Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pregnant Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

What is the craic with skiing when pregnant? Do people do it?

I have a friend who has a trip booked but she has become pregnant so is not sure if she will be able to ski or not. She will be 5 months pregnant by the time her trip arrives and has been skiing for years so is very competent on the slopes.

I reckon if she takes care and sticks to cruisers she should be fine. She could also get someone she knows to ski behind her because I think the biggest risk is someone else hitting her.

What do you think? Am I being highly irresponsible by even suggesting this?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, much as I would love to say go for it I have to say I would avoid skiing whilst pregnant. Even the best skiers can have unexpected falls and then there all the other crazy folk on the slopes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sig. other skied three times whilst pregnant.

The first time was literally days after conception we think, and she didn't even know. She fell HARD onto her lower back whilst snowboarding, which with hindsight could have been a lot worse than it was. The little bugger managed to stay attached though.

Then again at 5 weeks or so, and again at about 9wks.

She ditched the snowboarding in favour of skiing (novice snowboarder, falls over a lot - vs - rather good skier, falls over extremely rarely.) and took it a little extra special bit more carefully.

Advice from the midwife was "do not go" - but the advice of "avoid rare meat, don't eat peanuts, no pate, make sure you don't leave your eggs runny, and so on" was also all routinely ignored as well, because we think all of that sort of thing is complete paranoid, nannying, none-of-your-bloody-business nonsense.

5 months is a bit later than that though.

My mum fell very hard onto her stomach (high heels, icy pavement, daft old bat) whilst about 8 months with me, and I turned out ok. Didn't I?

Hello?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I remember on a school trip back in the 80s one of our teachers was about 6 months gone. She had to wear her husband's salopettes but other than that she was fine.

I would say it depends how good a skier she is. If she's the sort that bimbles around and hardly ever falls over, I can't see an issue. But if she's either a crash-happy lunatic or a beginner who's going to spend a large amount of time on her butt, then maybe not such a good idea.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Advice from the midwife was "do not go" - but the advice of "avoid rare meat, don't eat peanuts, no pate, make sure you don't leave your eggs runny, and so on" was also all routinely ignored as well, because we think all of that sort of thing is complete paranoid, nannying, none-of-your-bloody-business nonsense.

Thats a bit cheeky about midwives! wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about pregnant ski touring?

http://severinepont.romandie.com/get/14255/2009-12-08%20cm.jpg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like everything when you are pregnant (drinking, what you eat, what exercise you do, what work you do, etc.) you have to make a decision based on your own feelings and do what you feel deep down is the right thing.

(I was skiing until nearly 4 months on a daily basis - but it was part of my job and I didn't tell anyone I was pregnant so needed to carry on almost as normal. Biggest problem was exhaustion! But doctor had advised to stop immediately ... and I did as soon as I could).

Do what you think is right based on what you know, and whether you can live with any consequences that my arise as a result!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will be skiing this season, however I will be avoiding the cruisers because that's where the numpties are more likely to be! wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunshine81, it's not just about falling over but also by about 5 months her sense of balance may start to be affected. Also the ligaments soften gradually during pregnancy, so she may find her hips start to ache etc. Plus, she will get out of breath much more quickly.
I'm currently almost 6 months pregnant and couldn't have managed to ski at 5 months as I carrry all up front and my sense of balance started to change, plus I get puffed walking up a few flights of stairs! I was also a regular at the gym before I got pregnant and have stayed as active as possible throughout, but it's amazing how quickly things can change.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I totally agree with Hayls though, best intentions et al - I'm quickly exhausted and am out of breath quite quickly. My "skiing" may in reality becoming "looking at snowy peaks and drinking hot chocolate". Little Angel
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hayls wrote:
I get puffed walking up a few flights of stairs!

At 7 months my other half chose to walk from ground level up to the middle stage of the Eiffel tower rather than take the lift, because there was a ten minute queue and it was more expensive.

She also cycled ~10 miles a day until about 6 months.

She's a loon, basically.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My wife was 10-12 weeks pregnant with our daughter when we went to Andorra 16yrs ago. She was fine. At 5-6 months are airlines still reluctant let you fly if you're pregnant ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio wrote:

She's a loon, basically.

Well, she married you didn't she. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

At 5-6 months are airlines still reluctant let you fly if you're pregnant ?

I think airlines are generally ok at that stage as long as you haven't been advised not to travel by doctors/midwives, but it is certainly worth checking with the specific airline.

Travel insurance can be more of a problem as it tends to stop earlier than the airlines stop taking you. I'm going in January when I will be 6 months pregnant and we're having to come back a day earlier than we wanted to because my travel insurance won't cover me within 12 weeks of my due date. I think some insurers will cover you for another month or so, but it would be worth checking that your friend's insurance covers her when she is going to travel (as some may stop cover earlier, I guess).

I've decided not to ski, mainly for the reasons outlined by Hayls above, so I don't know if there would be any impact on insurance for skiing when pregnant. Again worth checking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My wife is a mid-wife and when we went skiing when she was pregnant she did not ski and would not have even considered it. All it would take would be an idiot to ski/board in to you knocking you off your feet for something unthinkable to happen. She also could not get winter travel insurance. IOf course there will be countless people who have skied and have been fine but is it really worth the risk?
latest report
If you ask the medical profession, then there are always two answer to this question, depending on who you ask.

If you ask one who skis themselves, they will say to keep skiing, as they understand that the exercise is good for you and the chance of injury to a baby in one of the most protected places in the human body is very very small. It's really no different from doing cycling, swimming, or going to the gym, or many other activities whilst pregnant.

If you ask one who does not ski, they will be horrified at the thought and forbid you to participate.
ski holidays
RobW, the exception being midwives, whose profession seems to be little more than repeatedly saying "don't do that" and "you're doing it wrong".
latest report
Thanks so much for the quick replies guys.

I will let her know your thoughts and I guess it's up to her to make that decision. That's really intresting what you have said Hayls about the balance and how quickly things change.

To be honest i think her biggest difficulity will be the maternity ski pants Very Happy .

Thanks again everyone.
snow report
RobW, Amen to that! All sitting on the sofa and eating hobnobs all day makes mummy a psychotic headcase! Toofy Grin

I am always dumbstruck by the "what if something bad happens" - nothing bad has *ever* happened to me skiing... but I have been hit by a juggernaught on the autobahn...
snow conditions
garethjomo,
Quote:

she was pregnant she did not ski and would not have even considered it. All it would take would be an idiot to ski/board in to you knocking you off your feet for something unthinkable to happen.

I fully respect your wifes decision not to ski but find the logic a little strange in as much as most people will allow their children to ski when they are less visible to other skiers and less cautious than a pregnant mum to be and therefore probably at much greater risk of being hit by others.

FWIW my wife skied whilst pregnant with both our children but took it pretty gently.
snow report
Quote:

makes mummy a psychotic headcase!

Off topic somewhat but our youngest is now 7 and I'm still waiting for Mrs Boris to snap out of that
snow report
My wife went skiing while pregnant, she had twins, I understand that twins insurance is available.
snow report
paulio wrote:
RobW, the exception being midwives, whose profession seems to be little more than repeatedly saying "don't do that" and "you're doing it wrong".
My you do hold us in high regard rolling eyes
snow conditions
yes i think it's a good idea to play russian roulette with her kid. I mean come on, the baby could be fine but also could be hurt. Is it worth taking the risk over a few hours on the slopes? We all love skiing but this is a bit extreme

Over the past few months on this website i have seen people asking whether they can ski after a heart attack, a broken neck and while pregnant. What's the next step? Skiing 2 days after you come out of a 6 month coma spell? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
What this thread really needs, is a hysterical and completely over-the-top contribution.

Oh look, there's one now!
snow conditions
Won't somebody think of the children!
snow report
Quote:

At 5-6 months are airlines still reluctant let you fly if you're pregnant ?

No problem at that stage - my daughter, who is expecting on 09 February, got her "cleared to fly" letter from the midwife today- easyJet need that for her Christmas trip. she flies back on 29 January, which is about as late as she's allowed. She won't be skiing. Neither- if the weather carries on like this - will anyone else. wink She cycles a lot, but suddenly reached that "dodgy balance" stage some weeks ago, and hasn't cycled since about 5.5 months, I think. It all depends how you feel - and you simply cannot decide that in advance. I was windsurfing to 8 months but that's just a fall into nice splashy water - hardly a danger, and I was just cruising around - no somersaults. Skiing whilst pregnant never cropped up as an issue for me - I think I would have been fine up to about 5 months, then stuff like bending over doing up your boots becomes a bit of a mission.

Skiing is probably less of a danger to an unborn baby than is smoking or drinking more than very moderate amounts of alcohol.
snow report
My bright red bobble hat, which I wear at all times, has just been doffed.

Windsurfing at nearly full term, come on! That's brilliant. \m/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quack's personal opinion - upto 20 weeks no issues at all. Beyond that. providing you are not skiing at very high altitude - and don't push it too hard - the main issue for me is more whether could you take it emotionally if someone did crash into you and you lost the pregnancy? It is a very personal risk decision and I think snowforever is bang out of order. Smoking is a way more dangerous activity. And I worry more about those who horse-ride when they are pregnant than those who ski. Bigger fall, harder landing, more chance of pelvic trauma
latest report
Skiing was not an issue for me during my two pregnancies. However, based on my personal fall record (purely based on those occasions when I was wearing snowboots and not under the influence) I would be far more likely to slip and injure myself while walking around the resort which is what I imagine your friend would do if chooses not to ski Toofy Grin
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
My wife went skiing while pregnant, she had twins, I understand that twins insurance is available.

Mrs Higs went skiing twice when pregnant, once quite early on, once the day before the 13week scan - the scan where we found out she was carrying triplets. All went fine and now they're in the outside...

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2251/237/59/592507655/n592507655_2015660_295.jpg
ski holidays
paulio, it wasn't a pretty sight. And I only used the storm sail - as it was in the Caribbean, trade winds. The only problem was getting back on the b*gger when I fell off - it was thankfully one of the earliest boards, high volume, you could just lumber back on again and pull up the sail (that bit was dead easy as I weighed 11 stone at the time). My Kiwi dentist and his partner were starting a windsurfing hotel (this was in Barbados, in 1983). He was getting some fun races together, to publicise the sport and kept nagging me to take part. I was a pretty hopeless windsurfer but I said I'd race if he had a class for over 40 year old pregnant beginners - and I'd undoubtedly have won!
ski holidays
Actually, about the hardest thing to do when pregnant is look after a couple of other young kids. But nobody is ever impressed by that! I worked till the day before I had my Barbados baby - in an air conditioned office, shuffling papers from one side of the desk to another. How hard is that?
latest report
snowforever wrote:
What's the next step? Skiing 2 days after you come out of a 6 month coma spell? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

What, and waste one whole day?!
snow conditions
There are women out there who skiied up to and including their due date - there are others who were out 5 days after a c-section.

This will get me slated no doubt, but I'm still horseriding. For those with no experience it will be hard to fathom I suppose, but this is my own horse whom I've owned for over 5 years - she probably knew I was pregnant before I did and now rests her muzzle against my abdomen. She's being sweeter than ever and really careful around me and when I ride she's being super surefooted and safe - she also won't let me go too fast!

My only concession at this stage is that I refuse to ride out with other people because I cannot trust them to control their own horses.

Right now the only time when I don't feel crushing morning sickness is when I'm in the saddle. Puzzled I'm sure there will come a time when I just personally don't feel safe or just can't get my leg over! (She's 17.2hh for those in the know)

I think there's a lot of exaggeration out there about sports during pregnancy - there's so much bs associated with skiing + pregnancy, likewise with horseriding. I knew a woman who claimed that horses caused her late miscarriage - turns out (when I grilled her Embarassed ) she wasn't riding, she wasn't even holding a horse - she fell on her back bottom when she was walking across the yard - an accident which the doctors were unable to attribute the mc to.

Of all the accidents people have had skiing, how many left you with a hurt abdomen? I've hurt my ankle and bruised my knee... never my abdomen.
ski holidays
something like 7 years ago ( i ought to be able to the sums i know) i spent a week of January whiteout in Val d'isere with the guys, telling them "i don't care, it's ok i'll be going to banff with my wife in march"

only to get home, walk in the door, and her tell me "i'm pregnant"

i don't think my disappointment of not going to Banff went down well ....
snow report
sev112, I think I was in that January whiteout in Val- 7 years ago- roads closed in town, lift pass refunded. Our oldest child was just 2 and Mrs Ed 8-10 weeks pregnant.

To the OP. I really don't think she should be getting advice this way. What are you going to say other than s 'some say yes, some say no- I have no idea who the some are?' As mentioned there will be the entire spectrum of opinion- from 'carry on past the due date if you want to' through to 'what- this is madness- she must hide from the world now'. There are lot of things to think about- fitness, experience, where they are going, her own and her partners perception of risk, her pregnancy history (for example if she has had a succession of difficult pregnancies I would think the answer would be 'NO'), but snowheads isn't the place. Dare I suggest Mumsnet?
ski holidays
I skied whilst pregnant at 14weeks and 20 weeks. I definately didn't ski very much, had alot of hot chocs, and just had a nice time. It wasn't very comfortable at 20 weeks so i did more sleeping than skiing.
Most airlines will let you fly upto 30 weeks however check your insurance policy as it will certainly not cover you for skiing whilst pregnant, and that may influence your decision. My travel insurance only covered me for work travel to 24 weeks for instance.

Also check that your travel insurance policy covers cost of having babyearly in another country as premature babies cost alot of money to look after. Since both of my babies were early ( but born in UK) it is worth considering.

Also be aware that morning sickness may still be an issue, and although the risk of miscarriage is reduced it is still possible.
The effects of altitude are also something to be aware of, I certainly felt out of breath and a bit dizzy at the top of the kitzsteinhorn (@3200m) when pregnant but was fine upto about 2600m and lower

I would go on the holiday and see how i felt about skiing after I had checked out the insurance options.
snow conditions
Wow I really did not think this would generate so much discussion Shock . Clearly lots of people have differing thought’s and experiences and I guess this is why I made the original post.

When medical professionals cannot unanimously agree then sometimes it is beneficial to seek advice and thoughts from those who have either had the experience or refrained from it. And more importantly look at what their decision making was based on and what they took into consideration.

Either way though it’s her choice (an informed one at that). I will pass all your comments on, in-fact screw that I will get her join snowHead and then she can see for herself.

Thanks again
ski holidays
A good friend of mine taught skiing until she was 7 months pregnant. The main reason being that in Switzerland you do not qualify for maternity benefit unless you work for a certain number of months of your pregnancy, unless your doctor signs you off. She was happy to continue, she didn't feel unsafe. The doctor (based in Wengen) believed there was nothing wrong at with a competent skier skiing whilst pregnant, and given the home and background of all his patients, I'd say he has a much bigger sample than most doctors.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy