Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
I had a look at a map earlier, just 285ft of ascent is required from the West Wall Boardwalk up through Overyonder to the old track round the Windy Ridge (you don't need to climb all the way to the top of the Daylodge Poma) on the hoof back to the Daylodge from the Ciste Gully. This was well worth it on Monday as the Ciste Gully was simply amazing, perfect smooth spring snow, the ascent is similar to the Top of the Ptarmigan Tow to the Summit. All in all, a bit under 300ft of ascent for 1500ft of lift served descent is a pretty good return, esp on 31st May!

Ciste Gully was loaded so hopefully no big holes appear before this weekend as it was possible to get to about 15yards from the boardwalk on Monday. Looking forward to doing it again this weekend! snowHead

Meanwhile I believe that Aladdin's Couloir will see skis shortly after Dawn on Friday 4th June! Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was watching a piste basher at work on the Ptarmigan webcam earlier in the day! Ptarmigan Tow is good to go for 10am on Saturday 5th June. Sat looks the better bet on the weather front atm, but still a bit of doubt on possible extent or not of shower activity on Sunday. Warm and humid, so a risk of things going pop later in the afternoons! About 4pm to allow a spot of fireworks watching from the Ptarmigan Restaurant would be good! Twisted Evil

Anyway, this weekend is your chance to summer ski/board Scotland, it's been 16years since this was last possible for lift served turns* - don't miss your chance, get up here and be part of it if you can. snowHead

*- CairnGorm Mountain last run surface uplift for snowsports in June in 1994, but could have done in 2001 were it not for Funicular construction work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm....it finally looks like the fat lass is finally clearing her throat Sad but what a great day yesterday (Sat 5th June).

Winterhighland's advice was heeded and the Ciste Gully and hoof out were well worth it - what a fantastic run! Also worth the hoof, ski, hoof, ski back to the bottom after doing the Coronation Headwall. A great way to end the season.

And with only just over 2 weeks until the days start shortening - winter will soon be on its way Toofy Grin !!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What an epic few days. Thursday-Friday me and my mate Hugo camped overnight in Coire an t-Sneachda, and on Saturday we chilled out lapping the Ptarmigan T-Bar at CairnGorm for June lift-served snowsports.

24 pictures (across 3 pages) from the overnight ski jam can be found here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/3/nc/10jun34/

We basically set up camp beneath Jacob's Ladder, and lapped it!

Epic sunset too:

Then on to CairnGorm for some lift-served skiing on Saturday:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200910/10jun5/

Hugo going off-axis:
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great pics - particularly like this one

Looks a bit of a busy route Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great photos, what camera you using?

How do you set it up for the last image?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks both. milnerhome, I'm using a Panasonic Lumix TZ8. My mate descended first, then set up the tripod and simply kept his finger on the button. Put the images together in Photoshop.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow what season and firstracks those pics an the blog are awesome - inspiring stuff, thanks for posting.

Here's to more seasons like this one! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers roga. Are you going to be up teaching again next winter?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
firstracks wrote:
Cheers roga. Are you going to be up teaching again next winter?

That's the plan yes, I'll hopefully manage to get more 'proper' skiing and training in than this season though - I need to push the envelope right out! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stunning photographs, i had to keep pinching myself and saying "its june not february"Amazing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
firstracks, wow what a great weekend you guys have had, also love the photoshop pic, shows how narrow the jacobs ladder route is! Lot's of respect I've looked down those couloirs in the summer and they're steep Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
firstracks, Fabulous photos - thanks. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all! - appreciate the replies snowHead
snow conditions
Ronald and I were at Cairgorm on Saturday as well. Had a little wander around with touring skis (me) and touring tele-mark (Ronald) Very Happy
Reuters were out taking photos: http://www.daylife.com/photo/01F9cJA0Yh44g
Spot the snowheads tee-shirt snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
proper job

was that a proper nae-tent bivvy too?? how was that?? Laughing (you guys have faith!!)

what was ye're route back up? up the lines themselves or scramble up the flank of the fiacaill
ski holidays
Cheers Barry. Aye, bivvy done minus tent. A bit chilly overnight with the clear skies, but thankfully the beer jacket was on by then so no problem! Route back up each time was a scramble/bootpack to Windy Col (flank of the fiacaill).
snow report
firstracks, amazing photos! I particularly love this one: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/9262-1/009.jpg
The dip at the end looks chilly! Shocked
snow report
Saturday was faboulous. Superb atmosphere on the mountain, great fun and the snow wasn't bad to ski on at all...

The run down the Coire na Ciste impressed me. Much wider then I expected from the photos... and I managed to do Teleturns (4th day on Tele) almost all the way down to the boardwalk. It was still complete and skiable, barring a few collapsed snowbridges which you could ski past, to within 20 meters of the boardwalk.

Will absolutely return to Scotland for sliding...
ski holidays
Ronald, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Ronald wrote:
Coire na Ciste
complete
a few collapsed snowbridges

While I'm all for some creative writing with regards to Scottish conditions I'm not sure 'complete' and 'collapsed snowbridges' should ever be used in the same sentence Laughing
snow report
andytb, It's amazing that they were still able to ski to the boardwalk and even that last patch a month after we did it. Very Happy I suspect that many people like Ronald who hadn't tried it before would be very impressed. Shame more don't try it! Very Happy
ski holidays
andytb, Maybe you should make an attempt not to chase people off with futilities like that ? For all my rather limited knowledge of the English language my description IS a correct and accurate representation of the truth. The whole sentence taken into account it means its not complete, yet skiable by someone who is not exactly well balanced on Telemark gear.

I skied around wider holes in slopes that were actually open and liftserved higher up and earlier in the season.. lets name it Grindelwald in March so its impressive we could make it this far down in JUNE, no less then full 3 months later.

You post adds exactly nothing at all but bait for an argument.
snow report
Is the fat lady likely to be singing or skiing this weekend at the 'Gorm????
ski holidays
kitenski, when we got up the lady announcing on the train already mentioned it could be the last day. They made it to sunday by the skin of the teeth (uptrack, queue area were already dodgy on saturday... sunday they only got down the right side through the park as the left side was going fast)
snow report
Ronald, it was scenes such as this that came to mind immediately so forgive my abrupt nature. That afternoon opened my eyes to skiable terrain that I wouldn't have considered before. It was entirely possible for us to ski round, for example, this collapsed snow bridge.. over heather Cool
latest report
Looks fine to me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andytb, Nowhere near as bad.

Check pics at H11lly's report on Winterhighland:

Pics don't seem to want to hotlink so click Wink

I think your links are further down along the Ciste chair? -- we could only get near the boardwalk to WWC, was absolutely nothing below.

I think i can spot the boardwalk.. if i'm right its quite amazing how little of the Ciste was lost to thaw really over the last 2 weeks...

Very little lost in terms of skiable in fact...

We got about as far as the person in black, left of the middle, maybe a bit more even.
ski holidays
Ronald, That's Andytb himself. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, snowHead Toofy Grin

Snowmediazone should do facebook style tags!
snow report
has s nowsports finished now at cairngorn or they still open at weekends? I know the other scottish resorts closed a while back ut what are the conditions like at the top of Glencoe and Nevis???
ski holidays
Winterhighland

After hoofing it back up and over to the daylodge from the Ciste boardwalk last weekend, I've just spotted that you said:
Quote:

you don't need to climb all the way to the top of the Daylodge Poma) on the hoof back to the Daylodge from the Ciste Gully
Embarassed Embarassed

Of course, we did indeed end up climbing to the top of the Daylodge Poma......We set off up the piste and just kept to the left of the right hand snowfence. Er, where did we go wrong? I assume we should have traversed more right at some point?

Meanwhile, Winterhighland website (which I assume has some strong connection with Winterhighland, him/herself) is promoting a walk up Cairngorm for a midsummer ski on the weekend after next. Is there likely to be anything skiable down the Ciste for the return run? Anybody been up this week?
ski holidays
Good conditions in Tower Gully on the Ben yesterday - still a long descent to be had with 10 yards walking to link 2 sections. Good corn snow all the way, small cornice, blue skies... perfect!
A couple of cracks & some bridges low down that may not last too long if it stays warm.

Pics & vid to follow...
latest report
And in reply to the OP...

arv wrote:
Wonder if we can keep a Scotland thread alive this year?!

I think the answer is probably YES!!
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
And in reply to the OP...

arv wrote:
Wonder if we can keep a Scotland thread alive this year?!

I think the answer is probably YES!!

Yep, just limp it along a bit further to mid-summers day with discussion of what's left, then after mid-summer we can start speculation of when it will all start to fall again snowHead (Although interestingly the tickets they were giving out on the 5th June already said 2010/11 season on them. Maybe it changed with the tax year?)
ski holidays
wigan, Quite likely, I tried very hard to persuade the tax people that the year should end at the end of the winter ski season, but they weren't having any of it! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Well thats good news... Means our NEXT season already started Wink
snow report
Ronald, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
offpisteskiing's blog:

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy