Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA cabin staff vote 9 to 1 for strikes

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing wrote:
Do the cabin crew get paid triple time for working at Christmas and New Year I suspect yes.

Please Lord Surfing, let me finish my slurp of wine before coming out with a comment like that!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michelle, I hope you didn't ruin your keyboard.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michelle, Let me re-word that........

Do British Airways cabin crew get paid triple time for working at Christmas and New Year I suspect yes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, no... it seems to have come out of it okay! I wish we got paid any extra for unsociable hours... Bank Holidays are part of the job... I wouldn't mind 'looking forward' to checking in at 0450 on Boxing Day if that were the case rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney wrote:

I don't think any workers, in any industry, get paid if they go on strike.

That is why the post office workers had rolling strikes. Maximise disruption, while minimise loss of pay.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would imagine Mr Branson's grin is unbearably wide right now as trans-atlantic business customers look his way. I have business travel to book for Jan/Feb and I'll be doing it this week. Normally, I'm almost 100% BA but now I'm seriously looking elsewhere. Just can't (and don't need to) risk the uncertainty. Loads of folks must be thinking same way, even people booking for next summer and Jan is a huge booking time for summer. With or without a strike I think this episode is calamatous for BA; the last piece of a string of bad news items on top of a perfect storm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who Cares, the staff know this just time wasting "Death warmed Up". There just holding out for there agreed rights.

To me I do not care, the deal with Iberia will be off, BA will got to the wall & some other new airline will move in.

More folk should use alternative transport like trains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton, tried booking a train from london to Chicago? Tried training it from say Manchester to Frankfurt (and back)?

The new airline moving in will also be called BA but with a quarter of the staff costs, no pension black hole and hell they might even bring back Concorde.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the coming season we have over £200,000 of flights booked with BA (only 7 people over the xmas period - everyone else on KLM). It would normally have been much more but 2 years ago we decided they were no longer triple A risk so we hedged our flights. We now split (about average) between BA, KLM, Lufthansa, Air France. We also use the (not very) low cost airlines for a small percentage (about £75K next season).
All of this used to (2000 to 2004) go to BA. So, apart from anything else, their reputation has cost them over £700,000 in income for early 2010. OK they still get 200K, but they would have got 4 to 4.5 times this in past years. We are only a medium sized TO but still have to look very carefully at where we spend our client’s cash.
We have completely scraped BA from the list of suppliers for inter-continental flights and now use KLM, Air France and Qatar.
Oh and (anyone in the trade will understand this) their really crass and stupid idea of preferred partners was “really” one more nail in the coffin – of their own making. A lesson in how to p1ss off the hand that feeds you (mixed metaphors I know Blush )

BA need to sort things out our more people (trade) will drop them and then they will really have problems.

I really feel sorry for the management of BA. It seems they are caught. I remember seeing in the trade press a while ago the absolute dangly bits the pilot’s and engineer’s unions were spouting to their members. But, being as the entry level requirements (?) for pilots and engineers is slightly higher than that required for trolley dollies their member were able to see beyond the ranting of their union leaders. Unfortunately, in this case, it seems that Scargillesk scare mongering has worked for a small section of the lower echelons of the BA staff.

As far as I can see, the waiters and waitresses have no real problem with what BA is trying to do. The main problem seems to be that the union feels aggrieved that BA management didn’t talk to them before doing it. Nothing unusual there then; petulant union leaders feeling left out and looking back to the good ole days when they could actually feel they (genuinely) had a real job to do.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-12-09 9:22; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Laughing

yeah, or swim.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="Shimmy Alcott"]
Quote:

I got a train last night to Manchester
Wigan international airport was closed due to a pie eating competition so had to take the train for 19 miles
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They were saying on the news this morning that the question on the ballot paper was: Are you in favour of industrial action?

The Yes vote to this was the basis for the Unions then announcing 12 days of strikes - that question wasn't put to union members.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, If somebody asked me if I was in favour of industrial action I would assume they meant striking, it's what it always seems to be referred as in the news etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anotherproblem, yes, but they hadn't voted for 12 days of strike action over Christmas - that decision has been taken by the Unions. A subtle difference
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
And put my travel in the hands of the French train workers!? Striking's a national pastime over there! Wink
snow conditions
Think there will be a few crew that are suprised at the scale and timing of action that has been announced - the feeling before things were announced was that it would be a firm yes vote but action would be called after Christmas so as not to interfere with with their Christmas trips (many they take their family with them).
I am not suprised that this has happened but it does make me put my head in my hands and despair ever so slightly.
snow report
cathy, Your observation is spot on. It appears to be the union's management (whose jobs are not at risk) that has firstly 'rigged' the question to get the answer it wanted and has then taken the most extreme action in response. They have complied with the law (requirement for a secret ballot) and are out to make a name for themselves. That aside, this morning I booked return Flexi-plus tickets on Eurotunnel (booked to fly BA LGW-GVA 26.12, returning 2.1). The tickets are wholly refundable or transferable. Not cheap at £199 each way (and will have about £300 of fuel/tolls on top, to say nothing of nearly 8 hours driving) and I would far rather fly but I want to go skiing and this guarantees my family's holiday.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
stanton, tried booking a train from london to Chicago? Tried training it from say Manchester to Frankfurt (and back)?

The new airline moving in will also be called BA but with a quarter of the staff costs, no pension black hole and hell they might even bring back Concorde.

You forming a consortium?
snow report
Michelle,
Although I realise that BA cabin crew are not paid to work on bank holidays I thought that they were given a payment for working on either Xmas or Boxing Day. Am I wrong?

BB
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy