Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which resorts have cheaper ski passes in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Just in Verbier for 2 weeks and the ski pass nearly broke the bank - £400 for the 4 vallees per adult

I want to drive to the alps in March with 2 kids and want to get a bargain holiday with cheap ski passes - possibly a family or kids for free package.

any suggestions for where to go with the 2 learner kids and this ski pass package?

thanks

Slidergirl
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot of smaller French resorts basically give lift passes away for free to get bums on seats and overpriced tartiflettes on tables. Have a look at snowtrex.

£400 for 4vs these days? Really? Christ! Surely not.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sainte Foy - 135€ for an adult 6-day pass. Gets you cheap day passes at Val, Tignes, La Ros, Les Arcs, etc. as well.

Check out our website (in signature) and drop me an email if you're interested, might be able to sort something out for you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Espace Killy up to 20th Dec was 196.50 Euros, with discount for kids (info is on the web, but seemed reasonable level of discount) goes up to 218 Euros after 20th Dec.

Portes De Soleil seems to be approx 174 Euros for early season per adult, again discounts available for kids.

I can't believe it's £400 per adult for a week. That's ridiculous. I just wouldn't go somewhere that expensive, £200 in Tignes seemed steep.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium, two weeks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
£400 for Verbier is presumably for 2 weeks - slidergirl was there for 2 weeks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah yes. Two weeks. Thank goodness!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valloire/Valmenier is 153 euros for a 6 day pass which seems less expensive than some places. Seem to remember there was quite a good family deal too. We've been there twice and enjoyed the skiing (allegedly 70% over 2000m) and the people are very friendly.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wonder what is the best value lift pass in the Alps? I.e. lowest cost per km of piste?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I wonder what is the best value lift pass in the Alps? I.e. lowest cost per km of piste?

Ah, but is that the best value? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd, to people that want to cover as much piste km in a week as possible, maybe so. Personally I prefer quality over quantity.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevomcd, absolutely wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Personally I prefer quality over quantity.

With you on that one! (I do live in a resort with a mere 4 chairlifts after all...)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, Ski Amade is 196 euros for six days at the most expensive time - since this gives 860km of piste, you get over 4km per euro! Not sure you could do it all in six days - but it would fun trying Razz

Dolomiti Superski is a similar price - and you get 1120km for that Razz

Ski passes are expensive, but in some places you get an awful for your money Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobinS, I was thinking of Dolomiti Superski, that's the largest km of piste on one pass isn't it?
ski holidays
How about the Kitzbuheler Alpen All Star Card? 211 Euros and covers the Ski Welt area, Kitzbuhel area, Saalbach, Zell am See etc 1,081 km of pistes http://www.allstarcard.at/en/ski-area-kitzbuehler-alpen.html
ski holidays
I think Les Deux Alpes is reasonably priced!
snow report
How old are the kids? If 13 or older in France they'll pay adult rates unless you can get a family pass.
ski holidays
slidergirl, Grimentz incl Val d'Anniviers area pass is approx £313 for 1 adult & 2 children for 6 days. 2 adults, 2 children is £411.
ski holidays
Cheapest passes we have come across (2 adults 3 kids) are in Les Menuires - we've been before and fun area for the kids with snow park, lots of tree lines runs and some good high skiing too - passes are £113 for adults and £79 for kids

- I'm just looking at booking through Ski Collection (thought snowtrex was a bit toooo cheap?)
snow report
Just check out the low season dates to ensure you get best price, it would be annoying to go one week before the low price kicks in particularly if you could have gone that week?

A few resorts also offer an all inclusive package towards the end of season which will include accomodation and lift pass, this is a package offerred at
www.http://holiday.skiamade.com/lastminute/;jsessionid=2ero2p7872eme?action=view&id=13191

which is 7 nights in an apartment including a 6 day lift pass for €325 - but it was for between Jan 9th to 23rd, maybe worth enquiring if the do a similar deal for March?
latest report
cathy, The Salzburger Superski card beats that into a cocked hat!

The same price at €211 for 6 days, but covers 2,200Km of piste.

http://www.salzburgersuperskicard.com/
snow report
cbpark5 wrote:
Cheapest passes we have come across (2 adults 3 kids) are in Les Menuires - we've been before and fun area for the kids with snow park, lots of tree lines runs and some good high skiing too - passes are £113 for adults and £79 for kids

- I'm just looking at booking through Ski Collection (thought snowtrex was a bit toooo cheap?)

A few people here have used Snowtrex before, do a forum search to see what they thought. I think 'perfectly adequate' would sum up most peoples experiences.
latest report
Snowtrex is absolutely fine. Used last Feb half term, utter bargain, zero complaints.
latest report
thanks for the nudge - will definitely have another look at snowtrex - wasn't sure how they stacked up and as our ski week is so precious i don't want to spoil it by not being somewhere really nice - any resort/apartment recommendations would be much appreciated - going last week of march so want to be high and ski-in/out is a must, also planning a self drive so about 9hrs is as much as our 3 kids can take in the car!
snow conditions
Define 'really nice'.

Snowtrex don't deal in 'really nice'. They cram you into little shed apartments for the cheapest they can manage, and focus their attention on '2nd division' resorts. You'll not be in a luxury chalet in Val d'Isere with 'em for tuppence, pretty obviously.

So if cheap and cheerful is what you want, they're pretty well unbeatable as far as I can tell. If that sounds unappealing, maybe look elsewhere (and pay more, natch).
ski holidays
Just booked 1 week b+b, 16-23 jan, in Limone Piemonte(south of turin) for 325 Euro INCLUDES 6 DAY SKI PASS !
HB is 14 euro extra a day. Nice.
snow conditions
£365pp accommodation incl. Val Thorens area lift pass snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Book 2Alpes in January with an east European TO - they've negotiated some very good deals. Mind you, I have no idea whether they're passing this onto the punter.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
How old are the kids? If 13 or older in France they'll pay adult rates unless you can get a family pass.

Les Gets/Morzine area 6 day kids pass is up to and including 15yrs (112.80€) plus take another 10% off if on family pass. Adults 149.70€ less 10% if family pass.

Though probably worth bringing id if you have a 14yr old pushing 6ft comme moi.
latest report
Here's a question:

How do lift pass companies ensure that season lift passes are not transferable? I.e. what's to stop someone buying a few season passes then selling them on week by week at a profit and gaining a few weeks' essentially free usage for themselves?

In the old days lift passes had photos on them, do season passes still have photos or are they the same as 6-day passes, just electronic cards you keep in your pocket?

Is the lift pass system really that open to abuse or do the lift companies have safeguards in place? I guess Lizzard would be the best person to answer this.
ski holidays
If you thought £400 was steep for 13 days, try £282 for 6 days in Banff. Shocked

Anyone fancy starting a chart of cheapest and dearest lift passes for 6 days? Then provide a price per lift index (divide price by number of lifts that pass permits access to).
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
In the old days lift passes had photos on them, do season passes still have photos or are they the same as 6-day passes, just electronic cards you keep in your pocket?

They usually trigger a photo to appear on a monitor that is viewable by the lifties at each lift.
snow report
rob@rar, thanks. I knew there must be a way round this. Otherwise fleabay would be awash with people selling lift passes.
snow report
paulio wrote:
Define 'really nice'.

Snowtrex don't deal in 'really nice'. They cram you into little shed apartments for the cheapest they can manage.

...and while this was certainly true of the apartment I got from them in Valmeinier last year, that place was perfectly acceptable. It was even more true of the "Portes de l'Oisans" I stayed in, in Vaujany, last week.

"Like an old shabby Pontins", would be one way I can think of describing it.
latest report
Go to the Maurienne - (especially Haute Maurienne) ski any one of 20 resorts - different resort every day for 5 days for €85 (click on the map). A true bargain if you have a car since Val Cenis normal lift pass is €157 for 7 days adult. A cheap area to stay. Lots of small resorts, the largest in the Haute Maurienne (the area above and upstream from Modane) is Val Cenis
snow report
For a family the 4V pass is 292 CHF for an adult and 146 for a child (born 1995 onwards).

Doesn't seem wildly dear in comparison with the other mega type resorts.
ski holidays
rob@rar, confirmed. I was busted in Verbier for carrying a season pass at Medran. I was quite impressed with the efficiency to be honest, I had only just got through the barrier when I was apprehended. Mind you, the fact that I was holding the pass of a 21 year old officer in the Black Watch Guards made things very very easy for the liftie. I did they whole "innocent guv, I must have picked up the wrong pass in the apartment" thing. My excuse being slightly undermined by going immediately to the lift pass office and had to present my brand spanking new pass in order to get the season pass back. She must have felt sorry for me and let me off, much to my relief as I wasn't looking forward to explaining to the army officer in question how his season pass got confiscated.
latest report
Dr John, blimey, I'm amazed your post has been up for over 6 hours without loads of pious snowHeads flaming you for attemting to side step the system wink
snow report
midgetbiker, it's more a case of the lift company gouging the punter. Why shouldn't a lift pass be transferable? As long as only a single person uses the ticket at any time, what difference does it make to the lift company? Sure, they may be able to make more money if they make it non-transferable, but that doesn't constitute justification.

This is not a flame. You can call me pious if you really want to. Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy