Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
What are queues like for the new Les Molliets lift?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nessy, Christmas and before no queue at all, got straight on. Bit of a log jam at the top with people stopping right in front, but fine.

Lift is now right at the end of the car park, go past where the old lift was.

Overall in GM the bigger problem seemed to be caused by the lift pass readers not working.........
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow in Morillon at 700m at the moment!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Evening all!

It was looking good on the webcams today; how are conditions over there?

More forecast for Sunday night as well!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lucan, It has been very quiet on the GM front today - I suspect they have had a great day looking at the cams.... come on guys - rub our noses in it!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Evening All, been out and about today so here's what I've seen from the warmth of my bus;
03:30 Morillon- lots of snow
04:30 Carroz - even more snow
07:00 Col de Flaine - closed due to avalanche blasting and still snowing
08:00 Col de Flaine - more snow falling
11:00 Col de Flaine - stopped snowing at about 75cm
16:00 Carroz - 50cm of powder
20:00 Carroz - cold
21:30 Morillon and bed!!

This "working" lark is tough!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus, ah bless.... thank anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus,

Thank you my good man!
That's fantastic news!

Will be there a week tomorrow for 4 days, was thinking about going somewhere else after the recent warm spell but not now!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus, Bet that was a manic transfer day?

Thanks for the excellent news, back in 5 days, if we can get up the hill!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
woop! Thanks Marcellus Smile 4 days to go......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all, sorry couldn't update during fab week in Morillon, broadband was down in our chalet. Had great week, only bad day was wednesday when it rained all day, otherwise great skiing all runs open bar marvel green to village and cascades to sixt. Skied around Les Carroz monday and tues and crossed to flaine thurs and fri absolutely fab snow and conditions up there so don't worry everyone you'll have plenty of choice and great ski conditions, snowed most of friday and looked great yesterday when we were leaving.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowmam wrote:
Hi all, sorry couldn't update during fab week in Morillon, broadband was down in our chalet. Had great week, only bad day was wednesday when it rained all day, otherwise great skiing all runs open bar marvel green to village and cascades to sixt. Skied around Les Carroz monday and tues and crossed to flaine thurs and fri absolutely fab snow and conditions up there so don't worry everyone you'll have plenty of choice and great ski conditions, snowed most of friday and looked great yesterday when we were leaving.

Thanks for the update Snowman, I'm of to Samoens next sat. Never been to the area before but heard that the blue long cascades run is good, you mention its closed, do think its likely to open soon or are there more serious problems?

Razz
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Squig1981, don,t think much of sixt was open at all, locals say it is lovely run and they expect it to open as soon as theres more snow, quite a bit fell at weekend so should be good. Samoens fab village beautiful buildings we fell in love with it, great high speed gondola up and lots of runs to choose from, you'll have a ball.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
squig1981, Cascades is very prone to avalanche and rock-fall. It is rarely open this early in the season... and the Sixt ski area I think opens mid Jan? It is then only usually open until mid March. Cascades is a good run (once or twice) but there is a lot of polling at the top part, and the bottom (which is amongst some wonderful waterfalls) is very icy most of the time. During a weeks skiing, you are very lucky to get a "nice" run down cascades top to bottom. Sixt (when open) has some of the quietest (but slowest) lifts I have ever seen, and is a wonderful half day if you like Red runs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowmam, Wanna buy an apartment there? wink
snow conditions
Second day here in samoens. Snowed during the night at village level maybe five or six inches, still snowing this morning. Certainly below freezing in the village and am told the freezing level is going to stay for a while. Should be great conditions today... Just need a bit of sun now ( fussy or what )!!!
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, Selling up? Shocked
snow report
how much?
latest report
Just back from an awesome afternoon up the mountain. I'd put the new snow at around 30-40cm though much deeper in places. Visibility varied from good to awful where we were today, favouring the not so good. Didnt spend much time on the pistes but from what i saw they were looking good but with the odd icey patch here and there. First chance of the season to test out the new powder skis and you couldn't beat the smile off my face with a snow shovel.

On another note, the GM much be the only ski area i know that underestimates new snowfall. They are reporting something like 15cm at the top....there is more than that in Samoens village!
snow report
Website suggests that Combe was open again today? Anybody know if that is true or is the local dispute ongoing?
snow conditions
steve, Testing the market... not bothered either way.
squig1981, PM me if you are serious... 2 bedroom mezzanine apartment... see link in my signature for our website and pics. I was kinda joking with you, but we are currently "on the market", would rather discuss by PM if you were interested.
ski holidays
Left Flaine on Saturday. As others have said, Wednesday was one of the most miserable days on the slopes I have experienced but Thursday and Friday were brilliant. On Friday morning with a guide turned right at the top of the DMC, skiied along side the drag that's never open, dropped down towards the top of the L'Aup de Veran telecabine ('the egg') and stayed off piste virtually all the way down to the bowl. Powder between 15 and 40cm deep, making fresh tracks all the way. Saw only 2 other skiiers before the top of the egg and only about 8 others on way down to bottom. Lack of snow means that there are still plenty of holes for the unwary but apart from that the conditions were brilliant. In the afternoon we turned right at the top of the egg but the visibility (flat light) restricted our movements due to many holes. Powder was everywhere, even on the pistes. Snowed all Friday night and was still snowing when we left Saturday lunchtime. Road up to Flaine very difficult, snow chains or good tyres essential. My son is out there this week with friends - I'm very envious!
ski holidays
I can confirm that it binned it down today! It was snowing continuosly all day. I think it's finally stopped snowing now, but Snow Forecast has some more coming in by the end of the week (hope it doesn't mess up transfer day too much!) I wouldn't like to guess how much snow is out there, but things are looking much better than yesterday. As already mentioned the snow is deeper in some places, and where it's thin the ice from the warm/rain spell is coming through.

simo1234, I didn't make it over to Les Carroz today. Combe Bas (the bit below the Gron chair) was definitely closed yesterday. Quite a few people were ducking under the wire, but it was getting late so I headed on up the Gron. The GM website is saying that Combe Bas is going to be open tomorrow, so I'm going to head over and see for myself.

And, for those Marvel lovers, it was closed this morning but open this afternoon. Should be open again tomorrow. Good snow all the way down, except for a couple of small icy patchees near the bottom. Really quite too.
ski holidays
Quote:

Wanna buy an apartment there?

Stevo the saddler, I would like nothing more but not in the market at the moment, am still trying out different areas have to say three valleys hard to beat but samoens lovely prefer ski in/out.
Enjoy the rest of season you lucky ducks mine is finished for this year ready for a sun holiday now.
ski holidays
How low the snow? Any news on Cascades? Not there til 20th but would like to do Cascades...
snow conditions
You do cascades for the views, and the restaurant, (book prior!). An excellent run for cross county skiers though.
ski holidays
I can confirm that the lower section of Combe is open. The wiggly bit through the trees has gone, so it's just a straight run through to the gondola station. I guess the dispute must have been resolved?!

The snow today was very good thanks to the large amount that fell yesterday. There's still some patches at the bottom of some runs where the fresh stuff has been worn away, but on the whole very good. With more snow being predicted on Friday anyone coming out next week should be set for a good one!
latest report
Quote:

With more snow being predicted on Friday anyone coming out next week should be set for a good one!

Woohoo, yeehaa, and other such screams of joyousness Very Happy
Let's just hope that Manchester airport doesn't delay me too long on Saturday morning!

P.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pauly69, we had a bit of a nightmare last Sat. We were flying from Bristol to Geneva, and when we got to the airport the board was showing a 30min delay. The time for departure came and went, and after little to no information we finally had a "delayed until 12:40" for our 10:45 flight. We ended up taking off at 13:25. However, we were the lucky ones as the 12:55 flight was cancelled.

It also appears that we were given their plane as things in the plane had the 12:55 flight number on it. There was now snow in Bristol or Geneva. The most likely thing is that some planes were in the wrong place due to the snow in the North. Oh, and to top it off we had to wait 45 mins for bags to appear at Geneva.

All that being said, I'll take a 2.5 hour delay and 45 mins for bags any day over having my flight cancelled!
snow conditions
yesterday (Tues) Geneva was running well..... flights delayed from UK but Geneva was doing it's part..... 30mins to get through!!
latest report
Flight scheduled for 06:55 on Saturday - not too fussed if we have to suffer a few hours delay as long as we get there sometime on Saturday!

Here's hoping for an on-time-ish flight though (fingers crossed).

Praying to the weather-gods for no/little snow in Manc on Sat morning.......

P.
snow report
To add a little more to the thread, we have recently come back from a week in Morillon 1100. As previously noted, the Wednesday was awful. And the state of the Sairon as we headed up for the first run was a sight to behold, absolutely on its last legs.

Thankfully over the week however there was a LOT of snow, several days of continuous dumps, plus all the cannons were working overtime when temperatures allowed.

As of Tuesday 5th:
- The Marvel (5km green run down into Morillon 1100) was officially open, and decent all the way down.
- Even the runs down into Morillon village seem to have enough snow to be passable (didnt ski them, just from observation, though I doubt open yet).
- The Combe down into Les Carroz was open with a good base right down to the bubble lift.
- Forrestiers and Lou Darbes (off the Combe) were not open, but this is only because they havent been able to piste the massive amounts of powder (makes for some excellent skiing though!)
- The red Marmottes run down into Samoens was showing some rocks and debris near the bottom, but with a few more days Im expecting that will be fine now.

New six-pack lifts from Samoens to Tete Des Saix (Chariande Express) and from Marmottes to top of the Arete (Les Molliets) are excellent, just what was needed. The bottle necks seem to be solved, lifts are much faster and we didnt queue once, straight on the lifts every time. Now all they need to do is speed up the Sairon lift and it'll be top class!

Have fun everyone.
Preo.
snow report
Whoops sorry got too distracted by the GVA situation.

I've been up for the past 2 days and conditions are ok, I say OK because that's about as good as it gets imo.

Yes it looks good, but there's not much depth to the snow and what is there they've been very careful with which has made for quite uneven pistes.

Here's a photo from just above Kadeuse;
snow report
marcellus

That's a bit negative, we are all back home looking forward to coming out to what seem to be great conditions considering the recent weeks, and you make out that it aint up to much. The picture looks great to me and I'm sure you are being super picky about conditions.

Having said that, thanks for the photo, and I hope you enjoy your time out there even if it can only be "ok"
latest report
Apologies for the previous post, I read it back and it doesn't read anything like it meant to, hope nobody takes offense. Thanks Marcellus for the updates to now.
snow conditions
squig1981, no offence taken at all......... I'd love to say it's great, perhaps I am being super critical but when you're sitting on the Airon chair looking down at The Chamois red run and you can see several bits of ice base layer in January and going down Bergin and come over a ridge to see "pebbledashing" across the piste you can't really describe it as anything other than ok....
ski holidays
Are things different up at Flaine??? Seems to be much deeper.
snow conditions
I have to agree with marcellus. Above ~1300m the snow is fine. Down the bottom of the runs in to Morillon it's not so great. I just came down Marvel with my daughter and in the last ~600m there is mud, grass, and stones coming through. It's not looking pretty. I think it's really suffered this afternoon as people have headed for the trees in the low vis. This morning it was great as it must have been pisted before it snowed. Some nice fresh stuff to float over snowHead

Anyway, that's me done. I'm out of here tomorrow morning.
latest report
Thanks marcellus, and m00958, for the updates, should be out there now, but local airport was shut, so now not back to later in jan.

Unfortunately not some much off piste as i have really stuffed my knee, looks like a operation in April ish Confused
ski holidays
carroz, sorry to hear about the knee. Hope you have some fun when you get back out here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy