Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Was Cairngorm open for skiing over the weekend or has the fat lady gone of in sulk for the summer?
snow report
 brian
brian
stevew, it wasn't open at the weekend but they are hoping to have one last hurrah for midsummer next week.

Quote:
We hope to celebrate midsummer by offering some snowsports on the 19th and 20th June and possibly midsummers day itself, the 21st June. For more details check out our website nearer the weekend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

We hope to celebrate midsummer by offering some snowsports on the 19th and 20th June and possibly midsummers day itself, the 21st June. For more details check out our website nearer the weekend.

WAHEEEEYYYYY!!!!!! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm guessing they'll have to move pretty much all of whats left of the park onto the uptrack and queue area for that to happen.... But if they pull it off... magnificent indeed Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weather is looking good at the moment for the Winterhighland mid-summer slide on Sunday. Still no word on whether the Funicular will be available as uplift, either way the plan is to meet up in the Ptarmigan Restaurant at 10.30am for a bacon roll and morning coffee before hitting the snow in the Ptarmigan Bowl before probably moving over to the Ciste Mhearaidh a short distance SE of the Ptarmigan Tow just so we'll have laid down some turns on the traditional mid-summer stomping ground!

A good portion of the Ciste Bowl remains skiable and as it becomes the Ciste Gully proper there still appears to be a good length of run on offer.

^Ptarmigan Tow comes into sight as a tourer nears the top of the climb up the Ciste Gully into the Top Basin on 15th June, Ciste T-bar to the right.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just got the official mailshot, it's on Cool

20th and 21st June - Midsummer Snowsports
We are celebrating midsummer by offering some snowsports on Sunday 20th and Monday 21st June. The skiing will be in a very limited area beyond the Ptarmigan Tow with uplift being provided by two temporary rope tows. Funicular only prices will apply (£9.75 adult/£6.15 junior/£8.45 senior & student). 2009-10 season tickets will also be valid. Equipment hire will not be available on the mountain but may be available from Glenmore Shop (tel. 01479 861253).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's party time!! snowHead

Shame the Hog Roast is at the Daylodge and not the Ptarmigan!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How cool is this! We're in our summer season here, Kiwi is open and working and Cairngorm is running lift served skiing on 20th & 21st June. MAGIC Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just seen on Facebook that Glencoe will open today (Sat) if peeps turn up. 2 Scottish ski areas open for midsummer - FANTASTIC.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, Just spotted that aswell.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If Glencoe had mentioned it at some point yesterday I'd have been there. Saying 7 hours before I need to leave (and in the middle of the night) is no use Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah! I wonder why they left it so late? Scottish marketing? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glencoe mentioned it a few weeks ago on their facebook and their email list to be fair. It was always gonna be marginal - as in if anyone wants to join us for a trudge up the hill they's be welcome

mad gangs of midgies over that way usually this time of year so would've been torture until you got up high at least!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Video of June skiing at Cairngorm. Best stuff is around 2 minutes 30 seconds:

http://youtube.com/v/ypDkzoc7Tbc
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesome guys - was in Wales today driving mountain roads but have to admit I'd rather be on the white stuff in Scotland! Very Happy
ski holidays
A couple of pix from Sunday:

^Rope Tow in the Ptarmigan Bowl.

^ Skier in the Ciste Gully, still almost 900ft vertical.

Short video:
http://youtube.com/v/UhUb1lB2WC4
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I cant believe that on the 21st of june, whilst sat at home in Manchester in 24c heat, there is still skiing to be had just over 340 miles away in scotland!!! Amazing!
snow report
any pics of what was going on at Glencoe? How much snow did they have? Did they have the upper drag running?
snow conditions
Glencoe was a bit more organic but looked fun none-the-less, and they had some kind of tri/penth thing going on with archery and bombing into the waterfall pool!! pics on their website and facebook page
latest report
Winterhighland, 900 feet!! at midsummer. Is that a record?
latest report
Based on past experience, can anybody advise on how much longer the Ciste Mhearaidh and Ciste Gully are likely to provide a meaningful descent? The loud sound of the rushing water under the Ciste sounded a bit ominous as it was.... Skullie

Anyway, they were both so good on Sun 20.6.10 that a hike up could well be beckoning Very Happy
snow report
21C in aviemore today, very pleasant if a little windy
snow conditions
barry, Very Happy
snow report
make that up to 25c this afternoon. betty swollocks Shocked

now that the "season" is "done", eagerly awaiting the first (next) dusting on the high tops to start the countdown to next season (some might well say we've already had it but I'm starting my watch from now) Cool

mountainaddict, Ciste Mhearad more likely to be the longer lasting as higher and big section of it always well compacted and great depth as it's snowhole city for mountain groups training and just folk into that. Just be careful you dont go through a roof into a sitting room wink . That's just one main section though so as to meaningful length anyone's guess really but down to the aforementioned waterfall is usually a fair while, retreating upwards to the more usual patch expected this time of year, which I would not class necessarily as "meaningful descent" but definitely worth the effort for a day's mucking about (with picnic and mankini in tow in this weather!). THat said, the gulley is looking good for a wee while yet, temps set to plunge to 15c over the next few days!
ski holidays
Cheers barry.
'Meaningful descent' probably means longer than about 100m - which is the length of plastic slope that I did a lot of my early sliding on!! Anything of Xscape 200m proportions would be a bonus!! So sounds like it could be good to go for a while yet Very Happy !!
latest report
barry wrote:
Just be careful you dont go through a roof into a sitting room wink

I'd be more worried about going through a roof into a toilet block
latest report
 brian
brian
Pics from midsummer skiing from h1lly on winterhighland:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/displaypic.php?id=16046,2307#start

Look at the ciste gully, almost skiable to the boardwalk! Amazing. snowHead

ski holidays
Any July sliding going on?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian wrote:
Pics from midsummer skiing from h1lly on winterhighland:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/displaypic.php?id=16046,2307#start

Look at the ciste gully, almost skiable to the boardwalk! Amazing. snowHead

Plenty there. And better than Australia Smile
ski holidays
Mike Pow, are they having a rough season?
snow conditions
Uber hairdrier the last few days with it being so warm and very windy, Ciste Gully now patchy, broken into two distinct sections - once the burn is exposed and the snowbridge gone the remaining snow at the sides goes quick, thus there's still a bit above no 1 gully then the wider lower section in the photo above, but a long gap below number 1 gully. Not sure I'd risk skiing any of it now, snowpack looks totally rotten so there will be very little strength in the precarious looking snow bridges.

Still a decent patch in the Ptarmigan Bowl, also large snow field on the Cas Headwall, but just a few small patches still hanging on just on Coronation Wall - which is remarkable really! Should still be a good snow field in the Ciste Mhearaidh, was going to go up for a walk this morning before the tennis, but didn't go above the Ciste Carpark today due to wind. Will go up early next week with skis to claim some July turns in the Ptarmigan Bowl and Ciste Mhearidh - not sure which day, will keep an eye on how the forecasts develop over the weekend.
latest report
With regards Australia, probably more Natural snow on CairnGorm than say Thredbo or Perisher that I've been keeping an eye on!! None the less they have a fair range of terrain and vertical and have completed 3 weeks of skiing already including a long weekend and a week of School Holidays, thanks to extensive automated snow making... *cough*
snow report
Winterhighland,

Any big snow patches still about?
snow report
Yep.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,124508,page=10

'the most snow I've skied on in Ciste Mhearad at the end of July'

you've just got to admire this level of dedication haven't you ? With people this committed skiing has a bright future in the UK. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Precursor to August - photos from today:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200910/10jul29/

Ciste Mhearad:

and a couple of turns are still possible in the Ptarmigan Bowl on the skiers equivalent of a dropped ice cream cone:

Proof of late July turns in the Ptarmigan Bowl!:
snow report
firstracks, nice work! snowHead
ski holidays
Cheers ski-finder. I wasn't going to bother skiing through the summer months this year since it had been such a good winter, but this summer has just been so pants up here it's not left me with any option Shocked and what is the phrase - you can't keep a duck out of snow? Meh, nevermind. Sod summer, I'm back! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Some more pix at http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=651 .

Some no doubt think this is mad, but they probably pay £££££££ for less distance in a fridge! Laughing snowHead
snow report
Well played and agree 100%
ski holidays
Shame I live so far from nice snowpatches Wink

Lots more fun then a fridge!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy