Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest Skis

Poster: A snowHead
I'm toying with having a pop at the Eurotest but will need to 'kit up'. Any ski suggestions ? I'm 5'10" about 80kg and obviously looking the the ski that's going to give me the best chance of getting the time. I reckon I'm currently about 3-4 secs off but that's on 3Vs.

oh, and I'll probably be looking for them second hand wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
david@mediacopy, wow, good luck! Seem to have been quite a few passes recently in the email.

I've met people who've recently passed before who have been selling their GS skis, maybe try and contact those in the BASI news and see if anyone's selling?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GS skis come up from time to time on ebay around 200-300. usually from guys who have passed.

i was in the same boat and wasnt sure about what ski to get for training. lots of people said get slightly detuned retail version or a womens full FIS race stock to get to to terms with GS racing but my boss swung the vote when i asked him. He said are you there to train or to win. if you are serious get the best skis you can get and learn to drive them properly, then you stand a chance. get some floppy rubbish and forget it. I bought some ex racers factory skis and i get scared everytime i see em. Toofy Grin

you going to do any training this year? im very keen to get an introduction fun type of week this season as opposed to the full ET prep with dryland training etc. just to see where i am at. Perhaps we could get a training group together and get a coach and a lane somewhere, i have a few ideas in mind...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, My vote would be for proper race skis too but to pick ones designed for the weight of the user. I'm 75kg and am using the middle length of the three male sizes of Fisher skis. Atomic/Salomon also make three lengths of male and female skis, the others only make two sizes for each.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, thats good to know i ended up with atomics in 193 21R and at 100kg is probably a good choice for me. Phil B said length was right but stay away from 27R until you know what your doing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, I think the >27m skis are much nicer to ski on than the >21m ones though I would expect that your ones will be around 27m anyway.

Current skis do require the course setter to know what they are doing though, all the race courses that I skied last season were good but most of the training courses that I used were far too tight to get around cleanly. In training areas somebody sets a course at one side of the piste then everybody else shadows the same set so as to use the least space, there were several times in Tignes this autumn when the first course was poor and the coaches started arguing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I would expect that your ones will be around 27m anyway.

im curious why would they do that? they are 08's I believe.... with almost no time in GS gates i a keen to get stuck in this year any ideas on mid season training venues?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so, 27 or 21m ?

and length ?

I've heard the suggestions regarding a ladies full FIS ski. It's sort of appealing after I had a look at a pair a couple of weeks ago.

skimottaret, I've based my calc's on stuff I've done before and people I've trained with although checking some times I read this morning I was perhaps a second optimistic. A couple of guys I skied with last year passed in the last couple of weeks so I'm starting to ponder the possibility. They were younger than me though !! Being stuck in the UK this Winter isn't going to help either. You thinking UK or Alps for training ?

beanie1, Cheers. Luck will be an critical requirement Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, The older spec skis tended to have a bigger sidecut radius in the longer lengths, current ones all end up about the same radius for all lengths. As a coach you can get the actual specs of the skis from the manufacturers so that you can advise your trainees, OTOH if TJ says that your ones are a particular radius then believe him.

I just train SL during the season proper as it needs a lot less space than GS.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
david@mediacopy, at your weight a ladies FIS ski sounds a good bet. i have had conflicting stories on 21 vs 27. what i hear is that go longer if heavier/tall but have little knowledge to back that up. rjs, is an experienced guy and if he says 27 it is worth thinking about but others tell me as a newbie start with a turny ski.

I am in the same boat, have very little ambition for the L4 technical but would like at some point to have a go at the L3 coach. I have skied with quite a few that have passed and i dont feel on piste there is a huge gap between me and some of them that some training could get me to a point where a crack at it wouldnt be embarrassing. also a guy from hemel missed by 1.5 on his first go which was i thought a very good effort, a strong fit skier who has trainined very hard. But as you say age is not going to help our chances. I was wanting to do some training and feel if i could get within 4 or 5 secs it would be worth then having a proper go at some serious training next year and gym work (which i hate)

this year was thinking a sneaky week/ long weekend in the alps somewhere and try to hire a private coach/lane or perhaps go a bit early prior to one of the big races. I may coaching in Les Houches for the interschools champs march and meribel for the brits april so could tag something on when not training the little ones.

rjs, makes sense in that the shovels on the long ones dont look much bigger. I didnt ask the actual radius and am just going by what is stamped on the skis. any ideas for GS training during the season? I know Dave Morris was running some lanes in meribel last Jan and RG told me that Mike Barker may be up for doing some private work. I dont mind where really tux or Soelden would work for me as well. Do you know anyone in Soelden that i could approach?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, When I was in Tignes I think the guys were saying a lane is about 15 euro's a day - and you get an armband to queue jump ! But then you need a set of gates...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy, Lanes in Tignes were 13 euros per day, the rules are here. That is only in the autumn though, they were not taking any more bookings after the 28th Nov. You would have to pay winter prices to use the Lognan stade now, it will be the same in the 3V too my club paid 120 euro per half day in Meribel two years ago during the British Champs.

I have my own gates but tend to only train GS in Tignes in November as you need too much space for it to be possible during the rest of the season. You could ask Dave Morris but would probably want to get a few people together to make the costs worthwhile.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, There were several of the smaller guys using the longest female spec skis in Masters races last season so they are worth considering, I just don't think there is any need to be scared of >27m skis.

During one of the advert breaks on Eurosport this morning I switched over to ZDF, they were interviewing Lindsay Vonn about how she and Maria Riesch are often using male spec skis in races, they are similar height and weight to david@mediacopy.

Can you train at Tux or Soelden in the Winter ? Everywhere else that I know about is glad of the business pre-season but closes down as soon as the main lifts open.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
During one of the advert breaks on Eurosport this morning I switched over to ZDF, they were interviewing Lindsay Vonn about how she and Maria Riesch are often using male spec skis in races, they are similar height and weight to david@mediacopy.

I guess they may be able to work the ski's a bit better than me wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, was in solden last week and they had some SL lanes up lower down and a GS course on the glacier so was curious if perhaps they might have something all year round on the glacier there.

even at 120 a half day in meribel or tignes with a few guys it could work out with dave or mike B.
ski holidays
Just come across this thread. Recently came back from 2 weeks of eurotest foundation training in L2A. I did the course on my husband's cast off Fischer GS skis (7 seasons old but only used for a successful eurotest pass) which are a 183 21m ladies FIS ski. Not ideal for me as I'm small and not that heavy but I couldn't get hold of any new skis before doing the training. I like them out of the gates but they feel way too big and plankish (despite being a soft flex) for my novice ability in the gates. He opted for the ladies ski as he was not that heavy (5"8 and 70kg).

I was lucky enough to get to test some of next seasons properly set up and tuned (2 sidewall and .5 base) FIS GS race skis on my day off. Just a pity I couldn't try them out in the gates during the week... My favourites and definitely the most fun performance ski I have ever skied on is the ladies 175 23m Rossignol Worldcup GS FIS ski. I was thinking that the 23 radius would be hard for me to get used to but it felt like I was skiing on a race carver. I could not believe how responsive it was and the tight turns that it could rip. I rated the Salomon/Atomic ski (same sizes) pretty awesome too and these were not quite as stiff as the Rossis. I also tried the new Heads but at 178 with a slightly larger radius (around 25 I think) felt less responsive but by no means too stiff. Hubby decided to test the same skis I tried to give his appraisal. He too was massivley impressed with the grip, ease of handling and fun factor of the Rossi. As well as testing the ladies 175 he tried the longer 182 ski and thought it was awesome (although more beefy) too. He thought it would be an ideal ski for lighter guys going for the eurotest if they keep the rules (length and radius) the same as the last few years.

Anyone thinking about training this autumn?
latest report
juliad,
Quote:
Anyone thinking about training this autumn?

I'm hoping to do something, but not sure if it will be GS or something else. I fancy a day or 2 in the gates but would like to cover more than just that.
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, how did you get on in the end?

Getting on the 'right' pair of skis would be important I think to give you the best chance... I ski so much better on the right GS ski for me than on other ones that are 'ok'... I'd try out as many as possible and see what feels good... (For me a Volkl Racetiger was the go)

definitely you want a proper GS ski - which IIUC should have the radius stamped as > x (x will vary depending on femal/male and when it was made)...

If you have not had much time on one then maybe play on a girly one in a smaller radius(pre FIS changes) first until you get accustomed to it then work up to a 'real' one...

You seem large enough to drive a full on mens ski and it should be faster unless a turny set course...
ski holidays
little tiger, I've not done much since I'm afraid. I did have an option on a pair that a mate used to pass his Euro test on, but they were in Italy. Last season was spent mostly 'fun' skiing rather than training or working and I'm not sure how this one will work out.

Would be nice to get back into some GS gates though and play on some 'proper' race skis.
ski holidays
OK... yeah I have to admit that I'm quite enjoying playing in the NASTAR course at Breck now... still a bit frustrated with the tighter course set(like a super slalom) as I preferred the more open one(more easy GS like). However it has been great learning and I'm staring to get it dialled a bit better...

I have a couple of aims I'm working on for next season - should make strides in courses - then hopefully I can get a good off season of fitness work and really get stuck in the following season.

Good Luck - might be a bit of work getting there but the journey should be fun
snow conditions
little tiger, cheers. I'm hopeful that I'll get into gates again this coming season so fingers crossed. Hope it all goes to plan for you too snowHead
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, I'm going to do 6 weeks worth of GS training in November and December but just interested to see if anyone here might be up for something in Oct out in Austria/France?
ski holidays
juliad, could be, depending on what's on the programme.
latest report
juliad, maybe, but early days yet.
snow conditions
I have some 21m radius fisher factory skis that I'd be willing to part with. They have been used but have some edge left and are in good nic (no binding though but have a plate so any binding will fit!) PM me if your interested. They are a good few seasons old (instyle as have 21m radius etc.) but are still a good solid GS ski.
snow conditions
I would recommend going for something slightly shorter and softer than a full on men’s wc 191 27m radius GS ski, as i have found opening some times the distances seem a bit shorter than the ski is designed for and require a few tactical drifts! With a slightly shorter ski i think you would get more out of it and find it easier to apply good tactics and line choices. If you send me an email at jjceurotest@gmail.com I will hopefully be able to put you in touch with a few alternatives from various ex team members.

We have recently returned from a great camp in Saas Fee, check out our video Very Happy Any feedback is welcome Very Happy
http://youtube.com/v/PvECT7P--jA

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 19-07-10 23:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
jjc, tele in the bumps - sweet!
snow conditions
I'm waiting to see if anyone is runnning dedicated eurotest training in October as this would be the best option for me. If not, I will need to organise some training for myself (or a small group if others are interested) ahead of the main November training. I've made a few enquiries with coaches to find out costs, availability etc. and just wanted to see if others are in the same position...

Being a GS rookie, my aim is getting into some easy courses ahead of going into tighter courses on the steep later in the autumn.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
juliad, im in the same boat, if you come up with anything let me know for late oct. early nov I am looking for an into to GS for a week to 10 days max...
snow report
jjc wrote:
With a slightly shorter ski i think you would get more out of it and find it easier to apply good tactics and line choices. If you send me an email at jjceurotest@gmail.com I will hopefully be able to put you in touch with a few alternatives from various ex team members.

david@mediacopy looks like a good idea... I'd go for it...
latest report
skimottaret, a couple of people are looking at running intro type GS training in October but are waiting to see what interest there is first. Please feel free to PM me if you want any details. My problem is that I'd rather do the October training with the same trainer(s) in the same location as my November training.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy