Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Winterhighland, any idea of current conditions in Tower Gully or the 'Gorms gullies (Aladdins etc?). Reasonable walk to ski ratio still?? Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is soooooo tempting. I'm heading up to the Cairngorms to do some walking, but the thought of skiing is swaying me slightly. What's the rental gear like there? Don't really want to have to take my own stuff for one day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, you could take your boots and rent the skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The rental gera I saw was pretty bog standard, TBH, but it's better than not skiing Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, I'd take my own boots if I was you but the rental stuff isn't bad at Cairngorm. They have Salomon gear and it's regularly renewed but obviously this season will have seen a hell of a lot of usage and I'll bet there's been some serious wear and tear on the standard stuff. They do however hire higher end skis as well so might be worth asking about them.

Have fun if you do manage to get up Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Willets has just mentoined snow on the Highlands!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Helen Willets has just mentoined snow on the Highlands!!

johnboy Is that a french verb? Je mentoin, vous mentoinez etc....Toofy Grin

Anyway, great stuff regardless - we're up there again this weekend:D.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With regards the steep stuff in the Northern Corries of CairnGorm, there was some action in Sneachda over last weekend, I know that Aladdin's Coulior saw some descents. While there has been little chance in higher level snow cover since Sunday, do bear in mind the FL and possible effects of this weeks freeze/thaw cycling on the snow pack.

For those seeking lift served sliding, CairnGorm Mountain will be open this weekend including Monday 31st May for the Bank Holiday. Given no change in Top Basin cover this week and forecast for cool temperatures to persist into the weekend at least, it is hoped that the Ptarmigan Tow will be open on Sat 5th and Sun 6th June - this will as ever be subject to the usual caveats of snow/weather permitting, somethings in Scotland never change! Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing in June - read it and weep mainland Europe !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In fairness I'm sure a number of European resorts still have snow patches of equal or greater size than that currently in the Ptarmigan. It's just they wouldn't be viable to run!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ArseneWengen wrote:

Plenty of snow left in mainland Europe as it happens...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing wrote:
ArseneWengen wrote:

Plenty of snow left in mainland Europe as it happens...

By the look of the webcams it looks like you could still ski back into Tignes Val Claret from the glacier
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevew, I think you could ski all the way down to the village here with a couple of bare patches to cross. However we aren't/won't be open and Cairngorm will. Very Happy Wonderful - I love it that they'll be open for the 2ns bank holiday in May. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ are you back in L2A now Charlotte?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, yes, left Bath Tuesday, arrived here 21.00 Weds night Very Happy
latest report
Just confirmed, we'll still be enjoying Top to Middle riding this weekend. The Gunbarrel* has been checked out and has been given the thumbs up, so the Funicular will be middle stopping. Very Happy

* Apart from the last 50yards, strongly advised to walk down the tow track around the big hole just in case! Laughing

The White Lady is still skiable too, wide in parts, it narrows into the burn course before widening out again on to the 'Skirt' and on out under the Funicular to the middle station. There's a short very narrow part near the top of the Elephant Fences, if straight lining on the snow is a bit too quick, the grass is very skiable by the elephant fence - just lookout for and be sure not to disturb the grazing elephants. snowHead
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
Just confirmed, we'll still be enjoying Top to Middle riding this weekend. The Gunbarrel* has been checked out and has been given the thumbs up, so the Funicular will be middle stopping. Very Happy

* Apart from the last 50yards, strongly advised to walk down the tow track around the big hole just in case! Laughing

The White Lady is still skiable too, wide in parts, it narrows into the burn course before widening out again on to the 'Skirt' and on out under the Funicular to the middle station. There's a short very narrow part near the top of the Elephant Fences, if straight lining on the snow is a bit too quick, the grass is very skiable by the elephant fence - just lookout for and be sure not to disturb the grazing elephants. snowHead

Winterhighland, If Cairngorm makes it into June, and New Zealand opens its first resort in early-June, then perhaps Cairngorm Mountain can put out a press release saying how the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere Winters are running sidebyside.
ski holidays
Can still get down the Gunbarrel to the middle platform, but you have to straight line the last bit then jam on the anchors at the bottom! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

sidebyside

We got married on Sunday, the party went on til Monday.
The guests had all gone, and we were alone
Quote:

sidebyside

We got ready for bed then...
I very nearly dropped dead when...
Her teeth and her hair, she placed on the chair...
Quote:

sidebyside

Well the shock very nearly killed me
as out her glass eye did fall
First one arm and then one leg
She propped against the wall
Quote:

sidebyside
etc.

Moral: there are some benefits to premarital conjugation.

Good skiing on BH Monday guys
snow report
Around 3 to 4 inches of fresh in the Ptarmigan Bowl overnight. Unfortunately that covering baseless areas, strong winds and virtually zero visibility put paid to skiing on Sunday - you can tell its a holiday weekend even if summer is just over 24hours away!!

Monday however is much more promising on the weather front, a dry and fine day with mostly bright and sunny skies and next to no wind for the Cairngorms.

If your in range, chuck the toys in the car, bring a sense of humour and have one last blast before spring rolls into summer to celebrate what has been a remarkable season, that might just not be over yet!
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:
chuck the toys in the car,

Is it possible to have an update where I'm simply placing skis gently into the roof box?
ski holidays
Shame its not actually a holiday here in scotland - I'm typing this from my desk at work. Yesterday was foul - was roller ski racing up the road from Rhynie to the Clash carpark against the raging torrent coming down the road. Looks nice today, hope you ahve a good days skiing at CairnGorm.
snow report
Some good piccys from Cairngorm today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282871/Four-inches-summer-snow-Scottish-skiers-head-heels.html
snow report
Good to see it in the Daily Mail. Someone is doing their job somewhere...
latest report
Whitegold, Well spotted! Good to see the national press getting in on the act. Very Happy
snow conditions
Whitegold, Excellent article, and the piccies are great,

"with now more than 143,000 visitors since the season started at the end of November"

With and average spend of £100 per head (I think thats what they work on?) thats a lot of cash into the local ecomomy.

(I was tempted to open the 'was the train worth it?' question Toofy Grin Toofy Grin but ive left my trolling hat at home Toofy Grin
latest report
Yep pretty good picture of my mate Hugo in the first photo on the DailyFail link. Here's one of my photos of the same jump from a different angle:

Anyway - another great day up the hill today. Kilted ski descents of Jacob's Ladder and Aladdin's Couloir on the last day in May, followed by a dive into Loch Morlich.

Following picture is me about to head down Jacob's Ladder

2 pages worth of pics up on H-I, link here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200910/10may31/
snow conditions
great photos there firstracks,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That 'Jacobs Ladder' looks a pretty steep line, and narrow too - is it a straightliner or is there room to stick turns?
ski holidays
Are there any tows turning today? Is there any chance that there could be lift served July skiing?
snow conditions
A bit red this morning even with factor 30! Embarassed

A truly amazing way to bring the curtain down on spring 2010 with blazing sunshine for a bank holiday Monday (lots of folk from around Glasgow up as that area does have it as a holiday). An overnight ground frost to below the mid-station meant even the fresh snow in the Ptarmigan Bowl was skiing nice and quick in the morning, did slow down a bit later on but not as much as I'd feared for fresh snow, the snow on the Cas and White Lady was just that beautiful ego enhancing fast crunchy granular spring snow that is an absolute delight to ski on. Fantastic fun in the bumps.

I think the pick of the lift served stuff has to Coire Cas, despite being narrow the spring snow was just great all day and the bumps just seemed to be in the right place in the Gunbarrel! snowHead

However the highlight of the day was 1500ft of vertical from the top of the Ptarmigan Tow to the foot of the Ciste Gully, just 15yards short of the West Wall Chair Board Walk. With little skiing traffic due to the walk out, it was just perfect smooth spring snow, to layout some nice carves on. It's the sort of run you wish would never end! Cool

^Funicular passengers got a grand stand view of the end of spring antics on the White Lady!

^Looking up the Ptarmigan Bowl from the foot of the T-bar. Still a variety of features in the park.

^The last semi lift served run of spring, but hopefully not the last, skiers disappearing into the Ciste Gully.

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=647

Finally, a video of a run from the Ptarmigan Restaurant to the Sheiling via the Traverse and Coire Cas. Complete all the way and despite being narrow, great fast spring snow that was a joy to ski on.

http://youtube.com/v/9ksyIq6DeRU
ski holidays
Great vid and piccies but looks a bit sketchy at points - question is will it last 'till the weekend allowing mid-summer lift-served sliding?
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
That 'Jacobs Ladder' looks a pretty steep line, and narrow too - is it a straightliner or is there room to stick turns?

Doesn't look like room for many turns, impressive, if it looks that steep in a photo it must be steep!

snow conditions
Alright... I'll probably make it to the list of maddest snowheads for this...

I'll be coming up to the Gorm this saturday with wigan for some sliding...
Is there anybody there who wants to say hi Smile ?
latest report
Ronald wrote:

Sure why not, I'd say it is as good as any glacier skiiing.
snow conditions
Peter Ross wrote:

Sure why not, I'd say it is as good as any glacier skiiing.

Which i greatly enjoyed when i did my Anwarter on the kitzsteinhorn Wink
latest report
Ronald, good for you. Enjoy. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
We were at Cairngorm on Monday 31st and had a fantastic day!

Blue skies, great snow and not too busy.

The highlights of the day were the 3 runs down the Coronation Headwall following a hike from the top of the Ptarmigan tow. Incredible views from the top and fantastic steeps to ourselves. Priceless! Very Happy Very Happy

We are planning another trip up there at the weekend, weather permitting. Have tent, will travel wink
snow report
Ronald wrote:

Yeah, you see, when I said to Ronald back on the EoSB "if you ever come over to the UK I'll drive you up to Cairngorm and we can ski" I wasn't really expecting the opportunity to arise until next winter... But hey! We'll give it a go and see what's left Very Happy
snow report
Bergmeister, Make sure you team up with wigan, and Ronald,. We want a good impression to go back to Holland! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy