Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
It's snowing fairly hard in Samoens village just now and has been for the last 4 hours or so. We had rain before that so there should be quite a bit higher up now. Who ordered all the saturday powder days this year?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
any updates pls???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clear blue skies, winding this morning so routes over to Flain closed this morning, some of the lower runs icy!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from Half Term week in the GM. Had a wonderful week. Mixed sun/cloud then some some for a lovelt quiet ski on Satruday.

Generally good conditions, but the inevitable crowds at this time of year means the busy sections are getting bumpy/icy in the afternoons. The new lifts seem to have really helped. Not a single hold up in Samoens all week... Carroz (Molliets) was brilliant too... the only major clogs were Morillion (as per usual... they need to sort that next) and the gondola in Les Carroz. But overall, for half term it was OK.

Almost everything is open and skiable... the only doddy bits are really low down, but still skiable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from Flaine - it was snowing fairly hard when we left on Saturday at 7pm. Snow in Flaine was fine, with lots of new snow on Thursday / Friday. Earlier in the week the runs down to Morrilon and other lower villages were a bit worn - skiable, but plenty of stones showing through.

Queues weren't a problem at all - the biggest queues seemed to be for the lifts carrying people from Les Carroz etc. into Flaine in the morning (e.g. Verlan) and back again in the evening (e.g. Corbalanche) and the runs weren't that busy given it was half term.

Snow and runs definitely better higher up in Flaine and the new snow on Thursday / Friday was a delight.

Hopefully that and the new snow falling on Saturday will make it even better and also give some more cover to those nice tree runs down to the lower villages.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh god, come on snow!!!! Going for a week this Sunday to Les Carroz so please please please give me some positive news!!!!
Have heard some reports of rain at Les Carroz this week - please tell me things are going to improve?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rossco, Don't panic... all will be well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus, stevo_the_saddler, CGB, Thank you! I can smile as all being well will be there soon.... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just come back from 8 days with the family, conditions good almost everywhere and pleasantly surprised by the (relative) lack of crowds. Having said that 2 of our party were wiped out by idiots skiing too fast in busy areas Evil or Very Mad fortunately no serious damage done.
Back out with friends this weekend and not liking the look of the forecast, stevo_the_saddler, do you know something I don't Puzzled I'd love to believe that all will be well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimum, Trust me... there will be some snow for you to ski on wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevo_the_saddler, please do tell us more............. i wish i shared your confidence!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
High temps and forecasted heavy rain doesn't fill me with confidence for our trip next week Sad Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be there the week after brianr. Hope there's some snow left - not liking the wigglies!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brianr wrote:
High temps and forecasted heavy rain doesn't fill me with confidence for our trip next week Sad Sad

Don't say that Brian, we need to think positive thoughts!! Bloody rain, go away!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was up skiing this afternoon and so far things are holding up fairly well. There was heavy rain down at Morillion 1100/les carroz, and although the pistes were heavy, they were holding up very well. Above 1500m the snow was accumulating quickly and i've heard reports of lots of new snow over at Flaine so i wouldnt worry too much yet... The biggest problem today was the wet snow sticking to everything - i'm sure i finished every run about 10kg heavier.
snow report
paulmclean85, That'll be the cheese fondue... not the snow!
snow report
Still looks like plenty of snow at Les Esserts http://www.grand-massif.biz/webcams/Esserts.jpg and rain/snow limit is mostly forecast for 1000m from tomorrow so it should help!
latest report
rossco, I'm hoping the Sat rain doesn't materialise to much...pray that the forecasted deepening low tracks more northwards meaning we'll have some fresh snow on arrival. It can easily change and I've been to Flaine before when the freezing temps were above 3000m and it didn't really make a huge amount of difference...although it wasn't pissing down Sad
snow report
I was over in Flaine this afternoon and can confirm that the snow on the Front de Niege looked good!
snow report
Thanks marcellus, good to hear.
latest report
Happy to admit to a touch of Weather Forecast OCD - at least things looking less severe than a few days ago - any reports on piste conditions between now and Sat mucho welcome
latest report
Just spoken to our chalet hosts and they have told me not to forget my chains as they are expecting some heavy weather from now until Saturday.....
snow report
Lots of wind high up, so links to flaine from les carroz and morillon shut. Snow is very very soft and spring like. Some quite big queues for lifts, especially gron and the telecabine in les carroz. In morillon the red bergin is brown near the bottom. Quite a few bare patches appearing between the bumps, virtually everything is getting rather bumped up due to soft snow and umber of people. Combe is very rocky just below gron.

Just started to rain hard in village as i left les carroz at 3.00pm, was snowing at top of gondola, and is still raining now down in cluses.
latest report
I went for a quick blast this afternoon and can't add much to what has been said about the overhead conditions. It was grim. I was stuck in the Samoens area because of closed lifts and everything i skiied was soft but still holding up well so nothing to worry about above 1600m. Snow falling above 1800m, rain at 1600m and a bit of everything in between! The temperature gauge outside my apartment (aka a pile of snow i step over every day) reads 'melting like buggery'...but thats at 800m so who cares? overall things are fine and lots of fun to be had Smile
snow report
legue wrote:
Lots of wind high up, so links to flaine from les carroz and morillon shut. Snow is very very soft and spring like. Some quite big queues for lifts, especially gron and the telecabine in les carroz. In morillon the red bergin is brown near the bottom. Quite a few bare patches appearing between the bumps, virtually everything is getting rather bumped up due to soft snow and umber of people. Combe is very rocky just below gron.

Just started to rain hard in village as i left les carroz at 3.00pm, was snowing at top of gondola, and is still raining now down in cluses.
Sad
snow report
I am not feeling very confident for our holiday next week Sad

Looks like we have picked the worst week to go.....
latest report
paulmclean85, you don't perchance work for the tourist office do you :bleh:
snow report
No

Just my first ski holiday for 4 years and am gutted at reports of heavy rain!! rolling eyes

Am looking at Snow Forecast's 6 day report and it looks like the rain is going to ease up, just hope the temperature drops some!

I kind of get the feeling that we'll be getting the lifts back down to the village rather than skiing down?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rossco,

Don't worry the sun is coming out....

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/world_weather/city_weather.html?cityID=33X30077&tx_mgcityweatherstatic_pi1[cityIDuse]=33X30077
snow report
rossco, It will be fine... don't panic.
snow report
Thanks for the link and reassurance guys!

Always feel responsible when I have researched and arranged a holiday for 5 people if the weather isn't as it should be....
ski holidays
rossco, cham forecast is the one to use, and it usually suggests anything over 2 to 3 days ahead could change, so anything could happen next week. However tomorrow will be very windy and snowy, but if it all calms down it could be good next week.... Puzzled

http://www.chamonix.com/page.php?page=11&r=meteo_chamonix&ling=en
snow conditions
errrm legue, hate to direct you to an atlas.. chamonix valley is the next one and The Grand Massif often has very different weather to it
ski holidays
marcellus, nah i don't but i'm sure i could do a job for them. Things arent that bad though...not yet anyway. Or maybe my optimism comes from being brought up skiing in Scotland where rocks, mud and dead animals on a piste are 'part of the fun'?!
snow report
marcellus, the GM website always uses the Chamonix forecast, in fact Les Carroz has it in full on it's weather forecast page so I imagine it must be the same Puzzled
latest report
paulmclean85, glad to hear things aren't that bad.....yet. I'm back tomorrow evening with 7 friends for a long weekend so fingers crossed.
snow report
All - thanks for the encouraging reports. Like rossco, I also feel a tad responsible since I have arranged our trip for me and 5 others. Hasn't helped by me getting the French holiday dates mixed up Sad

Also agree with legue, after a stormy Sat night, things could turn out not too bad. I've lost count of the number of ski holidays I've been on when you think the weather/conditions are going to be p1sh, but it invariably turns out fine.

paulmclean85, I grew up ski-ing Cairngorm - you forgot to mention the horizontal ice balls - ironically it's shaping up for a bumper weekend once the storm over here clears.

I'm heading over with 5 other guys who will no doubt be looking to sample the local Les Carroz nightlight...so if you see a group of 6 Scots blokes please do say hello.

Here's to dropping temps tonight and snow down to village level rolling eyes
snow conditions
I'm with marcellus, the weather in the Giffre valley is often very different to Chamonix.
ski holidays
Well, things seem to be looking up!!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Carroz/6day/bot

A little rain saturday night/sunday morning at resort level but then no more forecast, but snow forecast right down to 1140m instead!!

Perhaps I should stop looking at weather reports now that I have found a positive one Very Happy
latest report
rossco, defo looking a lot better - wind may be a problem Sat and into Sun but apart from, things looking pretty good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy