Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone else getting a little concerned????

Poster: A snowHead
halfhand wrote:
Looking at the pics from Tignes posted on another thread, I'm positively cock-a-hoop about the forthcoming season and I'm going to Morzine Very Happy

Well, there's no need for that kind of one eyed confidence! Morzine!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I don't think you recall very well

well, I wouldn't claim it was fantastic, and I can only speak for where I was, but runs in Les Saisies were open and OK for the month. I didn't venture down in the Arly Valley after the first attempt, though - hopping from patch to patch, but that was at 1200m or so. And the later part of the season was very good. A few poor weeks shouldn't write off the "season" (though I realise they can well spoil somebody's holiday).

red 27, Laughing Laughing I agree - people who haven't been skiing long have been spoiled, by having had no really bad seasons for quite a long time. I think that was why Bode Swiller thought we might be overdue one, and perhaps he's right.

And people (including me) planning to ski at Christmas in low resorts should be well aware that they're dicing with warm temperatures. And that daft talk about "guaranteed snow because there are 14 million snow cannons" is just - well - daft talk.

It might well get very warm in France again before long. But that's by no means certain and even if we had super duper snow now it could - as pointed out - all have melted by mid January anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, NehNeh NehNeh . Somewhere in the Alps there will be sufficient snow wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia wrote:
Already December 2009 is better than January 2007.

http://www.igluski.com/france/val-thorens-snow-history_3178

What is this load of garbage? They mean that it snowed more in november this year than in november of last year? can't believe that
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
'grim' is not going skiing at all, not wondering whether (weather?) they will be 25 or 35 metric inches of snow in Bad-Skiing-Resort-Stein in 2 months time.

Those of us old enough and boring enough to bang on about the '80s will recall 'ski' holidays that consisted of; a) bus transfer to resort 125 miles away that had a glacier, b) 2.5 hour uplift via veal-truck style cable-car, egg-bubble-with-obligatory-bavarian-pipe-smoker, cable-car, walk and finally t-bar-with-enormous-bottomed-bavarian-pipe-smokers-frau to ski 2 icy blue runs with the 105,632 other punters who had been bussed in from everywhere else. For 25 minutes before it was time to reverse the journey

Guess what though? - best days of my life Toofy Grin

2.5 hr uplift? Luxury! I used to walk to the Alps barefoot, beaten by my Father all the way, before hiking with no gloves to the top of the hill where I was verbally abused by the aforementioned Bavarian and his Frau and then made to ski on unedged wooden planks on clear blue ice until my hands dropped off.

The youth don't know how good they have it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wooden planks? Luxury!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Luxury? Luxury!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laughing Laughing Laughing zammo
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I don't think you recall very well

High resorts were "OK" in January 2007, but nowhere was really "fine", particularly the last week or two.

As somebody else said, the Hahnenkann race was cancelled that year due to lack of snow, even though they had been trying to bring it in by helicopter for a week before.

And we had none at all in Neiderau, but there was enough to ski on in the Zillertal (above 1800m). Although even there, it was only on-piste, and mainly the pistes with snow cannons that were skiable.

And I don't think France was much better.

I've got to agree wil Alex on this one, We were booked to Andorra the last week of Jan 2007, We cancelled the week before as there was around 10cms of snow and nothing forecast. We ended up going to Flaine (which seemed to have the best conditions in France at the time), the drive up the hill through the lower resorts was quite frankly depressing. Apart from one thin slick of man made snow we didn't see anything until we got into the Flaine bowl itself, where conditions were OK, but not great. probably half the runs were open but most were looking worn....later in the week was fine after a big dump of about 2 foot.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

when you look at previous seasons where January has had very good conditions across the alps, they have seen snow all through December....

a questionable suggestion - as far as I can recall, after poor snow conditions until 31 Dec 2006, Jan 2007 was fine.

I don't think you recall very well Smile

High resorts were "OK" in January 2007, but nowhere was really "fine", particularly the last week or two.

As somebody else said, the Hahnenkann race was cancelled that year due to lack of snow, even though they had been trying to bring it in by helicopter for a week before.

And we had none at all in Neiderau, but there was enough to ski on in the Zillertal (above 1800m). Although even there, it was only on-piste, and mainly the pistes with snow cannons that were skiable.

And I don't think France was much better.

That was the year I went to Going in the SkiWelt, arrived on the last Friday in January, the day the Super-G at Kitzbuhel had been cancelled due to warm temps and lack of snow throughout Jan, conditions were dire.

I woke up Sat morning to heavy snow that persisted all day and night, dumping about 10 inches on my parked hire car, never felt so relieved my whole life as I had booked for a group of 15, some of whom usually opted for Kaprun and it's snow-sure glacier. Sadly it was too late for the Downhill which was replaced by a Slalom. High winds accompanied that snowfall and many exposed areas didn't benefit, we visited Kitzbuhel later in the week and it was icy and wind-scoured, although Scheffau and particularly Fieberbrunn were excellent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Come back to us second week in January and start a thread. If you are worried about snowfall for 6 weeks time, you would probably worry about the shade of black on a London taxi!

Bloody ridiculous!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley, based upon the fact that weather follows patters, its not bloody ridiculous at all. As if you look at the December GFS charts of a season whereby January has had good ski conditions - youll notice a distinct difference to the forecast we are currently getting for this December!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As I said before it is bloody ridiculous! As others have said chill and start getting worried 2nd week in January! Doubt we will hear from you then!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

weather follows patters

if it followed patterns with the kind of iron certainty you're suggesting we wouldn't need weathermen, just a bunch of computers.
snow report
it is just a bunch of computers that tell the weather men what to say anyway, isn't it?
ski holidays
Quote:

As others have said chill and start getting worried 2nd week

I'll be beyond worried then - I'm out the 1st week Laughing
latest report
i'm out the second week of january to courchevel. i'm not aware of any year where there was no snow in high altitude resorts in january so i'm pretty chilled. you need to learn to ski in all snow conditions anyway. everyone can ski perfectly groomed powder!

so unless you're doing off piste, a good or bad season won't make a bid difference
ski holidays
I was in Les Gets Feb 2007 and arrived to green slopes near the chalet on the Sunday, when it snowed like hell and saved the week. They had closed the resort mid Jan due to lack of snow and I do think conditions now will dictate January. Not so much lack of snow but lack of cold on the ground to create the base when it does snow. However I don't think there are patterns of weather.......
ski holidays
Quote:

everyone can ski perfectly groomed powder!

HAve you ever watched a beginners class Puzzled
snow conditions
perfectly groomed powder Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
The more notice I take of weather forecasts, the more I think they are pretty much worthless for anything more than a couple of days.

I'm no statistician but it appears to me that predictive models are worth looking at for either very short (in meterological / geological) or very long terms,i.e. 24 - 48 hrs or 100s of years. All of the stuff in between would appear to be a bit random and, frankly, if some clever person had a set of algorithms to genuinely predict future weather patterns then there would be a) one very well-off clever person and b) a global standard of some description. There are surely just too many variables.

I AM interested in current snowfall in the Alps because, with Christmas and NYE trips planned to Chamonix and Tignes respectively I am interested to see what base accumulation (or not) there may be. But I can't change it - my dancing, while fantastic, is not weather-inducing - so I will take my hiking boots and my tele kit and, if the snow's rubbish I will either walk or practice freeing the heel.
ski holidays
zammo wrote:
The more notice I take of weather forecasts, the more I think they are pretty much worthless for anything more than a couple of days..

Exactly, that is often repeated on here!
snow report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

everyone can ski perfectly groomed powder!

HAve you ever watched a beginners class Puzzled

what i meant was it's much easier for interemediary skiers to ski in perfect conditions as opposed to icy pistes.
latest report
zammo wrote:
The more notice I take of weather forecasts, the more I think they are pretty much worthless for anything more than a couple of days.

I'm no statistician but it appears to me that predictive models are worth looking at for either very short (in meterological / geological) or very long terms,i.e. 24 - 48 hrs or 100s of years. All of the stuff in between would appear to be a bit random and, frankly, if some clever person had a set of algorithms to genuinely predict future weather patterns then there would be a) one very well-off clever person and b) a global standard of some description. There are surely just too many variables.

I AM interested in current snowfall in the Alps because, with Christmas and NYE trips planned to Chamonix and Tignes respectively I am interested to see what base accumulation (or not) there may be. But I can't change it - my dancing, while fantastic, is not weather-inducing - so I will take my hiking boots and my tele kit and, if the snow's rubbish I will either walk or practice freeing the heel.

last monday and tuesday dump were predicted a week or so in advance and while the size of the dump kept changing, the forecast was far from worthless. Equally the sites are now forecasting warmer temperatures next week. I doubt we will witness another meter of snow.
ski holidays
Yeaaaaaaaaaa - it's dumping down Right Now
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Check it out (if they have cleaned the snow off the webcam by now)
http://www.ski.it/stream/folgarida.htm
snow conditions
Shocked latest GFS charts from 12h today @ http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
looking MUCH more promising!!!
snow conditions
aldoyle, you are going to be a nervous wreck long before your holiday. Have a look at the post by brian (one of SHs resident weather gurus, who unlike most of the rest of us actually knows what he's talking about) having a laugh about the latest run - with some wise words of caution. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56634&start=160
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, cheers for the advice, though, I've been doing it for years Smile
latest report
Quote:

I've been doing it for years

what?
latest report
worrying about the snow in Jan 2010 wink
ski holidays
aldoyle, you have changed your tune in 6 hours ! rolling eyes
snow report
I remember Valve Radios .. and when the snow was 9-foot deep in our back garden. Still did the Hovis-run though!
latest report
rolling eyes

Smokin Joe, 6 hours is an age when you are playing with worry beads all day! wink
latest report
Wayne, Web cam looks fantastic but how about 9:30 on Sunday. OMG wink
latest report
Don't forget it's the Copenhagen Summit coming up soon so the EU will be wanting pictures of Skiers sliding through slush, so there's certain to be somebody out there sorting it out! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I'm really worried, am off to Tignes next Tuesday and it could be a repeat of last December. LOADS OF SNOW Smile Smile (although a little less than the the last day last year when it closed all the lifts Sad would be appreciated)
snow report
I skied for the time this season with one foot of fresh pow.

The season is going to be good as far as I am concerned Smile
ski holidays
aldoyle, you're going to VT in January and you're worrying about the snow. Mate you need to increase your dose my friend Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone else getting a little concerned????

No.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy