Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Wonder if we can keep a Scotland thread alive this year?!

Nevis:
http://snowsports.nevisrange.co.uk/

Webcam

Glencoe:
http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/

Glenshee:
http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/

Webcam

Cairngorms:
http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/morlich.php

The Lecht:
http://www.lecht.co.uk/

Webcam

Most of the resort websites are pretty dodgy, www.winterhighland.info is where all the info. is at, reports/pictures etc.

Highland Instinct is another useful resource and can be found here: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/

Noticed first snow on Ben Lomond today, the Goose has a decent covering, let it begin snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 5-04-10 15:30; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hopeing to get up for a weekend this season, going to thy glencoe i think, hope its a good season!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, Don't forget http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/ too... snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geoffers, added!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd love to think I could make it up there again this season.

Hope springs eternal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arv,

Great webcams at Nevis Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, can't take credit for it, found them somewhere else on sHs earlier!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The upper half of Nevis looks skiable already.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, looks good, fingers crossed for some more snow and some freeze thaw action of the next week!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm getting itchy feet already can't wait for some snow
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The top half of the Scottish mountains may get a sprinkle this Tues 17 to Thurs 19 Nov.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mid Mountain webcams on CairnGorm: http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/

Winterhighland has recently added a new webcam at Glenmore, giving a wider view of CairnGorm (including Coire Cas, Coire an t-Sneachda and Coire an Lochain): http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/morlich.php

Some more Winterhighland cams are in the pipeline - stay tuned.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS I know the Loch Morlich camera is not exactly level just now - will be fixed in the next few days!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like winter could be coming to the Highlands at last:D!

Winterhighland website reports:

"While there is still significant uncertainty in the numerical weather prediction models for the weekend period, the GFS in particular has persisted with a very stormy period with unrelenting gales and frequently storm force or higher winds for the Scottish Mountains from Thursday through the weekend.

One theme most of the model runs have been sticking to is one of cooler Polar Maritime or returning PM air digging in behind the storms, so if the GFS has its finger on the pulse the first true big winter storm of the season could be setting in sometime from late Saturday to later Sunday evening as the FL drops back and precipitation turns to snow to increasingly lower elevations on the mountains."
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fingers crossed, was skiing on the 6th of December last year (I know some people got it a lot earlier).
snow report
arv wrote:
Wonder if we can keep a Scotland thread alive this year?!

I'm sure we can - well done for starting it Very Happy

Hopefully winter will be kicking well and truly in before Xmas this year as has been the case the last few seasons.

Am watching the cams and forecasts nervously!
snow report
As I have said on other threads, I'm hoping I'll manage a couple of days this season - but it is a long way from London.

I'm hoping this time I will manage to ski Easy Gully at Nevis if the snow is OK for it - either jumping in or, now that I know how to do it, using my new rope. I hoped to do this last season, and some may remember I started a thread about possibly skiing from the back to walk out to the Glen Nevis carpark if there was enough snow, but it didn't happen. I hope the snow will be better this year.

The trouble is I have booked ski holidays for the first week of March and the 4th week, which already cuts out a large part of the best month.

I have never looked over the back at Nevis in summer so I don't know how rocky it is, but I'm assuming it needs a fair amount of snow to build up before all the on and off piste slopes leading to Braveheart chairlift become viable. Is that the case?
snow conditions
hignland instinct has gone offline BTW. We only got Winterhighland up here now : )
latest report
^ It's back online now, the site has just undergone a big revamp so it was probably offline briefly as a result.

^^ snowball, surprised nobody has commented yet - I believe the consensus is that a fair amount of snow needs to fall before the back corries are at their best and Braveheart is operated. This tends to be later rather than earlier in the season IIRC although I'm sure somebody will be able to contradict me Toofy Grin

The next week is looking more hopeful for base building with snow forecast as well as some cycles of freeze thaw - fingers crossed!
snow report
kill_reign wrote:
hignland instinct has gone offline BTW. We only got Winterhighland up here now : )

This post definitely confused me wink

If highland-instinct disappeared at any point then it would have just been a brief server issue with my hosts. Nothing to worry about - we're in this for the long-haul. Had our finger off the pulse for a while, but I have some exciting plans that will get us back in the public psyche.. stay tuned wink

Jamie
ski holidays
snowball wrote:

I have never looked over the back at Nevis in summer so I don't know how rocky it is, but I'm assuming it needs a fair amount of snow to build up before all the on and off piste slopes leading to Braveheart chairlift become viable. Is that the case?

Yes it is rocky and needs quite a bit of snow to fill in.... Nevis do their maintanance in November and December so don't open till the week before Christmas anyway.... The earliest I've skiied there is 2nd January...

That's not to say the back doesn't open before the spring you just have to watch out for stones covered by fresh snow if there is no base....

Snow falling on a westerly wind is the best for filling up the back corries but also creates a cornice....

The braveheart chair only runs at weekends (if there is enough snow) as getting the diesel to run it there can be a bit of a problem sometimes
latest report
firstracks wrote:
kill_reign wrote:

If highland-instinct disappeared at any point then it would have just been a brief server issue with my hosts. Nothing to worry about - we're in this for the long-haul. Had our finger off the pulse for a while, but I have some exciting plans that will get us back in the public psyche.. stay tuned wink

Jamie

ach, I meant read only. Madeye-Smiley

the sooner its back on proper the betterer matey
latest report
kill_reign wrote:
firstracks wrote:
kill_reign wrote:

Jamie

ach, I meant read only. Madeye-Smiley

the sooner its back on proper the betterer matey

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm afraid the forum won't be returning from its archived state. There just isn't enough interest to justify it's existence when Scottish ski forums are such a niche environment, and it's impossible to compete for posters against the likes of the corporate machines that are WH or snowHeads! wink Laughing

H-I has an exciting future ahead though, but a forum isn't the answer. Stay tuned wink
ski holidays
Snow on the webcams today with more forecast over the next few days - could this be it? Toofy Grin
snow report
glencoe has 15cm forecast, not bad for november. a little more will be required to start skiing thought i presume? Razz
snow report
I dunno, it will fill in with the wind up there fingers crossed it turns out to be more than forecast Very Happy
latest report
looking good at the tops!!! http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Glencoe/6day/top Very Happy Madeye-Smiley Very Happy Madeye-Smiley Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Here it comes! Where will the forecast 120mph winds blow it?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just hung my head out the window, getting fairly cold here. Nobody on the ice rink though Laughing

Rain is off in Glasgow Shocked
snow conditions
Ayrshire Andy wrote:
Here it comes! Where will the forecast 120mph winds blow it?

who said anything about 120mph, got 80mph on snow forecast
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, you sure that isn't km/h, snow-forecast is showing 80 km/h for the top of Glencoe.
latest report
The Funicular monitoring equipment on CairnGorm at 3400ft recorded 150mph today (wind accelerating down slope over the shoulder of the hill) with 120+mph at the Summit AWS. Autumn has arrived then!! Laughing

Because of the very limited grasp of terrain possible in global forecasting models, the likes of snow-forecast and most other automatically generated forecasts that use GFS data can seriously underestimate Munro and particularly summit level wind speeds for the Highlands when Atlantic depressions are forecast to track over. As a general rule 850hpa height wind speeds shown on the GFS output on various weather sites is a better reflection of expected wind speed even though the 850hpa height is nominally above the summits (exact altitude depends on surface air pressure and can drop as low as 3000ft in exceptionally deep low pressures).

The best source of short range forecasts for the Scottish Mountains is the Mountain Weather Information Service.

Given current temperature and dew points it will be snowing to at least mid-mountain level just now and some heavy precipitation is moving across the Highlands. Should have been an inch of fresh on the upper slopes of CairnGorm in the past hour with very substantial drifting.

^Webcam capture from Loch Morlich shows the effect of high winds and severe drifting, windward slopes clear of snow, with drifts on lee aspects.
latest report
Winterhighland, cheers for the info. looking good up there!!! yes, snow forecast is in mph actually, sorry
latest report
Winterhighland, great camera location - thanks. And you've straightened it up!
ski holidays
Great news from Colin on the Cairngorm blog today:

Quote:
“Could be sliding this weekend”

The boys and machines(Quad, Kubota, Fast Track,070 and 100 and skidoo) battled through some drifts on the 105 and Traverse today to get contractors up to complete shutdown work on the train and Tunnel Door. Adam took me in the wee machine(PB100) around the top bowl and it looks like we could get the Ciste and Ptarmigan on for the weekend with a fair bit of dozing and patching. However the forecast looks quite windy so will have to wait and see. We hope to get the bars on the top tows tomorrow but again the forecasted blizzards at that level might hinder things, also with another dump of drifting snow, skiing to the middle might not be out of the question. Keep an eye on the Blog and Website tomorrow for more information. Coire dog was out in front of one of the machines guiding it up the Traverse so he was well rewarded with a banger or two later on

snowHead

Also have you seen the piccies on Winterhighland taken yesterday up at Cairngorm? If not take a look, snow has come a fair way down the mountain now Very Happy :

View from Cas car park 1
View from Cas car park 2
View from Ciste car park

Must be a lot of wind blown snow accumulating up there!
snow report
Hangers now going on the tows Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Love the drift of snow in front of the ladder snowHead
snow conditions
Also pisting is underway right now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Am also liking this from MWIS:

Quote:
How Cold?

-3 later -6C, but will feel more like minus 15C

Freezing level

600m lowering 400m.

Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Saturday, 28th November, 2009

As low pressure over North Sea eases away, a cold north or northeasterly wind will bring further snow showers to the Highlands and in coastal areas during the weekend. Pressure generally rises from the west during Sunday/Monday with freezing levels falling to low levels in many areas. Further gales, especially eastern areas will produce severe windchill.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Looks like the 'Gorm is open today!

A good pisted run awaits on the Fairway and the Ptarmigan Bowl has good surface conditions though quite narrow still. Typical early season conditions, a limited base from the past week or so, with fresh drifted snow, so if you go exploring look out for pointy things!

There is not currently a run to the mid-station, but there is a pisted track on the Traverse down to the top of the Zig Zags, which will shorten the hoof for tourers. Temps and snow level are forecast to drop over the weekend so a possibility that the Zig Zags will fill in a bit more.
snow conditions
wow thats great news!!! shame i live 400 miles south in manchester but i would love to get up there for a few early runs!!! for anyone whos up there, have a great day and think of us who cant get up there!!! you lucky sods!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy