Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to take my own skis as well as my boots this year, before anyone says "just hire skis when you get there" that is what i have done before but would like to try taking my own even if it just results in me renting in the future.

I have a pair of UK size nine boots and a set of k2 apache rangers (170cm), i'm thinking if i can get them in the same bag and then then take a normal bag for the rest of my clothing all will be good, has anyone got any advice on bag that would do this?

or

another bag combo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just take two separate bags - one with skis in, one with boots in. Had no issues with a group of 10 doing this on recent flight.

Personally, I carry my boots on the way out in handluggage to guarantee they get there, and then check them in on the way back to get some more space on the plane Smile

There are plenty of bags that can do what you want, and the setup you're planing will work fine if you've got ski carriage on your ticket, but I don't see a big advantage to having one bigger bag over a couple of smaller ones.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Monium, thanks for the advice, i've never taken skis before and i feared i'd turn up and be told "you have too many items" or some other money grabbing catch. I'm going to get the airline number (a friend has booked everything) and try and check with them up front, number of items, size restrictions, weight, etc. to the best of my knowledge we have paid for "ski carriage" but once again i will check.

if i could take a boot bag, ski bag and clothing bag i'd be happy i have no desire to spend a fortune on bags wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
phindme, which airline have you booked with ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops wrote:
phindme, which airline have you booked with ?

this is something i need to find out, but it is going to be a few days before i find out, guy who booked it all is away over Christmas
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
phindme, whoever it is with will have detailed T&Cs regarding what you can take with you, most used to allow a ski bag and boot bag in the hold for the 'ski fee', some I believe only allow one bag in the hold for the 'ski fee' (probably Ryanair wink ) but generally most people will take their boots as hand baggage to keep the 'checked' baggage weight below any excess (20kg ?) charges level

Maybe some one on here may have used the same company/airline already this season and can let you know their experience snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could take a ski bag and then take a luggage bag that would accommodate both your boots and clothing items?

Take a look at this bag on wheels, takes a boot in each end and clothing in the middle

http://skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Big_Air_Big_Bag.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The size / weight difference on boots would suggest putting these in standard luggage rather than a ski bag. I think they'd be easier to carry that way.

With 170cm skis you could get away with a very good value extensible padded bag from http://www.nevisport.com/catdetail-9-catdetail1_id-230-catdetail2_id-566-product_id-203017 at £24.99, which I can just get my 170 skis in before using the extending bit.

If you did try to combine, think you'd need a double bag with wheels, and weight position in bag so they're not quite so awkward to carry.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
phindme, Personally my boots always go in the hand luggage on the outboutnd flight. I have a little Salomon Cabin bag that fits Boots, 1 Day ski gear and my laptop and travel docs.

Then just check in my normal bag and skis (Stuffing the ski bag with Avi Gear, servicing kit,body armour and anything with any weight in it.

For the skis a good padded bag will do the job wheels on the bottom do make it easier if you have to lug them around but are not always essential
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've always taken separate holdall for clothes, ski bag and boot bag. All get checked into the hold. No problems at all. If anything it's easier to carry three lighter bags than one massive heavy one. If you have pre-booked ski carriage you will be able to take separate ski and boot bags in addition to your main hold bag.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A lot of the package operators will allow skis and poles only for the extra you pay your boots are counted as part of the 20kgs luggage you have. I am surprised that some of you have been able to take boots as hand luggage as a lot of airports UK side don't allow this and have big signs indicating that.

The airline T&C's are different from the tour operators - you have to go with the tour operator, having been on airlines that I know include boots with skiis only to find the tour operator does not.

Just be careful and make sure that you keep with in the weights, if you are in a group sometimes the total weight will even out but then you may be in one that each individual will want their baggage weighed separately so that they don't get involved in any excess baggage charge and watch out there are stories about skiis being weighed to make sure there isn't extra in the bags. Having said that if I remember rightly the weight they think a set of skiis is would actually only cover child skiis Very Happy

Everyone has different experiences and ideas but having been caught for excess baggage once when they started tightening up the rules I am neurotic about it and not prepared to pay an extra sou to them just so they can reach their targets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been told it is Thomas cook
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy