Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 09/10 Weather Outlook Thread

brian
brian
andyrew, people laugh at you when you tell them the Moray Firth has its own foehn, but it's very real as you describe. Ripens all that barley for the whisky though, so not all bad. wink

Swirly, some rather promising charts for you popping up around next weekend, one to watch I think:

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian,

Just in time for me to dry out all my gear after a week in the rain Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey guys, is there a good novice introduction to weather in the alps somewhere? Or perhaps just a layman's write up of the snow situation and the forecast? What does the above chart mean exactly?

Basically I'm skiing in Alpe d'Huez the 28th March to the 2nd April inclusive and as far as I can see snow conditions are pretty good atm, so what should I be expecting for that week based on forecasts?

Googling hasn't been hugely informative and the Alpe d'H report thread seems pretty quiet.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, so I didn't read the sticky at the top of the forum titled "beginners guide...". Oops.

Also, found this site: http://www.alpedhueznet.com/snow_report.php so help not urgently needed now!

Reports/thoughts on Alpe d'Huez are very welcome tho!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sniff of some slightly below average temperatures from early April... It's flip flopped a bit, but the last few runs have been trending downwards from April... wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagneprevisionmassif/ALPES-NORD

looks like many people who have been baking in the sun all week in the northern Alps might need snow chains to get down from their resorts on Saturday. Heavy snow forecast across the whole region Friday afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep looks like snow is on the way from Friday night.....we could do with a top here.... snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So anyone care to stick their neck out for an Easter forecast??

I'm checking wigglies for the Arlberg and I think the runs are trending towards a cold spell, a slight warm up then perchance temps below average thru the first part of April (still lots of disagreement on this bit....)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, major dumpage over the next few days followed by glorious sunshine. What skiing in April is all about.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Meteosuisse going for 20-30cm in the Valais on Friday, 5-10 on Saturday. Snow line 1800m dropping to 1300m. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cham meteo concurs http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreMatEn.php

Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon look like nice breaks in the weather followed by a bluebird day on Monday and then more snow. Bring it on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobinch, that cham forecast actually says up to 40 metres of snow at 2500m but I think that's a tad optimistic. wink Looking good, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobinch, brian, bring it on indeed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow is coming in here earlier - and heavier - than forecast. At 0730 this morning at 1550m it was 8 degrees. It's now just below zero, snowing pretty hard, and windy too. The weather came in with a whoosh. One moment it was quite sunny and bright - though super windy, the next the cloud came down and it was very dark. The OH went down to move the car into the garage and had to brush quite a lot of snow off, after just about 40 minutes of snow. snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, unexpected powder day, excellent Smile
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
kitenski, It hasn't been freezing at night for several days, I don't think people will be rushing out today.

It is still raining in Flumet at 1000m.
ski holidays
The wind was blowing from the West this morning, right across the lake. An hour ago the webcams were showing Chamonix already getting a good covering but not much yet in Verbier or Zermatt. Imagine the Tarentaise is already getting some?

Cham meteo is now taking about a total of 60cm over the weekend.
snow report
 brian
brian
Incoming ...

snow report
Quote:

I don't think people will be rushing out today.

I'm certainly not. It's blowing a hooley, apart from anything else. I am making a large pot of French onion soup and trying to make sense of my wretched Orange Telecom bills. And looking out of the window every 5 minutes, of course.
snow report
 brian
brian
bobinch wrote:
Cham meteo is now taking about a total of 60cm over the weekend.

MeteoSuisse have upped Sat to 10-20cm as well, and dropped the pluie-neige to 1200m this evening, 1100m tomorrow. Very Happy
snow conditions
Excellent news.
One week till we go to Tignes Very Happy
snow conditions
Okay folks, crystal ball question.

We are in the 3V next Saturday, skiing Sunday until Friday. If it keeps snowing as it is, well happy days....

Well, will it? What is the outlook.

I apologise if this is a super daft question but I havent been following the thread or the weather at all. (as yet wink )
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, looking pretty good at the moment, though it's all a bit uncertain after the weekend. Absolutely chucking it down here for the past few hours, and it looks staying reasonably cold. Might be a bit of a snowy journey up there though......
latest report
pam w, really? My concern lies with typical April temperatures "eating" up the lovely new snow. It seems to be forecast until about Thursday. Lets say its stops then, will we still be skiing niced snow a week later? Or will it be a freeze-thaw slush-fest?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Lets say its stops then, will we still be skiing niced snow a week later? Or will it be a freeze-thaw slush-fest?

It all depends..... it was a thaw-thaw slushfest last week! Several nights when it failed to freeze at all. Temperatures look like being lower than they have been for the last 7 - 10 days. Given the large variation of altitude and aspect available in the 3 Valleys you'd be very unlucky (or simply not paying attention wink ) if you failed to find some good snow. And if you get warm sun, and have to stop skiing earlier in the afternoon and sit in a deckchair with a cold beer, would that be so terrible?
ski holidays
Skiing in April I'd be prepared to have to spend at least some of your time in that deck chair with a cold beer... Cool As pam w, says aspect is going to be quite important at that time of year, more immediately noticeably than at other times of the year perhaps. That said it looks at the moment like temperatures are likely to rise after this evenings snow then fall quite a bit around Wednesday and Thursday with what looks like quite a heavy rain at first turning to heavy snow (obviously where the freeing point ends up will be key). After that it actually looks pretty much below average (for April) temps for a while with a bit more snow. Perhaps.
snow report
 brian
brian
Another pretty active cold front coming from the west on Tuesday.
snow report
what's happened to my wigglies? This link doesn't seem to have updated since Midnight Sunday.....and the thick green line appears to have gone??

http://www.wzkarten.de/wz/pics/MS_745_ens.png
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, moved on wz, try:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_745_ens.png
snow conditions
brian, Very Happy
latest report
the local weather forecast has it raining to 2200m tomorrow, but I don't believe them. I'll go with the Chamonix forecast, which says 1700m dropping to 1000m towards nightfall. Meteo France has it lower but they've been wrong a lot recently. Strong foehn this afternoon - you could see it eating the snow. We had a big fall Saturday/Sunday but it's disappeared fast.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

Strong foehn this afternoon - you could see it eating the snow. We had a big fall Saturday/Sunday but it's disappeared fast.

Sad Sad
latest report
Need to go high. On Sunday around Mt Fort (3000m) there was powder. At Siviez (1700m) it was slush. Same in Chamonix yesterday. Great snow high up but rubbish low down. Looks like itgetting colder so Easter weekend could still be ok lower down. You really want to head high if you're making ski decisions now.
latest report
Looks like a week of temperatures about 3 to 5 degrees below seasonal averages coming up.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, snowHead snowHead and a fair bit of precipitation.
latest report
pam w, please be referring to white precipitation and not colourless Confused
latest report
Peter Leuzzi, that will depend on altitude, obviously, but overall not looking too bad. And nobody has booked to go to a low altitude resort for Easter, have they?????????????????????????
snow report
pam w, not this year, but I've had Easter in La Tania at 1300m for many years without any issues....
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Prospects right across the alps are below average temps with snow around for about the next week.
ski holidays
It just came in on cue. Temperature dropped 4 degrees within half an hour, and it's snowing. snowHead We chose the right time to come home.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy