Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand luggage question - Why?

Poster: A snowHead
I see all these questions about boots, helmets etc not being allowed in airline hand luggage. Luckily I don't often have to fly to my ski resort, however, having seen it written, once again, about Grenoble I'm now thinking: "why?"

I get the bit about the hand luggage having to fit in the bag sizer so it goes in the overhead locker, but if your boots, helmet happen to conform with this (I perhaps wonder if they would, but for the purposes of argument lets assume they do) then why on earth do the airlines not permit their carrriage in hand baggage. I get the bit about no guns, knives etc, but what on earth do they expect you would do with a ski helmet? It's seem so ridiculous, when if you were to push the issue I can't see that they could object if you wanted to wear them on the 'plane. Does anyone know why there is a presumption against their carriage in many cases?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's because in extreme turbulence the overhead lockers have been known to open and deposit their contents on top of those in the seats below. A pair of ski boots falling on your head could end your holiday before it's begun!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always take my boots as hand luggage. I did have one objection from Aer Lingus (no problem on the way out, but they objected on the way home.) The wanted me to put them in the hold and pay 20 quid for an extra bag so I took of my trainers, put them in the bag and started to put the boots on. The girl realised how silly this was making us both look, so she gave in a let me carry them Very Happy - Not sure about a helmet though, but I would guess that they couldn't really object if you were wearing it - Just tell them you are a nervous flier and you need it in case you crash
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jumper, I can understand that but the airlines don't seem to mind if you've got a load of heavy books in your hand luggage, they could do just as much damage Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is not the airlines who object to ski-boots in hand luggage it is the air-ports for reasons they say of security ie a ski-boot can be used as a weapon
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I carry my helmet in my back pack as hand luggage. Not had a problem. The backpack probably weighs more than the helmet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I went to EoSB-08 from EMids I had boots in hand luggage. I asked Easyjet and they told me it was fine by them, but it wasn't up to them. They said it's the ground agents at each airport that make the decisions locally about such things. So I emailed (Servisair I think) and got a response telling me it would be fine. On departing, the security guy pulled me over and asked which airline and which destination - Easyjet-Geneva he said was fine. Last year though we were warned on the way out of Birmingham, and on the Ryanair flight to pack boots/helmets in hold baggage before getting to Grenoble on our way home. There were dirty great signs everywhere in Grenoble airport warning that if you got to security with either helmets or boots in hand luggage they'd be confiscated and destroyed Shocked. At check in they asked everyone if they had either in hand luggage and gave the opportunity to repack to put boots in hold luggage, so the queues were very slow moving.

Nobody seemed to have an official reason for the policy the consensus being "Dunno - security innit"!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, because airport security are scum, would be my guess. IMO they are only a rung up from traffic wardens. The rules they apply bear scant relation to any laws (in some airports it's laptops out, leave liquids in, in others it's exactly the reverse), and their grasp of logistics and efficiency must be either nil or total, in that they know how to totally p1ss off passengers.

...er, is it just me? Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, your wording your question in a slightly different way from the norm has not, it seems, deterred most people from trotting out the same old same old! wink I'm sure that Michelle will be thrilled to contribute to this thread, wonder where she is. Toofy Grin (I have no idea, btw, what the answer is to your question.)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, The answer to your question ( and you would be right if you assumed the problem originated in '`the USA') is related to the airline's responsibility for safe carriage and the potential damage caused to folks by 'luggage' being so heavy as to cause damage to folks when it falls out of overhead lockers. That baseline has become distorted and vague over the last few years and why you get so many different interpretations .. but that basically is the background.

Edit - I frequently carry boots on board ... when I have ( a couple of times ) threatened to wear them, the problem disappears.

Edit of Edit ... it has nothing to do with security other than when, mistakenly, ( and that is 99% of the BAA employees ) they believe they have some responsibility for safe carriage. Ski Boots have NEVER been on the banned lists.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 21-11-09 18:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
riverman wrote:
a ski-boot can be used as a weapon

I can imagine news title: Several passengers killed, after terrorist threatened to blow off plane by ski boot.
I mean come on. Sure you can kill someone with ski boot if you repeatedly smash him on his head with ski boot. But so can you with vodka bottle you just bough in duty free, or with 3kg camera lens (I regularly fly with more then 15kg of camera equipment in hand luggage), or you can strangle someone with shoe laces Smile What can we expect next? No shoe laces allowed behind check-in line? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
primoz, Exactly .. the hypothesis is Bollox ! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's the most ridiculous argument to say it's a "security" issue. Nowhere in the rules are "heavy items" banned. If they were there'd be a huge long list of items they'd have to ban...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
primoz, don't forget the danger of being stabbed with that freshly sharpened pencil Granny's doing her crossword with.... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agenterre, I know you have experience in airport management etc - and that might be how things started - but the "airline's responsibility" for safety in lockers idea would surely only make sense as the excuse if riverman and others were wrong. The problems are specific to airports rather than airlines. eg Heathrow fine - Bristol (I recall) not allowed.
snow report
the weight argument is specious, Easyjet for example specifically and clearly advertise that there is no weight limit on handluggage.
snow conditions
Quote:

because airport security are scum,

wtf? I doubt airport security is a career choice for those that do it.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, Hence the nonsense .. I just looked at the Current AIRPORT security rules and I can not see how or where Ski Boots would be considered 'dangerous'.

Having said that there is no doubt that airport security staff at certain airports (Stansted, Bristol and Luton to name three that I have seen do it) enforce airline's hand-baggage rules ( that now appear to heave little to do with on-board safety but a lot to do with making money!) as if they were security rules. No denying it happens, and when you have a flight to make it's hardly the best time to start arguing the rights-and-wrongs of the situation!

PS .. I have never worked in airport management, I need a life too Shocked
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Megamum, your wording your question in a slightly different way from the norm has not, it seems, deterred most people from trotting out the same old same old! wink I'm sure that Michelle will be thrilled to contribute to this thread, wonder where she is. Toofy Grin (I have no idea, btw, what the answer is to your question.)

I woz on an aircraft... dealing with hand luggage Toofy Grin
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
the weight argument is specious, Easyjet for example specifically and clearly advertise that there is no weight limit on handluggage.

as long as you can lift it by yourself into the locker...

OMG - I'm off.... Skullie
snow report
So it would seem there is no real reason that anyone can think of that applies across the board for the items to be banned. It just seems to be at the whim of the airports and airlines. Why on earth doesn't someone (one of the big ski groups for example) knock some sense into these folks and get them to come up with a predictable and unchanging policy. I'm sure folks wouldn't mind complying it just knowing what to comply with. The airlines and airports don't seem to realise how awkward being inconsistent makes things for travellers.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
So it would seem there is no real reason that anyone can think of that applies across the board for the items to be banned.

You got it girl wink
Quote:
It just seems to be at the whim of the airports
yup!
Quote:
Why on earth doesn't someone (one of the big ski groups for example) knock some sense into these folks and get them to come up with a predictable and unchanging policy.

Shocked sheesh!
How many airport companies do you think there are that 'we' use? I vote that Megamum draws up a list and writes to them all Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Michelle,

Colin Matthews
British Airports Authority
The Compass Centre,
Nelson Road,
London Heathrow Airport,
Hounslow
TW6 2GW

then only the independents to knock off wink
snow report
Agenterre, we seem not to have a problem with BAA - Megamum needs the European and American details wink
snow report
Michelle, oops .. my language skills not up to it !
snow conditions
Butterfly wrote:
primoz, don't forget the danger of being stabbed with that freshly sharpened pencil Granny's doing her crossword with....

Oh yeah... another rule. No sharp pencils... especially not for Grannys and their crssword puzzles. They can use only dull ones from now on Laughing
ski holidays
I'd put my money on:

1) these rules are made up by folks who are just control freaks and the more upset they can cause the better they feel.

2) boots and, especially, helmets can be considered as body armour and could be worn for protection while committing an attack.

Solution: put boots and helmets in your hold luggage and forget about them.
snow report
altis, the problem with carriers such as Ryanair is that you have only 15Kg hold baggage allowance. Have you weighed ski boots - you're talking about 6Kg. A holdall or suitacase comes to another 3-4Kg leaving something like 5-6Kg for everything else.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis wrote:
Solution: put boots and helmets in your hold luggage and forget about them.

It would be no problem putting them in the hold if you thought the airline would get them out of the hold in the correct country at the other end. The amount of time and effort required to find boots and have them fitted, I would rather put my wife and kids in the hold and keep the boots on a seat beside me. I dont really care if they lose all my clothes. I can go to a shop and replace them in half an hour, but this isn't the case for a comfy pair of boots
ski holidays
Thornyhill, indeed - that as well!
snow report
Until we had our apartment, and left the skis, boots and now helmets there, I never had any difficulty in keeping the luggage under 15kg. If you are taking skis, put the ski clothes in there as protective packing and you will be fine.

As a matter of interest, how many of us have actually had our skis and boots lost by an airline? Have we had a poll on this?
ski holidays
I was kind of thinking about one of the big 'paid for' ski groups, how big are SCGB, or is there an international ski federation with any clout? It seems that there is lot of work, aggrevation and messing round being caused by something that seems to have no rhyme or reason to it. I wonder if one of the TV consumer programmes would take up the cause? Do other sports have similar problems?
ski holidays
The people with power are the tour operators. Who would prefer you to hire, as they make more money that way.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

As a matter of interest, how many of us have actually had our skis and boots lost by an airline? Have we had a poll on this?

An excellent point. This arguement of airlines losing luggage is spurious in my view. Having taken at least 2 return flights per year for the last 25 years or so (skiing an dnon-skiing), I've never lost luggage on any leg of any flight to most of the major european airports and a few further-flung ones too.
latest report
Having done 50+ flights for the last couple of years, I've at least had my luggage lost 4 times. This is usually on multi-legged flights. Once, I saw my bag being offloaded before the last leg (as it should have been) only to have gone missing at my final destination. Frustrating, yes! But usually, they bring your bags to your end destination within 24hrs. So could be remedied by just renting skis/boots for a day.
latest report
April (can't remember her SH name) had her skis in a SportTube lost by the airline on her way home to the US from EOSB-08. Don't know if they ever turned up but I am pretty sure she reported they were still missing a few weeks on.
latest report
So is the lost gear problem the results of failures on multi-legged flights?. Certainly for skiing in europe most travellers will fly direct with no breaks/change of planes etc..
latest report
Baggage does go missing, regularly, look up the stats, it's all published.

Touch wood, I've never had bags go permanently missing, but I have had luggage go missing for 3-4 days (on a direct flight within Europe), and know several other friends/colleagues who have had the same.

It's more the annoyance factor if you are on the way out. If all your ski/board wear and boots are in the hold and it goes missing, it's all very easy to say yeah its the airlines problem, but you're going to be the one fannying around trying to hire kit or buy new kit in the hope of reclaiming the costs (boots, goggles, base layers, trousers, etc etc), and as everyone knows if you only ever own one piece of kit it should be your boots - the last thing you want on your ski holiday is to find yourself back in a pair of crap hire boots for 2,3,4,5 days of your valuable holiday.

I always fly with everthing (including boots) I need to ride in my hand luggage/pockets. If my hold luggage board goes misssing all I need to do is rent a board.
On the way home I tend to pack it all in the hold

The security thing is utter BS - last year we had our 18 month old's "safety" knife and fork confiscated by the pillocks on gatwick security. Despite the fact they are so blunt that they are designed so an 18 month old can't damage themselves with them they were considered a greater security risk than the cutlery available in the airside restaraunts, or for that matter the heavy litre glass bottles of spirits- but for some reason they aren't security risks. Apparently, you cant smash a litre bottle of spirits and use it as an offensive weapons, but you might do a great deal of damage with a kiddy safety fork. ?!?!?!
snow conditions
ojilles, I once turned up in Canada whilst my ice climbing gear was in Chicago Laughing They did get it to me by the next morning though, but that could have proved very, very expensive as we were heading out into the Rockies with no forwarding address.
ski holidays
Scarpa, Nice! Those moments makes you realize how dependent we are Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy