Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 09/10 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, good news, looks like the wigglies are keeping it cold for the foreseeable future as well (if we can believe them.....)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some big masses of precip swirling around N Italy on the Radar, one over the Gulf of Genoa, Turin and the Piedmont Alps heading north (to Zermatt, hopefully) and another over Bologna which could do some damage later:

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/radar/jump_ARPAP-1
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luigi, let's hope so. snow-less freezing fog this morning; really nothing to recommend it at all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, my guess is not much will make it over to the French side of the border except in the far south (Alpes Maritimes), an active front is forecast to run right around the Italian side of the Alpine Arc during today, should mean some serious dumpage for Italian Alps and S Austria, a bit doubtful of it spilling over to the North side into Switzerland, but the forecasts are still showing snow and Zermatt is right on the border, so still keeping fingers crossed.

Now more worried about the state of the roads here and Gatwick early tomorrow morning as there's heavy snow forecast fo the southeast corner overnight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi, hope you'll get some good stuff for Zermatt and have a trouble free exit from the UK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks pam w, it's now snowing on the Zermatt webcams Very Happy

Heavy snow (10-15cm) still forecast for parts of Kent & Sussex tonight Sad

Although forecast maps show the heaviest snow mainly over the Medway and Weald and not as far west as Gatwick.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there,

Does anybody have the wigglies reference for Montgenevre Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
neilkav, I made a handy little GFS map which tells me that the nearest to Montgenevre is the following:

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_745_ens.png
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski-finder wrote:
neilkav, I made a handy little GFS map which tells me that the nearest to Montgenevre is the following:

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_745_ens.png

Thanks very much ski-finder Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
unfortunately i am no expert in interpreting the wigglies, so was wondering if anyone could see any snow on the horizon for the french alps, espace killy region? snow forecast has a light dusting a couple of times in the next 9 days.

what are everyone's thoughts on the snowfall depths that snow forecast predict? are they usually over or under estimaters?

ta!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luckyV, all of the followers of this thread are pretty disparaging about the automated software engine that creates the snow forecast predictions. It can oscillate wildly and both under and over predict. Better to get superstitious in some way and read the musings your fellow snowheads here. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamonix Meteo which is the most reliable round here says 10cm tonight and 20cm tomorrow. Would be good Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks v much, kewhoward and bobinch. i am so excited i put on all my ski gear for no reason. not for long, mind.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luckyV, as far as I can tell snowforecast strips out one of the lines from the GFS, the haupt I think, and then extrapolates from that. This means the forecast can bounce around a lot - as does the haupt - except without the rest of the runs it lacks a lot of context and nuance. As with GFS it is better in the two to three day range and the more the same forecast appears the greater the reliability you might be tempted to treat it with...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any wiggly watchers know what its looking like for the Tirol over the next week? Haven't had enough of my wiggly fix lately, too busy looking at the snow here!
latest report
Quote:

Chamonix Meteo which is the most reliable round here says 10cm tonight and 20cm tomorrow.

well we had just a few centimetres overnight, but heavy from 6 am - around 25 altogether so far, maybe - hard to tell as it's drifting a bit in the wind. Wasn't the best day to have to drive to Geneva airport (which was closed at some points) but good to see it coming down. we certainly had far more than snow-forecast had us down for.
snow conditions
According to Snowforecast and local weather website, La Thuile was due to get 10-15cm today but apparently they got nearer 50cm!
snow report
Bit slow at work and rain stopped play at cricket in SA so its seems a good time to start to worry about the rain forcasted from the 25 Jan !! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

According to Snowforecast and local weather website, La Thuile was due to get 10-15cm today but apparently they got nearer 50cm!

the local forecasts, including Chamonix, haven't been any better overall than snow-forecast recently, with their estimates of amounts of precipitation. I think it's been very difficult to call - and remains so. Looks like we could get a big fall, or rather little, tomorrow evening and Sunday. Chamonix meteo describes the outlook from Sunday as "very uncertain" so I wouldn't get worried (or excited) about precipitation later in January at this point. There's not much consistency in the wigglies out there.

For the moment, snow seems pretty good in most places - quantity not too exciting, but quality excellent. Loads of sun, not too much wind, not cold. snowHead
snow report
Louis, 25th Jan, worry about the 23/24th Wink

The wigglies for Geneva for the 25th show massive diagreement with a huge spread of possible temperates from +8 to -about -8
latest report
Well off on Sunday to Bardonecchia - too late now to be worrying about wigglies...but surely 25th is too far out to be worrying?
snow report
Quote:

...but surely 25th is too far out to be worrying?

Yes, you right, but thats what we do here: we worry about any temp rises and rain a month away and then tell each other it is too far out to be worrying !
Blush
Enjoy your trip
snow report
the 25th is my first day on skis this year. +8c is unpalatable. if i believed in the existence of a higher power i might be tempted to pray!
snow conditions
The 00Z run seems to have settled down - at least for the Bardonecchia area. Only one 'line' out there in the tropical zone. I thought things didn't get to be a source of real worry until all of the wigglies were out there?

Anyway, I promised myself I wouldn't look again as tomorrow I shall see for myself what it's like. But it seems I have a bit of an unbeatable addiction........
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyway, I promised myself I wouldn't look again as tomorrow I shall see for myself what it's like

Laughing Can't think how you allowed that to happen. I can look out the window and I STILL look at the wigglies with my morning tea.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Anyway, I promised myself I wouldn't look again as tomorrow I shall see for myself what it's like

Laughing Can't think how you allowed that to happen. I can look out the window and I STILL look at the wigglies with my morning tea.

Laughing So, completely incurable and compulsive then? ~Somewhat akin to watching the shipping forecast through the summer.

But we're off to our aiport hotel and I am not, repeat several times, not taking the notebook with me, if only because my son has developed a very similar addiction to facebook and i'm going to make him go cold turkey.

The really sad thing is that I don't know if we'll manage to get away again this season but I'll still be wiggly watching when i get home.
snow conditions
It's too warm. Snowed quite hard overnight but it's heavy, claggy, leg-breaking stuff and it must have been raining down in the valleys. It's now really mild - barely freezing at 1500m.
latest report
All starts getting a little more serious when the date you depart is showing on the wigglies... I head out to Morzine on the 31st January. Plenty of variation in the runs that far out but between now and then temps seem below average with some further chances for snow between now and then...

*crosses fingers*

Plenty of time for some more white stuff and if not... pah... will beat feckin commutin' Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wigglies do seem to show it warming up til about the 21st before cooling down again, and perhaps some precipitation around....but then another warm spike appears to be on the cards for a few days (23rd ish) then mass disagreement as to wether it cools down or not after that....
latest report
kitenski, which wigglies are you monitoring? For reference I'm mostly keeping an eye on these:

ski holidays
ski-finder, this one for the geneva area (I think)

snow report
looking like it could be pretty baltic for next week, chance of some snow in the next few days and maybe something else on the horizon for the weekend??

chamonix meteo concurs:

TOMORROW - WEDNESDAY JANUARY 20
Fairly sunny morning - disturbance coming in later- snow likely towards the evening
THURSDAY JANUARY 21
TEMPERATURE : dropping highs.
EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL SUNDAY JANUARY 24 2010
Friday : fairly sunny. Saturday and Sunday : fairly active disturbance crossing over. Outlook is still uncertain.
Forecast reliability : fairly good until Wednesday - poor thereafter

wigglies based on Geneva....

snow report
kitenski, have you seen my GFS grabber... might save time uploading to snowmediazone
latest report
I'm a bit disappointed that Cham meteo doesn 't mention any quantities - which usually means they think there won't be much. The GFS is looking quite good for tomorrow/Thursday though. We'll see, but yes, it does look cold, which is good - what falls will be kept in good condition. Simply stunning two days here - blue sky from horizon to horizon and excellent snow from 1500m. Lower it suffered a bit in the warm at the weekend.
snow conditions
Looks like a big old Siberian High setting up next week. -20 possible Shocked
latest report
kitenski wrote:
wigglies do seem to show it warming up til about the 21st ...
warm spike appears to be on the cards for a few days (23rd ish)

Although warming, the average lines is still below the long term average.
snow conditions
Hmm, a big old high which will effectively repel all attempts by low pressure systems to penetrate its ramparts, maybe.

Still, nothing wrong with a bit of sunshine, snowHead
ski holidays
cham meteo now predicting some amounts...has anyone ever seen their reliability be anything but poor for > 3 days out??

TODAY - WEDNESDAY JANUARY 20 2010
PRECIPITATION : starting up towards the middle of the afternoon - locally moderate - rain-snow limit towards 600 m - expected snowfall towards 1000 m : 5-15 cm.
OVERNIGHT
Snow at first - improving later
PRECIPITATION : light and scattered in the first part of the night - rain-snow limit towards 600 m - expected snowfall towards 1000 m : 5-15 cm - dry towards the end of the night.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL MONDAY JANUARY 25 2010
Saturday : sunny - cold in the morning - fairly mild in the afternoon. Sunday : fairly active disturbance crossing over. Monday : improving. Outlook is still uncertain.
Forecast reliability : fairly good until Thursday - poor thereafter.
latest report
ringingmaster wrote:
kitenski wrote:
wigglies do seem to show it warming up til about the 21st ...
warm spike appears to be on the cards for a few days (23rd ish)

Although warming, the average lines is still below the long term average.

It wasn't on the Sunday wigglies, but is now, which just goes to show how much it can change.....
snow report
Any of you expert weather guys out there able to comment on the current situation in Southern French resorts (off to motgenevre in a few weeks) wrt what looks like an almost snow free fortnight predicted Sad Sad

I know things change quickly with the wigglies and 2 weeks is way to far to confidently look ahead, but the wigglies for this area have been pretty consistent for the last few days in showing accumulations very low looking forward.

guess I just wondered if anyone better qualified could cast their eye, and comment on how likely or not the 'dry' spell is to continue?

It's not the end of the world, as the resort currently has depths of 150/220, and temps look set to remain low, so we should be fine whatever Smile , but as with everyone here, we always hope for some fresh on our 1 week/year trip.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy