Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko, Japan - Season 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
Mosha Marc wrote:
Ten days.

Ten slow days.

Ten slow, painful days.

Then I'll be there snowHead

Assuming your now there Marc, Where are the reports then????? or have you been buried in light fluffy snow Going green
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops wrote:
right, that is it, I am heading out to Japan Very Happy ..... when does the season finish ?

First week in May for the resort.

Mid-March for pow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Check this out http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/japanblog2010/ I've got 3 very good friends on this and they must be like pigs in Sh*t!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had my copy of this arrive this afternoon our very own snowHead Spyderjon and Mosher Marc are on this and I am sure they are like pigs in poo Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Linds, If you are in touch with them, tell them 'Recuperating Knee Boy in Guernsey' says hello to Olly, Big John and Jules I'm sure they will have come across them by now and none of the F*ckers have replied to my texts probably cos they are having too much fun!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Blimey, that powder looks superb!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The pics and footage on the blog IS NOT THE EXCEPTION snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're now back, but I'm absolutely knackered. Full(ish) report to follow when I find where the camera ended up.

Gsyfreerider, Olly, Jules and John were in my group at the WSA; I've got to say we had a ball - never stopped laughing, drinking, taking face shots. You'd have hated it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awesome powder for nine consecutive days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, Mosha Marc excellent. Glad you had an awesome time. How's Warren?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, you poor b*gger being stuck with those muppets for ten days, they are over this weekend for my 40th bash so I'm sure I'll get the lowdown on the trip. From what I saw on the video blogs it looked awful so I'm glad I didn't go, just the nine days of powder, I think I'd be asking for a refund....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, lets just say he's changing his user name to archilles
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc, tendon or fracture?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I'm afraid it's the tendon. Pesky bushes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc wrote:
rob@rar, I'm afraid it's the tendon.

Oh dear! Sad

Quote:
Pesky bushes.
Indeed. I got intimate with one earlier this season although not quite with such unfortunate consequences.
snow conditions
Taking measurements from Niseko Now, as of 01 March 2010 Hirafu is up to 13.1m of snowfall at village level so far this season.

The February snowfall was a decent 2.6m Wink even with a week of no snow at the end of the month.

The 20cm that fell on St David's Day (today, the national day of Wales) could be the start of a massive March in the Niseko Resort Area.

Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
Taking measurements from Niseko Now, as of 14 March 2010 Hirafu has hit its 'average' with snowfall at village level of 14.1m so far this season.

A metre has fallen in the first two weeks of March, with more forecast.

A 15m winter is a distinct possibility Smile
snow conditions
Hi Mike,

What days are you going out next year, and where would you recommend staying for the the best deal?

Thanks
George
snow conditions
Unsure at the moment.

Home in Wales looking after my dad. As long as he's well enough to be at home, then I'll be here.

Take a look here for accommodation

http://www.powderlife.com/niseko-accommodation
snow report
Ok it's been a while!

The snow is still falling! We have had really good conditions the last week or snow, no signs of the spring snow just yet!

A few pictures from the last 7 days or so (quickly ran them through photoshop but some turned out a bit poo); managed to nab some pontoons from a friend for the day, really lovely skis.....

Video from Furano from today.....

snow report
Elliot_Simcock, the condtions look totally amazing. Does it ever stop snowing up there? Do you ever get any sun or is it constant whiteout?
snow conditions
bobinch, March gets a few more days of sun compared to Dec Jan & Feb, there is never really a whiteout as such (definition on the slope is great 99% of the time), just cloudy and lots of snow.
ski holidays
a couple more Furano videos...

ski holidays
Thanks for picking up where Mike Pow left off, great to see some videos too!
snow conditions
Elliot_Simcock, didn't you see the big "No Skiing" sign when you ducked the ropes under that chair?

Me neither wink
snow report
Thanks for the videos and the photos. Every time I look at this thread I'm on the verge of booking flights. Maybe next season if I can find two or three people to travel out with...

One thing which has struck me in these photos is the relative lack of very steep terrain (a good thing in my book). How does the terrain in Niseko compare to a typical Euro resort? Are there lots of steeps but they don't get into these photos, or is the terrain a bit gentler on average?
ski holidays
rob@rar, For the 20th or so of January Ben @ Japan Ski Experience made me up a package for £1500 inc flights from Scotland, transfers, accommodation (of a decent standard) and a lift pass. Just so happens that I couldn't make it due to other commitments and other peoples other commitments but I think that is a fantastic deal. If you are looking in to it then I would give him an email (I can dig out the quote etc if you want it).
ski holidays
rob@rar, the other thing I have noticed is lots of tree's not many big open bowls/faces like you can find in many European resorts for long off piste descents....

I'm not sure one trip to Japan would be better than 2 or 3 trips to Europe (complete guess on costs).......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, the other thing I have noticed is lots of tree's not many big open bowls/faces like you can find in many European resorts for long off piste descents....

Agreed, although I think snow quality would make up for it (assuming typical conditions) the lack of long descents.
snow report
arv, could you PM me the quote? Idle curiosity at the moment, but interesting to look at.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Agreed, although I think snow quality would make up for it (assuming typical conditions) the lack of long descents.

Playing devils advocate, and IIRC Mike and Elliots reports from the previous years they do get some time with rain/no new snow......
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Maybe next season if I can find two or three people to travel out with...

One thing which has struck me in these photos is the relative lack of very steep terrain (a good thing in my book). How does the terrain in Niseko compare to a typical Euro resort? Are there lots of steeps but they don't get into these photos, or is the terrain a bit gentler on average?

1) PM Spyderjon who's looking to put a few together wink

2) Loads more mellow offpiste than Euroland, loads more trees too and shorter pitches; but there are open bowls around and quality snow is as surefire as you can get. There are probably steep sections around, but I didn't go hunting for them. Embarassed
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Playing devils advocate, and IIRC Mike and Elliots reports from the previous years they do get some time with rain/no new snow......

Of course. Same with all resorts though. You gratefully accept whatever the snowgods dole out. I think the odds of getting decent snow in Niseko are better than Europe if you look at the snow record, although I agree that past performance is no guarantee of future results.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Elliot_Simcock, didn't you see the big "No Skiing" sign when you ducked the ropes under that chair?

Me neither wink

didn't duck any ropes, skied off the back of the chair lift. Joys of having a one day lift pass! Little Angel
snow conditions
rob@rar, terrain is not a steep as Europe in general but there are some steep shorter pitches to be found if you know where to look.

as for flights i fly Cathay Pacific £520 return from Heathrow --> Hong Kong (3hr stop over) --> Sapporo (1hr 20mins from resort).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 24-03-10 16:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Elliot_Simcock, thanks, and please keep posting photos and videos. You've almost got me arranging a trip ... Smile
snow conditions
Elliot_Simcock wrote:
didn't duck any ropes, skied off the back of the chair lift. Joys of having a one day lift pass! Little Angel

Sorry, it looked like you were under chair "Downhill No 3" in that first vid you posted earlier today.

The parkies were after us there Shocked
snow report
Mosha Marc, it was under the lift that connects the right and left side of Furano, yeah if we had got caught we would have been in a bit of trouble.
snow conditions
Elliot
Furano looks rubbish Wink

rob@rar
Quote:

Most of the Hokkaido resorts are comparable to the lower lying Austrian and Bavarian resorts in my experience.

500-800m of vert, mostly treed, up to mid 30s in pitch, with the odd open bowl. There is steeper terrain - even in Niseko - but not for extended vert.

But because the snow is so light you don't need a steep pitch to ski the depth of snow that Hokkaido consistetly gets. In the past 4 winters that I've been living there / watching the season develop, the lowest annual snowfall has been 12.1m

Yes the resorts get rain. More than Vail, not as much as Whistler. But it normally lasts a day and within a couple of days you wouldn't know it had rained.

This season, the longest dry spell since mid-November has been 7 days.

There is more challenging skiing north of Niseko in Kurodake, Asahidake and Tokachidake.

kitenski
Quote:
I'm not sure one trip to Japan would be better than 2 or 3 trips to Europe (complete guess on costs).......

I've skied a little in Europe, S America and NZ and extensively in the fabled powder resorts of Utah, Colorado, Montana, Washington and British Columbia and Hokkaido wins hands down in quality, quantity and consistency.

If you're looking for the best powder then head to Hokkaido.

If you're looking for great powder and steeps, then head to Nagano or Niigata.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
kitenski
Quote:

I've skied a little in Europe, S America and NZ and extensively in the fabled powder resorts of Utah, Colorado, Montana, Washington and British Columbia and Hokkaido wins hands down in quality, quantity and consistency.

If you're looking for the best powder then head to Hokkaido.

If you're looking for great powder and steeps, then head to Nagano or Niigata.

no, no I am trying to convince myself I really don't need to go Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy