Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which resorts have cheaper ski passes in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
I should add that I am aware of the reasons why they don't make them transferable (to avoid one ticket being used to ferry up umpteen others). I'm just saying that two people sharing the same lift pass on alternate days is not abuse, nor side stepping the system. The lift companies simply haven't taken the opportunity to enable ticket sharing, e.g. "Buy one ticket. Upload the photos of all those who may use it. Choose who's using it on any particular day.".
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John, should have used mine...

I (and gorilla) have 4 vallees season passes without photos by virtue of having bought them online and having them posted to the UK. I've been waiting to be picked up on this all season but so far nothing has happened; in fact I've been carrying a spare photo around with the lift pass. The other week I managed to get on the gondola here without my pass on me at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
midgetbiker, so am I, but b@lls to them quite frankly (the lift companies and the flamers). The day they start giving refunds for days lost due to illness or injury is the day I start forgiving them for prohibitive and predatory pricing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know of a couple with a very young child who are going skiing in a few weeks.

They are buying one six day ticket, as only one of them can ski at anyone time.

Is that bad then?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dave_m, as long as they're not photo cards they should be fine, although I'm sure they will be breaking some archaic law or other. Go for it, more power to them (but then I would say that, wouldn't I)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dave_m, if they're caught they will be fined. I've seen two people pulled up for sharing passes already this season.

Dr John, why are you expecting lift companies to refund days lost due to illness and injury? Would you expect BA to refund your flight ticket because you got gastroenteritis on the day of your flight and couldn't go? I suggest that this is what insurance is for.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, an airline must commit a seat to a passenger that cannot easily be resold, and must sell enough seats to fly. A lift company simply sells access for one body to its permanent uplift facilities.

It's a bit like the difference between a plane and a train. The specific flight of the plane is funded by tickets. The train is travelling anyway, simply on the expectation that a significant number of passengers will use it to make its running worthwhile. It makes sense that a plane seat is not refundable due to illness, whereas a train ticket should be refunded if unused.

In both cases the eventual identity of the passenger shouldn't matter from an economic perspective (though it may wrt immigration/security).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The train is travelling anyway, simply on the expectation that a significant number of passengers will use it to make its running worthwhile.

And this isn't the case with scheduled flights?

Meanwhile, let's look at the practical aspect of this. Say you come and tell me (as some chap did last week) that your daughter has hurt her leg and therefore the whole family has to go home (not entirely sure why, but there you are). Do I:

- refund everyone's passes?
- refund unused days on the daughter's pass but not the others, on the grounds that they can still ski?
- refund the daughter and one of the parents, so that she has a minder?

Do I just take your word for it all, or do I ask for proof? If I'm allowed to demand proof, what should it be? Do I just accept your assertion that the whole family 'has to' go home, or do I tell you that you could go back with daughter, leaving everyone else to follow as scheduled?

Think about how many holidaymakers are injured/ill in resort every season - we'd need a whole department dedicated to having these arguments with people. This is one reason why we sell insurance policies with the lift passes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, if you've bought a lift pass then why not refund it? Why should the lift company be paid for their service that won't be consumed? A reserved seat on a plane, train, or concert is consumed. The payment for access to a train or ski lift system that runs anyway should be refunded given it is not consumed. You don't need evidence of illness, simply return the ticket for cancellation and refund.

Of course, it appears more lucrative to flat out refuse refunds, but there are hidden costs to taking money from a customer when they haven't consumed anything and don't get anything in return.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In fact most lift co's do have a refund policy... You just have to read the small print for ts and cs!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

if you've bought a lift pass then why not refund it?

Because the company is in the business of selling passes?

Would you also refund all the people who come and complain that it's been 'unskiable' because it snowed all week and the pistes are covered in powder?

michaelminhatkinson, well, obviously. No-one ever reads anything you give them though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
Would you also refund all the people who come and complain that it's been 'unskiable' because it snowed all week and the pistes are covered in powder?

Refunds should be provided to anyone who asks for them (no reason needed).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie, Your insurance will refund the cost of the lift pass in most cases if someone is injured and cannot ski for the rest of the holiday. They will require proof of course. Anyone who goes skiing without insurance should be subject to sanctions like drivers without insurance.

the world is full of idiots who shout at people like Lizzard, for doing their job, just because it's snowing/not snowing/cold/windy/icy/sunny blah blah blah - none of which stops you skiing so why should you be refunded? Have you any idea how expensive ski lifts are? How expensive they are to run? How much capital investment is required to update and upgrade them? do you expect all businesses to refund you if you choose not to use the product you bought from them? Our lift company was sold this autumn for €43,000,000.00 that should give you a clue. The airline is quite likely to re-sell the reserved ticket if it possibly can.

No lifts - no holiday - no profit - no lift companies - no holiday! Unless of course you want to walk up the mountain like my dad did in his youth. Shocked

dave_m, Your friends can buy day, or half day tickets. It's not written in stone that you have to have a 6 day ticket. It would cost a little more, but would be worth it. One of my students tried to give their 5 year old his dad's liftpass as dad was babysitting at the time. It wasted a good 30 minutes, they got in trouble and I got told that if it happened again in my class I would have mine removed and my living with it! rolling eyes I don't know any ski teachers who routinely check the liftpasses of their students. Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crosbie wrote:

This is not a flame. You can call me pious if you really want to. Little Angel

Pedant mode on: Er, wouldn't that make you impious? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, I was being facetious a little mischievous on the refund point. As stated I was impressed with the system they had in place to catch the blaggers (me), and equally impressed that the liftie showed some forgiveness and common sense, although I suspect that was very much the exception.

You seem to have the inside track on such matters so can I ask you what resort, in your view, represents the worse value for money in terms of pass price verses antiquated, slow and downright dangerous lifts? 3V and Espace K both have generally very good lifts that are upgraded regularly (one of the main reasons I go to large resort areas), whereas some are dire (Suzys Dose springs immediately to mind, although that was about 6 years ago, may have changed). Interested to hear your views.
latest report
easiski, I expect businesses to attempt to get away with as much as they can. However, I was discussing 'should', not 'expect'.

If a skier has spent £300 on a lift pass and can't make the trip (for any reason), then there is no skier to consume the use of the ski lift. You may feel that the buyer should have been aware of a "no refunds" condition, but that doesn't make it equitable. They should be refunded.

If a skier pays a private transfer company £300 to collect them from their chalet, and then when the agent arrives the skier says "Sorry. I'm going back with my mates", then they've still consumed a large chunk of the transfer and a full refund would not be equitable (I doubt anyone would expect any refund, bar at most unused fuel and time, which is probably outweighed by the agent's opportunity cost).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy