Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pregnant Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, sure but that is of people who want to go skiing. Quite alot of UK women may feel quite ambivalent about it.

Whilst my wife was happy to go skiing at about 8-10 weeks she had rotten morning sickness - but was happy to be on holiday getting catered for and childcare.

About 13 yrs ago we went with a friend and his then 5 month pregnant wife- first run - he heads down a busy, bumpy icy lack- how she laughed. We didn't see much of thenm for the rest of the week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh yeah, morning sickness on a gondola is quite fun. Will she? Won't she? Place your bets!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So how can you get pregnant whilst skiing???

Sorry what was the question?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got pregnant whilst on the skiing holiday; not whilst actually skiing (husband is not a whale!). Am sure the toffee vodka has a lot to answer for!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ed123,
Mumsnet is even more biased than here. They think skiing is highly dangerous and to be avoided even if you are only *thinking* about being pregnant.

Of course, it's far more dangerous for pregnant mums to be taking asprin, paracetemol, etc than going skiing, because over-the-counter drugs (nor others for that matter!) are not tested on pregnant mums.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To add just another view-point...
My wife skied when she was 2-3 months pregnant and found that she wasn't committing into turns properly because she was afraid of falling over and doing any harm. This limited the amount of enjoyment she was able to get from that year's ski trip. She felt physically fine and able before we went on the trip.

So while in early stages of pregnancy, you might feel confident *before* getting on the slopes, it may be a different question once you're *on* the slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio wrote:
My mum......(daft old bat)....

paulio wrote:
....my other half....She's a loon, basically.

There's a definite theme to the women in you life, paulio
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OH came with us to St Anton whilst pregnant (about 30 weeks) but decided against skiing. On one particularly glorious day this precipitated a state of such depression that when I met her off the slopes she was well into her second large g&t (other than this she gave up the hooch whilst carrying). So you takes your choice, chance of a spill on the slopes vs the danger of pickleing the unborn. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW, Yes, I'm almost reluctant to mention it in case she reads here - but there's one woman over there who blames her chromosomal abnormality on a "soft fall" during pregnancy. Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think its difficult for her to predict how she will feel at 5 months. Its all so different for everyone. We went on holiday at 27 weeks with my first and all I did was go to the loo!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't ski after around 12/13 weeks, when the baby rises up , but then I spent the first 7-15 weeks throwing up so badly I got hopitalised with it. So I didn't feel like doing anything at all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123, it's entirely down to personal choice! I wouldn't suggest anyone did if they didn't feel 100% comfortable. But to someone's who's as comfortable skiing as they are walking - why not? It's a normal daily activity, not an extreme sport.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a question or two.
If you take a fall and things go wrong how will you feel?
Is it worth it?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
first time you let your children walk to the shops on their own, if it goes wrong and they are in an accident, how will you feel?
Is it worth it? Best never to let them out of your sight?

nixmap, I take your point, and my missus didn't ski, but life without risk is bad for you and your children.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Mumsnet is even more biased than here. They think skiing is highly dangerous and to be avoided even if you are only *thinking* about being pregnant.

Yes, but they're a bunch of neurotic high-maintenance loonies. Why would anyone pay them any attention whatsoever?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, haha thank you so much for that - I agree completely!

nixmap, How did you stay sane sat on the sofa for 9 months? Have you left the house yet? What if a meteorite falls from the sky and lands on your sofa? Shocked
snow report
Alexandra, I thin k you'll find nixmap, didn't do the sitting
snow conditions
beanie1, ;I agree completely.

I just don't think asking other people what to do all the time is a particularly good idea- when the answer is as you say personal! Also I think that lots of the factors to take into account are very personal indeed.
ski holidays
My very pregnant daughter, here next week, has said she intends to spend the equivalent of a week's lift pass in the superb patisserie, where they have a lovely coffee shop overlooking the slopes, comfy sofas and glossy magazines to read. She is an active girl - windsurfs, surfs, sails, cycles, walks. She was horribly sick (still on prescribed anti-emetics though she's 7 months pregnant now) but was planning to keep walking to get exercise (when she had to give up cycling - suddenly felt unsafe and unbalanced) . But she now has pelvic girdle pain and can't walk without aggravating it. It's not the way she'd planned things at all and she's very frustrated about being so inactive, but that's just how it is. It's impossible to tell how you'll feel either physically or emotionally. But most women have pretty clear feelings one way or another about what they want to do, and what they don't want to do and woe betide anyone who tries to convince them they're wrong. wink If anyone had told me I shouldn't have been windsurfing I'd have told them to take a jump.
snow report
A point I can't see here - do be careful in very cold weather, the baby is quite big by 5 months and can chill quite easily. I skied at 5 months with my first child, it was a bit wierd as my balance had changed so I had to be quite careful not to fall.

Remember - the Eiger has been climbed by a mother who was 6 months pregnant, so everything is possible. The child wasn't harmed at all by the experience.
snow report
My wife skied for a week when she was about 4 months gone with no issues. The only thing we found unsurprisingly was she was pretty tired after Dinner and generally went to bed early most nights. She also had the odd pint of guiness shock horror....
latest report
I took at school group whilst 5 months pregnant. It was the hardest week ever. I so wanted to ski but would not take the risk. I am a very competant skier however its other people that you worry about. The childrens ski instructor tried to get me to ski all week as his wife always skied whilst pregnant. I dont think you would ever forgive yourself. I am know the proud parent of a six year old who is an amazing skier!
snow conditions
Jane L, if you mean Alison Hargreaves then perhaps not the best analogy
snow conditions
ed123, indeed Shocked
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, eep! Wasn't sure!

I've seen "worse" than mumsnet though. There's a UK-based women's forum where I've seen a big long thread about skiing/riding/diving/bungee-jumping/not following the Green Cross Code. Now, not only do these women get the heebie jeebies looking at ski boots during pregnancy, BUT they never ski/eat brie again "just in case". Sounds bonkers eh? Well yes, but they also impose this on their husbands who also must not ski/dive/sail/kick a football. Won't somebody think of the children? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

I am know the proud parent of a six year old who is an amazing skier!

skibluetiger, snowHead snowHead snowHead Great - puts some perspective into those few months of pregnancy.
ski holidays
nixmap, stop being daft.
snow conditions
Im not being daft, I stated no opinion. I asked two questions, because a true altruistic snowhead that I clearly am, I believe that every snowhead has the sense to answer those questions for themsleves. Different people will answer those questions in their own way depending on their perspective.

The questions are valid in every instance.. The answers may vary from couple to couple. Its not up to me to assess the risk without knowing the specific conditions.
snow report
paulio wrote:
At 7 months my other half chose to walk from ground level up to the middle stage of the Eiffel tower

It's great if they're feeling fit. At 7 months my other half walked all the way up sgurr dearg and then climbed the Inn Pinn on Skye. It was very funny watching the reactions of all these 'hardened' beardy mountaineering types who were hugely pleased with themselves with 'conquering the hardest Munro'. Especially when we saw them again in the car park having found a quicker way down.
But back the the original question. Mine skied during both pregnancies. I'm in the [un]fortunate position of having bottled out of the Grand Couloir in Courchevel but number one son has been down it.
Snowboarding seemed like a bad idea but if you're a decent skier and fit, then what's the problem? I agree that someone out of control could crash into you but exactly the same can be said of letting the kids ski when they're 3 or 4 years old.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TheGeneralist, You can't come around here spouting your common sense and all! Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but they're a bunch of neurotic high-maintenance loonies. Why would anyone pay them any attention whatsoever?

Not sure why I'm even reading this thread*, but that post alone made it all worthwhile. Lizzard - Lovin' your work! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Edit: probly because I'm REALLY bored at work, and I'm going skiing in four days time! Madeye-Smiley (don't believe I'm pregnant though, although the scales say otherwise Embarassed)
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Agreed but they think they rule the world. Mumsnet is a scary place as is the NCT, child rearing is a cult! wink
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Agreed but they think they rule the world. Mumsnet is a scary place as is the NCT, child rearing is a cult! wink

Are you sure you spelled that correctly, Nade? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I always wonder how long it would be before a website called Dadsnet was branded as being sexist Puzzled

Perfectly ok to have a Mumsnet of course rolling eyes
snow report
My wife skied last year while 3 months pregnant and had a great time. She wasn't sure whether she would enjoy it and was prepared to just sit around relaxing if necessary, but she ended up skiing as normal. At 3 months she didn't really look very pregnant and could still just about fit in her regular ski pants, but at 5 months she was looking properly pregnant and I doubt she would have skied at that point. But I wouldn't be put off by the worry brigade who only focus on the worst possible case scenarios.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
My wife skied last year while 3 months pregnant and had a great time. She wasn't sure whether she would enjoy it and was prepared to just sit around relaxing if necessary, but she ended up skiing as normal. At 3 months she didn't really look very pregnant and could still just about fit in her regular ski pants, but at 5 months she was looking properly pregnant and I doubt she would have skied at that point. But I wouldn't be put off by the worry brigade who only focus on the worst possible case scenarios.

Well I fell on my shoulder a couple of weeks ago on a red slope because of poor visibility and fractured my clavicle. I couldn't ski down to the resort so I was pulled down and it was a bumpy ride. I wouldn't want that to happen to me if i was pregnant (which is technically impossible because i am a male!)
snow conditions
Link to Dadnset, Boris, just in case you wanted it; http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/dadsnet Not much talk of pregancy or potty training going on there though (I notice the 2 most popular topics seem to be about sexual technique and asking for a perineal massage.) Even the most supportive of dads struggle to get to grips with breast-feeding and childbirth, which is probably why there is a need for a site called Mumsnet. Or it could just be called Non-specificGenderParentsNet. Laughing rolling eyes

Just think, you lucky lucky boys. You'll never have to worry about whether skiing while pregant is feasible.

FWIW I have skied while pregnant, both times before the uterus has risen from within the pelvis, so the baby is still protected. The main issues are tiredness (so get you husband to carry your skis to the slopes snowHead ) and looser ligaments. The ligament thing made itself suddenly apparent to me halfway down a black when one leg failed to respond quite as quickly as I had expected it to. I skied very cautiously after that. The biggest danger to a decent skier is other, less decent skiers.
latest report
Quote:

Just think, you lucky lucky boys. You'll never have to worry about whether skiing while pregant is feasible.

pandora, maybe, but its not easy for us. When Mrs Boris was skiing while pregnant it was in the first 12-weeks so we hadn't told anyone and were skiing with friends and parents, staying in strangely enough Ski Beat chalets Laughing As wine was free I had to drink for two of us and swap glasses around without being spotted - very tricky Toofy Grin

Oh and the Dadsnet is just a sub-section - not a full blown dads site. I have a real issue with double standards with regards to equality or more to the point the lack of common sense which goes with it sometimes
snow report
As you've probably guessed by now, skiing when you're pregnant is entirely a personal decision....so people do & others don't.

As for me - I skied when I was 6 weeks pregnant. Fell over on the first day & tore a ligament in my knee - very annoying as I could only take paracetamol to numb the pain & couldn't even drink so instead stuffed myself with delicious chalet food, chocolate & smelly cheese and put on 1/2 a stone. Ho hum.

Anyway, went home, had 9 weeks of physio and skied again when I was 16 weeks - legs clearly not working on the last day so decided to leave it until the next season. I was back on the slopes the next year with a 3-month old safely ensconced in the chalet & boobs the size of watermelons Laughing
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Mumsnet is a scary place as is the NCT, child rearing is a cult! wink

Looking on mumsnet and at the NCT - something you want to tell us? wink
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

What you need to understand is that mumsnet is populated (in the majority) by a bunch of lunatics who gave up all their pleasures and enjoyments the moment they conceived in the name of "won't somebody think of the children?" They really need to just get out, do some sport and have some fun - it's a scary insight in to what happens to SAHM who take it all a bit seriously - and quite frankly is a jolly strong argument for skiing during pregnancy! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy