Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester Snow

Poster: A snowHead
In Hyde we had snow all night and by morning there was 12" on top of the wheelie bin that I'd cleared at midnight. Light snow all morning and then a dump from 2.30pm 'till 5ish. Looks like about 16-18" now. Add the snow that was still there from weekend and there's a fair depth.
I keep wondering whether to get the skis out. The local country park has what would be a nice green run down it with a good base thaks to the sledging over weekend. I just can't face the hike back up. Couple of boarders were having fun on it on Sun afternoon before this dump.
X-country skis would have been helpfull this morning when I walked the 3 miles to work. I think the dog would have towed me most of the way; He tried his best to pull me along in boots as it was.

adrian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been skiing today - several laps of our estate. Great fun - going to try again tomorrow (with pictures hopefully) Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Came into Manchester today from 30 miles away in the Peak District (1000 feet above sea level). I'm inclined to think that skiers and other high altitude folk, eg Peak Districters, are a lot more hardy than our cousins in the cities. Various people ringing in all morning to say that transport wasn't running when it clearly was - also an unwillingness to don boots and walk to a bus/train stop rather than shrug shoulders saying 'can't get car off drive'. Anyway, I had a lonely (half) day with none of my Manchester colleagues around, before bizarrely being sent home early from work shortly AFTER it had stopped snowing.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet here - are skiers genuinely more willing/able to get to work in 15 cm snow? Or was my sample size too small?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis, very nice!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It wasn't so much that this city folk wasn't prepared to risk it (cleared the snow from the car in preparation for the drive in), but rather road conditions in to Liverpool were reported as treacherous, public transport also decided to stop or be severely delayed and a 10-12 mile walk to work was not feasible,. I have the (un)fortunate ability to access my work e-mails and work network from home (still not sure that's a good idea Confused ). So I took an executive (ooooohhhh!, executive eh ?) decision to work from home which I managed to do for several hours until the snow got the better of me and I had to don my skis and venture out on the roads Very Happy

I feel vidicated in taking my early decision as some colleagues took over 4hrs to drive 10 miles home this afternoon and we have decided, due to the impending freeze, to allow our staff to work from home if they desire tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
We had about a cm of snow this morning, most of which instantly melted. My 8 year old has just informed me that they didn't play out all day at school as it was too slippery rolling eyes (and no we haven't got sheet ice covering pavements etc like other parts of the country). How much do we reckon that Gov advertising to get us all "moving" cost?

That's ridiculous, when I was in primary the teachers had us lined up for goes on a giant ice slide down the playground! This was only, what, 11, 12 years ago?!?!

Awesome photos Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis Nice photos, Stockton Heath?? Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First Post on Snowheads so bear with me but We need to get back to the skiing thread here.

Left some superb tracks in shin deep light fresh powder in Bollington near Macclesfield this evening. Would have been memorable in 2 weeks time in Les Arcs, never mind Cheshire today. Walking up was better exercise than going to the gym. Now starting to plan this weekend's adventures
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
frozennose, welcome to snowHeads, I couldn't be bothered with the skis today, nothing worth skiing down that wasn't gonna be a pain to get to due to the useless council! So instead I spent the day mucking about on a sledge and bruised my tailbone!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
anotherproblem wrote:
frozennose, welcome to snowHeads, I couldn't be bothered with the skis today, nothing worth skiing down that wasn't gonna be a pain to get to due to the useless council! So instead I spent the day mucking about on a sledge and bruised my tailbone!
The bruises from Saturday and Sunday's sledging convinced me that skiing was a much safer option!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frozennose, yeh, I've not been sledging since I was about 10. I'm now 23, which meant, bigger hills, fighting on the way down and jumps. The fighting wasn't so bad, falling over doesn't hurt so bad. Landing straight back on the sledge off a two foot jump, that bloody hurt. It hurts to sit down Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Liam wrote:
altis Nice photos, Stockton Heath?? Smile

Yep. Here's some more from Mrs A - who has a better eye and a very steady hand. They're all hand-held.

I took some more today but quite a lot has melted and the effect was lost.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
frozennose, Higs, seriously surprised and impressed at finally finding snowHead in my area!

We're thinking of trying to find somewhere to make some turns on Saturday, maybe over Rainow way or something.

Took work home Tuesday night for yesterday but back today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beeorchid, I think to some extent you might be right. I think there are a couple of factors:

1) People who ski have seen this much snow before, and have possibly driven in it but have definitely walked in it, so are less likely to do the 'I have never seen this much snow there is no way I can leave my house' thing. People who ski have also seen and/or experiences the practical ways our alpine friends deal with the snow and so are less likely to let it stop us leaving our houses.
2) People who ski might in general be slightly adventurous, as you would be spending your holiday doing much more sedate things if you didn't have any kind of adventurous spirit.
3) People who ski are more likely to have a collection of suitable clothing/shoes etc. to get out in it
4) Some people who ski have also either worked/lived or spent a lot of time in ski areas and are wondering what all the fuss is about.
5) People who ski can't wait for weekend so they can get out in it properly!

D
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deliaskis, frozennose, I'm t'other end of t'middlewood way, in Marple Wink
latest report
Deliaskis wrote:
frozennose, Higs, seriously surprised and impressed at finally finding snowHead in my area!

We're thinking of trying to find somewhere to make some turns on Saturday, maybe over Rainow way or something.

A long time ago I kept hearing about a rope tow in Wildboarclough - I think it was a guy who'd lashed something together using the winch on his landrover - but I've not heard anything recently.

I'm sure I'll have the skis out again at the w/e but I just tag on with when/where the kids want to go sledging.

I reckon the best ski/board opportunities will be one side or other of Kerridge ridge, Teggs Nose or the Goyt Valley.
ski holidays
Teggs Nose might be a good bet, lots of shortish bits so won't need to spend an hour walking up each time! Kerridge Ridge on the Rainow side would be good going down but not up, it's pretty steep! Although also suspect that frame of reference for the incline will be alter wildly when on/off skis!

Laughing at you bringing up The Legend of the Wildboarclough Rope Tow. It's like a mythical mystical thing.

D
ski holidays
Higs, Deliaskis, Mrs NBT keeps telling me the tale of skiing somewhere in the peak district many years ago although she can't remember exactly where, wildborclough is one of the places that gets mentioned...
latest report
nbt wrote:
Higs, Deliaskis, Mrs NBT keeps telling me the tale of skiing somewhere in the peak district many years ago although she can't remember exactly where, wildborclough is one of the places that gets mentioned...

But I think we've had the same conversation on STW so may just be propogating the myth between ourselves?
latest report
you shouldn't have referred to that, google will find it and destory the illusion Wink
ski holidays
Higs wrote:
nbt wrote:

But I think we've had the same conversation on STW so may just be propogating the myth between ourselves?

But of course, those are the best kind!
ski holidays
Both Rossendale (RIP) and Pendle ski clubs had portable rope tows at one point in history. Not sure what became of them.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, is Rossendale now shut?? When did that happen?
latest report
anotherproblem, Rossendale dry slope is still open, I think Sideshow_Bob means the ski club
ski holidays
nbt, bingo
latest report
Deliaskis, Higs, nbt,

Tales of lifts in the Peaks are true. There is/was a rope tow in Elton above Matlock in the White Peak. In the Dark Peak there is/was a tow off the side of the Snake Pass - that was certainly therewithin the last 10 years as Mrs Frozennose was the planning officer that dealt wit the application for it in a previous life. There was also a tow at Eldon Hill above Winnats Pass and there used to be portable at Edale but I haven't heard of that one for a while either. I hadn't heard of a tow in Wildboarclough.
The turns that I got in earlier this week were on the 'lower slopes' of Kerridge where the kids sledge next to Hollin Hall. Still found 6 inches of powder. White Nancy seems possible as the Macclesfield Express has pictures of a couple of Bollintonians skiing down it last Saturday - must have been on a pair of old rochoppers at that point.
Was thinking walking further along the ridge towards Rainow this weekend as there is a nice grassy field where the footpath drops off the ridge on an East facing slope that should be loaded with light fresh powder.
ski holidays
frozennose, thanks for that Smile
latest report
Now that Woodhead is open, four of us plan to go to Crowden car park (207m) on Saturday with touring gear and then attempt Black Hill (582m). Probably up via the Pennine Way and down by the more direct route.

Anyone else fancy a go? It looks like it'll be clear but very cold!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?X=407240&Y=399295&A=Y&Z=120

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/macclesfield_forecast_weather.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
frozennose, ah, you were skiing 2 mins from my house! In fact, Tuesday night we went for a snow-lit walk over the field where you were as I had spent a few hours getting to and from work and I wanted to have a bit of a trudge and kick some white stuff around.

Cos of the lights from Macc/Bolly being reflected on the snow, it was in fact eerily light, despite being 9pm, and it is possible we might have been able to ski, but we hadn't thought of that!

D
latest report
Deliaskis,

Our last few runs were indeed by streetlight as the moon hadn't come out. As the thermometer started dropping like a stone, our friends whose house backs on to that field had the very sociable idea of breaking out the Genepi and limoncello so we even managed some apres!
snow conditions
frozennose, excellent Toofy Grin good friends!
ski holidays
altis wrote:
Now that Woodhead is open, four of us plan to go to Crowden car park (207m) on Saturday with touring gear and then attempt Black Hill (582m). Probably up via the Pennine Way and down by the more direct route.

Anyone else fancy a go? It looks like it'll be clear but very cold!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?X=407240&Y=399295&A=Y&Z=120

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/macclesfield_forecast_weather.html

You will need snow shoes it is very deep in places and not firm enough to support skis.
ski holidays
My first post on this site! Everyone seems like a friendly bunch.

Last February I went for a walk in the Goyt valley and I was waist deep in snow, watching cross-country skiers fly past me... So I vowed that if it snow this year, I'd try out my downhill skis.

I'm based in South Manchester, anyone got any suggestions on where I could ski this weekend?

Mam Tor seems favourite but then Teggs Nose has been mentioned too, there do seem to be too many walls in the way of Teggs Nose and isn't most of it farmland? Do the farmers mind? Or is it the bit from the top of the quarry down to the reservoir? Ending where the trees start?
snow conditions
I've just got back from 1+1/2 hours skiing Werneth Low country park above Hyde, Tameside. Probably more like 15-20mins skiing and over an hour of yomping back up.
Piste no1 on the golf club (aka, the 13th fairway) where all the sledgers have been, isn't steep enough to get over the flater bits but has 3 short bits that are skiable. Managed 3 runs before I got bored. The field just above the vistors centre (Piste No2, the little rye field) was ok though at 4-500meters if you go through the gateway into the lower field, with 12" of untouched powder off to the sides for good measure.
The dog loved it as well once he started racing me instead of trying to bike the skis. We're both flaked out in front of the fire now.

adrian
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy