Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Went to sleep finally at 11pm last night to the shadow of snow falling on the bedroom walls. Ive been awake hourly throughout the night due to a cold (man flu) and the constant very heavy snow that has been falling pretty much non stop now for 7 hours. At present where i live the snow is about 8 inches deep, and is shows no sign of stopping. If i woke u in the Alps to conditions like this, i would be literally buzzing!!! Please people take care today out on the roads up here as they are "lethal"
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The airport is now shut.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like it's coming this way, only an inch or so thus far. Might be an interesting journey to and from work, but needs must.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
View from our window this morning...

Kids are off school and me & Mrs Higs are working from home today but I reckon I might have to take the old skis for a walk up the field.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Higs, kids off school for what looks like an inch or so of snow, what has the world come to!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A good 6 ins here and still coming down. Our school has closed too. I am out in sticks very close to M'cr airport and can see why they have closed it. Hubby managed to get out to get to station for the London train this morning but said roads were strewn with muppets. Virgin trains west coast main line running ok and now he's on it is reporting that conditions are less severe in Midlands, not much snow at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
Higs, kids off school for what looks like an inch or so of snow, what has the world come to!!

It's the school that's closed - I'd have got them there (not that they'd thank me for it)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Higs, yeh sorry wasn't having a go at you, our school is open, we have 6" fresh on top of an inch sat night on top of ice from Christmas Eve, just think schools take the easy option to close...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah wrote:
Hubby managed to get out to get to station for the London train this morning but said roads were strewn with muppets.

Like this you mean....??

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The airport is now shut.
Have flight booked with easyjet in the morning. Hope it reopens soon. Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur, Laughing Laughing Laughing

billyh it's due to reopen at 1200 but obviously there will be a knock on effect and the forecast is to worsen, best of luck.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Live in Mossley, on the edge of where the Saddleworth moors meet the peak district.

Electric power cut at 4am due to moisture in some underground sub station, house alarms going off woke up the whole street.

Measured 10 inches of snow (used a ruler, yes I am that sad!) when i went outside, scraped it off my car then couldn't open the doors anyway. Frozen solid. Walked to end of my road only to discover that there was no way out of the village... the road down the hill was too dangerous and the firemen from the fire station were stopping people trying to go up the hill because cars were just getting stuck.

In short, I've been up since 4am, trapped in the house all morning with no electric. It's been hell!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magic_hat, sorry to hear that is it back on yet? It's still coming down here though only lightly now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
None down here yet - though the small icing sugar dusting received on New Years day hasn't yet melted from the grass - so we've been sub-zero for a long while now - ice is steadily getting thicker on the animals water buckets (hot water serving well for a short time) and finger tips non-existent after 10 mins outdoors in fingerless gloves (for reasons of dexterity - but hopeless if you can't feel your fingers anyway!!).
snow conditions
Been out on the old skis this morning.
A number of observations:
1) aren't they long? (and thin)
2) wax spontaneously disappears after 4 years in a cellar
3) having kids stood on the tails of your skis and holding on to you back pockets affects how they turn
4) it's still fun.
snow conditions
About 6 inches here now, yay! Journey to work was OK, just kept away from the main roads as they were all nose to tail.

Just wish I could play out in it but stuck at work and facing a fun drive home tonight!
ski holidays
sarah, Came back on an hour or so ago. Utterly rubbish day! The only thing that could make it any worse will be work telling me that i have to use some of my annual leave !
ski holidays
We had 8 inches of snow when I left this morning (Bollington, border or Cheshire plain and peak district) but I managed to successfully negotiate the muppets on the way to work.

Getting back is going to be amusing but I have chains in the car. This is one of the few times there has ever been what I would call enough snow on the roads to use them in the UK.

D
latest report
Higs, snowHead
snow report
Deliaskis wrote:
We had 8 inches of snow when I left this morning (Bollington, border or Cheshire plain and peak district) ...

D

Hello Delia

We're ex-Boll. In fact I think the last time I used these skis in the UK was down Moss Brow.

Now in Higher Hurdsfield (and just about to pop out and ski the field opposite the house again)
ski holidays
We had about a cm of snow this morning, most of which instantly melted. My 8 year old has just informed me that they didn't play out all day at school as it was too slippery rolling eyes (and no we haven't got sheet ice covering pavements etc like other parts of the country). How much do we reckon that Gov advertising to get us all "moving" cost?
snow conditions
We have loads here - had email this morning telling us all to work from home and not try to get into work Very Happy Having walked round to the shops am pretty glad cos roads are in a right state - and crowded with muppets as previously mentioned Laughing here's hoping I still can't get out the street tomorrow (just pretending that we don't have snowchains for hubby's car.... Twisted Evil )
snow conditions
Good 8/9 inches on the ground in Salford (Irlam) today, its snowed on / off all day, was unable to get out to work so was "stuck" at home which wasnt too bad.
ski holidays
Whats it like over in Manchester now? We're supposed to be flying in the morning. Wondering how long it will take to get there as driving through peak. Not looking forward to cat and fiddle. Grrr to easyjet for stopping eastmidland flights! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Eerily beautiful this morning. Fantastic light about 7am with huge amounts of fresh snow, not another person around. Roads hideous, two and a half hours for a 5 mile journey, to get to work. Boss was impressed with those of us that managed to get it and nipped out in search of food (brought back enough for 30 and only five turned in!). Being at work was fun, getting home was interesting - emergency stuff only. Saw loads of people taking photographs, roads in better condition/less traffic, man on skis amused me and got parked up safely before full on darkness. Excellent.

Child's school was closed, most likely will be again tomorrow, I shall consider the implications of this once I've eaten pie & stopped sneezing Smile
ski holidays
billyh, use the motorways, coming through the peak district is not faster in good conditions unless the M62 is shut. I run over that way quite a lot so used both routes, the motorway is almost always quicker. It's not snowing in Bolton at the moment but the snow is still thick and it's still cold! Good luck!
snow report
billyh wrote:
Whats it like over in Manchester now? We're supposed to be flying in the morning. Wondering how long it will take to get there as driving through peak. Not looking forward to cat and fiddle. Grrr to easyjet for stopping eastmidland flights! Evil or Very Mad

A537 (Cat&Fiddle) currently closed.
Webcam and traffic info here: http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am supposed to be having a "Ski in a Day" lesson at Chill Factor at Trafford on Thursday - so severly worried that I'm about to be struck by the irony of ironies - being kept away from my ski lesson by the snow! rolling eyes **praying for warmer weather**
latest report
BigSoy, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I assume it was a present because surely Hemel would've been better?
snow conditions
Cheers guys! Good idea to use the motorway. Just looked at the easyjet website looks like there is a strong chance flight will be cancelled based on today if the snow continues. Sad Just discussing plan B if no flights. Drive???
snow report
billyh, East midlands was closed for quite a while today too, so you wouldn't have been any better off here!
snow conditions
billyh, if it is cancelled I see no reason not to drive! Like I said though, for any trip over this way the motorway is almost always better.
snow report
Chill Factore closed down today apparently.........too much snow outside!!!!! Laughing Oh the irony!!!!
snow report
billyh wrote:

Ooh, not a journey I'd relish at the minute! Not sure what roads are open. Cat & Fiddle doesn't look likely to be reopening by morning. A6? Where in Derbyshire are you coming from? We are forecast a little more snow then a big freeze. Temps not due to get out of negative any time soon. Err, good luck! As has been said, if you can get to the motorway, do so and stay 'til you get to the airport.
snow report
Thanks for the welcome Smile

Am back in the Frozen North visiting family etc over Xmas so was going to hit Chill Factor while I'm off work during the week in the hope that the lesson group would be smaller hence better value.

No Christmas present for me unfortunately, just overflowing enthusiasm for my first ski holiday end of Feb and a slight obsession that seems to be developing...
ski holidays
billyh, it has stopped snowing now and sky looks a little clearer but it was still snowing persistently all afternoon. Airport is definitely operational now though quiet, I can hear and see them from here Laughing What time is your flight? The later the better if today is anything to go by.
snow report
BigSoy, fair enough well if you're up this way you'll be fiiiine! It's a slightly obsessive sport, which you probably realised by looking at the mad house that is snowHeads......
latest report
anotherproblem wrote:
BigSoy by looking at the mad house that is snowHeads......

Only a little... snowHead
ski holidays
We went into the village this afternoon and it was eerily quiet. It looked so nice we went back for cameras and tripod. Here's my attempts to capture the etherial feel:

It was well weird to be able to set up my tripod in the middle of the road and casually take several pictures - during the rush hour! Just as we arrived, Mr Norbert stuck on a very slight slope and was unable to go forwards or back. Unfortunately he was right across a junction - and with a full load of something noxious. On the other side of that fence is the Manchester Ship Canal. For the first time in my memory it was frozen over completely - and we've lived here over 25 years.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy