Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone else getting a little concerned????

Poster: A snowHead
I guess any of you going away later than the end of Jan probably wont be too bothered just yet, however as I'm going 16th Jan I'm starting to get a little concerned about the weather forecast...
For any of you that understand the charts - this is my reasoning http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Looking pretty grim if you ask me!

And I know some of you are bound to say "its still plenty of time off!!!", however when you look at previous seasons where January has had very good conditions across the alps, they have seen snow all through December....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm in Zermatt. It's freezing cold, on piste conditions are excellent, and more snow is forecast over the next few day. I don't think there's any need for concern about trips which are imminent and I really can't see there's any need for concern about a trip which is six or seven weeks away, especially if you are basing that concern on GFS forecasts which change almost every day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be concerned if I was going to a low French resort next week as the temperature forecast is relatively high. It looks colder further east.

But January is a long way off. Far too far ahead to make any assumptions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well, weather follows patterns, and history says that when it snows through december - January ski conditions are excellent...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aldoyle, Better change your holiday to Whistler if you really believe that snow on the ground now = best mid january conditions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

when you look at previous seasons where January has had very good conditions across the alps, they have seen snow all through December....

a questionable suggestion - as far as I can recall, after poor snow conditions until 31 Dec 2006, Jan 2007 was fine.

Which bits of the weather site were you bothered by? It's a long way off to be anything other than very tentative about likely evolution of the weather.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aldoyle, where are you going?

I think the beginning of the 06/07 season was similar, mild temperatures and low natural snowfall to start with, but above 1800m was mostly OK (someone might be able to correct me here, as I didn't ski that season).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jesus Shocked I watched about 3 foot of snow fall in Tignes on Monday and Tuesday this week with snow to the Valley level. Take a pill and chill, things are great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, why would you go to a low French resort next week? none of the lifts will be open (weekends only at the moment as far as I know).

aldoyle, no, not at all concerned, just looking forward to maybe a little skiing Sunday afternoon, maybe even on new skis.

You can't read too much into the charts as the confidence in the forecasts is limited anything more than a few days out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, I wouldn't. I'm going to Italy in March. It was just a comment regarding being concerned about snow conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am I getting a little concerned? Yes, but only for the unscientific reasoning that we're kind of overdue a dodgy season. Never mind charts, important thing is which way the marmottes are facing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, queen bodecia, i actually went to Val Thorens in Jan 2007, the exact same week that I am going to Val Thorens again this season.... mid Jan.
The conditions were a bit of a nightmare! Hardpack and icey was the general order, with a few days being windy with very bad weather. Snow down in Mottaret was slushy, as was anything below VT....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
aldoyle, snow conditions are a bit of a lottery. I normally travel in March and have yet to experience truly awful conditions, but I do recall a poor January in La Plagne (mid 90s, can't remember the exact year).

However, VT is looking good at the moment!

http://livecam.valthorens.com/index.php?langue=2
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nope, not concerned at all, was skiing yesterday here in Chatel, am going back up the mountain all weekend at it's ladies weekend so us girls are free - whippee!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, nah, there were too many wasps flying around in September, that's always a good sign.
latest report
Bode Swiller, What does it mean if the marmottes are reaching out of the snow and grabbing your skis? (I'm just asking... y'know... for a friend....) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

there were too many wasps flying around in September, that's always a good sign

and later. I was badly stung by one which got up the arm of my dressing gown as I sat on the terrace having breakfast in mid October at 0900 at 1550m wink
snow conditions
aldoyle, Where are you going? It'll be fine. My son is in Arcs 2000 at the moment, & there is heaps of snow now - although not a lot when he arrived on Saturday.
ski holidays
I'm a little concerned at your pessimisim wink
snow report
Just been looking at the meteo france forecast for the northern alps, and am glad to see that whilst there's snow forecast 'most everywhere, Les Saisies is the only place forecast for "neige forte". snowHead Also, note that meteo france themselves say that "il est scientifiquement impossible de prévoir le détail des situations météorologiques plus de 10 jours à l'avance." I think that's understandable even if you don't speak much French! But if not, there are plenty of places on snowheads where you can read the same thing - nobody knows what'll be happening beyond 10 days - and anything further than about 3 days is pretty speculative. To get worried now about a holiday in six weeks time is really a waste of time and energy.

Chamonix meteo today forecast a fair bit of snow (25 - 40 cms) overnight. Please note that snow-forecast is forecasting 22 cms altogether in this episode - it's just not the case that they always over-forecast snow (as is so often asserted in this forum). chamonix meteo is one of the more reliable local forecasts.

It is true that it looks as though there's going to be a fair bit of mild weather in the next two weeks. Fingers crossed.

and yes, we are probably "overdue" a rubbish season..... wink
snow conditions
Just remembered - if you go to the meteo france site, the page where they have "Prévisions saisonnières" (from which I've taken the quote above) seems to be sponsored by the Muppet Show. Coincidence, I'm sure.
ski holidays
Quote:

and yes, we are probably "overdue" a rubbish season

? really ? are we meant to get them every 3 years? as I thought Jan 2007 was pretty crap to be honest.
ski holidays
aldoyle, Last week we had 19 - degree heat, sunshine and blue skies in the South of France on the coast. Twenty miles away the ski resorts now have plenty of snow - and it's still falling - so skiing very soon.

Howver if you reallyneed to worry , it's also possible that it will melt by the time you get here wink
ski holidays
oh no its that time of year again rolling eyes

Dont worry - they'll be more white powder than you can find in the toilets at stringfellows !
ski holidays
aldoyle, 2007 wasn't a rubbish season, even if your particular week in the 3 Valleys was "pretty crap". January wasn't the best of the century, but as a whole, the season wasn't too bad.
snow report
Already December 2009 is better than January 2007.

http://www.igluski.com/france/val-thorens-snow-history_3178
ski holidays
I was in LDA in January 2007 and it was fine, although not great, above 2100m. It must have been poor in lower resorts though judging by the number of coaches turning up daily.
latest report
January 2007 was bad, the Hahnenkam ski race that year was cancelled because of it, but if I remember right the start of that season was very poor with hardly any snow falling in December 2006. No point in getting worried now, just wait until a week before or so.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Bode Swiller, What does it mean if the marmottes are reaching out of the snow and grabbing your skis? (I'm just asking... y'know... for a friend....) Toofy Grin

told you before - stop smoking that stuff Toofy Grin

wonder why people don't make snow boots out of marmots - they look nice and warm and foot sized.
snow report
Quote:
wonder why people don't make snow boots out of marmots - they look nice and warm and foot sized.

Excessive inner snout lead, they tend to race each other.

I'm a little concerned that my "remember to pack x you numpty" checklist is getting shorter by the season and that gaffer tape, swiss army knife and zardoz all take precedence over pants and toiletries. I pity the fool who's going to be sharing a chalet with me. Other than that I'm feeling pretty relaxed, thanks for asking.
snow report
aldoyle, where are you going? I'd worry on about the 14th Jan if there has been a massive thaw and there is no cold spell in sight....
ski holidays
kitenski, Val Thorens as mentioned above^^^
snow report
aldoyle wrote:
kitenski, Val Thorens as mentioned above^^^

So one of the highest resorts in Europe and your worried!!!!

Chill
snow conditions
Quote:
... gaffer tape, swiss army knife and zardoz all take precedence over pants and toiletries. I pity the fool who's going to be sharing a chalet with me.

Sounds like all the makings of a scene from Blue Velvet on ice. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
i dont know what u r worried about
i am off to obergurgl next wk Puzzled
will be reporting as soon as i get their
snow report
As soon as you get their what?

wink
ski holidays
MazDave, perhaps he dropped dead mid sentence
ski holidays
Looking at the pics from Tignes posted on another thread, I'm positively cock-a-hoop about the forthcoming season and I'm going to Morzine Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

when you look at previous seasons where January has had very good conditions across the alps, they have seen snow all through December....

a questionable suggestion - as far as I can recall, after poor snow conditions until 31 Dec 2006, Jan 2007 was fine.

I don't think you recall very well Smile

High resorts were "OK" in January 2007, but nowhere was really "fine", particularly the last week or two.

As somebody else said, the Hahnenkann race was cancelled that year due to lack of snow, even though they had been trying to bring it in by helicopter for a week before.

And we had none at all in Neiderau, but there was enough to ski on in the Zillertal (above 1800m). Although even there, it was only on-piste, and mainly the pistes with snow cannons that were skiable.

And I don't think France was much better.
ski holidays
'grim' is not going skiing at all, not wondering whether (weather?) they will be 25 or 35 metric inches of snow in Bad-Skiing-Resort-Stein in 2 months time.

Those of us old enough and boring enough to bang on about the '80s will recall 'ski' holidays that consisted of; a) bus transfer to resort 125 miles away that had a glacier, b) 2.5 hour uplift via veal-truck style cable-car, egg-bubble-with-obligatory-bavarian-pipe-smoker, cable-car, walk and finally t-bar-with-enormous-bottomed-bavarian-pipe-smokers-frau to ski 2 icy blue runs with the 105,632 other punters who had been bussed in from everywhere else. For 25 minutes before it was time to reverse the journey

Guess what though? - best days of my life Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy