movement needs. Then, we went on-snow, individually described our observations to the examiner, and then described/demonstrated/explained our "lesson" to our fellow candidates.

Besides WTFH, I had a 6 1/2 year old girl who was a dancer and played many sports (jazz, tap, ballet, Irish step, taught tap to younger kids, played basketball, baseball, soccer, and other sports I can't remember!). All I could think was, "How does she have time to do all that??!"

I had a ton of fun with my lesson for little Erika! We did pliés in our boots, on our skis, and while we turned. She liked hockey stops, so we did those a lot just for fun. I hit a home run with that lesson!

I didn't so as well with Fox, but still did OK. Given that I saw the video at 9am and didn't "teach" him until 3, I felt pretty good about what I remembered. The examiner asked about the flex in his other joints (besides his ankles, which I had described), and I couldn't remember them very well at all. I skipped a couple of drills, too. But, overall, the examiners liked what I did and awarded me with quite high scores. I was very pleased.

On Wednesday, I ran NASTAR. Required medal: Silver. For me, that's a handicap of 32 or better. I skied to a 15 and got a gold. snowHead
snow conditions
pollittcl wrote:
ssh, Hopefully I'll take Level I in early April - it's going to be a bit of a rush!
Get thee to EpicSki. And, get the books. PM me if you need/want details!
snow conditions
ssh, What's NASTAR & how does the handicap system work?
snow report
spyderjon, good question for a non-US skier! wink

Fortunately, it's easily answered on the web: http://www.nastar.com/. And especially here: http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=rules#work.

The short version is that it's the NAtional STAndard Race that uses a handicap system to allow skiers to race anywhere and compare themselves to skiers who have skied elsewhere. Also, since the handicap system is nationwide, NASTAR can hold a national championship based on the results accomplished by skiers across the country. The handicap is the percentage slower than the national pacesetter that each skier would be. Each resort's pacesetter races against all of the others. The fastest is the national pacesetter. Then, they go back to their own resorts and their time minus their handicap determines par. This year's national pacesetter is a relatively unknown racer named Daron Rahlves. So, given my handicap of 15, I am theoretically 15% slower than Daron would have been on that course.
snow report
ssh, only 15% slower - not too shabby, especially as I presume that Daron wouldn't be on RX8's or B5's?. I look forward to seeing some of that form at ESA next year.
latest report
spyderjon, ha! Good point! Yes, I was on the RX8s in the course. It was fun, but the soft snow at the edge of the ruts made it a bit weird. I caught the soft snow outside the rut in the final cross-fall-line gate before the end on both runs. I think the ruts were formed mostly by lower-level skiers (there had been a corporate race earlier in the day), and the better line for those gates was still mostly fluff! I lost a few tenths as a result, I think...

I can't wait to meet you and your's at the ESA. What fun!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh, Thanks for the offer of help, I may take you up on it, but it is more than likely that I'll be taking the exam "in house", if I can find time for the prep clinics. Plus if I hold off, and take Level I early next season it will stop people saying tha I should take Level II by then end of next season - that's what happens when you have friends who are examiners! snowHead
Congratulations on getting your racing Gold - that's the part I'm not looking forward to! Very Happy
latest report
pollittcl, I think that it's possible to get both Level I and Level II in a season if you are teaching and/or clinicing during the season. I took my level I in December '03 and my first shot at level II in late Feb '04. I passed the written and skiing parts of level II then. I could have taken the teaching again later in the season (and probably passed it), but by that point I was no longer employed at a ski resort so I didn't bother.

Honestly, if your skiing is up to level II standards, I'd encourage you to go for it. Level II is a challenge, but not the huge hurdle that level III is for most of us mortals..
latest report
ssh, Having talked to people yesterday who were just back from taking level III at Mammoth, I don't think I'll ever be even attempting it! (8 out of 18 passed, which I'm told is a high pass rate!) Very Happy But then you never know - a year ago I said I'd be quite happy just skiing green runs - famous last words! snowHead
snow report
pollittcl, 8 out of 18 is a high pass rate. Last year here in PSIA-RM, 10% was the pass rate, IIRC! I'm starting to think about whether or not I should start training for level III. I think I will do for the skiing, since it can't help but improve my skiing skills. But, I'll wait to see if the clinicians think I'm ready for the exams before I go.

We had 3 from Copper pass level III this past weekend. I think that the Ski School clinics are going to be your key.

BTW, I think you should get your level I this spring! Twisted Evil
latest report
ssh, belated congrats Smile
Though having read many of your posts and seen how much you care about skiing I have to say I'm not surprised Wink
ski holidays
ssh, maybe in a few days I'll find the time to make a few turns with you again. If you've improved a lot since January, then you may be ready... Laughing
snow report
ssh,
Quote:

BTW, I think you should get your level I this spring!

This seems to be the prevailing thought amongst everyone I know - so I should just bow to the inevitable and get working on it! Very Happy
snow report
pollittcl wrote:
ssh,
Quote:

BTW, I think you should get your level I this spring!

This seems to be the prevailing thought amongst everyone I know - so I should just bow to the inevitable and get working on it! Very Happy
Yep. Frankly, if you can carve a clean uphill arc, I think you'll pass the skiing part. Just study the teaching part (and know the Skier's Responsibility Code!).
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I'll do my best. But, if you go into that tuck again... Shocked Skullie
ski holidays
pollittcl, The pass rate for BASI Grade 1 (the highest) is about 25% on a good day. I'm not sure about Grade 2 and Grade 3 though. Keep on, and never say never.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy