Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharing lift passes

Poster: A snowHead
I was in Val Thorens in the 3V in March for a week. The passes were electronic and didn't leave my pocket. No photo or name on them. We just asked our rep for two adult passes, gave her the cash and they appeared the next morning.

I can't see there is any way you'd get caught and if I were in your situation I'd be doing it for sure. In my mind you are paying for use of the lifts for one person. The fact that it's being shared by two, it's still only one person on the slopes at a time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonny220 wrote:
I was in Val Thorens in the 3V in March for a week. The passes were electronic and didn't leave my pocket. No photo or name on them. We just asked our rep for two adult passes, gave her the cash and they appeared the next morning.

I can't see there is any way you'd get caught and if I were in your situation I'd be doing it for sure. In my mind you are paying for use of the lifts for one person. The fact that it's being shared by two, it's still only one person on the slopes at a time Toofy Grin

this is my outlook on the situation aswell, as long as there is no photo on the pass, you will not get caught, i bought an 8 day pass last year for the Portes Du Soleil and didnt require my name or my picture. At the end of the day, only 1 of you will be on the mountain at any 1 time. As regards to insurance, you take insurance out to cover you as a person, so i dont see how your insurance would become invalid.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The passes are not transferable in the 3V, but I imagine that they are not too bothered about pass sharing. The reason I say that is because they have the technology in place to take your photograph when you purchase the pass. Although the photo is not printed on the pass itself, it is displayed on the liftie's screen every time you go through the barrier. However, they only use the photo on the season passes (which are exactly the same as any other 3V pass in all other respects). Now, if they were really concerned about pass sharing, would they not take photos for all passes?

DISCLAIMER - I am NOT advocating pass sharing, just providing some info on the way it works in the 3V Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AFAIK Admin has never asked for photos of everyone before buying the lift passes for the EoSB. Can't even remember seeing a name on them either.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, That's what I mean .... 3V do not take photos for anything other than season passes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I was out of action for a day last season in the 3V I lent my pass to a (female) friend who'd peviously been buying day passes - she used it all day with no problems. The next day another guy in our group was ill and lent her his pass for the day - again no problems.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue wrote:
primoz, I had an 8 day pass in Sölden and had my photo on it.

Ok I guess I was wrong. If I buy ticket, I normally buy daily or in best case something up to 7 days, and I never had to provide photo (or that they would take it). But it's also true, that in Soelden, I'm only once a year, and that time, I get 3 or 4 days ticket for free. So maybe it's only for tickets which are for more then 7 days, or different resorts have different policy, which is quite normal thing to expect. So sorry for giving wrong info Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alex_Heny said:
Quote:

clarky999 wrote:
Dont they put photos on the electric passes though? They do in Austria.

Not on one-week passes they don't.

Ah yeah I think you may be right, getting my passes mixed up!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Patch, sorry that wasn't a reply to you: started posting then stopped for a bit after which you'd replied. I agree with everything you wrote.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be pretty sure taht technically its not allowed under T&Cs but equally sure that in the post electronic ticket era lots of people will have done this. I think any resort that makes a big fuss about it when its obviously 2 parents of a child splitting duties is behind the times - I've heard of US resorts specifically selling parent passes for this very purpose at the same rate as regular tickets.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK maybe a subject for a separate thread but why is it not allowed?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, errr .... because they sell fewer tickets that way?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
standyc, this is one of those threads on SH's where I get the impression the OP has long since (& probably wisely) stopped listening, but if he was concerned about any potential insurance issues I guess the best idea would be to phone up his insurance company and ask them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A Lift Pass is NOT transferable just like a train or bus ticket.

Of course people ignore this but that is there call.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of cases where people in practice buy tickets for an entire group and hand them out. I've bought them at hotel reception, guides office etc where they certainly weren't in my name. The holders of the tickets are not the purchaser it would be interesting to see who has the contractual relationship and obligation re non-transferability if a holder subsequently passes it on and how this would be enforced in law. Now there isn't much of secondary market in lift tickets and I'm pretty sure a lift company would react severely if you stood outside the pass office scalping tickets, but practically I'm not sure how they enforce this beyond resorting to photos on everything.
ski holidays
I have just recieved my 3 Valleys passes and there is no information on them apart from 'can only be used by the person it was issued to'. There is no photo and I did not have to send a photo when ordering them.

I ordered three passes one for me and one for my husband and son all adults passes. I cannot see which one belongs to the men and which one me to.

I do not think you will have any problems sharing it.
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
snowb4ndit wrote:
I have just recieved my 3 Valleys passes and there is no information on them apart from 'can only be used by the person it was issued to'. There is no photo and I did not have to send a photo when ordering them.

I ordered three passes one for me and one for my husband and son all adults passes. I cannot see which one belongs to the men and which one me to.

I do not think you will have any problems sharing it.
Madeye-Smiley

I have just figured out that the serial numbers may differentiate male/female... My number ends in 3 and the other two end in 6. So it might be worth you sharing with your male friend and your wife sharing with the female friend to be on the safe side.
snow report
We'll be doing the same thing when we go in February.

I'll have my lesson and ski in the morning.
13 yr old daughter has a private lesson at lunchtime as she is Visually Impaired.
Wife and 8 year old daughter have lessons in the afternoon.
This means one of us will always be with my 11 month old daughter.

I was going to buy one adult and one child pass.

I think of it as the same as buying a return train ticket and using only the outward part yourself and giving the return part to someone else.
The ticket is non-transferable but how will anyone know?
latest report
I shared one with my wife in 3V last year and didn't attract any trouble.
snow report
A note on the Verbier thing: I've got a 4 vallees season pass issued online (through the Nendaz office) I'm in possession of it (in the UK) and no photos have changed hands so far.
ski holidays
Think I've just figured out the Verbier pass thing - it may be because they give me a discount as an instructor, so I have to provide my licence and they scan the pic off that.

I'm very surprised they don't require a photo for a season pass though, and when I've stood in the lift queues watching the screen there do normally seem to be photos flashing up on the screen as people pass through the gate.
snow conditions
Quote:

I have just figured out that the serial numbers may differentiate male/female... My number ends in 3 and the other two end in 6. So it might be worth you sharing with your male friend and your wife sharing with the female friend to be on the safe side.

snowb4ndit That can't be right. Unless they told you that how would you know whose was whose?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 15-12-09 10:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My mate got pulled last season in Hinterglemm for using his wife’s pass. She had his due to mix up. We picked up the passes from the hotel and they took a pretty poor picture using a web cam which flashed up on the screen as you went through each barrier...

No problem as the lifty checked she was using his on his hand-held computer and told us to swap at lunch..I think they where mainly looking for adults using youth passes or others season tickets rather than adults using other adults weekly passes....
snow conditions
The Hinterglemm/Saalbach system if fantastic. As I've mentioned elsewhere they log each and every pass going through every barrier so you can log on to their website in the evening and see where you went/how long it took/average speed/vertical drop etc. Given that they do it I assume all lift companies with electronic passes can do it - they just don't all pass the info on to the user.

However, if there is no picture attached then I can't see how anyone can tell whose is whose.
ski holidays
Topic fully covered here.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55266
latest report
Kenzie wrote:

No that's not the same situation. In that case the season pass is discounted in the expectation that the user does not ski every day, and in most cases is clearly issued to one individual with a photo.

In this case the passes are expected to be used continuously and as pointed out are usually anonymous and purchased/handed out in bulk so there's no accounting for 'you have my pass' etc.
snow report
Iski wrote:
I've had to send off photos to go on our lift passes for our week in Folgarida, apparently they won't issue the passes without a photo.

Yes we had photos for our weekly passes in Folgarida - and we saw the mug shots every morning as we passed through the main lift out of the village.

Iski - you're lucky i didn't realise on Saturday that you were off to Folgarida - I'd have bored you rigid, as was Mitch who was with us for part of the evening. We loved it. Where are you staying?

Sorry for the thread hijack.
latest report
Quote:

A Lift Pass is NOT transferable just like a train or bus ticket.

Unless, perhaps, you ski la Thuile...
New-transferable ski pass for young couples, a weekly (by days 3-4-5-6-7) unique and transferable to parents with at least one small child up to three years to offer both the opportunity to ski alternative!

Doesn't help the OP, of course.

David
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

No that's not the same situation. In that case the season pass is discounted in the expectation that the user does not ski every day, and in most cases is clearly issued to one individual with a photo.

In this case the passes are expected to be used continuously and as pointed out are usually anonymous and purchased/handed out in bulk so there's no accounting for 'you have my pass' etc.

Yes, but on pages 3 & 4 of that thread there is a discussion of this situation (shorter duration pass sharing) and the issue is well covered with reference to the lift companies T&Cs.
snow report
i was in the 3v last year and do not recall them taking a picture of the lift pass

infact, we purchased ours on the coach with the TO and im pretty sure i was handed 2 cards with no information on which was for me and which for the OH

i see your predicament and wish you the best of luch snowHead
snow report
in 2008 i got a season pass for the 3 vs i went from dec to end of feb my twin brother went in march and april never got questioned once,happy days
snow report
Tiger2 wrote:
The Hinterglemm/Saalbach system if fantastic. As I've mentioned elsewhere they log each and every pass going through every barrier so you can log on to their website in the evening and see where you went/how long it took/average speed/vertical drop etc. Given that they do it I assume all lift companies with electronic passes can do it - they just don't all pass the info on to the user.

I think all the Austrian ones do nowadays, using the skiline.cc site, and the Dolomites did a few years ago (and still do).
ski holidays
Was in the 3V last year. Ordered 14 lift passes and handed them out - no names on passes etc. I really can't see a problem with one lift pass as only one person will be on the slope at any one time. I cannot see how anyone can put up an acceptable argument to say otherwise. Puzzled

Have a great time, wish I was going there this year again, trying alpe d'huez this year...... Little Angel
snow report
Worked for two of our friends, for exactly the same reason, in Courchevel, La Plagne, Tignes, Morzine and Val D'Isere. Most French resorts are now electronic, with no photo.
snow report
Resurrecting old thread, but it's relevant. I bought a 5/7 lift pass at Bad Gastein, Austria. On one day I was ill, so my wife, who doesn't ski much, took my card. She got caught - we had to pay €50 fine, and buy a day card and my card (with 1 day left on it) was confiscated. Plus loss of €5 deposit now I come to think of it Evil or Very Mad

The card doesn't have a photo on, but I guess the scenario is something like this: as you go through the barrier to a lift, a photo is taken, linking you to the card. When you (or your card!) subsequently go through another barrier, your photo is flashed up to the operator. If they see that it's not you, they'll block your card. The next barrier, the card is red-lighted, your pal is busted, and, apparently, you're barred from the mountain. Shocked

There's no warning of this system being in operation (which I think is a little out of order - but I guess if the staff get a bounty on everyone caught, they'll want to maximise capture), and maybe it works differently; but the facts are - we got caught and they had the photo (of me going through a barrier the day before) to prove it.

The T&C are clear (well, actually, not that clear, I had to dig quite a bit in German and English before I found it - and on the German site (outside of the pdfs) it's not mentioned at all): lift passes are not transferrable, so I can't really complain. Shame they don't have the parent cards.
latest report
If you're worried about it just do alternate days and buy a day pass each day. It isn't much more expensive
snow conditions
NotAllThere wrote:
The T&C are clear (well, actually, not that clear, I had to dig quite a bit in German and English before I found it - and on the German site (outside of the pdfs) it's not mentioned at all): lift passes are not transferrable, so I can't really complain. Shame they don't have the parent cards.

Unlucky

I'm struggling to see quite what's wrong with the OP's original suggestion anyway.

All I could find on Meribel's website was this http://www.skipass-meribel.com/Content/Pages/Meribel/GeneralTerms.en-GB.pdf which doesn't address the right (or lack of it) of transferability. (the reference to the 3v liberty pass is a specific reference to a local focused pass for skiing 8-21 days). In addition there's some T's & C's about online purchase but that doesn't address the issue
http://www.skipass-meribel.com/Content/Pages/Meribel/SpecialTerms.en-GB.pdf

My french isn't really that good for this one - http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/content/pages/LesArcs/GeneralTerms.fr-CH.pdf but running it through a google translate I don't see any clauses about being allocated to an individual

I think you'd have a case under DSR if you bough the passes on-line under those terms and found you couldn't swithch around the passes - whether it would get you anywhere in reality is another thing entirely.

Looking forward to being put right however...
snow conditions
bertie bassett, just scanned through the les arcs one (didn't look at the others) and these words, which are in bold in the document, pop out Tout Titre est strictement personnel, incessible et intransmissible
ski holidays
I don't see it as being any more of a moral dilemma than say, renting a DVD and then lending it to a friend to watch too. I bet most of us would do that.....(maybe its just me! Allegedly)
snow report
Just make sure the person using the lift pass is carrying the yellow receipt you get when you buy the pass. This is the receipt you will need if the electronic pass fails at a lift and you need to go to an office for a new one, or the liftie can request sight of it if you are stuck at the turnstile.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy