Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 09/10 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Red Leon, long way away yet Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Red Leon wrote:
Spare a thought for those of us heading out w/c 20th rolling eyes The forecast could mean rain to high levels that week so let's hope it changes Crying or Very sad

The 18Z run looks even warmer Toofy Grin

I am out on 27th, so fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Well, I'm looking out my (Swiss) window and it's been snowing lightly but steadily since about 2pm. Should be a few cm up the hill tomorrow. The pistes here are already in excellent condition but then again it's been very cold and they're not getting much traffic.

Currently the weekend and early next week in the alps look like staying cold and predominantly dry then warming up as high pressure slips to the south east. Beyond the reliable timeframe GFS is currently going for full on springtime, sunny and warm by day, cool and clear by night whereas ECM brings back cold weather from the north around the 19th.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, lucky you, no snow here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, GFS,I think I understand but ECM? What's the difference?
snow report
 brian
brian
Colin Bell, ECMWF (when not abbreviated by me) is the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting.

http://www.ecmwf.int/about/overview/

They have their own weather model which competes with (and usually outperforms) the US weather service's GFS model. Unfortunately, only a very limited selection of their model's output is made available to the public. Sad

Swirly, not much but better than nothing. How's the car?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, working as of today so should be fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian wrote:
Well, I'm looking out my (Swiss) window and it's been snowing lightly but steadily since about 2pm. Should be a few cm up the hill tomorrow. The pistes here are already in excellent condition but then again it's been very cold and they're not getting much traffic.

Currently the weekend and early next week in the alps look like staying cold and predominantly dry then warming up as high pressure slips to the south east. Beyond the reliable timeframe GFS is currently going for full on springtime, sunny and warm by day, cool and clear by night whereas ECM brings back cold weather from the north around the 19th.

do you have a link to where I can see a ECM wiggley?
snow report
 brian
brian
ringingmaster, nope, they don't publish them. Just some charts, which are here:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsecmeur.html
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any thoughts on the 21st -25th in st anton?The wigglies are showing a rise in temps from around the 19th of the month coupled with some precipitation. Please don't tell me I am going to be skiing in the rain again :cry:After the warm/wet spell at New Year,I could do without that. Is there enough agreement on the runs yet?or could it all change?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hedley, Definitely looks like some spring like weather heading in from the second half of this week. And a fair chance of some precipitation which looks like it might well be rain in the village round Sunday/Monday, but snow mid mountain. But still a bit early to be really clear. So yes, it could all change for better or worse wink But even if it rains a bit in the village it still means lovely soft snow above!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
according to chamonix meteo the reliability of forecasts beyond Tuesday is "poor". Which, in view of some of the forecasts FLs over the weekend, is good news. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm just back from La Thuile and it was proper cold. A lot colder than I've ever experienced in March. Although I was lucky enough to have four blue sky days out of six, on the least cold day the temperature was -5ºC at the mid station. Then the coldest day was -18ºC at the top with a biting wind making it feel much colder. It took all night for my feet to thaw out!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hedley wrote:
Any thoughts on the 21st -25th in st anton?The wigglies are showing a rise in temps from around the 19th of the month coupled with some precipitation. Please don't tell me I am going to be skiing in the rain again :cry:After the warm/wet spell at New Year,I could do without that. Is there enough agreement on the runs yet?or could it all change?

looks pretty much in agreement that temps will rise, but how much isn't certain, ie on the 20th one wiggly has it at around 0, the other about +4.....so a bit far out for any certainty (if there is such a thing with mountain weather....)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 15-03-10 11:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, yeah there is still a degree of spread on the 00z run so i,m keeping fingers crossed its going to cool down a couple of degrees from the 22nd onwards.The further East you go the cooler it is I think which should help in my favour compared to the Geneva wigglies although at 1350 m St Anton is always marginal.
Lets see how it pans out.
I wouldnt be overly worried but its only a 4 night trip and my last one over New Yr I got absolutely drenched through for two days AAGGHHH!!
ski holidays
Can anyone out there see anything other than grot between this Saturday and the end of March? the weather has been fantastic the last few days, and the snow, though well skied, is mostly fine. But from Saturday onwards...... Sad

But we all know that forecasts beyond 2 days are not reliable. Repeat 100 times.....
snow report
pam w, It just needs to get a bit colder...............then it could be good...in others words pray it gets colder or ii will be skiing in les carroz rain again...ugh Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, Sad I shan't be skiing in any kind of rain. I am planning a very large, very good, very alcoholic, long Sunday lunch, with the friends who will be staying with us, and our neighbours. It's the annual "hot air balloon" festival in Les Saisies and if the weather is not as ghastly as forecast we will be out on the slopes enjoying the spectacle. But I'm not optimistic. In the kind of weather which is coming they can't get it up, anyway.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

But I'm not optimistic. In the kind of weather which is coming they can't get it up, anyway

Fear not, I have lots of adverts in my inbox offering to fix that particular problem. Drop me a line and I will forward them to you.
snow report
I'm off to Engelberg tomorrow. Can anyone explain why the GFS Hauptlauf has been consistently predicting much higher temps for 19th-21st than the rest of the wigglies on all recent runs?

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nope, but it looks pretty close to the kontrol. It's been dipping up and down a bit for the second half of the forecast over the last few runs, but consistently above average and warm over the next four to five days - and possibly beyond. Confused
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
it looks pretty close to the kontrol

Eh? It's about 5 degrees warmer than the kontrol on the 20th Confused
ski holidays
I was looking at the pattern rather than the exact runs, over the whole of the 00z run they follow each other very closely. Although it's about five degrees lower at one point on 26th. What I'd take from that is that there is an increasingly consistent warm trend emerging. The haupt is quite sensitive and jumps around a bit. But when the haupt and kontrol are matching each other then the forecast starts to feel more probable. I'd probably focus on that rather than the precise psition of the haupt. But some else may say this is tosh. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree there is no doubt that it's getting warmer but the question is how much. For my trip (18th-22nd) the haupt is predicting a heatwave Sad but all of the rest of the wigglies aren't so bad. This has been the case on every run for the past 3-4 days. I'm curious as to why the haupt is so far removed from the rest as normally 2-3 days before all the wigglies start lining up together. I'm praying the haupt is wrong and I won't get rained on.
snow conditions
On the basis of 00z I'd say rain to about 2000m+ on Saturday night, Sunday morning snow level will fall slightly. Haupt and Kontrol are actually pretty close round that point. Fingers crossed it might switch to a colder track...
snow report
How about this for agreement between Haupt & Kontrol...?

The sad thing is I'm off to Les Deux Alpes on 20th and this is rather depressing Sad
snow conditions
Red Leon, I wouldn't worry about any of that. The wigglies looked quite similar before my recent trip to La Thuile, i.e. above average temperatures and precipitation. The actual week turned out to be much colder than average but with very little snowfall and lots of sun. Weather forecasts seem pretty unreliable to me. The best one is looking out of the window in the morning!
snow conditions
queen bodecia,

There's always blind hope but this forecast is set in stone Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

There's always blind hope but this forecast is set in stone

Lachainemeteo: http://france.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/prevision_meteo_france_0.php doesn't look too bad, Sunday maybe a bit dreich but improving thereafter. I've always found them fairly reliable in the past.

OK its going to be quite mild, so ski high, but it is spring Cool . And anyway I'm getting a bit fed up of -18C .....
snow conditions
andyrew,

Never seen that one before - thanks. It still doesn't look very promising, though - this is for Les Deux Alpes at 1650m, I think

http://montagne.lachainemeteo.com/meteo/les-deux-alpes/alpes-du-nord/prevision_meteo_les-deux-alpes_alpes-du-nord_station_228_0.php

so +7 or +9C is not what I want to see. Give me -18C any day.
snow report
I'd prefer +7, we had a -18 day in La Thuile last week and it was horrible. Skiing in March should be about long sunny days and temperatures hovering around zero. We had a lovely day at +10 in Courmayeur last season.
snow conditions
Quote:

so +7 or +9C is not what I want to see. Give me -18C any day.

Let me know when you're going skiing Red Leon, and I'll avoid that week wink

Remember, those temps are at the village, and you've got a probable lapse of 2 to 3 C per thousand foot so you won't get to the top of the red eggs (they still there?) before its getting parky, could be below -10C by the time you get to the top above the Jandri. I did 2 weeks at LDA some time ago in lateish april, the froth on my beer froze at the top restaurant... There was no snow till you got up to cretes and nothing on the other side but we had a cracking time. Gave ourselves altitude sickness playing in the new powder down from the top.

I've done my share of -29C, skiing down Jerusalem as inefficiently as possible to generate some heat with my teeth chattering (while skiing, never had that before...) . It's Spring Cool Open another bottle and bring me some olives Cool (but I don't like the rain though)
latest report
andyrew wrote:
...the froth on my beer froze
Shocked snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
anyone got any wiggles predictions for saalbach next week. everywhere i look is saying different things. the warm weather is there but guessing that is resort level along with any rain. so am i right in saying that, this would transform magically into snow higher up the hill
latest report
Quote:

so am i right in saying that, this would transform magically into snow higher up the hill

There's a drop of 1C per 100M vertical rise, called the "lapse rate".

That all assumes nothing devious is going on like an inversion (but you're probably not going to get that next week).
ski holidays
It's not looking too bad, except for sunday which looks set to be a complete washout, not much doubt about that. We have already planned a good brunch (still have a pile of Tesco best bacon), and a nice siesta followed by a large early supper followed by a DVD. If it rains all day I'm not poking my head out the door. It was warm today, going to be warmer tomorrow, but exceptionally pleasant. Three days ago it was too cold to sit outside with a beer - today there were folk in shirtsleeves and we sat outside with several. Snow getting slushy on the southern aspect slopes, but that's liveable with. Tomorrow much the same, I think. the latest wiggles for this area have much colder and some snow around 26th - fingers crossed. Could be a whole lot worse. snowHead Les Deux alpes looks fine - some new snow up top for the weekend, then some nice sunshine to enjoy it in.
latest report
andyrew, I always work to that theory but in practise it seems to estimate a lower temperature than the measured one IME 1000m in height gives a 7-8 degree drop.
latest report
 brian
brian
andyrew, Swirly, 1C per 100m in dry air, can be 1C per 200m or more in well saturated air. 1C per 150m is a reasonable rule of thumb for freezing level in snow in the alps.
snow conditions
Quote:

IME 1000m in height gives a 7-8 degree drop.

Yes, that's true Swirly, The discrepancy would be the difference between the dry air lapse rate and the saturated one. Wikipedia has a reasonable discussion on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapse_rate#Dry_adiabatic_lapse_rate

A "dry" parcel of air is reckoned to lapse at 1C/100m but moist air is lower, I see wikipedia put it at 0.5C for saturated, I've used 3C/1000ft for dry and 2C/1000ft for saturated before. But the bottom line is that the average lapse rate will reduce to ultimately give a total value less than the predicted 10C/1000m. This is why places in the lee of mountains are warmer than the windward side, e.g. the Moray Firth, the moist air climbs over the cairngorms at say 2C/1000ft, rains, and then decends at 3C/1000ft, ergo a Nice day in Nairn ( or should that be Balmy Buckie ?) Laughing

P.s. Ahh - see you beat me to it Brian.
snow conditions
brian, andyrew, thanks for the explanation.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy