Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone actually pay for ski carriage? The travel agent told us not to bother with it, reckons no one ever pays it Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm I guess that depends on who you fly with, you may find that not booking ski carriage in advance means extra costs at the airport, or even that they refuse to carry your skis, on the other hand they may just put them in the hold and not charge you
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As I understand it depends on the carrier. I know that Ryanair and more recently Easyjet charge for carriage of skis. You will be charged at the airport if you fly with these carriers.

If you are travelling with BA or Swiss, amongst several others, then there is no charge. Best to check with the carrier if you are unsure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have EasyJet started charging? First I had heard of that?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The_Mac_Daddy, I didn't book ski carriage for my trip to Canada next week. When the tickets arrived I waited until a week before departure and phoned the tour operator and told them that I would now be taking skis. They said its too late to amend the tickets but phone the airline and they will charge you £15.00 each way. The tour operator gave me the number of the airline in this case Excel air. When I spoke to them they added a note to my booking saying that I would be taking skis. When I asked about a charge they said no extra charge its something that some tour operators add on to make more money but we don't charge extra for skis. The proof will come if I don't pay any extras on check in next Wednesday. It was a package I booked through going places so not just a flight ticket.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
StanBowles wrote:
Have EasyJet started charging? First I had heard of that?

Yep-check the web site.A number of us who have pre booked(when it said free carriage)are curious as to what will happen when we check in.Should be entertaining wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
okay, the reason i asked is i have paid for the last two trips (MyTravel and Firstchoice airlines) both cost £15 extra but neither asked for any proof of purchase of ski carriage etc Apparently the travel agent said that she always took skis but never paid any extra carriage? Is this just another con like the, you're supposed to check n at least 3 hours before depature unless you pay us extra for late check in type rubbish? It's only a short haul flight so i guess it probably won't matter as long as we're not the last to check in. It just feels like i'm being conned from ever angle, you're sold a holdiay and told it'll cost £xx then you say ok, they then say, of course you have to pay £xx airport tax....fine, then you have to pay a fuel sur charge.....and oh yes you have to also pay a transfer charge, oh and don't forget ski carriage! which is why i always phone up and ask the travel agent for the actual price. Sometimes it just feels like they're all out to get you Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Sometimes it just feels like they're all out to get you

Thats because they are Evil or Very Mad Best advice;assume all reps,TO's,travel agents etc have the plague,and treat them accordingly wink

Latest scam to catch me out Embarassed Nielson's-we charge resort prices for our lift passes.Not quite true is it?On the transfer coach,rep flogging passes.How much you ask.XXXeuro they say.Fine,I'll have 5 for the week(no probs,same as price on resort site)Rep laminates passes,THEN asks for payment.Credit card only,in sterling.Yes,you've got it,at Nielson's exchange rate???Offer euros;sorry,not allowed to accept cash,company policy.Credit payment in euros;no,err company policy!!Admittedly,it wasn't going to break the bank,but thats not the point.I quite forcefully told this rep what I thought of Nielson's 'fair trade' policy Shocked Good result in a way.Didn't see a rep all week after that wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowskisnow, Unless Neilson's T&Cs specifically called for payment in sterling, I think you would be entitled to have refused payment in £££ because you had offered payment in the legal tender of the country in which you were trading. Mind you, you might not have thought it worh the grief.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our tickets came today for a Crystal holiday. Paid £15.00 ski carriage and this is clearly printed on my flight ticket - Britannia - which I believe it Thomson/Crystal "own" airline. So I guess they know who's paid and will charge those who haven't, and it's more expensive to pay at the airport.

On the other hand, we went, 28 of us, to Ser Cher a couple of weeks back with Neilson. The group organiser was trying to get us into groups at the airport as some of us had paid for ski hire in advance and some hadn't (and some didn't have skis anyway). But the airline was BA, and when we started explaining, they said they didn't care as they didn't charge for skis anyway Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick Zotov,that,I suppose,is the whole point.These 'people' know that you will suffer it(well most will)After all,you're on holiday;and who wants grief over a few euro?I was the only one to complain,the rest just suffered in silence;though they all realised they were being scammed!We have the same with Easy Jets change of policy i.e. now charging ski carriage.What are you going to do,change your booking??Of course not,not for the sake of a few quid.Sleazy have now undoubtedly sold the majority of seats on ski bound flights,so now they change the rules and the punters will just have to suffer it Mad Well my e confirmation clearly states free sporting goods carriage,and I shall do my utmost to get what it says on the tin wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
okay, the reason i asked is i have paid for the last two trips (MyTravel and Firstchoice airlines) both cost £15 extra but neither asked for any proof of purchase of ski carriage etc Apparently the travel agent said that she always took skis but never paid any extra carriage? Is this just another con like the, you're supposed to check n at least 3 hours before depature unless you pay us extra for late check in type rubbish? It's only a short haul flight so i guess it probably won't matter as long as we're not the last to check in. It just feels like i'm being conned from ever angle, you're sold a holdiay and told it'll cost £xx then you say ok, they then say, of course you have to pay £xx airport tax....fine, then you have to pay a fuel sur charge.....and oh yes you have to also pay a transfer charge, oh and don't forget ski carriage! which is why i always phone up and ask the travel agent for the actual price. Sometimes it just feels like they're all out to get you Laughing

Yes, but who exactly is to blame for this? Customer demand has driven prices down since price is the comparison most customers make. The TV's and papers are full of ad's for holidays at stupid prices, the margins been reduced to practically nothing so it's hardly surprising they're trying to claw some money back or that quality's so poor. We'd be kidding ourselves not to recognize this is what the market demands. It also works in the favor of the TO's that most of population are functionally innumerate and will just keep charging the extras to the credit card without a second thought.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lots of discussion re easyjet and ski carrigae here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5606
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow, Good luck with EJ - do let us know how you got on, when you return.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This may be a simplistic view but I have found that if you are flying by scheduled flight there is no charge for skiis.
If you are flying with what is principally a charter/budget airline (Monarch, Brittania etc) they will charge you for anything they can including ski carriage, food, drinks etc etc.
Anyone fall out with that as a generalisation? Puzzled
snow report
Thomas Cook (bookable through Canadian Affair) and Zoom both do free ski cariage on their UK to Canada flights.
snow conditions
Most carriers do free to North America. (I've never had to pay when going there)
snow report
I knew there was a reason you skied there
snow report
My Travel and Inghams both checked that I'd paid for ski carriage from Manchester last year. If you hadn't paid, you had to find another desk at the other side of the airport, which did not open until 5.30 to pay for ski carriage, and this was £18 per pair instead of £12. Fortunately, I'd paid in advance. The plane started boarding at 6.15am so there would have been a panic if I couldn't check my skis in until the relevant desk had been opened.
ski holidays
My god youre all so cynical!!

The_Mac_Daddy, never trust a travel agent - because they prob never pay to take their skis , you tend to get it all free when you work there . I personally wouldnt risk it. I used to get people ringing up screaming at me every saturday morning when they were at the airport and a) were being told to pay for their skis or b) being told they couldnt take them! Travel agents themselves dont make any commision on whether you pay for them or not so if they advise you to, its prob for your own good.
latest report
Nadenoodlee, Nade are you a travel agent?
snow conditions
Quote:

its prob for your own good.

Since when has a travel agent 'given' any information that didn't benefit them more than you rolling eyes wink
snow conditions
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
Does anyone actually pay for ski carriage? The travel agent told us not to bother with it, reckons no one ever pays it Confused

But back on topic. No, never paid and never been asked. Thats on chartered and regular flights.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, Used to be, and funnily enough, some people are travel agents because they want to be!! Theyre simply doing their job! Its the Tour Operators who stick on the extra charges, the travel agents are just the retailers.

snowskisnow, thats a huge generalisation, I did my job because I loved travel, I never forced people into buying anything I was honest and genuine and that seemed to work. you must just pi$$ them off
snow conditions
OK phoning the airline to add ski carriage worked Very Happy no charges from excel at Manchester as there computer said I was taking skis and no charge levied in Canada because again computer said I had ski booked carriage which was added by the airline and not the tour operator to the booking. Those people who hadn't booked ski carriage were charged $15 (Canadian) per Kilo for the skis irrespective of there baggage weight I saw 2 couples charged for this one had bought skis in Canada the other didn't pay on the out bound flight. Airtours gave everybody a printed warning about baggage weight and ski carriage on the return journey stating the charges before hand and that they would be strictly adhered to by the Canadian check in staff.

As stated earlier in the thread my tickets arrived without ski carriage from Airtours on phoning them to add it on they said I was too late and needed to phone the airline direct, Airtours gave me the number for this. When I phoned Excel airways they said there would be no charge but they would note that I would be taking skis on my booking.

A good result but I was a little nervous on the return check in did thick the credit card would take a bashing but not this time now we need someone else to try it.
ski holidays
Just got back from Geneva with easyjet. I booked before the rule change and wasn't charged, but they didn't appear to check. However, check-in at Geneva yesterday was the biggest frace I have ever seen. Chaos caused by the new electronic check-in booths, then huge queues at the luggage drop - took much longer than the old system. Add to that some sort of backlog of bags going down the conveyor belt, none of the skis clearing security in time to make the flight, skis not turning up at Liverpool... I'm still waiting for them!
ski holidays
beanie1, any ideas why the new checkin caused such problems?
snow report
beanie1, check-in at Innsbruck was chaotic as well - for apparently the same reason - the lady at the check-in desk couldn't persuade the luggage to go down the conveyor. She said that all the luggage was going through a single x-ray machine in the basement and this was the hold up.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it was a combination of things. It was very very busy and the space easyjet have at Geneva was very small - it was just a huge crowd of people. The signs telling you to check in at the booths weren't very obvious so lots of people would queue at the check-in as normal, get to the front then the check-in person would have to climb out and personally take them to the booth and show them what to do. Add to that the luggage pile-up so when we did finally get to the front of the queue for the luggage drop we had to weight another 10 mins before there was any space on the belt for our luggage...
snow report
is it possible for OFT. or similar to make a ruling regarding charges :- a very simple solution to administrate would be :-

One ski bag / coffin wt. 20 kg. + 5 kg. hand bag no extra charge as no additional weight
one hold bag - 20 kg. + 5 kg. hand bag + one ski bag [ charged additional ] either set fee or by per. kg.

SIMPLE TO ADMINISTRATE - NO ARGUMENTS - NO WAY TO FLOUT THE RULES - THE MORE YOU TAKE OVER THE ALLOWANCE
THE MORE YOU PAY DO PEOPLE NOT REALISE THE FOOLING THE SYSTEM COMPROMISES AIRCRAFT SAFETY !!!

If you want the airlines / tour operators to be fair with you BE FAIR WITH THEM !!!!

What are other peoples views ??? PETER
snow conditions
My view is that you should not resurrect a 6-year old thread when there's current discussion on the subject - and that YOU SHOULDN'T SHOUT!!!!

Welcome to snowheads, though. snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

FOOLING THE SYSTEM COMPROMISES AIRCRAFT SAFETY !!!

I doubt it. Captain knows what the plane weighs.
snow conditions
Was told that BA would charge extra for skis and boots. Hmmm!
ski holidays
From the BA website:

"There is NO additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance. If it is in addition to your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges. "

So if it all weighs less than your allowance you get away with no carriage charge. I suspect, skis, boots and clothes would weigh more than the 23kg of allowed weight.
ski holidays
Quote:

So if it all weighs less than your allowance you get away with no carriage charge. I suspect, skis, boots and clothes would weigh more than the 23kg of allowed weight.

Been debated to death on other threads, but BA charges are 1 bag at 23kg is free (so if all your gear is in one coffin bag under 23kg it goes free). Additional bags are £28 each way (£35 if not paid in advance), but for each extra bag payment you get a further 23kg allowance.

You still do get free booze with BA too... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

so if all your gear is in one coffin bag under 23kg it goes free.

Or if it goes in one coffin bag plus your hand luggage (bearing in mind that BA has no weight limit on hand luggage...) wink
snow report
johnnyh wrote:
I suspect, skis, boots and clothes would weigh more than the 23kg of allowed weight.

Have rearranged things since but managed to to get my rather weighty Elan speedwaves, 2 sets of kids sks (100cm and 130cm) 3 sets of poles, 2 pairs of boots and a few clothes in my big and heavy roller bag and it weighed in at 22kg
ski holidays
last week we paid £30 for crystal ski carriage, i always out 2 pairs of skis in a bag. ie 1 ski carriage (not one pair !!
at manchester as soon as they weighed the bag she asked how many skis were in it, once she decided that there were two pairs she charged me another £40...!!

Crystal say its in their terms & cons. that its one pair of skis per person, so had to pay another £30 up front for next week rather than 40 at the airport again.

at least with the holiday i got plenty of discount which i was not expecting !! so not too bad i suppose
ski holidays
achilles -- what do you mean resurect -- the issue has not been sorted ---- there is a need to shout louder with a unified voice to create change -- eg. EGYPT now
johnnyh -- yes point made -- BA seem to be sensible and fair -- 23 kg. regardless of size or contents -- NO extra charge !! My skis boot s poles & clothes are less than 20 kg.
geoffers -- yes that is what we should campaign for -- BA has the simple answer .
coach -- crystal state £30 per pr. skis --- no argument if taken as extra wt.. - But if only one bag 20 kg. + 5 kg. hand NO EXTRA WT. SO NO EXTRA CHARGE !!
ski holidays
Paid around £30 each way with Air Canada. I think they had max length of around 160cm for their normal luggage allowance which meant no supersize ski "coffin". Did manage to double up though so it was actually £30 each return and included a single boot bag.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy