Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Theft of £40K's worth of Ski Jackets has tragic consquences...

Poster: A snowHead
It's not tragic. It's nature.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beequin, I agree that the origins 'must' be understood and acted upon, unfortunately they won't be thanks to our 'great leaders' over the last few decades and their systematic destruction of our fundamental family values for their own greed. It's a shame more of our nation don't demand those values of our hard working grandparents back and I know what most from that generation would have said about those selfish criminals.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle wrote:
Boris, well done, I was hoping that somebody would reply in that vein. I couldn't, because I really haven't lived that life. Like to think, though, that I wouldn't ram-raid a shop even if I were very poor.
I'm glad too.

My parents did live that life - a milk-lorry driver and a hospital orderly and when dad made redundant & was on the dole he quickly took up a low-paid manual job (at the local pork pie factory) so that he was working - they didn't spend money they didn't have and they didn't have things they couldn't buy. They improved their lot by working hard and moved up from rented rooms, council flat, council house to eventually buying own home and now they are happy in their bungalow and have money for holidays and luxuries (although those luxuries are probably considered a right by some - including me!!). We as children learnt that if we spent money on one thing then it couldn't be spent on another - we learnt to prioritise.

I know some things have changed in the past 35 years and it may be harder to get jobs, but I also think that some (a lot of) people think that they have a right to have everything they want (new & designer) now - we still have hand-me-down furniture after 22 years of being a homeowner, the kids have hand-me-down clothes and I'm always looking for a bargain (don't get me wrong I can just as easily fritter money away as well which is why I need the bargains!).

My sister and I are lucky, through our parents hardwork, discipline and values we don't now have to live that life - If I don't think about it then I take my relatively easy life for granted but when I do stop and think about it I am grateful.

Just because you are poor doesn't give you the right to steal other peoples property, if you do steal then you & your family don't deserve for you to die but as others have said, the train driver doesn't deserve to have to live with those tragic consequences.

Bit of a ramble but I've got it off my chest.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zwee, nicely put.

Your reference to hand-me-down furniture resonated with me. My father came (ran) to the UK from Germany in the late 30s, with absolutely no money (really, zero) and minus his beloved collection of books but, for some weird reason, was able to ship over some not-terribly-attractive German furniture of the period. This is the furniture in my living rooms to this day. I've never particularly liked it (and my sister turned her nose up at the lot of it!) but I don't hate it either, and it's perfectly functional, so I keep it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beequin, not convinced that I did what?

I was unemployed between October 2005 and June 2006 after being made redundant - do you want to see Bank Statements and the redundancy letter Puzzled Ok I was not scraping in gutters for a living but don't tell me I don't know what's it like to be worrying about paying for the roof over my head.

I will admit that compared to many I was still comfortably off, but my work ethic was to do find work. I spent several weeks in this period working voluntarily as a litter picker for the council so that I felt I was contributing something in return for my £50 a week - worth pointing out at this point that I only got the basic amount as I had been sensible and had savings. If I'd been a muppet and spent all my money on crap that I would have got an extra £50 a week for hardship - how's that work then?

During my time on the dole I had a payment delayed, as I missed my sign on day as I went to a job interview, I had told them this in advance. I also had payments docked due to a days unpaid consultancy I did in the hope of getting a job. If I'd sat on my back bottom I would have been paid - how's that sensible.

If you wonder around you will see that all low paid jobs are being taken by Poles etc, becasue they are prepared to work in menial jobs. It is not because "they're comin over here stealing our jobs". You may recall the program recently showing a Norfolk (I think) farmer who couldn't get locals to work on the farm, but they were happy to complain about the Poles who did.

When I left college (yes I know I'm lucky to have gone) I walked straight into a recession and as such I worked in warehouses, lining ponds on a golf course, cleaning cars overnight and van driving before I got my first job working as a tape monkey in a mainframe room.

In abizarre sort of way I feel sorry for the people mentioned in the OPas they have been raised in a climate of you're entitled to it all and you don't have to work for it.

I suppose the short-version of this is, I think the system is broken as it makes it more attractive to be unemployed (financially) than to be working.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if they were so poor, how did they buy the quad bikes or were they stolen too?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When all's said and done... people who have (by privilege or hard work) achieved a high standard of living do not on a whole provide a good moral example. Every day we are exposed to media exposures of corruption, expense fiddling, short term bonus grabbing etc. It is easy to condem those who are ineptly following the example society provides.

BUT... we have created a system that does reward scroungers. And there is little legal deterrent or moral disincentive to commit crime or fiddle the system.

I still say shoot the f**kers but at least let us be honest about the monster we have created.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 10-12-09 22:24; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mustdash, I am the next generation of work shy and feckless. I resent your comment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa, good points.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa, Oooops.. over esposure of exposure derived terms there. Apologies to all pedants Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman wrote:
Scarpa, good points.
Indeedy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The amount of over exaggeration and speculation here is quite ridiculous...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
The amount of over exaggeration and speculation here is quite ridiculous...

you get used to it Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, It's what makes sHs so much fun Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I've never heard of the area in Cardiff referred to, so cant pass comment

Well I have, and can. I grew up in Cardiff - and we used optimistically to describe our address as "Roath" if we were trying to impress somebody - and as the border with "Roath" was very close we generally got away with it.

There were no doubt all kinds of nature/nurture reasons why those men were thieves. They deserved to be punished but most of us would probably not wish to live in a country where the penalty for theft was being crushed to death by a train.
snow report
beequin wrote:
Roath is not a part of Cardiff which is easy to live in.

It is generally one of the better areas of Cardiff.

Which is why houses for sale in Splott are so often described as being in Roath.

Although even in Roath there are some not quite so good areas.
latest report
Quote:
It is generally one of the better areas of Cardiff.

Which is why houses for sale in Splott are so often described as being in Roath.

Perhaps the robbers came from Splatt then.
latest report
Quote:

well exactly - we were describing ourselves inaccurately as living in Roath 50 years ago. Though I didn't live in Splott, but in Adamsdown. wink But I just googled Adamsdown and it sounds as though it's being gentrified, with the Police Station in Clifton St being sand-blasted and a one-way traffic system introduced. There were no doubt a fair number of crooks in that part of Cardiff when I lived there - though it's unlikely that any of them would have owned a getaway vehicle other than a push-bike.
ski holidays
arv, Im sorry if I offended you - Im not sure if something may have been lost in translation. I think in my post, when I refer to work shy and feckless, I also elaborated somewhat onto what I meant - the "benefits grabbing, all day drinking / smoking thieves" (paraphrased) who make the lives of others a misery because they feel it is their right to have what others have worked for without actually doing any hard work for it. And for the record, Im also (just about) included in that 'next generation', and although a sweeping statement, wasnt directed at the whole generation of course! Very Happy I can only speak from experience of having to visit the sort of people described to deal with the issues they have caused / been involved in.

pam w, You're right - I certainly dont want to live in a society where the penalty for theft is death by train - think of the mess to clear up! Personally, my issue is people (not necessarily on this site I hasten to add) trying to justify WHY those lads were on the train track, making off from a burglary with £40k of stuff that wasnt theirs - its no-ones fault but their own, but unfortunately, as is so often the case, not only has it affected their families, but also someone going about their daily (legal) business. Their selfish actions will now live with others for the rest of their lives (which I think we all agree on).
snow report
Quote:

Perhaps the robbers came from Splatt then.

laundryman, only just clocked that one.... Skullie Laughing
latest report
Boris, I wasn't questioning that you had worked your way through hard times.
Quote:

In a bizarre sort of way I feel sorry for the people mentioned in the OP as they have been raised in a climate of you're entitled to it all and you don't have to work for it.

It was just this I was referring to, your own personal moral courage and your higher level of education giving you the tools to get out.

These individuals deserved to go to jail. It was just the tone of the responses that 'they got what they deserved' without any apparent qualms who I felt I had to challenge. Perhaps I ought to accept that this is the norm for internet fora and let it go, but I think a more liberal voice has to be heard every now and again.
And apologies to those in the leafier areas of Roath if I offend. My brother lived in Splott on its edge with Roath and every visitor for three years had their car vandalised. My brother's was only done once, when he changed it - once they knew you lived there then they tended to lay off. Sad but true.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
these people weren't stealing to put food on the table.

but every time we make excuses for such actions, others are "nurtured" to follow suit. I'm afraid I can't be too distressed that their DNA is out of the gene pool and that they won't be nurturing any others.

Quite right!

Since when did 'ps3' worth dying for? I share laundryman's view the gene pool is better due to their bad lucky.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy