Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
I lied.... i couldn't dig the bus out until I dug my way to the bus on my drive and then managed to beach the bus on said drive and couldn't get chains on as the snow was over the axles so had to dig the bus out some more before I could get on my way!!

Good news is no snow at GVA so everthting should be ok really!!

Pics, you want pics??????
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marcellus, yes please
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevo_the_saddler, It was bliss!!, about knee deep off piste, skied until 12.30 as had to take and return from airport.

Bit foggy at first, then blue sky, sun, wonderful light powder. The bowl down and around vernant lift was brilliant.......

(and raising the toe of my bindings by 2.5mm has worked wonders, no quad ache now)

It was joy today, roll on tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another excellent day, decided to take a class to iron some of my bad habits....... Puzzled

Very busy on piste, no real queues for lifts (but classes jump them!)

Off piste rather tracked but still fun

Snow is excellent everywhere i skied, down to les carroz, even combe had no stones for a change

Hopefully tomorrow will be quieter....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well it was quieter, and seemed less cold starting out, but was rather cold at the top of tete des saix. Snow is in super condition, still pockets of powder to be found. Really sunny this morning, but light went a bit flat late this afternoon. However knee aches like hell today.....grrrr

It is now snowing heavily, hopefully another powder day tomorrow.

Can recommend les carroz esf, daughter is really enjoying her lessons (best ever so she states) and my instructor has pulled apart some of my doubtful technique, and is reconstructing it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Look after that knee, if it hurts now...

I trust you haven't been trying the bamboo monsters. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine has been brilliant this past week for snow with a massive dump over Friday into Saturday. Off-piste on the board was supreme with waste-deep snow coming down from the DMC and through the trees. Should be a great week for anyone going with a good top-up to the base - statistically well ahead.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Top up last night was about 30cm, snow is perfect no other word to describe it.................

even some sun this afternoon, off piste around tete des saix was brill, i am very very tired tonight........... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carroz, wow that's great, lot's more than reported on GM website Very Happy

Friends of mine are just back from a long weekend and said it was the best snow ever!

Fingers crossed that freeze levels remain low, there's quite a lot more precipitation forecast.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
can someone help on a ski pass question please?

off to samoens in march and for a number of reasons too boring to go into here am not able to buy a ski pass in advance online, the usual way would be to get it from here - http://www.skipass-flaine.com

does anyone know if i/we can buy a ski pass on a daily basis from the telecabine office in samoens? i know it will work out more expensive to buy it that way if we ski every day we are there but chances are that if we are there for a week we'll only ski on 3/4 days so buying ad hoc suits best

TIA
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JONR, Yes you can. Very helpful staff too and rarely any queues except perhaps at 8:45 for a few mins
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JONR, From memory... its about 40€ per day and not that much of a saving if you buy 3 days (I think 114€)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JONR, Yep - that's what we do every year. Means we can be flexible with the time we ski and can just get a debutante pass if staying with the kids.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brilliant thanks for the replies. Skimummy sounds like you are in the same situation as us!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JONR, Skimummy, we usually only get "Massif" when we have the kids with us... 8 year old not yet ready for the carnage on the way down to Flaine Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Another excellent day, no new snow however, and off piste is a bit tracked. Snow in really superb condition this morning, but warmed up this afternoon, and got windy. south facing (down to vernant) and west facing slopes in less carroz the snow softened a lot.

re lift passes, there is now a 24 hours of skiing pass for massif, no idea how it works???
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Mine are only 4 & 6 - had their first proper year last year. The 4 year old has a free Grand Massif pass (lucky girl) and the older one had debutantes in Sixt for a few days, Samoens for a couple more and then graduated to a Massif pass for the last two days.

carroz, please keep the snow reports coming - at least until 6th March!! snowHead
ski holidays
Skimummy, carroz, I'll second that - we are off to Les Carroz on 7th and all snow reports (weel good ones!) are really appreciated.

By the way you carroz experts - any recommendations as to which ski school is best - ESF or ESI, in Les carroz and any preferences for shops for ski hire in Carroz? Also where is teh best place to get a guide for off piste for me and my wife - one boarder and one skier?
snow report
Snow today was rather wind blown in places. Did the combe de gers and snow was good, but crust on top caused by wind. However everywhere else was basically fine. It has warmed up a lot, enough to make the snow on south facing slopes very soft like yesterday, and most of the snow has gone from the trees.

lib-banana, We have used both ESF and ESI and it really seems to depend on the instructor you get. I took lessons for (with ESF) the first time in years this week and have had one of the best instructors ever. He has found and tried to fix all my faults.

My daughter is in 3* ESF and has 5 in the group and Quote "best instructor" (her words not mine).

You can ask in the ESF building how good the instructors English is, mine they described as ok, and i would say really quite good. (my bad french has helped a little bit!) My daughters instructor speaks excellent english.

Its our last day for about 3 weeks tomorrow, Sad Confused (and needs to be as my dodgy knee is a bit tired!) so someone else will have to do the updating.
snow report
carroz, many thanks for the advice - we'll ask the chalet to advise I think; any ideas for off-piste guides?
latest report
lib-banana, off piste guide ask for christophe at the bureau de guides in the village square centre. He speaks good english

The experience my daughter had 2 years ago with ESI was not that good, instructor reaked of booze everyday, so its ESF for us from now on.

Its really dumping with snow after rain at village level last night, huge amounts of snow, about 2 foot on piste, blowing a gale high up
snow conditions
It's dumping here too, but nasty wet claggy stuff outside our window at 1550m - hopefully less claggy further up, but it's only just below freezing. We had no rain last night, but only about 1-2 cms of snow. It's warmer than forecast - I guess quite a lot of lower areas are having a somewhat unpleasant day.
snow conditions
Slacking people... this was on page 2.... how very dare you!
ski holidays
Hello -Does anyone know if you can buy a half day lift pass, and how much it costs, for Flaine? Our flight arrives early,so may want to do a few runs in the afternoon. Thanks!
snow report
mcphail, hi, yes you can buy a half day Flaine pass - 29 euro from 11.30, 23 euro from 14.00 (adult). These are from last season but I imagine it's much the same.
snow conditions
Going on SATURDAY!!! anyone else? Another good week hopefully, it all sounds XLNT.
ski holidays
I will be arriving (very late) on Saturday for family ski hols (i.e. carrying several sets of skis, putting on more than one pair of boots and queing lots). The joys of half term week!
ski holidays
haha! I know that feeling, still only 3 more years of tied to half terms... and the kids (teens now) can almost (!) remember everything they need before we get to the telecabine...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey peeps... any updates for me before travelling tomorrow?
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, we had heavy rain right to the tops a few days ago which....nah, only joking

We had a decent amount of snow on tuesday night/all day wednesday, way more than forcast. I spent wednesday down around Les Carroz and Morillion because vis was so bad but pistes were in excellent shape with a little ice and stoney patches only on the low/steeper/busy sections. The red down to Vercland was a bit dodgy in a a couple of spots but overall it was in good shape and great fun! I spent Thursday off-piste lapping a certain bowl until I ripped a hole in the base of my ski. It was awesome though, some of the lightest powder i can remember. The piste down to Flaine from Samoens was in good shape early on in the day but that's all i can comment on piste wise from thursday.
The two new lifts seem to be handling the crowds well. I've not had to wait more that a couple of minutes at the Chariande Express, and have literally walked onto the Molliets lift every time i've been there. This is my first year in the Grand Massif but from what i've heard that's a huge improvement!
latest report
paulmclean85, Thanks for that. Grand Massif as a whole is usually brilliant (i.e. very few queues), but during Feb, there are (or were?) 3 or 4 clogs... one being the 2 Chirandes around ski-school start, the other bad one is the left hand lift at Morillon 1700. Not spent too much time around Carrots (as it is known in our family), but the new lift did seem good when I was there a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the update... 13 hours in the car tomorrow and I will be skiing sunday God willing.
snow conditions
slightly not snow report related but so many of you here know the lie of the local land! we had a fabulous week in Samoens last year for our last (as it turned out!) childfree skiing and are thinking we might be able to get away with our little one late March but for a change of scene going to Morillion instead - anyone any idea if there are any babysitting services there who would look after will be 3 month old for a couple of half days? We decided we can't cope without snow....
snow conditions
always29, I doubt you'll find much on offer in Morillon Village up at Les Esserts there might be more.

Where did you stay last year in Samoens? they might be able to find a baby sitter for you.... also there might be a snowhead or two who might be looking for some €€€€s
snow report
always29, we are off with 360 sun & ski in les carroz in a few weeks with our 2 - they offer child care (totally flexible) in a catered chalet - or there is a resort creche on offer too. We took our eldest away when he was just 3 months - no problem, so go for it!
ski holidays
thanks marcellus - last year we stayed at the nemea residence grande tetras, basic but what we needed. The accom I've looked at is in the village, I'd have thought they'd be more services their so that's interesting what you say - how would self catering compare between the village and les esserts (supermarket etc)?

thanks too lib-banana - although we'll be self catering (mega low budget!). not wary of taking him away (should the passport office ever do their job, need his passport before the potential skiing trip, grrrrrr!), just trying to fathom out how I might get some runs in!!!

back on topic - snow looks and sounds good from what I've read / looked at!
ski holidays
been out today, and i would say the bottom of La Combe had pebbles and the return to Morillon was not good!!

lib-banana, of the differences between the supermarket at Les Essserts and Village.. if you;ve got a car then you can get to the Carrefour Marche which is ok!
ski holidays
Hi guys,

Just reading through the thread..... any positive snow forecast for the next 2 weeks? We are going to Les carroz on the 28th for a week so I'm hoping Combe etc. lose their pebbles and Timalets holds up!!

Thanks,

Rossco
latest report
rossco, Combe nearly always has a few stones as its gets lots of traffic. Timalets is always better as there is lots of snow making on it, does get bumped and or icy sometimes, plus often half of it is shut as lots of races on it.
snow report
rossco, too early to really make any sense of the forecast yet!!

But current forecast is for light dustings Wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday and sunday!
ski holidays
I'm praying to the snow gods for lots of snow next week leading up to the 28th Feb!! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy