Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Flaine this morning due to high winds again only the Petit Balacha and Pre open to start with. About 10.30 the Tete des Verds and Col de Plate. 1.30 ish the DMC, Aup de Veran and Perdrix. At 3.00 it was 9c by the DMC
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

i have never has such a bad build up
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a.j., Yes feeling the bruises, left knee is not too hot, i will be an ibruprofin (sp??)n addict at this rate!!, hopefully will ski with daughter tomorrow as its a tradition of ours.

According to next door neighbour its getting a bit muddy in places down timalets, and its now spitting with rain up top of gondola

our last day tomorrow, until after the new year mania, back start of jan.

Cham meteo states temps are all over the place so its all up in the air really.

Libertine its not that bad, 3 years ago it was much much worse

so a.j., m00958, Libertine, gsb have a good christmas Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 24-12-09 17:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carroz, merry Xmas to you too, and thanks for all the updates.

I'm sure we'll all have a good time one way or another Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the updates... more snow soon hopefully. Happt Christmas GM lovers (and eveyone else)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Merry Xmas all. Was raining quite hard in Flaine last night at 10.00 but this morning about 8cm of fresh snow on balcony, still light snow but worried it might turn into rain. But it still beats being at work. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well I skied today, asgsb, said rained from 10pm last night to about 6am this morning (how do i know, if you have kids......)

Visibility was non existant this morning, quite a few snow showers. Rain damaged snow rather badly low down near village, and blue down to telecabin was closed, but its fine at top of telecabin level, with about 10cm new snow. Timalets down to the village was suprisingly ok, with a few bare bits but not much.

Knee held up and i seem to be able to ski fine, Very Happy walking is not so good??

back in 2 weeks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the not so good news updates Carroz, hope your knee is ok, arriving tomorrow, hope the reality is not so bad as the picture I have in my head, so cold here in Ireland we've had minus 5 and more at night can't believe the snow is not falling on the alps, not on Morillon anyway, murphys law, wherever we pick will have the worst snow, ah well Im sure we'll make the best of it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowmam, The reality is fine, i would not worry. Conditions low down are not fantastic, but there is snow and it is very skiable. Higher up it is quite good. I have skied a lot worse here in previous years. It is very cold here tonight.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carroz, thanks for the update, on Xmas day too! That's commitment Smile Or is that, you should be committed? snowHead

Maybe they can run the canons over the next few days to repair some of the damage.

8 days and counting...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Man, do I miss carroz's updates!

If anyone is out there, can they post just how badly the rain is damaging the snow. Also, could you explain why the bottom of Combe is shut (according to the GM website)? They are reporting lots of snow at resort level, but that run seems to be closed all the time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
m00958, combe - land dispute tied into catering rights of the new telecabine station and Annies bar at the top of the Timalet (same as last season)...... last season they cut a divert round the trees but toward the end of the season this was declared unsafe by the prefecture.......... how come carroz, has stopped updating his topic? wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marcellus, thanks for the info. How is the snow holding up?

Does that mean Combe is going to stay closed for a long time? What I really mean is, will it be open when I'm there in 4 days Smile

I was there end of March this year (2009, in case anyone is reading this in a few days snowHead ) and the bottom of Combe had a nice little twisty narrow section through the trees, and then popped out on to a final run in to the gondola station. Was it either of those bits that were unsafe?

I wanted to take the wife down to Les Carroz, but I don't know whether she would be able to manage Timalets. I've not skiied it either. Is it a hard red? Or more a purple? Very strange they wouldn't find a way to keep the only blue run back to resort open. Guess there's always a trip down the gondola if she really wants to see Les Carroz.

carroz is back in just over a week, I believe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
m00958, it was the twisty bit through the trees that was condemned.

I personally think it's unlikely to open.. Annie is standing her ground and so is the Marie.

As for Timalets.......... it can be done slowly as it's wide enough
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd guess it's been tipping down with rain in Les Carroz, and probably Flaine, too. Really grotty driving back from Geneva up the A40 and the Arly Valley today - slopes which were nice and white a few days ago going brown and grotty. It was chucking it down up to 1600m - which was as high as I got - and still well above freezing. The next couple of days look equally grotty. I shall spend them doing all my post-family laundry and ironing, I think.
snow report
hello marcellus, don't be silly its not my topic!! Big Wink I am sure we can all update snow conditions

Should be back in just over a week, with a torn acl (oh bug ger as they say!) so knee brace it is

In the summer a piece of combe was fenced and little trees were planted on the piste

combe was open last week, but was shut after wednesday as it was full of rocks.
snow report
carroz, sorry to hear about the knee.

marcellus, the little twisty bit was good fun, but I can see how it could be dangerous.

I'm confused Confused So, there's a dispute between two restaurants. How does this effect a piste? Who was planting trees on the piste? And why?

Is it the lack of snow keeping it shut, or the dispute?
ski holidays
I am out on Saturday, cant wait. I'm unsure of what to expect snow wise tho. I take it you cant ski to Sixt looking at the webcams?

Any pictures would be great Very Happy
snow report
Libertine, snap.

The forecast is looking promising. It's going to rain again tomorrow, and then the temps are going to drop. It will hopefully then start snowing on Friday afternoon/evening, and in to Saturday. The long range forecast is then pointing to temps staying below freezing at 1100m, and hopefully some snow on Tue/Wed.

If that happens it'll be happy days for us! Most important is the snow on Fri/Sat. Really need that to happen. Fingers crossed snowHead
ski holidays
Libertine, oh, and if you want to see what it's like check out the GM website and Les Carroz website for their webcams.
snow conditions
m00958, In the summer, I was told that owner of land was in some sort of dispute, so refused to allow piste across it, stuck up fences and planted little trees. In the summer they were cutting some of the large trees in the wiggly bit.

However combe (without wiggly bit) was open last week.........

The link from the bottom of timalets to the gondola goes across what is peoples gardens in the summer!
snow conditions
carroz, thanks for the info.

I had just conducted a google search for French reports of the dispute, and after translating them with Google (we're a google household Smile), had managed to figure out what you had just posted. A lot easier to understand what you've typed though. Here's a quick example of what was translated
Quote:
Everything would have been met for the champagne "farts" departing from tracks Carroz earlier this season: the snow god has poured more than enough, and tourists eager for this white powder have sensed the track. But the pristine white carpet could be held. Too much purple-red anger, due to a dispute between the station owner. Result: three tracks, including Combe, the single blue run back to the ski village, part of the Forest and Lou darbs are currently closed to the public.

Not sure what a champagne fart is, but sounds like something only rich people have snowHead

Here's hoping the dispute is sorted.

I did wonder why a ski run was so close to people's houses Smile
ski holidays
what happened was (alledgedly) is that the owner of the old snack bar in the old lift station "Bought" the rights to have a snack bar in the new lift station.

Alledgedly she paid the old mayor the money for it.

This woman is the same woman who owns annies bar and a strip of land across the Combe.

When the new Mayor came in (2008) the woman asked where her snack bar was going to be and if it would be ready for last season.

The new mayor knew nothing of the concession and said no.

So in October 2008 the trees were planted and the woman refused to rent her land to the lift company.

The lift company cut the divert in December 2008 and in March 2009 it was closed by the prefecture.

The issue still has not been resolved, the "woman" doesn't actually need the money (she's from one of the old families of Carroz) so is now arguing as a matter of principle.

The Mayor is also standing her ground as she refuses to be held to ransom.

Therefore legally the womans land cannot be pisted.

The woman is now persuing her claim to the concession through the courts but reality is that as she knew it was an under the table deal she is unlikely to have any success.

As for the Timalets, yes it is private land but like most ski resorts the owners of the land have long standing agreements to rent the land to the resort during the winter
snow report
marcellus, that explains a lot.

Sounds like she's on a hiding to nothing. I'd be surprised if a court upheld an under the table deal. Can't imagine she's making too many friends locally either.
ski holidays
it's an interesting one;
> everyone wants the combe open
> most understand the womans issue
> most support the mayors position

However - there been a massive backlash against the former mayor for everything that he alledgedly did during his time at the post.
snow report
marcellus,

How are things over there mate?
It's looking pretty bleak on the cams! The slope with the button behind the chalet in Carroz were we stayed in January is looking very brown indeed!

We're due out on the 10th of Jan, haven't booked anywhere to stay yet as if the rain continues next week we might swerve it and go somewhere higher. I'll be gutted though, as that trip in January was one of the best that I've had in 15 years.
We all really fell in love with the place.
snow conditions
Lucan, TBH not fantastic... although current clients are out every day and coming back with braod grins on their faces having had a superb day..... they're going up from the Samoens side though..
ski holidays
Just had an email from my friend in Les Carroz. "It has been truly the most unpleasant day I have ever seen in the mountains today and everyone is miserable! However it looks like that is the end of rain and it's saying snow from now on so, as you say, fingers and everything else crossed!!"

That was yesterday and I just checked the webcam and it looks like there has been some snow overnight. Here's hoping for more, we go on Sunday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New snow line at about 1100, still a little rain at 700m though!

All clients have gone up the mountain today so will report back later on conditions.
snow conditions
marcellus, that sounds promising.

Just 2 days until I get there, and things are starting to look up a little. Just need a big dump in the next 48 hrs snowHead
snow conditions
Keep up the reports Macellus much appreciated. Must try to meet up on one of my trips. I am out 24-28 with friends... one of which is staying in Carroz at Hlf Term so we will be having a road trip to find his digs. The cams look better today... am expecting miserable reports back from my guests who went over Christmas Sad Oh well... can;t guarantee the weather.
snow conditions
Very quick update for all those GM fans out there... Went up the mountain today expecting the worst after the constant heavy rain we've had over the last couple of days in Samoens only to have an excellent day! lots of new snow (30-35cms in places i would say) and above maybe 1700-1800m the snow was lovely on piste and light and deep off piste Smile lower down towards Carroz it got a bit thin and heavy but still enjoyable. I did notice a few of the higher pistes looking a bit rough towards the end of the day but that's hardly surprising considering the pounding they're getting this week, it'll bash out im sure. Was going to attach some pics but not sure how you do it on Snowheads so i'll leave that for now. So if you're heading out soon, dont worry it's looking good! right im off to the pub....
snow conditions
Guys. Please keep up these updates - much more informative than official snow depths.
snow conditions
Here we go, not the best pics but should give you an idea of how much fun it was NehNeh My GM geography isnt the best yet but i believe these were taken on and around the red Chamois run...

ski holidays
paulmclean85, looks nice and white.

Did you take those pics with a box brownie? snowHead
snow conditions
paulmclean85, nice pics. seems there is even some sun about ! Very Happy
snow conditions
paulmclean85, my mistake... didn't realise they were links Embarassed That's what you get for browsing on your phone!
snow report
Another update from my roving reporter in Les Carroz - "You'll be pleased to know it's currently chucking down with snow!!!!!! HOORAH!!!!!"

Just in time for my first ski trip in 2 years (pregnancy ruled out last season!).
snow report
AllyK, that's good news.

We're getting on our flight at 10:45 in the morning. Hope the weekenders don't track it all out before I get on the slopes on Sunday.

Looks like there will be some more snow coming in on the 4th, and then hopefully clear blue for the rest of the week snowHead
latest report
We get there Sun lunchtime but won't ski til Monday when hopefully conditions will be perfect! Have a good one Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy