Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hi guys first post, family lift pass question 3 valleys

Poster: A snowHead
hey, so heres my sneaky thought im going skiing with my girl friend, mother, and little brother in feb to les menuires. by getting a family lift pass we will save around 50 euro each. only prob is:-

it covers 2 adults and 2 children age 12-18

im 22, mam is 40ish brother is14 but gf is 19.

question is do you think i can pull this one off and get a family pass without showing papers etc?

thanks guys.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

brother is14 but gf is 19

Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They usually ask to see passports for the children when buying 'family' passes. So perhaps not a good idea Sad
If you are going with a tour operator their rates for passes may be better than the public ones this year because of the cr*p exchange rate.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-12-09 9:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bookham_mat, No - you usually need to prove evidence of familial connection to get a family pass. So you'll need to show passports or equivalent, at which point they'll check the dates and figure out you are not eligible.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bookham_mat, welcome to SH.

If it was me I wouldn't do it as I'd just worry all week that I would get stopped - I'd rather pay the extra. They are strict - Oh got pulled over as he'd accidentally picked up our daughters instead it took us ages to persuade them to let him use it for the rest of the morning while we tracked down our daughter (ski school)...that was after they checked the computers to see all the other passes we had bought rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hopefully this year they will print on the tickets what they are. Last year you couldnt tell if a ticket was adult or junior, or single valley / 3 valleys by looking at it. And then they give people grief for having the wrong ticket!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ok thanks for the replies. the only reason it got me thinking because last year i took my brother to soll got 1 adult pass and 1 chid, didnt ask for any id or anything. we didnt even take note of whos was whos because they were identical. only diff was his was half the price of mine.!!

never mind i guess ill just pay the extra for the piece of mind. and hopefully after reading the french school holidays post(very usefull by the way) it wont be too busy on the 6th.

not long to go now, just need to get that christmas thing out of the way
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bookham_mat, I think once you have a family pass, you'd be OK. Photos are only required for season passes. When you pass through a barrier, a screen will show the liftie what sort of pass you have, but he has know way of knowing whether you are part of a family group or not. The problem, as others have suggested, may be in getting the family pass in the first place. I'm pretty sure that proof of age is required, but I can't remember if they are concerned with proof of "familyness". Certainly some organisations in France don't care too much, as long as you fulfill the 'two adult, two child' criterium, but I don't have the 3V lift pass literature to hand at the moment. I would be honest, and ask at the caisse.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers patch, well were all out to save a buck, i dunno i think im gonna go get there and see what happens. 200 euros is a lot though its a nice meal out, and for the sake of missing out by 1 year i think ill test the water when i get there. thanks for all the advice!!.

has any 1 been to 3 valley(im sure plenty have) or any 1 there 6th feb? need some good runs to ski with the are so vast i dont want to miss any "hidden gems"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bought a family pass last year in ADH -since we are really a family!-
had to take our passports into office, even think they made copies, but was quite a secure process.
Enjoy the skiing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bookham_mat, that week is French school hols but not the worst of them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HEY PAM, I KNOW IT IS BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE ITS ONLY A SMALL SECTION OF FRANCE WHICH I HOPE IS GOING TO MEAN THAT ITS GOING TO BE MODERATELY BUSY BUT NOT MANIC LIKE THE WEEK AFTER, U THINK THIS IS GOING TO BE THE CASE OR AM I IN FOR A WEEK OF LIFT SCRUM HELL?? THE WAY I HAVE FIGURED IS THAT IF IT IS BUSY STICK TO THE LA MASSE SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN AND NOT THE COURCHEVEL SIDE TO AVOID THE CROWDS. AND FINGERS CROSSED FOR SNOW FOR EV EVERY 1!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like the online limit is now 21....

From http://www.s3v.com/winter/News/FAMILY-PASS-SPECIAL-INTERNET-OFFER-185.html
You don’t have to ski together by the way!

*SPECIAL INTERNET OFFER, this winter*

*2 Adults + 2 children minimum from 5 to under 21 years old**

** instead of 5/-18 years old if the Family Pass is purchased at the resort
ticket offices*
*This offer is only valid on Internet*
*The age limit for Family Passes purchased at the resort ticket office
remains from 5 to -18 years old. *
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and that is why i love this forum. thanks alot for that. that is some gold dust information.

they surely cant ask for family links as long as the ages are right!!! thanks kitenski Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

they surely cant ask for family links as long as the ages are right!!!

They do here.
ski holidays
bookham_mat - wouldn't doing what you are suggesting you would like to do be fraud that the rest of us who abide by the law have to pay for. Do you also duck your taxes and steal from shops?

And before anybody says it's only because the lift prices are so high that people look at doing this think about the shopping analogy - just because Harrods sell swiss watches for £5,000 when they only costs £700 to make, doesn't mean it's OK to steal them.
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
bookham_mat - wouldn't doing what you are suggesting you would like to do be fraud that the rest of us who abide by the law have to pay for. Do you also duck your taxes and steal from shops?

And before anybody says it's only because the lift prices are so high that people look at doing this think about the shopping analogy - just because Harrods sell swiss watches for £5,000 when they only costs £700 to make, doesn't mean it's OK to steal them.

You have a point, but it basically comes down to what the terms and conditions are on the "family" pass. Many organisations use it to mean "group" and don't insist on the familial connections, especially nowadays when you get into the matters of civil partnerships, cohabitees etc etc, they'd have to be very careful to define family in a way that does not discriminate. How serious does your relationship with gf have to be before she's regarded as family?

Yeah, the age thing was pushing it, but as they seem to offer up to age 21 on the internet, sounds ok to me now.
snow report
I'm not worried about the relationship which means 'family' - I think the general principle is that a family is 2 adults and 2 children skiing together. The DNA relationship is not an issue.

The issue that I react to is deliberately lying about ones age to get a discount. If the rules are now up to 21 that's great and bookham_mat is perfectly entitled to get a family ski pass. If the rules define children as under 18 and his GF claims to be under 18 when she is 19, she is committing a fraud (to which he is an accessory) which we should not condone.
snow report
chill out its hardly fraud. looks like its all legit, and we are family as she is my gf and obvios other are family, therefore i think we are more than entitled. thanks for that saves us 30 notes each, which is nice when the lift passes are so expensive.

it shouldnt be called a family pass anyway it should be a group pass.

thanks again guys
snow conditions
Quote:

How serious does your relationship with gf have to be before she's regarded as family?

Can't speak for anywhere else, but in 2Alpes you'd have to have at least three children and all be living in the same household to qualify for the family rate. So reasonably serious, I'd say. Laughing
ski holidays
In La Ros you needed to provide your passport to prove family status, however last year in La Tania I don't think we had to provide any proof. It's all down to the T&Cs on the website IMHO.....
latest report
what if u share different names as i do with my mother and brother, are they not my family? and because i live in london and they live up north does that mean were not related? im just going to book the family pass.
snow report
sorry bookham_mat - if you lie about ages to get a child discount when you are not a child, that's fraud which means the cost I pay is more than it would be if you paid your fair share. As I said before it's no different to shoplifting (or putting in a dodgy insurance claim). By lying you have stolen £30 from the lift company which people like me have to make good.

If the ages have changed to 21 then you are perfectly entitled to get a family or group pass or whatever you qualify for without lying but you started the thread by asking the question - if I lie, will I get away with it.. . . . . .
ski holidays
how does some one taking advantage of a family lift pass by telling a lie increase the price of any 1 elses lift pass? this maybe so with insurance but is not the same as a lift pass, the price is the price whatever
ski holidays
any way lets not bicker about this, in the end its kicked up some very useful information, and i no longer have to lie so every one is happy. Smile Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
bookham_mat, OK, here are the 2Alpes rules, which are likely to be typical:

Family rate applies to parents/guardians and kids under 18. You need to be a family of at least five in total and you must buy at least four passes.

A family is defined as parents/guardians with children in their charge. Mates of your kids don't count, even of they have come on holiday with you. Obviously we see families with kids from previous marriages etc etc - in these cases it's up to the customer to provide evidence that everyone lives together as a family. The French often hand over a health insurance card, for example.

However, it gets more complicated: if you have two kids under 18 and one of 18+, you should still bring the older one with you because although he won't get the family rate, the rest of you will, because you are a 'famille nombreuse' and entitled to all kinds of discounts all over France. This applies even if you are two old biddies and roll up with your three adult offspring and numerous grandchildren - you two will still qualify for the family rate.
snow report
What's the average size of a family of bureaucrats?
snow report
Lizzard,
Quote:

You need to be a family of at least five in total and you must buy at least four passes.

How does that work? If you're a group 2 adults and 2 kids do you have to drag granny along to qualify? There's hundreds of people in my family, only all bar four are dead.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, to qualify as a 'famille nombreuse' there must be five of you, parents plus offspring. Granny doesn't qualify, so you would have to bring your other child or its ID. Other child might be (for example) under five and not in need of a pass, but because you have a large family, the rest of you qualify for the discount.

There are loads of discounts all over the place for holders of the carte famille nombreuse, see here: http://www.travail-solidarite.gouv.fr/espaces/famille/grands-dossiers/carte-familles-nombreuses/liste-partenaires.html The card is available to any family resident in France, whether they are French or not: http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/00206.html
latest report
bookham_mat wrote:
hey, so heres my sneaky thought im going skiing with my girl friend, mother, and little brother in feb to les menuires. by getting a family lift pass we will save around 50 euro each. only prob is:-

it covers 2 adults and 2 children age 12-18

im 22, mam is 40ish brother is14 but gf is 19.

question is do you think i can pull this one off and get a family pass without showing papers etc?

thanks guys.

Just been on the Les Menuires web site to price my family pass this year. It looks to me that the family pass covers up to 21yrs. See the attached link.

http://skipass-lesmenuires.com/catalog/
snow report
i believe its up to 21 online but only 18 in resort
latest report
yeah its up to 21 online and 18 in resort, theyll even post the pass to your house so im sure ill have no problems with it. plus means no hassle and waiting in resort for our passes. get off the bus and ski!!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy